In-Development StatusDisplay - status.json / journal display and surface navigation assistant.

I found the problem.

I migrated my user directory to the E drive, but for some reason %USERPROFILE% still points to the C drive (which is an SSD and not where I want my user directory!). Now to figure out how to fix that.

EDIT: Well, it required jumping through a bunch of hoops, but I fixed my profile, so hopefully that will solve the problem.

I ran into the same problem. I moved all my user folders to another HDD, not the boot SSD I have, noticed StatusDisplay not working. Tried pointing SD to the json file but that didn't help. I moved the Saved Games folder back to its default location and SD is working again. Probably best to leave that folder on the SSD anyway as it gets written to and read from often whilst playing and using SD.

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
StatusDisplay currently relies on the "USERPROFILE" environment variable to determine where to find journals and status.json. If this variable is incorrectly set then the app can't find the files.

I don't know how helpful this will be but I added all the MFD elements from StatusDisplay to my windows on my 11" monitor so I could get an idea of how they look and what they do. I've uploaded them to an imgur album in case it helps anyone setting up this app.

https://imgur.com/a/4Qd5GOu

I found that I needed to add the border to my MFD windows, if I didn't the windows could occasionally resize themselves. I think this is due to my using a 1920x1080 monitor for the MFDs and my main monitor being 4k.

Now I just need to figure out which functions and feedback I want on the MFDs.

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
Not too sure why the MFD windows are resizing themselves. When borderless, the only way to resize them is to do so in the MFD settings dialog. There is an issue where, if a monitor enters power saving mode, the windows end up in the wrong location. When this happens, the simplest way to have them revert to the correct position is to click the "load" button on the Options dialog.

Not too sure why the MFD windows are resizing themselves. When borderless, the only way to resize them is to do so in the MFD settings dialog. There is an issue where, if a monitor enters power saving mode, the windows end up in the wrong location. When this happens, the simplest way to have them revert to the correct position is to click the "load" button on the Options dialog.

I’ll try the load button if it happens again but so far I’m not seeing an issue if I put the borders on.

I ran into two issues, one was if the window was dragged from the 11” monitor to the 4K, the other would occasionally happen if I tried to change the size.

The window size seemed to have something to do with the resolution being different. I might start with a 540x540 resolution but the window would get larger if i dragged it around. I eventually ended up with around 840x860 which fits. Turning the border on makes it stable and it doesn’t resize.

The other problem would happen on occasion when I changed the size and hit the set button. In this case the window I was setting would disappear. I didn’t try the load button but it might correct that if it happens again.

I don’t know if this is just my configuration or not but I noticed that if I am on firegroup A the display shows FG:- but it displays correctly for other fire groups.

I suppose I could try starting with a fresh .ini file to see if that helps.

One last thing would be the Current HUD Mode display. It looks like it lights up when in analysis mode and off in combat mode. Would it be possible to change the text to reflect the current mode along with the change in brightness?

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
Beta 0.0.5.0 released. Download link: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...6/StatusDisplay_Beta_0.0.5.0-20181230-1320.7z

Change log:
1) Fixed FireGroup display, now with added "FireGroup A"!
2) Added more "LEFTALT" bindings; LEFTALT-C co-locates all windows; LEFTALT-L loads settings; LEFTALT-S saves settings; LEFTALT-O shows options dialog.
3) HUD Mode display "fixed" - now shows which HUD mode is selected.
4) Friends event now collated.

Known issues:

1) Border of main panel cannot be toggled by double-left-clicking the window therefore main panel size must be set using new panel settings dialog.

To do list:

1) Add inter-system route handling.
2) Improve parsing coverage of possible events listed in the Journal documentation.
3) Add defined buttons to display information read from the Journal.
4) Improve defined button display based on status.json information.

Last edited:
I don't know how helpful this will be but I added all the MFD elements from StatusDisplay to my windows on my 11" monitor so I could get an idea of how they look and what they do. I've uploaded them to an imgur album in case it helps anyone setting up this app.

Yes, it was helpful. It is a starting point. Thanks. :D

https://imgur.com/a/4Qd5GOu

Now I just need to figure out which functions and feedback I want on the MFDs.

Me too. :)

StatusDisplay currently relies on the "USERPROFILE" environment variable to determine where to find journals and status.json. If this variable is incorrectly set then the app can't find the files.

Any way to set the journal path manually, allowing it to be run on a seperate PC and accesing the journals over a network.

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
Not yet - and it probably should be an option....

In the meantime, there are two command line options that exist to allow status.json and journal information to be "published" from one PC to a location where another PC can read it. This requires StatusDisplay to be run from a location accessible by both PCs, using the "/Publish" command line parameter on the source PC and the "/ReadHere" parameter on the destination PC. See "StatusDisplay /?" for help.

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
Pondering the "read from a different PC on the network" problem, I've come up with a quick and simple solution - StatusDisplay Beta 0.0.5.1 will check for the existence of the "SD_PROFILEDIR" environment variable and, if it exists, use the content of that in lieu of "USERPROFILE" when looking for status.json, journal files and bindings.

