IMPORTANT: Summer Update: How to use Billboards

Bo Marit

Lead Community Manager
Frontier
Hi coaster friends,

Hope you’re all enjoying the brand-new, sizzling Summer Update!

One of the newest features we are really enthusiastic about are the Video Billboards. These are awesome, interactive ways of making your parks more dynamic and exciting, for guests and other Planet Coaster players alike!

Aside from selecting pre-recorded Planet Coaster videos from a dropdown list, you can also upload your own videos and images to be displayed on your Billboards. Here’s a handy quick-start guide on how to do so:

• Place down your Billboard screen and select it
  • From the dropdown menus, you can select ‘Image’ or ‘Movie’
  • All Billboards have an on and off state. You can select different images or videos for each state
  • ‘Image’ hosts your own images, in the User Videos tab
    • The following formats are accepted: .jpg, .bmp, .png, .tiff
  • ‘Movie’ hosts your own videos, in the User Videos tab. Videos must have the following specifications:
    • Videos in WEBM format
    • Videos encoded with VP8 or VP9 codecs (we recommend VP8 as it is more efficient)
    • Audio encoded with Vorbis or Opus codecs
    • Aspect ratio 16:9 or 1:1
  • Your images and movies live in your documents folder (like custom music). It typically looks like this:
    • My Documents/Frontier Developments/ Planet Coaster/UserMedia
  • You can add images and movies to this folder while the game is running. Just click the ‘refresh custom textures folder’ to get the latest list
  • Finally, Billboards can be linked as triggerable, like other triggerable objects! Try out Billboards with Coasters, Tracked Rides, Flat Rides or the new Display Sequencer for some epic cinema!

FYI: videos won’t be played on Billboards when you play in any sped-up mode. They will only work in real time! If you have any technical problems or questions, do let us know and we will do our best to help you.

Cheers,
Bo

Last edited:
is this under Documents/Frontier Developments/Planet Coaster ?

Because I only have the UserMusic

Should i just create a UserVideos file?

So far not impressed, low quality (including your premade videos) or user videos crash the game instantly the mouse still moves but the game is frozen

Last edited:

Bo Marit

Lead Community Manager
Frontier
So far not impressed, low quality (including your premade videos) or user videos crash the game instantly the mouse still moves but the game is frozen

Please report any crashes and bugs on the forums in the correct threads so the devs can look at fixes for you.

It has been explained in the livestream past Wednesday they had to choose between high and lo res videos. And they choose the lo-res one because you wouldn't see the difference. So you could have knew it would be of lower quality.

No need to remind them of something they already know.

It has been explained in the livestream past Wednesday they had to choose between high and lo res videos. And they choose the lo-res one because you wouldn't see the difference. So you could have knew it would be of lower quality.

No need to remind them of something they already know.
So if they chose low res videos than why do high res videos work? For instance chief beek high res works fine but chief low res crashes

So if they chose low res videos than why do high res videos work? For instance chief beek high res works fine but chief low res crashes

I meant the in game ones. Don't know about the user imprted ones. But my guess would be it converts it to a lower res?

I meant the in game ones. Don't know about the user imprted ones. But my guess would be it converts it to a lower res?

Idk all i know is user videos crash for a reason i dont know, and all the ones the devs made that are low res also crash the game strangely i can still move the in game mouse but none of the in game controls respond

How can you change the bioms in an existing park?
I can not find an option to make it completely new!
Or is it not possible to change the bioms afterwards?

Bo Marit

Lead Community Manager
Frontier
How can you change the bioms in an existing park?
I can not find an option to make it completely new!
Or is it not possible to change the bioms afterwards?

It's in the patch notes: hold down left control when you click open / resume on a specific park in my parks

Please report any crashes and bugs on the forums in the correct threads so the devs can look at fixes for you.

Just wanted to give you a little message of positivity: keep up the good work Bo! There are many of us that appreciate the hard work you put in to engaging the community (just a shame that we're less vocal), and I personally feel that you and Ed do an absolutely outstanding job in what is surely a mega stress environment sometimes.

Thanks! <3

ok I played with my computer a little bit and now when I go into the Frontier Developments / Planet Coaster file I have two files now -

- UserMedia
- UserMusic

I placed a photo into UserMedia and it worked, then I tried putting a video into UserMedia but the file/video didn't show up in the game. Can somebody help??

ok I played with my computer a little bit and now when I go into the Frontier Developments / Planet Coaster file I have two files now -

- UserMedia
- UserMusic

I placed a photo into UserMedia and it worked, then I tried putting a video into UserMedia but the file/video didn't show up in the game. Can somebody help??

Did you use the .Webm extension?

- UserMedia
- UserMusic

You must use the webm format video

Bo Marit

Lead Community Manager
Frontier
Just wanted to give you a little message of positivity: keep up the good work Bo! There are many of us that appreciate the hard work you put in to engaging the community (just a shame that we're less vocal), and I personally feel that you and Ed do an absolutely outstanding job in what is surely a mega stress environment sometimes.

Thanks! <3

Thank you so much [heart]

Thanks! <3
I totally agree![up]

I just looked into converting the mp4 videos into webm but I can't find anything to help me do it.
Would it work if I just added .webm at the end of the video file name?

EDIT: It looks like I need to convert my files.. can anyone help me?

Last edited:
Top Bottom