In-Development StatusDisplay - status.json / journal display and surface navigation assistant.

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
Beta 0.0.4.4 released. Download link: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...0/StatusDisplay_Beta_0.0.4.4_20181006-1449.7z

Change log:

1) Fixed bug in parsing of GuiFocus and FireGroup from status.json.
2) Fixed bug in Tiny panel hiding when GuiFocus <> 0, i.e. not the straight ahead view out of the cockpit (it wasn't).
3) Fixed bug in Options panel that prevented both enabling and disabling Tiny panel.

Known issues:

1) Border of main panel cannot be toggled therefore main panel size must be set using new panel settings dialog.
2) Main panel may not immediately resize using dialog - workaround is to toggle the border of the main panel (I'm not sure why this works but I'll take it....).
3) The settings dialogs may at times become unresponsive. If this happens, activate a panel or MFD display (by clicking on it with the mouse) and then LEFT ALT-Q to quit.

To do list:

1) Add inter-system route handling.
2) Improve parsing coverage of possible events listed in the Journal documentation.
3) Add defined buttons to display information read from the Journal.
4) Improve defined button display based on status.json information.

Last edited:

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
Beta 0.0.4.5 released. Download link: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...2/StatusDisplay_Beta_0.0.4.5_20181017-1825.7z

Change log:

1) Converted MFD centre elements to a pseudo-panel, uses MFD display elements but can "chunk" them together;
2) Changed save-file format to use Base64 rather than hex for MFD and Panel assignment settings; increases number of possible panels to 4095 (the same as for MFD elements) and paves the way for reworking the display of panels on MFDs (to be the same as for Panels, for the centre section);
3) Bugfix in Options dialog (was refreshing and closing up drop-downs);
4) Activating any window permits the use of LEFTALT-R to toggle recording of session history (interleaved journal and status.json data, as it is published by the game);
5) Added some slightly more verbose status flag display panels (3-off, 9 flags per, in the order published in status.json).

Known issues:

1) Border of main panel cannot be toggled therefore main panel size must be set using new panel settings dialog.
2) Main panel may not immediately resize using dialog - workaround is to toggle the border of the main panel (I'm not sure why this works but I'll take it....).
3) The settings dialogs may at times become unresponsive. If this happens, activate a panel or MFD display (by clicking on it with the mouse) and then LEFT ALT-Q to quit.

To do list:

2) Improve parsing coverage of possible events listed in the Journal documentation.

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
Beta 0.0.4.6 released. Download link: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...6/StatusDisplay_Beta_0.0.4.6_20181019-1904.7z

Change log:

1) MFD centre elements can now display either elements or panels.
2) Added one more flag panel which shows all 27 flags at once (similarly to the existing 3x3 slightly more verbose flag panels).

Known issues:

2) The settings dialogs may at times become unresponsive. If this happens, activate a panel or MFD display (by clicking on it with the mouse) and then LEFTALT-Q to quit.

To do list:

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
I've been working on a feature that will assist the player in following a non-trivial circumnavigation route (i.e. neither transpolar at constant longitudes x° and (x + 180)°, changing at the poles only, nor the equatorial route at constant latitude = 0°).

For a given starting point and initial heading, the great circle route is calculated and the player's current progress along the route and deviation from the route are calculated every time the positional information updates. A "target" point, slightly further along the route is calculated and also the bearing from the player's current position to it, i.e. the heading to get back on track.

There are currently two panels relating to GCN (Great Circle Navigation), a data display and a graphical track display. These need a bit more work - however I expect to release Beta 0.0.4.7 tonight with this new feature - and to invite comments as to how to improve upon the display aspects.

First WIP image of the graphical track display (and the second one - now showing the track in the correct orientation):

unknown.png
unknown.png

Last edited:

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
Beta 0.0.4.7 released. Download link: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...4/StatusDisplay_Beta_0.0.4.7_20181026-1850.7z

Change log:

1) Added "countdown" display element and panel - effectively a user-configurable timer for which the display flashes when the time has elapsed. It has a "snooze" feature. ;)
2) Added "Great Circle Navigation" feature and panel - allows the user to be guided on an arbitrary great circle route (defined by initial point and initial heading). The closest point on the GC, related to the player's current position, is calculated in real-time and a "target point" (a bit further along the GC) is calculated for the player to head for. A track error "tolerance" is also included to warn the player when they "step off the path".
3) Added a position "track" display, initially for Great Circle Navigation but also for just trundling around when the vehicle has position lock.
4) Added a 9x3 flag display panel (to complement the previously added 3x9 version).

Known issues:

2) The settings dialogs may at times become unresponsive. If this happens, activate a panel or MFD display (by clicking on it with the mouse) and then LEFTALT-Q to quit.

To do list:

Last edited:

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
Downloaded the Journal documentation for 3.3 Beta 1 - a fair number of additional events to be handled - and also there are a number of new control bindings to consider.

.... I may be some time (but will attempt to have StatusDisplay handle both 3.2.1 and 3.3 Beta 1 without resorting to two versions).

toggling main panel

Hi there,

I downloaded you app last night and think it's pretty cool. Nice work.

Is there a way to toggle off the main panel so that it's not visible? I've mainly used the tiny panel and a couple of mfds

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
Thanks! :)

Unfortunately, the main panel is not able to be hidden - I'll take a look at it as part of the changes to support Chapter 4 (although I expect to release a Beta version supporting 3.3 well before 3.3 actually launches).

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
Very nice indeed!

I expect to release Beta 0.0.4.8 this evening - taking on board the new "instantaneous" fuel readings from status.json in Beta 3.3.

I've downloaded it and have it running, but it doesn't appear too be talking to either status.json or the journal log, as I get no data. Is there something I need to do to point it at the correct files?

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
The application should automatically find them in "%USERPROFILE%\Saved Games\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous", the default location that the game stores them in - on Windows 10, anyway.

Have you tried using the "File" button on the Options dialog (right click on any StatusDisplay window and it should appear) to direct the application to the path where the game stores your log files / status.json?

Hi Robert, thanks for that great tool!

When defining an POI entry in the navigation.json, what should go in BodyID? In the Dav's Hope example there is BodyID:9

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
Thanks!

The BodyID should correspond to the BodyID reported in the journal for the body in question. In the example, the BodyID of 9 corresponds to "A 5" in the "Hyades Sector DR-V c2-23" system.

I should point out that it's not yet used to determine whether the CMDR has positional information from the correct body - but it should in future.

The application should automatically find them in "%USERPROFILE%\Saved Games\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous", the default location that the game stores them in - on Windows 10, anyway.

Have you tried using the "File" button on the Options dialog (right click on any StatusDisplay window and it should appear) to direct the application to the path where the game stores your log files / status.json?

I did. I haven't stopped/started Elite since I did that, though, so next time I play we'll see if it works.

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
Very odd - StatusDisplay is not dependent on the state of the game when running - it simply looks to the relevant files in the default storage location for updates. Unless it is a permissions issue and the default storage location is not accessible by the application?

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
Beta 0.0.4.8 released. Download link: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...2/StatusDisplay_Beta_0.0.4.8_20181119-2021.7z

Change log:

1) New bindings added for Chapter 4;
2) New Ch.4 events added (not necessarily implemented but StatusDisplay is prepared for known events);
3) New Ch.4 status.json flags / data added;
4) The refresh rate of all windows can be individually set in the range 1 Hz to 16Hz.
5) Bugfix relating to some drop-down settings.

Known issues:

To do list:

Very odd - StatusDisplay is not dependent on the state of the game when running - it simply looks to the relevant files in the default storage location for updates. Unless it is a permissions issue and the default storage location is not accessible by the application?

I found the problem.

I migrated my user directory to the E drive, but for some reason %USERPROFILE% still points to the C drive (which is an SSD and not where I want my user directory!). Now to figure out how to fix that.

EDIT: Well, it required jumping through a bunch of hoops, but I fixed my profile, so hopefully that will solve the problem.

Last edited:

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
Beta 0.0.4.9 released. Download link: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...9/StatusDisplay_Beta_0.0.4.9_20181201-1404.7z

Change log:

1) Fix to tracking of which MFD or panel is being configured; should stop settings windows becoming unresponsive;
2) FSSSignalDiscovered event now collated.

Known issues:

To do list:

Top Bottom