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
Scratch that last pondering - Beta 0.0.5.1 released. Download link: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...2/StatusDisplay_Beta_0.0.5.1-20190105-2213.7z

Change log:

1) Addition of StatusDisplay cumulative CPU utilisation as a percentage and as core-seconds.
2) The path that StatusDisplay uses to locate journal files, status.json and the bindings file is that contained in the environment variable "USERPROFILE". StatusDisplay can now be redirected to a different directory by appending the desired path to the second line of the settings file, e.g. SD:00000000000000B1;C:\Users\User where "C:\Users\User" is the desired path. This requires that the PC on which StatusDisplay is running has read access to the storage location, i.e. the user folders, on the target PC.

Known issues:

1) Border of main panel cannot be toggled by double-left-clicking the window therefore main panel size must be set using new panel settings dialog.

To do list:

1) Add inter-system route handling.
2) Improve parsing coverage of possible events listed in the Journal documentation.
3) Add defined buttons to display information read from the Journal.
4) Improve defined button display based on status.json information.

I have been testing out accessing status and journal over network connections and can't get it to work.

My setup:
Elite Dangerous is running on main PC and is installed on the C-drive
Save games (journals and status.json) are on the D-drive. They have been moved by right clicking (then properties-loaction) on the saved games folder in windows: (D:\Users\username\Saved Games\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous)
Bindings are located in the normal location on the C-drive: (C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous)

Third party apps, including Status Display, are running on a separate PC.
The D-drive on my main PC is shared out and accessible as N: on this PC.

I have the following setup in StatusDisplay.ini

Code:
[StatusDisplay]
SD:0000000000000061;N:\Users\username\Saved Games\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous.
[STARTS]

Any obvious problems spotted here?
How does StatusDisplay react to spaces in the path?
How does it find both bindings files and journals?

Last edited:

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
I have been testing out accessing status and journal over network connections and can't get it to work.

My setup:
Elite Dangerous is running on main PC and is installed on the C-drive
Save games (journals and status.json) are on the D-drive. They have been moved by right clicking (then properties-loaction) on the saved games folder in windows: (D:\Users\username\Saved Games\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous)
Bindings are located in the normal location on the C-drive: (C:\Users\username\AppData\Local\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous)

Third party apps, including Status Display) are running on a separate PC.
The D-drive on my main PC is shared out and accessible as N: on this PC.

I have the following setup in StatusDisplay.ini

Code:
[StatusDisplay]
SD:0000000000000061;N:\Users\username\Saved Games\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous.
[STARTS]

Any obvious problems spotted here?
How does StatusDisplay react to spaces in the path?
How does it find both bindings files and journals?

Many thanks for testing.

To read journals and status.json, try:
Code:
[StatusDisplay]
SD:0000000000000061;N:\Users\username
[STARTS]

At present, it is assumed (dangerous, I know) that the bindings files hang off the same directory structure as journals and status.json - and the redirect path is to the main user directory.

Many thanks for testing.

To read journals and status.json, try:
Code:
[StatusDisplay]
SD:0000000000000061;N:\Users\username
[STARTS]

At present, it is assumed (dangerous, I know) that the bindings files hang off the same directory structure as journals and status.json - and the redirect path is to the main user directory.

At work, so have to wait until this evening before I can test. Report to follow on progress.
Quick question.
Is access to bindings file required when I don't use MFD panels?
Should there be a full stop at the end of the line?
Code:
SD:0000000000000061;N:\Users\username.

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
At work, so have to wait until this evening before I can test. Report to follow on progress.
Quick question.
Is access to bindings file required when I don't use MFD panels?
Should there be a full stop at the end of the line?
Code:
SD:0000000000000061;N:\Users\username.

Access to bindings is only required if the user wishes to automatically import MFD bindings onto the relevant MFD window.

A full stop at the end of the line will be included in the path (which is assumed to run from immediately after the semi-colon to the end of the line) and therefore "break it".

Access to bindings is only required if the user wishes to automatically import MFD bindings onto the relevant MFD window.

A full stop at the end of the line will be included in the path (which is assumed to run from immediately after the semi-colon to the end of the line) and therefore "break it".

Thank you.
Reason I asked about the full stop is because every other line in the settings file has one.
All is clear now (I hope) and I'll test it this evening after shovelling about 15cm of snow out of my court yard.

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
Thank you.
Reason I asked about the full stop is because every other line in the settings file has one.
All is clear now (I hope) and I'll test it this evening after shovelling about 15cm of snow out of my court yard.

No problem at all. :)

The full stop at the end is a way to spot malformed lines that should conform to a specific format. As the path is an unknown, I decided to use all of the remainder of the line and not assume that the user would append a full stop.

Best of luck with testing (and shovelling!).

Best of luck with testing (and shovelling!).

Everything is now working fine.
Will dive into the journal docs now to look at possible panels.

I have played around a little. This is a very nice tool and I have to confess that I have checked the price on MFDs now :)
Have to let things quiet down a bit after X-mas though.

Top Bottom