State of the Game

Oh, look at my micro-stutters! (once youtube finishes chewing it to shreds)
Source: https://youtu.be/6Jby-KirWaE

Oh, sorry, I didn't get any, even at 4K ULTRA - but then, my PC is built to play games, not spreadsheets...

i didn't have any issues updating the game and launching it, or exiting.. yet there are people having those issues. The test i was doing though was rotating about the axis of the ship from noise to tail, so that the cone of view was not changing and the rate of rotation is higher. Not using yaw (or pitch). Which both have slower rates and would also include variables that may introduce additional rendering load due to rendered objects coming into view (regardless of distance).

I repeated it multiple times going back and forth between horizons to make sure it wasn't a fluke. It's definitely there in odyssey, despite the framerate being 180-200fps on average during the motion. Not there in horizons.

Oh, look at my micro-stutters!

Microstutters are almost impossible to actually see and usually present as a loss of smoothness of motion, as if the frame rate were much lower than what was being displayed. A stutter you can see as a stutter is just a stutter.

I do see some stutter in that video, but there is absolutely no way of knowing if they were there in the game or not, or if they are just a side effect of recording at slightly above one third of the game's frame rate.

Anyway, if you want to demonstrate a lack of stutters you should capture the present interval and MsBetweenDisplayChange with a tool based on PresentMon.

Microstutters are almost impossible to actually see and usually present as a loss of smoothness of motion, as if the frame rate were much lower than what was being displayed. A stutter you can see as a stutter is just a stutter.

I do see some stutter in that video, but there is absolutely no way of knowing if they were there in the game or not, or if they are just a side effect of recording at slightly above one third of the game's frame rate.

Anyway, if you want to demonstrate a lack of stutters you should capture the present interval and MsBetweenDisplayChange with a tool based on PresentMon.
It was smooth - I was there all of the time! Sending to youtube is a guaranteed mess, I don't know why I bothered really 🤷‍♂️

3YVZ.gif

liz-lemon-30rock.gif

backing-you-get-yours.gif

i didn't have any issues updating the game and launching it, or exiting.. yet there are people having those issues. The test i was doing though was rotating about the axis of the ship from noise to tail, so that the cone of view was not changing and the rate of rotation is higher. Not using yaw (or pitch). Which both have slower rates and would also include variables that may introduce additional rendering load due to rendered objects coming into view (regardless of distance).

I repeated it multiple times going back and forth between horizons to make sure it wasn't a fluke. It's definitely there in odyssey, despite the framerate being 180-200fps on average during the motion. Not there in horizons.

Out of curiosity, I went to an isolated area of normal space and rotated my CMDR's DBX while using FrameView (which in turn uses PresentMon, which itself gathers data from ETW) to capture a few thousand frames to see if there was any sign of stutter.

I was playing at 4k custom ultra, with nothing around and no frame rate caps of any sort. FPS was ~180, completely GPU limited.

Motion was perceptibly smooth, and there were no meaningful stutters recorded, but there is about a 10% variance in the present intervals, which is not particularly great for nothing happening.

Excerpt attached.

Oh yeah, it's a spreadsheet.

Attachments

• FrameView_EliteDangerous64.exe_2022_01_25T144844_Log.xls
    739 KB · Views: 45
Just tested Horizons in the same area. No meaningful difference in present interval variance, but frame rate was 80% higher for the same view, as expected.

Out of curiosity, I went to an isolated area of normal space and rotated my CMDR's DBX while using FrameView (which in turn uses PresentMon, which itself gathers data from ETW) to capture a few thousand frames to see if there was any sign of stutter.

I was playing at 4k custom ultra, with nothing around and no frame rate caps of any sort. FPS was ~180, completely GPU limited.

Motion was perceptibly smooth, and there were no meaningful stutters recorded, but there is about a 10% variance in the present intervals, which is not particularly great for nothing happening.

Excerpt attached.

Oh yeah, it's a spreadsheet.

I did a back to back again and recorded the monior on my phone to maybe give a better representation of what i'm seeing and it's weird. In odyssey, when spinning, the stars dont create a consistent blur dash. It kind of pulses between dash and dot-ish. This may be giving the appearance of a stutter when there is none. In horizons, the motion dash is very consistent the entire rotation. No variation. In odyssey, it is jumping back and forth.. almost like during rendering the motion effect doesn't happen for a frame or two every so often while moving.

Also, i can't believe i didn't notice this but the thruster blob from rotating is visible in horizons.. and completely absent in odyssey. Same Ultra preset in both...no customizations. Did they change the default to not render that in odyssey? When rotating counterclockwise, i'd expect to see my thrusters active (in anaconda) ...but in odyssey there's nothing, in horizons there's huge thruster effects visible.

edit: thruster blob effect not thruster blur effect.

Last edited:
Did they change the default to not render that in odyssey?

Haven't tested it from first person myself as my CMDR hasn't used anything but Apex and his DBX in eight months, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's one of the things they destroyed in the early rush to get more frames for Odyssey.

Haven't tested it from first person myself as my CMDR hasn't used anything but Apex and his DBX in eight months, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's one of the things they destroyed in the early rush to get more frames for Odyssey.

Some screengrabs from a couple videos.

So it isn't even a dash really but a copy of the star multiple times creating the motion blur effect. In horizons, they are so consistently spaced and sized that they appear like a dash. In odyssey, the inconsistency creates a pulsing / jitter effect.

Source: https://imgur.com/a/DzZstp8

So it isn't even a dash really but a copy of the star multiple times creating the motion blur effect. In horizons, they are so consistently spaced and sized that they appear like a dash. In odyssey, the inconsistency creates a pulsing / jitter effect.

What's the difference in frame rate?

Top Bottom