Star Citizen Thread v6

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Funny, because FD put dates on their releases too; all being well by Summer 2018 they will be 3-0 in released games. :D :p

The poster must be sitting in moms basement while he writes nonsense like this. Game development is a project, projects are driven by two factors. Budget or time, I know that some try to shoe horn those two together but that never ends well.

SC is on both actually, budget because they only got so much, time because if not released the company will die, no other income.

It's a mess, and that explanation was plain rubbish.

Found this via the refund subreddit.

I'm seriously hoping this is a photoshop. Because if it isn't.....

xm58c0ofiorz.jpg

In 10ftC, Chris Roberts said they weren't scaling the size of the universe like other space games. He then said that actually yes they were scaling it, because otherwise travel times would be unacceptably long.

I think the thing that's confusing me here is the word "scale". I have no idea why anyone would use the word "scale" on a computer model.

To me, scaling a model means that every dimension within that model is proportionally correct to every other dimension. An example of a map which wasn't to scale would be like a map of France that has on it a picture of the Eiffel Tower that would be sticking far out into outer space.

So I'm assuming from the context that "scaling" means "shrinking". Is that right?

Slopey

Volunteer Moderator
Chris Roberts
Eh, ahhh I wanted... to mention it at project leadership meeting but it's important that the... QUALITATIVE feedback, uh... is filtered through, ah... TARD... and we'll make priority calls on it 'cos... there's some STUFF like you know, the 10001 error codes, yes with them we're definitely... we're definitely fixing, but then you know there's some SUBJECTIVE feedback of like, "I don't like THIS or I do like THIS" or whatever, now some of those issues they're calling out we already know about we're already working at addressing...

I always get a bit WORRIED because first of all we're getting ah... kind of SUBJECTIVE feedback that's sort of ANECDOTAL and so you know someone can have a strong OPINION but you know like, that could be THEIR opinion and maybe different to someone ELSE'S opinion as to whether it's a bug or not... so it has to go through the FILTER of us on the very HIGH LEVEL of the kind of DESIGN SIDE to make sure that you know, it's something that we wanna AGREE because a lot of the times people can't see the BIG PICTURE when they're making, ah... you know... FEEDBACK 'cos they don't know where the, you know, they're like, "WELL THIS IS MISSING! I NEED THIS!" and we're like 'yeah, no we know it's missing', it's kind of like on our TASK LIST, we're working on it right now, and we understand that... you know... it hurts your ability to dogfight if you can't see the status of your TARGET... or the status of your SHIP

Um, so... so I just wanna make sure we do that 'cos we're all worried that we automate it, some of these like subjective feedback get re-upped to JIRA, they get put in somebody's BUCKET, maybe they get ASSIGNED and you know... we'll spend some time working on stuff that needs to have... kind of... ahh... DIRECTION and... and... and... and... ORDER and PRIORITY called out.

SOMETIMES what people want to get FIXED, the solution is SOMEWHERE ELSE to fix the issue they're complaining about... so on the subjective stuff I kinda wanna make sure that, um... we're going through a FILTER on that.

Reading between the lines, does this not confirm that 3.0 has pretty much nothing in it, and the Avocados are complaining back to CIG with "Where the hell is X, Y, Z", and CR is giving it the "yeah, we know it's not there - bigger picture, bigger picture" excuse? I would take this to mean there's very little in 3.0 and when it eventually releases to the masses, they're going to be very very disappointed.

I think the thing that's confusing me here is the word "scale". I have no idea why anyone would use the word "scale" on a computer model.

To me, scaling a model means that every dimension within that model is proportionally correct to every other dimension. An example of a map which wasn't to scale would be like a map of France that has on it a picture of the Eiffel Tower that would be sticking far out into outer space.

So I'm assuming from the context that "scaling" means "shrinking". Is that right?

I'm pretty sure he either meant "scale it down", rather than merely "scale it".

https://i.redd.it/xm58c0ofiorz.jpg

Judging by reports it isn't.

Yeah, it's....bad.

Also I will say just one more thing - I will take FD lips shut no comment, improve and enjoy what you got at front of you approach over this maddening nonsense any day. Because that's how it works.

Enjoy your drinks while watching it going down.

Last edited:
I KNEW Eckhart was familiar but I couldn't place him.

I suppose we could consider this another "homage".

How many does that make?

I don't know in absolute terms, but I'd say somewhere in the region of 113% or so.

Recently i have been seeing a lot mentioned by CIG devs about the new "Delta Patcher" as i understand it this allows small changes and fixes to be downloaded without the whole build again.

I have played other games, i have played Ark Survival for the last 2 yrs, and ED also, i always get small incremental patches for new updates, and fixes.

