Star Citizen Thread v6

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Although I cashed out a few weeks ago, and had my very existence as a human being wiped from the annals of CiG... the lovely peeps there still send me emails telling me stuff I'm not entitled to know (being a dirty leaver an' all). They're still offering me bonus stuff as an Imperator Prime subscriber too; as much as I don't have an account or as much as a single penny sunk into the further development of Star Citizen and Sqn 42.

This snippet from the latest email:

With Star Citizen Alpha 3.0 in Evocati test phase and a lot of our developers working on wrapping up the remaining features and polish needed to get 3.0 into everyone’s hands, we have decided to focus CitizenCon on Alpha 3.0 and beyond.

Squadron 42 will be the focus of our Holiday Livestream in December, where we will preview some gameplay and share our roadmap for its completion.
Our single player campaign, Squadron 42, shares a large amount of technology and content with Star Citizen and both games fuel each other. Technology built for Squadron 42 allows for a better experience in Star Citizen and technology for Star Citizen opens up opportunities that take Squadron 42 to another level. Subsumption is an example of technology that is critical for both Star Citizen and Squadron 42. The Item 2.0 refactor and the Player Interaction Mode were essential for Star Citizen and it is now allowing new and varied gameplay in Squadron 42. Planet Tech, the Zone System and 64-bit precision allows us to expand the playscape for Squadron 42 to solar system scale.

We have a large team working on Squadron 42 and we’ve been making good progress towards achieving my goal to take the Wing Commander style narrative experience to the next level with first person gameplay that moves between foot, vehicles and incredible locations all rendered with a fluidity and quality that you normally only see in pre-rendered cinematic scenes. I am confident it is going to be worth the wait; a game that can hold its own with any other AAA story game.

There was a bit more, pointless trumpet blaring by CR himself in the main on how groovy things are at CiG, how marvellous and talented the dedicated Evocati are and veiled hints therein to prepare for 3.0 not being released to the live PU for quite a while...but we can ignore that since we all know it already.

Last edited:
Although I cashed out a few weeks ago, and had my very existence as a human being wiped from the annals of CiG... the lovely peeps there still send me emails telling me stuff I'm not entitled to know (being a dirty leaver an' all). They're still offering me bonus stuff as an Imperator Prime subscriber too; as much as I don't have an account or as much as a single penny sunk into the further development of Star Citizen and Sqn 42.

With Star Citizen Alpha 3.0 in Evocati test phase and a lot of our developers working on wrapping up the remaining features and polish needed to get 3.0 into everyone’s hands, we have decided to focus CitizenCon on Alpha 3.0 and beyond.

Squadron 42 will be the focus of our Holiday Livestream in December, where we will preview some gameplay and share our roadmap for its completion.
Our single player campaign, Squadron 42, shares a large amount of technology and content with Star Citizen and both games fuel each other. Technology built for Squadron 42 allows for a better experience in Star Citizen and technology for Star Citizen opens up opportunities that take Squadron 42 to another level. Subsumption is an example of technology that is critical for both Star Citizen and Squadron 42. The Item 2.0 refactor and the Player Interaction Mode were essential for Star Citizen and it is now allowing new and varied gameplay in Squadron 42. Planet Tech, the Zone System and 64-bit precision allows us to expand the playscape for Squadron 42 to solar system scale.

We have a large team working on Squadron 42 and we’ve been making good progress towards achieving my goal to take the Wing Commander style narrative experience to the next level with first person gameplay that moves between foot, vehicles and incredible locations all rendered with a fluidity and quality that you normally only see in pre-rendered cinematic scenes. I am confident it is going to be worth the wait; a game that can hold its own with any other AAA story game.

There was a bit more, pointless trumpet blaring by CR himself in the main on how groovy things are at CiG, how marvellous and talented the dedicated Evocati are and veiled hints therein to prepare for 3.0 not being released to the live PU for quite a while...but we can ignore that since we all know it already.

Heh, they mention Squadron 42 more times in that one email than they have in the last 3 years..

I especially like the
I am confident it is going to be worth the wait; a game that can hold its own with any other AAA story game.

That doesn't sound very confident and why is it now just a game that can hold its own, I thought it was meant to be something special. I imagine he used the exact same sentiment when talking about the Wing Commander movie.

Sq42 need to be smashing from day one of release or they won't sell any copies besides the ones they already sold to backers.

They also need to expand on steam or other sales platform, so it is going to win or break for CIG.

Sq42 need to be smashing from day one of release or they won't sell any copies besides the ones they already sold to backers.

They also need to expand on steam or other sales platform, so it is going to win or break for CIG.

Very true.

Many people won't even bother with a game, these days, unless it's on Steam. People like to curate their game library, more than they do have multiple game installers, so as you say it has to do really well to get people to break habit.

People like to curate their game library.

You don't have a game library unless you've got pages of BASIC ripped from magazines and grid paper with coloured-in 8 squares and the appropriate conversion to decimal.

And then you can maybe work out a fill function.

What CIG are doing with XML and a completely horrendous NTP association is utterly abysmal. Don't believe me - then look at the traffic yourself.

g8hXmde.png

Not the best choice of words.

That doesn't sound very confident and why is it now just a game that can hold its own, I thought it was meant to be something special. I imagine he used the exact same sentiment when talking about the Wing Commander movie.

Indeed, we went from boasting about the BDSSE to "it'll hold it's own".
I would not have a problem with this recent humility if CiG and fans had not gone around and told everyone that if you play any other game, you're basically stupid.

And yes, i think this has hurt other games. A lot of people held off of buying other games because SC was constantly "right around the corner".

...grid paper with coloured-in 8 squares and the appropriate conversion to decimal.

Ah, just had a wave of nostalgia reading that.

On topic to avoid a Yaffling - I missed this earlier but Derek has claimed to have spoken to a dev who has spoken to a CS rep, who confirmed that no refunds has always been CIG policy - but from now on refunds will be denied with these 'outside statutory refund period' emails by default.

He is also contradicting CR's claim of 800 Evocati testers, claiming only ~100 people are downloading the 3.0 builds.

I watched some of the meeting footage from this latest AtV and honestly it is surreal.

Viewing these meetings in the same week as seeing the leaked footage paints a very grim picture, there's no other way to say it.

It's all speaking for itself now, there's no need to buy into anyone's narrative. A very different situation from 12 months ago.

No dates, I see...

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom