Summer 2024 DLC Speculation

August has been the Q2&Q3 DLC spot both times it's been used, once due to Covid, the other due to a 30th anniversary free update. It doesn't strike me as a time they actually want to use, so it depends on just how badly Console edition is setting things back.

Barnyard's lateness is explainable, being a month after console launch, potentially for marketing reasons rather than workload (I wouldn't expect the skills for porting to overlap hugely with creating. I can make a 3D model, skin it, and animate it myself, but I can't really code).
One of my current, running theories is that Barnyard was late purely for marketing reasons and its mostly been good to go for a bit (which is why the release date following the outsource_lqa getting an update was much shorter than usual). Obviously there were still some things to be tweaked or whatever but the bulk of the work has probably been done for a bit. So the team was already mostly working on other things.

But I'm still not convinced that, even with that extra time, they'd have something ready to go for a June release. It would be awesome and I'm fully here for it if that's the case but... It just feels like they wouldn't have said "later this year" if that were the case. The way he said it implied that they had no idea when more info would be coming. I'm sure they have some idea but not enough to say for sure it would be within a month or two. So it could go either way, though I'm really feeling like it will be more toward the fall than anytime soon.

Yeah, I thought that the announcement itself & the phrasing of "later this year" was a way of saying, don't worry it's still coming but it's not gonna be like our usual schedule. They would know that if they didn't say anything and nothing would be coming in june everybody would assume that it's done.

The only problem is those beliefs are preventing a lot of people from enjoying the recent packs.
If you can't enjoy the pack without believing support is going to go on forever, then you aren't really enjoying the pack, you're just looking for the next one.

Besides which, you are responsible for your own feelings, not anybody else. If you enjoying things relies on everyone else either shutting up or spewing positivity, then that's kind of your own problem.
and is ironically lowering the chances of new DLCs coming
That isn't how this works. The only thing that "lowers the chance" (terminology that doesn't actually make any sense in this context) of further DLC's being developed is sales. The people who don't like the newer themes will either buy them or not regardless of whether they express their opinion on it here on the forums. Frontier budgets for and plans their DLC's in advance. What anyone thinks about the Barnyard DLC isn't going to affect the next one.

Frontier will also have planned their end game in advance besides. Good sales now isn't going to alter their future plans. They've shifted focus to the console edition anyway.
is unfair for the developers
Also, what does this have to do with the developers? Again, sales are the only thing that will affect the developers. Poor finances is why a bunch were laid off, including from the Planet Zoo team.

This seems more like a case of you forgetting that Frontier is a business, not a group of school children showing off their macaroni art. They have planning meetings, brainstorming sessions, budget allocations, and so on and so forth. They create a proof of concept pack, debate the pros and cons, then put it forward to get signed off by the people in charge. Then it goes to the guys who actually make the content. The Barnyard DLC was doubtless conceived of long before the Eurasia one, just as Eurasia was conceived of long before Oceania.

Yeah but tbf would he really say “another animal pack coming out in June” ? I just think they’re trying to be as vague as possible - later this year could literally mean anywhere May-December.
It will depend on the release date of their new game. If that release date is in November, summer makes sense for PZ's last DLC same as it did for Coaster. Keeping in mind that Coaster also released a DLC at the end of April and still managed their final Ghostbusters DLC by June 4th.

I assume develeopment time takes a little longer for Zoo, but since they don't need to build many 3D models from scratch anymore it's hard to say.

Edit: In any case if it's not June we'll soon know that. July or even early August wouldn't be that surprising, but I doubt we'll be waiting as long as Christmas.

Yeah but tbf would he really say “another animal pack coming out in June” ? I just think they’re trying to be as vague as possible - later this year could literally mean anywhere May-December.
Maybe, however I doubt that we'd get one by June. For one, the typical wait time between DLCs is roughly 3 months. June is now a month away; even July is too soon, with it being 2 months away. It's highly unlikely we'll get it until at least August, if not later this year, depending on how the DLC is done: more animals? More pieces? Both? We really don't know, and we also need to keep in mind the update. Last 2 updates have been big, real big. Modular gift shops, petting zoos (both of which are still somewhat buggy it seems)

If we get another DLC, in even betting we won't get it until Fall, because there's the possibility of yet another big update coming. It could be anything from animal remakes to modular exhibits. The truth is we have no idea when it's gonna come, or even a real idea of how long it takes them to do an update/DLC in the 1st place. For all we know, they could've already been making petting zoos since before the Eurasia pack was teased

He wouldn't say "coming out in June." But if he said "within the next few months" that would be sufficiently vague while giving it some sort of timeframe.

I mean, we saw what they did with the JWE2 DLC that's coming up and how they messaged that. If it were June I think they would have been just a bit more specific because it's literally only a month away.

Yeah it's really just to quell fears of the game ending with domestics of all animals. Having all the major content creators saying the game is ending is probably pretty bad for business when it actually isn't.

Yes?
Yeah it's really just to quell fears of the game ending with domestics of all animals. Having all the major content creators saying the game is ending is probably pretty bad for business when it actually isn't.
I'm surprised at this point that somw still believe word for word what content creators say. After all, either they've been proven wrong before or they put out so many theories that'd eventually one will be right and they'll be like: "told you so"
(I'm not saying all of them do, but many have done that before)

If we go by what youtubers say, the game already ended 3 years ago. 😂

Honestly, most of them are only interested in aquarium or aviary dlcs anyway. Even the biggest ones are not really into zoos that much. I remember when one of the big ones was confused why would anyone want a Przewalski Wild Horse, because accoring to him it is “just a horse”. I feel like most of them are just waiting for Planet Coaster 2 at this point and PZ does not excite them with the terrestrial animals anymore.

Last edited:

Honestly, most of them are only interested in aquarium or aviary dlcs anyway. Even the biggest ones are not really into zoos that much. I remember when one of the big ones was confused why would anyone want a Przewalski Wild Horse, because accoring to him it is “just a horse”. I feel like most of them are just waiting for Planet Coaster 2 at this point and PZ does not excite them with the terrestrial animals anymore.
You know, lately I've been having the feeling that some of the big content creators are already tired of Planet Zoo, but they keep doing videos just to get the views since their channels became so big thanks to PZ. They can't wait to get a new game whatever it is.

Of course there are still some big content creators too who clearly enjoy playing the game and we can get that feeling of joy when watching their new videos.

I mean it makes sense, quite a few of the bigger ones came over from planet coaster.
And to be totally honest i can definetly see the packs becoming less and less exciting for someone who isnt an animal nerd.

Last edited:
You know, lately I've been having the feeling that some of the big content creators are already tired of Planet Zoo, but they keep doing videos just to get the views since their channels became so big thanks to PZ. They can't wait to get a new game whatever it is.

Of course there are still some big content creators too who clearly enjoy playing the game and we can get that feeling of joy when watching their new videos.
I mean it makes sense, quite a few of the bigger ones came over from planet coaster.
And to be totally honest i can definetly see the packs becoming less and less exciting for someone who isnt an animal nerd.
I'm just saying: it's their loss😂
If they don't want amazing animals, then they can go back to PlanCo🤪

To be fair I like all animals some more than others, and have always been into zoology. I’m not here for the building or Planet Coaster. I will also admit I’m more excited about a potential Aviary/ Aquarium. Atleast in terms of gameplay it will provide something more new than we ever got before.

Not whether this will ever happen, or atleast ever happen for PZ1 is an entirely different story. We can also see that on all socials Birds/ Aviary and Aquatic animals are the most asked for. So it makes sense content creators would angle that a bit.

Yeah. Leaf, SalamAnders, Chuck, and DeLady seem to be the biggest PlanZo enjoyers...
I also particularly like ZHS's content. I have yet to see Cesar's or Pacha's content (I will probably get right on that, though. Any videos/series y'all recommend?)

Yeah. Leaf, SalamAnders, Chuck, and DeLady seem to be the biggest PlanZo enjoyers...
I also particularly like ZHS's content. I have yet to see Cesar's or Pacha's content (I will probably get right on that, though. Any videos/series y'all recommend?)
PoisonBlade - he's an incredible (one of the very best) builders and he's so funny. His speedbuild rambles have me chuckling into my tea. His Naturalis series is brilliant -

Top Bottom