Am i missing something about the "delta patcher" that makes it different to what games have been doing for years.

The only difference is that it took CIG 6 years to create something that is built into the game editing suite, that exists as dozens as third-party solutions, and that isn't even needed at this phase of development since rsync would have been the most fit-for-purpose solution. Other games covered that particular journey in 6 hours or so.

Last edited:

https://i.redd.it/xm58c0ofiorz.jpg

Based on how they've talked about their processes, and what has resulted from them, so far, I have a sneaking very strong suspicion that he is very precise and accurate in that description. Its being true would hold so much larger explanatory power in respect to… oh… everything, than if it weren't true.

Reading between the lines, does this not confirm that 3.0 has pretty much nothing in it, and the Avocados are complaining back to CIG with "Where the hell is X, Y, Z", and CR is giving it the "yeah, we know it's not there - bigger picture, bigger picture" excuse? I would take this to mean there's very little in 3.0 and when it eventually releases to the masses, they're going to be very very disappointed.

It sure sounds like it, and it matches (unsourced) claims I've heard from others about what's going on on the totally-open-development closed forums. The only thing I think you've read wrong is that last sentence: when it's released to the masses, they're going to be very very busy coming up with rationalisations why this is a good thing and why 3.1 will show everyone.

The poster must be sitting in moms basement while he writes nonsense like this. Game development is a project, projects are driven by two factors. Budget or time, I know that some try to shoe horn those two together but that never ends well.

Quality, cost and time; pick two. But if you have to factor in incompetence or unrealistic scope, you may end up with none..

Travel times between the moons in 3.0 have been calculated. Bear in mind that this is point to point gameplay.

Starting point is at (or very close to) Crusader.
Hurston= 8.4 minutes
ArcCorp= 11.4 minutes
MicroTech= 15.6 minutes

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/769q7x/total_time_to_stantons_different_planets/

I thought hanging around in ̶s̶̶u̶̶p̶̶e̶̶r̶̶c̶̶r̶̶u̶̶i̶̶s̶̶e̶ QT doing squat for minutes at a time is pure boredom and only shows how theres nothing to do in the game? Seriously, how is this suddenly a GOOD thing? Wow even the theories for this game become worse....

Must be pretty hard for the man to realize his most trusted apostles are the same as the rest of the world. Not in to pay his next vacation but actually EXPECTING something for their money.....the horror. Tho I think with his age and being responsible for 160 million dollars of other peoples money he would stay off the frustrated retort, he should at best be humble and apologetic and trying to make amends. Currently he pulls another "Star Marine is already in the PTU" nonsense behavior-wise.

http://i.cubeupload.com/wiidVu.jpg

Shhhs....You have no power here!!!!

OOooOOoOooohhhhhh....NOW I get it :rolleyes:

have a rep :)

2017 taken off the website.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/squadron42

Answer the call.....whenever.

This is good for Citizens cos...

https://www.reddit.com/r/Squadron42/comments/76az42/good_news_sq42_indefinitely_delayed/

[wacko][wacko][wacko]

Comments:

Putting dates on games is something an amateurish publisher would do. I'm glad CIG realized putting a time limit on perfection is foolhardy.

Obviously swimming in a pool full of kool-aid there.

I thought hanging around in ̶s̶̶u̶̶p̶̶e̶̶r̶̶c̶̶r̶̶u̶̶i̶̶s̶̶e̶ QT doing squat for minutes at a time is pure boredom and only shows how theres nothing to do in the game? Seriously, how is this suddenly a GOOD thing? Wow even the theories for this game become worse....

They have dreamed up all this in-ship gameplay stuff to do, so now they have to ensure that enough time is spent travelling through space with nothing going on that you are forced to have time to enjoy that stuff. Also, those numbers don't seem to jive with the mobiglass readouts we saw a little while back…

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
2017 taken off the website.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/squadron42

Answer the call.....whenever.

This is good for Citizens cos...

https://www.reddit.com/r/Squadron42/comments/76az42/good_news_sq42_indefinitely_delayed/

[wacko][wacko][wacko]

Oh wow. This is big.

Finally CIG starts to make peace with its crazy date setting. Hopefully this will also transpire to the rest of the usual Chris Roberts misleading hype and we can see a stop of that nonsense too.

The price to pay for more realistic date discussions (even if it is its absence) will be less funding that is for sure. How much, hard to say.

Oh wow. This is big.

Finally CIG starts to make peace with its crazy date setting. Hopefully this will also transpire to the rest of the usual Chris Roberts misleading hype and we can see a stop of that nonsense too.
That will come as we get closer to the END of this agony....also expect things like:"unfortunately current tech can´t follow Croberts vision...."

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom