[Suggestion] Open only 'district'

A quick solution would be making the Bubble as Open Only, it would also give more context to powerplay that now is just a matter for solo players in T-9s and navbeacon killers.
On the other hand, Colonia should be PvE.

That way both players have a healthy 21k LY that would work as restrain order.

So Elite_Dangerous players that are evil psycopaths that gank and pirate and kill and are murderhobos would live in the bubble.
Elite_Friendship players can play Super Mario Galaxy in the Colonia bubble.

Everybody happy.

The difference in total sale value is only huge if you get almost all of the VOs safely to port and sell them. If the price here is 2.5 and the price in an anonymous system is 1.6, then if you lose more than 35% of your VOs to piracy or murder, you're not actually making more money.

It's an arbitrary number, but that 25m per tonne you suggested is way higher than necessary. Fdev would balance where they see fit in this scenario.. getting hung up on the specifics here is a waste of energy.. anything is adjustable.

Players have historically been quite happy to take moderate losses in potential earnings if it gives them an easy life - when long-range passengers was a thing, lots of people were spending half an hour board flipping to load up, and recording 50-100 MCr/hour, while others were thinking about it a little, finding a less well-known system which generated a ship's full of missions on one board, and getting 200 MCr/hour. But ... that required a brain and preparation, and board-flipping around Rhea didn't so most people were quite happy to take half the money in exchange for not having to think.

Some do, some go for the largest profit possible, not everyone plays the same.

If it's only 2.5 you're relying on most of them not actually seeing a pirate or murderer because there's so many people in the system most of them might as well be in Solo because instancing means they never see you.

Instancing is a lottery... if the trader comes through and they get put into an empty instance, well I guess they lucked out. Instancing is never a good argument for not improving open play.

Sure. What if the miner is also aware of the basics of piracy and has some point defence covering their cargo hatch, or an ECM to kill the limpets altogether, or has engineered drives and just flies away at a higher speed than the limpets can go (also leaving any VOs that do get extracted smeared over several kilometres).

So basically, we shouldn't bother pirating because the trader might be actually competent at outfitting their ship? Kind of defeatist attitude isn't ? The chase is half the fun anyway, the more challenge the better.

My point is that in a situation where most targets actually see a pirate, the incompetent ones will lose money compared with what they can earn normally so won't stick around long, so it'll filter to mostly competent ones who you can't actually steal from.

Again, challenge is good... stealing from players who can barely fly their ship isn't as interesting.

I've done a bit of PvE piracy in the past, but it quickly became clear that - like hauling Clothing, or mining in Rocky rings - that it was mainly implemented for the NPCs to do.

I disagree, they would never have given us hatch-breakers if that were true.

A quick solution would be making the Bubble as Open Only, it would also give more context to powerplay that now is just a matter for solo players in T-9s and navbeacon killers.
On the other hand, Colonia should be PvE.

That way both players have a healthy 21k LY that would work as restrain order.

So Elite_Dangerous players that are evil psycopaths that gank and pirate and kill and are murderhobos would live in the bubble.
Elite_Friendship players can play Super Mario Galaxy in the Colonia bubble.

Everybody happy.

Going to have to push back here with “Open” and “Only” are just not going to happen in the same sentence, in this game, during anyone’s lifetime, so the sooner everyone stops trying to come up with some means of making this happen the better for everyone. Wasted effort is wasted. If disparagey between modes was something Frontier wanted, they’d have created it from the start. They didn’t because they don’t.

Going to have to push back here with “Open” and “Only” are just not going to happen in the same sentence, in this game, during anyone’s lifetime, so the sooner everyone stops trying to come up with some means of making this happen the better for everyone. Wasted effort is wasted. If disparagey between modes was something Frontier wanted, they’d have created it from the start. They didn’t because they don’t.

It's obvious that Open Only will never happen, as never will happen PvE Only.
I'm here mostly to witness the quality of the mental contorsionism that I read in many replies, people that would sue Nintendo because koopas are killing them too often.

