Subnautica

Aaaaaah! I only just crafted that last night, but thought it had something to do with lifting heavy objects. Didn't realise you could use it on fish. Thanks!

I'm gonna eat tonight! Yaaaaaay!
You can also use gravity traps.

In any case, catching fish is only really needed in the first stages of the game. Later on you're going to grow plants, both on air and in water and if you like a fish diet, you're going to have aquariums where you can keep and grow them, too.

Also a word of warning - The crater the game takes place is a closed ecosystem. Fish procreate really slowly and there is a finite number of edible species as well as individuals within the species. It's very easy to make a species go completely extinct! I didn't know that the first time I played and I obliterated the Bladderfish and Peepers entirely.
Later on, if you're lucky and you have some eggs, you can repopulate, but it's really hard!

Last edited:
I barely scratched the surface of this thing ages ago and am VERY impressed with what I've been hearing. One thing tho, have they revisited their shoddy controller support in VR? I remember it being quite rough on a pad and it needed work... and touch controller support.

I barely scratched the surface of this thing ages ago and am VERY impressed with what I've been hearing. One thing tho, have they revisited their shoddy controller support in VR? I remember it being quite rough on a pad and it needed work... and touch controller support.
No. VR is horrible. Maybe in the new one they're going to make something different but I doubt they are planning to fix the original Subnautica's VR controls.
And honestly, as much as I love both Subnautica and VR, I don't think it's a good option here. They originally added the VR support just because at the time it was trendy to have VR support, but I suspect they've never spent any considerable amount of dev time on it.

Such a shame. Looks gorgeous but the controls are hideous. Would really have liked to give it a spin on the Valve Index this summer!

You can also use gravity traps.

In any case, catching fish is only really needed in the first stages of the game. Later on you're going to grow plants, both on air and in water and if you like a fish diet, you're going to have aquariums where you can keep and grow them, too.

Also a word of warning - The crater the game takes place is a closed ecosystem. Fish procreate really slowly and there is a finite number of edible species as well as individuals within the species. It's very easy to make a species go completely extinct! I didn't know that the first time I played and I obliterated the Bladderfish and Peepers entirely.
Later on, if you're lucky and you have some eggs, you can repopulate, but it's really hard!

That's actually one of the things I'm really loving about the game, how your needs evolve as you progress. At the very start, it's just I need air. I need water. I need food! And panicking trying to source them.

I'm now just reaching a point where things are starting to get more comfy. Got the propulsion cannon (makes finding food easy and fun. I now even have a cupboard with cured food in it!!), the Seaglide for getting around quickly, the ultra-high capacity tanks, a battery charger and the Scanner HUD upgrade.

Thanks for the warning about the fish stock, I thought I was just paranoid (or unlucky) when trying to find bladderfish around the escape pod. I think I've probably destroyed their numbers there. But I've just about got to the point where I can start farming (but don't yet have an aquarium) so can start being Mr. sensible and Sustainable for a change.

I'm really impressed how (probably) the least fun part of ED (scavenging, harvesting, synthesis, engineering) is pretty much the entirety of this game, and it's so much fun.

That's actually one of the things I'm really loving about the game, how your needs evolve as you progress. At the very start, it's just I need air. I need water. I need food! And panicking trying to source them.

I'm now just reaching a point where things are starting to get more comfy. Got the propulsion cannon (makes finding food easy and fun. I now even have a cupboard with cured food in it!!), the Seaglide for getting around quickly, the ultra-high capacity tanks, a battery charger and the Scanner HUD upgrade.

Thanks for the warning about the fish stock, I thought I was just paranoid (or unlucky) when trying to find bladderfish around the escape pod. I think I've probably destroyed their numbers there. But I've just about got to the point where I can start farming (but don't yet have an aquarium) so can start being Mr. sensible and Sustainable for a change.

