Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

I always get more bugs and desync on the US servers...compared to the EU servers, for me at any rate. Most of my sessions are relatively boring and playable...with the odd bug here and there to brighten up my day. I usually switch servers a fair bit though, I can tell when the server is getting old and when the desync is going to get a lot worse. A couple of hours...change servers...which is maybe why I don't get hit too often by the silly ones. Streamers don't have that option I suppose, meaning they get stuck on tired servers with the desync reaching stupid levels. 95% of all issues and bugs in SC are caused by the servers crapping out...and we can't do a lot about fixing it. Making SC work within those limitations, we can.

You're right about veteran players suffering less though. It's not got a lot to do with PC builds from what I see...unless there's an issue with Ryzen CPU's or AMD graphics cards I'm not aware of. One of my mates, a new guy I met during the Xeno threat thing, runs an old gen4 i5 CPU with 16GB of DDR 3 and a GTX 1060. He does have a SATA SSD though...he's running fairly smoothly, albeit at 15-30fps where as I'm in the 40's to 60's but he's since set up SC with my recommended settings plus a custom USER.cfg file I had him add. I also suggested he increased his Windows pagefile size to help compensate for the 16GB of fairly slow RAM. He rarely has any issues when we're playing...so I'd comfortably say it's definitely tied in to making SC work with what you've got and avoiding doing things that cause problems rather than just load it up and play...like normal games :)

There's still debate on whether a custom user.cfg file actually does anything, especially since OCS was implemented...but I still use it anyway...simple console command related settings like graphics memory pool, antialiasing settings( r_AntialiasingMode = 0), shader cache size etc. My mates Bronze age PC running SC seems to benefit from it at any rate...according to him...since I had him set the .cfg file up with common settings relative to his GPU and PC. This is all old school stuff we had to do to get SC working decently for ETF builds back when it was in the 2.5 to 2.6 patches...there's certainly a list of do's and don'ts I've always stuck to with SC since evocati...maybe that experience helps make the game run with less issues for us veterans of that era, I've no idea. 🤷‍♂️

And what's this with the double posting? I only clicked the button once then edited it :cautious:

Last edited:
One of the well-paid co-founders of this company, which raises money from consumers, has made no apparent contribution to the company in how long? Years? This employee is the wife (still?) of one of the other co-founders.

And the reaction of backers is to give the company more money and proclaim that it can't possibly be a scam.

One of the well-paid co-founders of this company, which raises money from consumers, has made no apparent contribution to the company in how long? Years? This employee is the wife (still?) of one of the other co-founders.

And the reaction of backers is to give the company more money and proclaim that it can't possibly be a scam.

To be fair, any marital issues have nothing to do with the game. These things do happen. The nepotism on the other hand...

pl
will more 'SC til I die' players see enough to make them think again about EDO?

EDO is not going to be Open Only.
EDO is not going to offer mission to counter the activities of other players.
EDO is not going to have real pvp bounty hunting.

EDO is not going to add any interesting multiplayer. There will not be any type of Risk vs Reward gameplay. Will still be huge and empty.

There are a lot of reasons to favor SC over ED that do not involve space feet.

pl

EDO is not going to be Open Only.
EDO is not going to offer mission to counter the activities of other players.
EDO is not going to have real pvp bounty hunting.

EDO is not going to add any interesting multiplayer. There will not be any type of Risk vs Reward gameplay. Will still be huge and empty.

There are a lot of reasons to favor SC over ED that do not involve space feet.

Its amazing how many people who enjoy flying spaceships don't give two figs about any of those things.

Sure, there are plenty of reasons people prefer SC over ED, even when ED gets Odyssey. There are also plenty of reason some people prefer ED over SC, but perhaps have steered clear for now because ED doesn't have space legs,and maybe Odyssey will be the thing that gets them to give ED a go.

braben.jpg
hands.gif

How's the sense of scale in SC compared to ED? I'm guessing it's much better just from having legs, but how's it look from the cockpit of a ship?
I heard that VR in ED is a wonderful experience for the sense of scale, but never tested myself.
For the 2D version, SC is really good on multiple levels. The main sense of scale is not given by the cockpit view for me. The main notables reasons :

The first one is when you see for the first time a ship in a hangar (especially the big ones). As you discover the ship, you generally turn around it and seek for entrance(s). Walking at human pace under a ship like a Hammerhead or a Starfarer make you feel very little.

