In-Development StatusDisplay - status.json / journal display and surface navigation assistant.

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
Great! Also, would be possible a panel that reports the target's targetable modules list? (with health if possible, not sure if this information is available)
P.015 [2744] Targeted Ship should give the targeted module and its health. I don't know of a journal event that lists all modules that can be targeted.

Hi there, new to the forums, is it possible to run this mdf display on an Arduino or rasberry pi powered display? Im looking to integrate an MFD into a button box I am building

I built a Button box specifically for StatusDisplay. Still working out the kinks with using StatusDisplay itself, but I decided that creating a separate button box built around a 7 inch monitor would be a cheaper and cleaner looking option than trying to attach Cougars to a larger monitor.

View attachment 200181

Parts list and Instructions can be found Here: Multi Function Display For Elite Dangerous
I saw in your description you used a rasberry pi display, would this work with an arduino?

I saw in your description you used a rasberry pi display, would this work with an arduino?

Yes. What I did is I have an Arduino and wired they keyboard buttons to that, and the Rasberry Pi display just functions as a USB monitor.

When all is said and done the monitor has 3 wires coming out of it: One HDMI, One USB that powers the display, and one USB that connects to Arduino.

Yes. What I did is I have an Arduino and wired they keyboard buttons to that, and the Rasberry Pi display just functions as a USB monitor.

When all is said and done the monitor has 3 wires coming out of it: One HDMI, One USB that powers the display, and one USB that connects to Arduino.
Ahhh! i gotcha, i thought you needed a rasberry pi to run the display. Cool, and you just run the MFD program off your PC and pin it to you button box monitor correct?

Ahhh! i gotcha, i thought you needed a rasberry pi to run the display. Cool, and you just run the MFD program off your PC and pin it to you button box monitor correct?
Yep. As far as my PC is concerned there are two devices from this box: 1 monitor, 1 keyboard.

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
Beta 0.0.9.5 released. Download link: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...1/StatusDisplay_Beta_0.0.9.5_20210531-2102.7z

Changelog:

1) Added Odyssey bindings;
2) Added new Status.json flags;
3) Added framework handling for new journal events;
4) Implemented "synthetic" flags based on journal events, i.e. "Target Locked"; "No Limpets"; "Docking"; "FSS Mode" & "DSS Mode";
5) Added Backpack panel (analogous to Cargo panel);
6) Added On-Foot status panel.
7) Bug-fix to Cargo panel; total cargo added.
8) Options dialog decluttered (a bit) with the addition of a menu for some options.

To do list:

1) Improve parsing coverage of possible events listed in the Journal documentation.
2) Add defined buttons to display information read from the Journal.
3) Improve defined button display based on Status.json information.
4) Improve command set.

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
Beta 0.0.9.6 released. Download link: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...5/StatusDisplay_Beta_0.0.9.6_20210604-2130.7z

Changelog:

1) Added a radio button to the "Boost Sync" menu to indicate the current boost state in the app, which will differ from the game if the boost has been carried over from a previous session.
2) Added menu item to open development thread in default browser.
3) Added menu items to open Discord channel & Discord invitation in default browser.
4) Fixed storage of trigger flags in multi-panels - broken in 0.0.9.3 and further in 0.0.9.6 after increasing the number of multi-panel tabs and flags.
5) Fixed storage of priorities in multi-panels - broken in 0.0.9.3 with the addition of two more multi-panel tabs.
6) Multi-panel "hide-tabs" flag will need to be reset as it has been "moved" due to the increase in the number of stored priorities.
7) Added Roboto Mono font.
To do list:

1) Improve parsing coverage of possible events listed in the Journal documentation.
4) Improve command set.

Version 4 of my button box incorporating the status display program. I am still planning on adding a second screen above the one in the box to act as a HUD
IMG_0828.jpg

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
Beta 0.0.9.7 released. Download link: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...0/StatusDisplay_Beta_0.0.9.7_20210823-2119.7z

Changelog:

1) Fixed bug in range / fuel estimates in Range and Fuel panels.
2) Added file dialog box to select which bindings file to use when loading bindings on to MFDs.
3) Added optional SLF and Foot binding sets to MFD displays.
4) Added Fleet Carrier landing pad map to docking panels.