I'm really impressed how (probably) the least fun part of ED (scavenging, harvesting, synthesis, engineering) is pretty much the entirety of this game, and it's so much fun.
One of the awesome things about Subnautica is settling in.
I'm not going to spoil it for you by telling how good your self-sufficiency and comfort can get. But I will say that at some point it stops being about survival and starts being about living on a planet and exploring at your leisure. When I was finishing the game I was telling myself - I could live like that, actually. :)

One of the awesome things about Subnautica is settling in.
I'm not going to spoil it for you by telling how good your self-sufficiency and comfort can get. But I will say that at some point it stops being about survival and starts being about living on a planet and exploring at your leisure. When I was finishing the game I was telling myself - I could live like that, actually. :)

Yeah, I think I'm just reaching that point. It took me a long, long time to find the first Ruby deposit (which unlocks a lot of blueprints/items) and once I found the first they were everywhere. I used to have to go on periodic salt-hunts, now I have so much I had to install a bin and regularly clear the stuff out.

Initially, the only 2 or 3 deaths I've had were getting stuck in wrecks and being unable to reach the surface in time. The fauna I could just ignore/outrun. That's really changed in the last couple of nights.

Ran into (what I think is called) a Warper? Heard a sound, turned the sub around, and was whipped outside into the water. After realising what happened, tried to get back in an run away and was nearly insta-killed. Then last night I was exploring looking for one of the facilites, and heard a 'dead zone' message. Turned and ran as fast as I could but could hear lots of ....scary.... sounds coming from behind me. Ended up in a brief and very one-sided fight with 3 Ghost Leviathans

There's no way in hell I'd play this in Hardcore mode. There's too much blind exploring and you've no idea what kind of creatures you'll find and/or how they'll behave/attack. It's bad enough having to rebuild the SeaMoth & all its upgrades each time, but having to start the entire game again would 'kill me'.

I don't know how much further there it to go in the game, but the whole 'to progress further, you have to go deeper. Darker. Quieter' thing is definitely freaky. The game is pretty light and cartoony at the start, and more horror-y at this point.

Yeah, I think I'm just reaching that point. It took me a long, long time to find the first Ruby deposit (which unlocks a lot of blueprints/items) and once I found the first they were everywhere. I used to have to go on periodic salt-hunts, now I have so much I had to install a bin and regularly clear the stuff out.

Initially, the only 2 or 3 deaths I've had were getting stuck in wrecks and being unable to reach the surface in time. The fauna I could just ignore/outrun. That's really changed in the last couple of nights.

Ran into (what I think is called) a Warper? Heard a sound, turned the sub around, and was whipped outside into the water. After realising what happened, tried to get back in an run away and was nearly insta-killed. Then last night I was exploring looking for one of the facilites, and heard a 'dead zone' message. Turned and ran as fast as I could but could hear lots of ....scary.... sounds coming from behind me. Ended up in a brief and very one-sided fight with 3 Ghost Leviathans

There's no way in hell I'd play this in Hardcore mode. There's too much blind exploring and you've no idea what kind of creatures you'll find and/or how they'll behave/attack. It's bad enough having to rebuild the SeaMoth & all its upgrades each time, but having to start the entire game again would 'kill me'.

I don't know how much further there it to go in the game, but the whole 'to progress further, you have to go deeper. Darker. Quieter' thing is definitely freaky. The game is pretty light and cartoony at the start, and more horror-y at this point.

Oh, yeah. The game goes MUCH deeper than where you are. (judging by your ruby comment - most higher grade mats are depth-dependent)
The Warpers are basically guardians. They sense the infection on you and won't leave you alone until you're cured
When comes to the Leviathans, Ghosts are actually fine. Don't go into the Dead Zone. It's basically a map border. There's no reason to go there. You will encounter them deeper down as well, but they are pretty tame, compared to their even deeper sibling. :LOL:
Don't forget they are blind as a bat (which isn't really a good comparison, in reality most bats see better than us.). If you turn your ligths off and don't move (or hide behind some mushroom or whatever) they will not attack unless they literally bump into you. And eventually they move on.

As for the horror-ness of the game - I've never really felt it. Yes, there are some jump scares and creepy music, but most of the time, I felt surprisingly comfortable and encouraged to explore.
But I agree that I wouldn't play it on hardcore. I didn't die that many times, but I definitely did die on occasion and it would be really frustrating to have to start over.

