IMPORTANT: Summer Update: How to use Billboards

So I am having a problem. Whenever I select a video or picture from the dropdown menu, as soon as I close out of the window the video reverts back to the Chief Beef video/picture. I'm not sure why it won't stay on my selection. I haven't worked with custom images or videos so I don't know if I will have the same problem with those. Any thoughts?

Never mind. Turns out that the interface setting was hiding the "ok" button. 100% is too small and hard for me to read, but the next available size is 160%, which is too large and apparently hides information in some of the windows!

Some technical know hows needed about the WEBM format...???

After some editing and shaping my own cool video i came across the problems of the WEBM format.

First of all, why WEBM? as all video formats go this is the most annoying because it's standard not even supported by ADOBE Programs...
We either need to convert it online (or in my case) download a plugin for adobe programs of some strange small company...
Just sayin .mp4 or .avi are rather small in size IF we get the right resolutions of the billboards (in pixels)

On Second thought the exact size in pixels woud come in handy to make our own video's anyway.
It's no use to spend hours making a 1080p video when the resolution will be like smaller as 240p...

If for any reason we can only use WEBM then it woud be really really handy to also know what the best Save/Export/Render settings are...
So far we only know VP8 = beter as VP9.
What about the method? (constant quality/bitrate or variable bitrate-> if so 1kb/s or 10000 kb/s ??? )

I know these are all really technical questions, but i just want to enjoy the best quality of my own created video's without to much performance loss or hours and hours wasted on rendering instead of playin Planet Coaster.

https://forums.planetcoaster.com/sh...use-Billboards?p=196365&viewfull=1#post196365

Hi!
These billboards are amazing!! But the fix doesn't work for me, all my images are washed out [cry] I suppose it has something to do with the color profiles of photoshop, but I cannot figure out which one to use [knockout]

sRGB is the colour profile you should use. Most digital camera images already use this profile by default.

You do however need to save the file via File > Save As > JPEG and make sure the "ICC Profile: sRGB" checkbox is checked in the save dialog box. This is for Photoshop.

Then in PC add it to a lit billboard if using the image at night, or experiment with lit and unlit billboards in the day time, depending whether the sun is in front or behind the billboard you will get different results with lit and unlit billboards.

What I really would like to see (maybe as a compromise to the missing transparent option for PNG's) are Billboards in more sizes and different shapes e.g.

• Round Billboards for round signs or hypnotic animations
  • Shields (rounded and straight) for your own Coat of Arms
  • Flags for your own Fantasy Kingdom or Racing Team
  • Signpost (rectangular and arrowform) for custom signpost to your rides or to give your parkways names)
  • Very small billboards for Doorsigns and hints like Exit or "Stuff only"

Hey
Do you know if there's a recommended resolution for pictures ( In order not to overload the game )
Thanks

Can anyone recommend a free converter to download? All the ones I have tried so far either won't accept my video because the file size is too large, or they add a watermark over the top.

Hi all I'm still having contrast issues with images. I am using the sRGB setting in photoshop but I think some settings may be messed up cause I only saw a slight increase in quality. Here are what my color settings screen and save screen look like can anyone see anything that looks wrong compaaried to yours? Thanks.

Hi all I'm still having contrast issues with images. I am using the sRGB setting in photoshop but I think some settings may be messed up cause I only saw a slight increase in quality. Here are what my color settings screen and save screen look like can anyone see anything that looks wrong compaaried to yours? Thanks.

Are you checking the ICC profile box in the save as dialog?

I googled this dialog box image, see where it says ICC profile, make sure it's ticked. Then play around with LIT billboard at night for starters. Then try daytime and position sun behind billboard. Perhaps share your results here and we can see what's up.

batch-raw-8.jpg

I do check the box each time. I also have moved the board around in different light and time options as I thought it could be the way the sun hit it but no change. the funny thing is videos look awesome when I make them. I tried taking a file I saved in Photoshop making a 5-second video of it. And it worked as far as showing up but it also had the low contrast in it so the metadata transferred into my video edit software also but planet coaster is the only program I've used where it looks like this.

Last edited:
Update: I uninstalled and reinstalled Photoshop and that fixed it. I must have had some setting change over the years that affected the outcome but it's all good now. Also, thank you, everyone, for the help and making this such a great community. I've been around since alpha and been kind of a fly on the wall here and on the live streams and I have to say I'm very impressed with the loving help and respect this group gives each other and the Devs.

Does anyone know if Frontier has some kind of media asset kit that contains the logo's of the shops, rides and general figures like Ellie, Coaster King etc? I think that can be quite useful to create some custom Planet Coaster themed signs.

I'd like to create a custom Star Fox display that acts as a menu board in a shop for example that contains the Star Fox logo. I'm quite sure that there are more people who want to create something similar.

Also, as asked before, knowing the minumum resolution of the screens and billboards would be nice to know. We know the aspect ratio but not the recommended resolution to make it look nice without melting the CPU/GPU.

Last edited:
^ I doubt they'll release the original artwork for that purpose... You could always take screenshots in game, and in Photoshop make alterations.

As for resolution, my guess - actually more than a guess since I've done a lot of testing... you can get away with high res images for billboards without FPS blinking an eye. It's nice to be efficient though, so you should find a balance of what looks good in game vs resolution, but it seems like additional textures are not GPU hogs, but more about memory consumption. So make it 1920 x 1080 and you'll be fine. If you're worried, then make them smaller.

It's usually geometry that melts your processor, such as coaster supports - if you have lots of those, expect your FPS to take a hit.

You could place a 21 megapixel image into the park if you wanted, and I bet it wouldn't make much difference. I actually put a 50 megapixel image (effective) , it was 144 images on 144 large billboards in a giant 16 x 9 wall and the FPS counter didn't budge.

Yea all the custom textures will do is fill up your ram but they barely have an effect on your FPS.

why we can't use .gif file?? i have to transform them into WEBM to work and the game crash every time i'm triyng to use one!!! SO FRUSTRATHING!! also.. all the Hi-res video don't work for me..the screen stay black, only the low-res work???? and almost all the picture i've try to add to the game, does make the game crash everytime! SOOOOOO! for me the screen are the worst update you guy's did!!

Last edited:
Gif to WebM

why we can't use .gif file?? i have to transform them into WEBM to work and the game crash every time i'm triyng to use one!!! SO FRUSTRATHING!! also.. all the Hi-res video don't work for me..the screen stay black, only the low-res work???? and almost all the picture i've try to add to the game, does make the game crash everytime! SOOOOOO! for me the screen are the worst update you guy's did!!

Hello, i try to transform gif to webm too, and it's work...
Convert gif to sequence images files in a folder(with photoshop for example). Use sequence images folder to convert theme to WebM VP8 (with mediaencoder*)
*To convert with mediaencoder to Webm you need to install free Fnordware plugin Premiere (Mac or Win as you need)
(sorry for language i'm french)

Top Bottom