IMPORTANT: Summer Update: How to use Billboards

I'm a little dissapointed about the billboards too. I was happy to hear that they support the png file format. the best part of this format is, that you can save a picture with a transparent background.

But the whole effect gets lost when I use this pictures on the billboards. Instead of a transparent background you get black background. I want use the billboards together with png files to create some kind of cut out figures for a dark ride as scenery, now i have alway s a rectangular picture with a not matching background. I think a lot of us had the same idea about the usage of the billboards.

cZ8Vd5l.jpg

What I have expected was a billboard which handles png files with all the advantages of this format like this:

agtB2D1.jpg

RCT 3 was released in 2004 and you give us nearly the same billboards in a modern design but with no options which are state of the art from 2017. No wonder, that my guests leave the park

Last edited:
Is there a reason why my vids won't play on the billboards?
They just turn white and sometimes the game suddenly crashes.
It's not a long video [bored]

I Agree danijami23

Just wanted to give you a little message of positivity: keep up the good work Bo! There are many of us that appreciate the hard work you put in to engaging the community (just a shame that we're less vocal), and I personally feel that you and Ed do an absolutely outstanding job in what is surely a mega stress environment sometimes.

Thanks!

Been a long time reader on these forums but have only contributed one post in the past to showcase some of my works, but I feel I need to add to this conversation.
I cannot believe how ungrateful some of Planet Coasters users and people on this forum are. Frontier are doing amazing work and listening to people's feedback and adding FREE content and yet it's still not enough, or they've done it wrong!
It just shocks me that people are getting so annoyed for something Frontier technically don't need to do for free! I know that in my line of work, revisiting old projects or liaising with clients costs money. Yes, with every game, developers try to keep the content fresh and correct bugs, but to then complain because they haven't corrected one thing that one forum member has contributed is just crazy! Constructive feedback on bugs or a way of slightly improving a feature is perfectly fine. Having a go doesn't really help anyone.
Also, people's interpretations of billboards is quite frankly, hilarious. A billboard is a big sign for advertising, or in this case, can be used as videos for themed elements. It's fixed to the ground, has a fixed size and is a physical thing. Getting annoyed because adding a transparent png file doesn't make the entire billboard disappear is just silly. Of course it will show a black background, it's still a physical billboard!
Apologies for the rant, but Frontier have done an incredible job with this game and don't deserve the feedback they are receiving from some.
This update is amazing and I can't wait to try out some fireworks and incorporate the billboards into my dark rides to try and mimic rides like Spiderman etc.

Hahaha thank you very much [big grin]

Might be cool if it can be done in-game but aparantly this is a very simple workaround :D

It works, it's the most important :)

Now the last problem is with the big lost of contrast we have on the board with the picture, at least 30%

ashore

Frontier
Frontier
Hi, thought I'd chip in to address some of what you guys have raised here.

Firstly, this is an expensive feature! If your machine struggles with large parks as it is, adding the decoding cost of 6 videos to it will tank your framerate. It's very easy to shoot yourself in the foot here, so use videos sparingly if your machine's not too powerful. Fortunately images are much much cheaper, so (with the obvious caveat that all images consume memory, and high-resolution images devour it) go nuts with those!

When you do use videos, we've imposed pretty much no limits on what you can do with them. If you want to decode 8K video, we aren't going to stop you. If you want to add 60 different videos all playing simultaneously, we're still not going to stop you. We won't even stop you if you want all those 60 videos to be 8K (although we won't accept liability if this melts your CPU). These are obviously extreme examples, but they lead into a couple of suggestions to keep your game performing a little better.

- Firstly (and this is the obvious one), lower resolution, lower framerate videos are much cheaper to decode. If you're only running the game in 1080p/30, there's no point whatsoever adding a video encoded at 4K/60 - and given that at any one time the videos probably occupy a pretty small area of the screen, I'd suggest you probably don't realistically need to go above about 360/480.
- Secondly, for duplicate videos that aren't attached to sequencers, we share decoders. So it should be very nearly free to add more billboards showing the same video, as long as they're not triggered as part of a sequence (in which case they get their own decoders, because we thought it best to start the video from the beginning when it gets triggered). It's adding more different videos that starts to get expensive.