Apart from that Titan graphics card competition? ;)

Thinking it's not viable is fair enough, I'm not sure it is either. Telling people to stop trying is unreasonable.
It's a big galaxy.

Apart from that Titan graphics card competition? ;)

Thinking it's not viable is fair enough, I'm not sure it is either. Telling people to stop trying is unreasonable.
It's a big galaxy.

Telling people anything is unreasonable. They only hear what they want to hear anyways. But I’m perfectly ok with being unreasonable. After all, I only have to hear them here, and don’t actually have to listen anyways. But that won’t stop me from suggesting efforts be put to better use than dead horse flogging, even if that is the national forum pastime.

To be fair I don't think suggestions presented in this forum section have any real chance of being implemented in game. It's just throwing ideas and talking about them between forum users.
Some small QOL improvements might have a chance IF anyone who has something to say would notice them, but how many years passed before they implemented light on/off indicator? Thing that should be trivial, take something like 5 minutes of coding and rise no objections from anyone?

Ideas like this thread, that are lightyears away from the game premise are just excercise in futility in my opinion.

Ah there's that salt again.. ......

Just attempting to insult someone merely underlines the fact that you have no actual argument to suggest that it is a good idea to set up a honeytrap. The simple fact is that you want to make it easier to find real players to attack and I don't think the game should pander to your desires.

Just attempting to insult someone merely underlines the fact that you have no actual argument to suggest that it is a good idea to set up a honeytrap. The simple fact is that you want to make it easier to find real players to attack and I don't think the game should pander to your desires.

No, your responses have had a nasty, condescending undertone from the outset, notice how everyone else is just discussing the idea normally and you're throwing your toys out of the pram because you don't like the suggestion or the segment of the ED community it's aimed at.

Being described as salty isn't an insult btw, it's a description of attitude and/or behaviour.. If they were insults they would have been moderated.

Rather than trading blows on subjective opinions perhaps you could describe why you think setting a honeytrap is a bad idea, and maybe an alternate solution for a more amicable bit of to & fro?

For example, as we discussed earlier in the thread, I think top level Engineering mats are something people looking for or concerned about PvP will want, it is just the kind of incentive both experienced PvPers and those looking to get into it will want.

However as you imply, PvE min/maxers are likely to be attracted too, and may be bitter that they cannot get all the sweet sweet honey without having to tackle a part of the game they don't want to do, which isn't really all that different from the 5,000ly tick box for Palin or other Engineer unlocks that take players out of their comfort zone & get them to try different aspects of play. But unlike an engineer unlock G5 mats would still be available in their usual areas, just not with as high a frequency as in this proposed Open Only PvP region.

Sometimes there is no common ground to be found between extremes of playstyle or opinion. For this topic I believe there is common ground to be found, and I think it's worth trying to find it.

Rather than trading blows on subjective opinions perhaps you could describe why you think setting a honeytrap is a bad idea, and maybe an alternate solution for a more amicable bit of to & fro?

Well no I am not trading blows - I am just stating an opinion that setting aside an area to act as a trap for the unwary is not something I agree with. The OP is the one accusing me of being "salty", "nasty" and "condescending" - none of which is the case and just illustrates their attacking me rather than defending their position by purporting to explain how setting a trap to lure people in to be their content is beneficial to the game.

I already made the point that they can have an area where they play PvP against each other and also suggested they modified their proposal to make it devoid of engineering modifications - both of which just produced more personal remarks.

The fact is that purely and simply it is yet another of the "we want people in Open so we can have fun at their expense" threads.

......., notice how everyone else is just discussing the idea normally a.......

Again with the personal attack - really! If you look through the whole thread properly you will not see what you purport. You just think because a couple of you are actually contemplating it you can ignore the majority which opposed the suggestion.

Last edited:
Top Bottom