The second one is when you enter a big ship. You have to walk a significant time to join the cockpit. Some have an elevator for 2-3 levels inside, long corridors, stairs, ladders... When you don't know the inside of a big ship you can be lost for several minutes before finding the cockpit. You know the ship is huge when you can get lost in it.

The third is in the tiny ships of SC. When you land your ship in a 890 Jump, see the hangar open and close, exit your ship and see it so tiny in the hangar, you feel your ship is small !
1202520-v-covalex890-10a-article_image_d-1.png

maxresdefault.jpg

The forth is when you see tiny details far away and know how massive they are. Below the Hurston dynamics building seen from space and from the city
Hurston-everus-harbor-01.jpg

45336d95-6ed8-4b94-9b8f-b8f1b28bc8a4

The fifth is the travels to get to your ship. When you take the metro to get to the airport, you feel the scale of the city. When you take an elevator for 10 seconds in station, you feel the scale of the station.

<snip> When you take an elevator for 10 seconds in station, you feel the scale of the station.
My issue with elevators , apart from the fact I couldnt get out of them, was there was no indication when moving regarding what floor you were on. The only thing that suggested you were moving was the marker for your ship getting closer.

Taken from that link about perma banning unwanted PVPers:

"Things have gone from "common sense" (my OP) to "totally ridiculous" (most of the other comments in here) to disgusting (your comment.)"

Dont we all think that at some point?

If I was Frontier Id have all the NPCs standing on chairs for a few hours at release of EDO, then they all jump down together saying 'Only joking' :)
That would be great if the alpha was released on April 1.

I heard that VR in ED is a wonderful experience for the sense of scale, but never tested myself.
For the 2D version, SC is really good on multiple levels. The main sense of scale is not given by the cockpit view for me. The main notables reasons :

The first one is when you see for the first time a ship in a hangar (especially the big ones). As you discover the ship, you generally turn around it and seek for entrance(s). Walking at human pace under a ship like a Hammerhead or a Starfarer make you feel very little.

The second one is when you enter a big ship. You have to walk a significant time to join the cockpit. Some have an elevator for 2-3 levels inside, long corridors, stairs, ladders... When you don't know the inside of a big ship you can be lost for several minutes before finding the cockpit. You know the ship is huge when you can get lost in it.

The third is in the tiny ships of SC. When you land your ship in a 890 Jump, see the hangar open and close, exit your ship and see it so tiny in the hangar, you feel your ship is small !
1202520-v-covalex890-10a-article_image_d-1.png

maxresdefault.jpg

The forth is when you see tiny details far away and know how massive they are. Below the Hurston dynamics building seen from space and from the city
Hurston-everus-harbor-01.jpg

45336d95-6ed8-4b94-9b8f-b8f1b28bc8a4

The fifth is the travels to get to your ship. When you take the metro to get to the airport, you feel the scale of the city. When you take an elevator for 10 seconds in station, you feel the scale of the station.

The planetary cities are really nice for a sense of scale. A shame you can't travel all around them, but for once i'd say this was a sensible decision from CIG, otherwise it would have added another few decades and a couple of billion to the development costs... and i think they have more than enough issues in those areas for the moment.

From Spectrum

From Lethality, slayer of MMOs, harbinger of failure.

Without any context whatsoever, that might as well be random words generated into sentences. That's literally of 0 value to backers.

Am I wrong to hope for some context with that, since, ya know, I'm actually not on the CIG dev team?

Top comments are on point.

the bigger and stranger the words the better! The whole purpose of it is to convince you into thinking stuff is actually getting completed, instead of just repeatedly restarted with new tools to replace the old tools.

And in other words they are no closer to finishing the darn thing.

I'm a senior developer (not unique in this game's community, I know) and I don't understand half these progress reports. I can only imagine the meetings that would follow a sprint review where I just spouted technobabble for fifteen minutes to stakeholders, without actually showing what I did or even explaining its value in terms a layman could understand.

Top Bottom