Last edited:
I came across a good interview with the design director of subnautica. There are some good thoughts about game designing in there. Who ever is interested, maybe other game-designers, can take some insight from it.

Subnautica definitly works for me. I just finished to build a Cyclop and started to make some kind of nautic map. The next thing for me is to find the disease research facility.

Last edited:
I came across a good interview with the design director of subnautica. There are some good thoughts about game designing in there. Who ever is interested, maybe other game-designers, can take some insight from it.

Subnautica definitly works for me. I just finished to build a Cyclop and started to make some kind of nautic map. The next thing for me is to find the disease research facility.

To bad it seems that they dropped Xbox support completely.
It still suffers from corrupted savegame bugs and whatnot but there's no sign of live when you ask them about it.

To bad it seems that they dropped Xbox support completely.
It still suffers from corrupted savegame bugs and whatnot but there's no sign of live when you ask them about it.
That's a bummer.
I was this close to giving it another go. Never played it long enough to get bitten by the save game bug.
Makes me want to yell at Bethesda again.

I m sorry but it looks like a bland Subnautica rip-off. To me the name doesnt even make sense as it suggests a realistic experience but just copies many features (crafting, collecting, building..with some type of high-tech gadgets no less) directly from Sub. Yes it might look "better" (tho its a promotion trailer....) but I see a direct copy only here....unable to credit or admire it to be honest.

Good games are going to be copied sure....happens all the time but most devs at least try to give it a different spin or add something of their own....from the video this one doesnt seem to have anything unique.

Its not really a copy of Subnautica, Deep Diving Simulator is not even in the same genre. Its one of those "semi simulator" games from Polish devs like Car Mechanic Simulator.
Just happens to be underwater :)

Have not played it tho, really getting annoyed by all those Polish/German games with "simulator" in the title haha. Just look at the releases from PlayWay S.A, if there is a boring job in real life - they make a game about it thats for sure

Last edited:
didnt dig too much into it...I simply watched the video. It just looks exactly like Subnautica with all the mining, exloring caves with lights, scanning animals and using hand-held devices to do all kinds of stuff you know?

Cant blame ya, at the first glance it looks exactly like that!
Anybody here plays Subnautica Below Zero? I keep getting update news about it on Steam, looks like they adding helluva stuff to it. Kind of shame that its not an expansion for the first game and that games dont share new cool vehicles and what not.

I refrain myself from playing it, both because I still have Subnautica to finish (I'm close to the end I think and as always when totally adore a game I have hard times to finish it as it generally lets me with a depressing "aww it's over! :'( " mood), and because I want to discover the game in its fully fledged shape.

I refrain myself from playing it, both because I still have Subnautica to finish (I'm close to the end I think and as always when totally adore a game I have hard times to finish it as it generally lets me with a depressing "aww it's over! :'( " mood), and because I want to discover the game in its fully fledged shape.

Cant say I had that problem mate. The moment it was over I started a new game and now knowing what counted and how to do things focused on the parts that I enjoyed the most aka base building and exploring. But I m known to be a "twinker" so maybe I have a high resistence to starting over I dont know :)

I m sorry but it looks like a bland Subnautica rip-off. To me the name doesnt even make sense as it suggests a realistic experience but just copies many features (crafting, collecting, building..with some type of high-tech gadgets no less) directly from Sub. Yes it might look "better" (tho its a promotion trailer....) but I see a direct copy only here....unable to credit or admire it to be honest.

Good games are going to be copied sure....happens all the time but most devs at least try to give it a different spin or add something of their own....from the video this one doesnt seem to have anything unique.

It actually does not matter if it's rip off. Many other games are rip offs and still are good. Real questions here are, is it playable, does it have good atmosphere, does it force you to play more ...

The plot thickens.

Finally got the big sub and need to upgrade and found the [REDACTED][REDACTED] on one of the islands.

I like how the computer calmly tells me "these biomes and depths are the type that cause humans to feel terror" as i go deeper with my sub...why did it have to say that.

Top Bottom