All of the video decoding is done CPU-side for now (if async compute were available to us we'd grab it with both hands, but sadly it's not). So to the one saying about how the 1060 couldn't handle all the videos, unless your CPU is a many-threaded monster (a thydra? sorry, bad pun) you could put two 1080Tis with it and it wouldn't make a difference :)

For people who need to convert videos, try to take your chances with the online converters - there are more of them than I'm going to go through testing but from looking on here it seems people have found some that work.

The choice to support WebM was driven mostly by licensing concerns, rather than technical ones. WebM is a completely open container, and the spec only allows open codices for playback, so by choosing this we know nobody can suddenly burn us with an unexpected royalty bill. By the same token, I'm afraid you shouldn't expect MP4 support round the corner.

Rest assured we thought of making use of an alpha channel! That's something that's very much sitting in the "might be nice if" category rather than being a feature we're committed to adding though, so no promises. It's something with which you could do some pretty cool stuff, but it isn't something that would slot in terribly nicely with the implementation we have, so there will probably be lower-hanging cool feature fruit elsewhere!

There's better news on the rotation front - a portrait/landscape switch is very much on the cards. No timeline or firm promise, but it's on my to-do list.

For people who had videos that won't play, I don't know exactly what your problems will be, but there a couple of things that might have gone wrong.

- Firstly, just changing the extension to ".webm" is not enough. You actually have to convert the file contents - there are various posts around the forum about tools people have found to do this.
- Secondly, don't use VLC to transcode them! I'm fairly sure VLC doesn't set all of the timecodes properly in the file, so a lot of the files it produces won't play well.
- Thirdly, if you try one encoder and it doesn't work, that might be a problem with the encoder. It's definitely worth trying another tool to encode the video.

Hope at least some of that helps at least some of you!

Last edited by a moderator:

Vampiro

Volunteer Moderator
Thanks a LOT ashore!!

Im surprised the WebM support was pure licensing, i really tought it was technical. Learned another thing :D

Im also VERY happy the use of billboards came with as few restrictions as possible!! Now everyone can decide for themself how many to add and see what their machine is capable of.

Thanks a million for your detailed explanation! Well appreciated!

Many Thanks ashore for all this information [up]

One last question. why do we have a so big contrast lost with picture ?

example :

aeH1cs9.jpg

xxH1iFn.jpg

We won't even stop you if you want all those 60 videos to be 8K

Computer says NO [big grin]

Those looking for online video conversion, Cloudinary is cool, it has a fully featured free tier without any time limit.
http://cloudinary.com/

I'm impressed with the image billboards so far. I probably won't bother with video. Hi-res image billboards is where it's at!!

Thanks for both Lit and Unlit options. I didn't expect the Lit option to be the best but it definitely produces the most faithful representation of the image. This example below has an area light placed above the 32m lit billboard carpet. Image res is 2560 x 1600. Notice the unlit version to the right looks quite flat and lifeless.

carpet1.jpg

ashore

Frontier
Frontier
Ah - this looks familiar :)

We're using a 3rd-party library (called DirectXTex, for anyone who's interested) to load the images. We've used it in a number of places before, and while in general it's very good I'm pretty sure it doesn't always read metadata properly. What I'm guessing has happened here (because it's happened before to me) is that the image has been saved in the sRGB colour space and DirectXTex hasn't picked that up when it loaded it.

As a workaround, you might have some luck if you re-export the image in one of the other formats we support :)

why do we have a so big contrast lost with picture ?

Edit...there seems to be an issue with the colour profile not importing properly. I've found that to avoid the washed out look, I need to use Photoshop's File > Save As to make the jpeg, rather than the usual "save for web". Oddly enough, I can't get BMP or PNG images to hold their original colours either, I get washed out look with those formats too, but I need to test more.

Last edited:
Top Bottom