To do list:

4) Improve command set.

Last edited:
Hello,
I love your Status Display and the progress you've made.
I use them on 2 side monitors when i fly, but this only works for me in Windows. Since 1 or 2 weeks i use ED on Linux Mint via the last Proton release. Status Display will start, but doesn't connect to the status.json. I think because it looks on the wrong place. Is there a way to fix this?
Keep watching the skies and fly save
o7
T.Mayer

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
Thanks.

By default StatusDisplay looks in "C:\Users\<username>\Saved Games\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\" to find game published files. It reads the "USERPROFILE" environment variable to determine the "C:\Users\<username>" part of that path.

The app can be told to use a different directory in lieu of the "USERPROFILE" value by putting the desired path at the end of the second line of the INI file. Change the "." at the end to a ";" then add the path to the "Saved Games" directory (don't put a "\" at the end of that user defined path).

Thanks.

By default StatusDisplay looks in "C:\Users\<username>\Saved Games\Frontier Developments\Elite Dangerous\" to find game published files. It reads the "USERPROFILE" environment variable to determine the "C:\Users\<username>" part of that path.

The app can be told to use a different directory in lieu of the "USERPROFILE" value by putting the desired path at the end of the second line of the INI file. Change the "." at the end to a ";" then add the path to the "Saved Games" directory (don't put a "\" at the end of that user defined path).
Followed the instructions but they are a little vague. If I am using a network folder to connect to the journal files would \\ComputerName\ED work or do I do "\\ComputerName\ED" be needed? Do I need to put a ; at the end of the new line or a period?

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
Any user defined path requires to point to the directory where the user's "Saved Games" folder exists; no characters are needed around the path; nothing should be appended to the end of the line.

Last edited:

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
Beta 0.0.9.8 released. Download link: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...2/StatusDisplay_Beta_0.0.9.8_20220102-2148.7z

Changelog:

1) Added next jump fuel indicator to fuel gauge panels.
2) Fixed landing pad position error for Carrier landing display (pads 14 & 15 were swapped).
3) Swapped order of Latitude / Longitude to Longitude / Latitude wherever displayed.
4) Fixed error in panel display - some panels were ignoring the "ToEdge" setting on both grids and MFDs.
5) Bug fix: fixed a bug in Button 2 which would cause a crash to desktop.
6) Implemented UserDefinedButtons; up to 128x three line (each line of up to 10 chars) buttons can be defined in a UserDefinedButtons.json file in the same directory as the executable which are read once when the app is launched. UserDefinedButton_Manual_v0.pdf refers.
7) Removed "TinyHardpoint" references and replaced with "UtilityHardpoint".

To do list:

4) Improve command set.

Followed the instructions but they are a little vague. If I am using a network folder to connect to the journal files would \\ComputerName\ED work or do I do "\\ComputerName\ED" be needed? Do I need to put a ; at the end of the new line or a period?
Hi Robert,

Facing the same issue i did some tests.
Here's what I've found out.

1) You have to set a share to the folder c:\User\<Username> on the computer Elite is running on
2) You need to link that folder to your computer running StatusDisplay
3) In the StatusDisplay.ini-file:
[StatusDisplay]
SD:0000000000000371;Y:

Y = the disk share

Hi Robert,

Facing the same issue i did some tests.
Here's what I've found out.

1) You have to set a share to the folder c:\User\<Username> on the computer Elite is running on
2) You need to link that folder to your computer running StatusDisplay
3) In the StatusDisplay.ini-file:
[StatusDisplay]
SD:0000000000000371;Y:

Y = the disk share
Yeah, got that figured out. Thanks for the help.

Is there a way to edit the Grid0 Settings elements outside of the GUI? I am finding it really painful to go through the drop downs and alter the stuff I want. It would be nice if you could use the "P codes" in an excel sheet and save it as a CSV and "import" the layout. I totally get the dropdowns, although it would be nice if they were just text boxes and you could type the "P codes" in yourself. The only other thing would be a legends that tells you what codes are available with a description.

Top Bottom