Terra EX (DTEA's Squadron) vs The Code BGS War

Simplystyc

Banned
A number of days ago, Terra EX attempted a coup in the Reidquat system. Unbeknownst to Down to Earth Astronomy's Squadron, there was another Player group in the system as a minor faction. The Code of Pirates had been maintaining a presence in that system for quite some time, and when they found out that another group was pushing in, they contacted DTEA directly. Turns out Reidquat wasn't the intended system, and had been "Invaded" by accident, however noone from Terra EX reached out to the Code to work out a deal, or mention to Code about their BGS.

CMDR Shippymcshipface, the current Captain of The Code, then reached out to Down to Earth Astronomy directly, asking about the incursion by Terra EX into the system. To which he recieved this response:

It didn't look like we were doing anything with the system. It wasn't our targeted system, but we're gonna take it anyway, and we're gonna do it in PG.

___

Apparently, word is in the Lave Cluster, this isn't the first time this has happened.

Now The Code is primarily a PvP Group. They are pirates through and through and you can usually find them around CG's or High Buy Systems for Void Opals, looking for Juicy Targets with plenty of loot. Naturally The Code as a whole, operate in Open, and do so exclusively. Regardless of PvP or PvE activity. So naturally they were going to fight this war in open, and were surprised when Terra Ex said they were going to operate in PG in order to fight the war.

One would hope that in a PvP BGS war, that the conflict would take place in Open play, so both sides could engage with each other directly. Unfortunately since there is no down side to playing BGS in PG or solo, and it would provide less resistance than Open (Code PvP players vs Code NPCs in Open or PG respectively) Terra EX decided to take the Easier route.

Or so they were led to believe. Terra Ex have significantly more members than The Code.

Over the past 4-5 days, The Code has been fighting the war in open, fighting an invisible enemy. Much like getting into a ring with Mike Tyson and attempting to fight blindfolded.

Not a single sighting of a Terra Ex Player ship in open at all.

The Code went in, knowing the odds they were up against did not look good on paper. A request was sent out to friends and Allies of The Code to come assist in Reidquat. many came and assisted. After 4 days, The Code won the war in Reidquat. 4 days of war with 4 wars won. 0 Losses Reported.

The Code would like to extend a formal GG to Terra Ex, despite not being able to engage them directly, and would like to gently remind people, if you mess with The Code, you WILL walk the plank!

In closing, I posted this as a friendly non hostile message to everyone. I do not wish this to be considered an attack against Terra Ex or DTEA directly, it's all a videogame after all. It's a good example of how flying in PG or Solo, doesn't guarantee success. Even if you don't have to engage the enemy directly.

o7 CMDRS

Last edited:

Simplystyc

Banned
As a total outsider, with no involvement, you will be pleased to know it did not come across as an attack on Terra Ex or DTEA at all.

It came across as an attack on modes.
I am sorry you feel that way. It's a demonstration how the modes can be unbalanced and need to be adjusted accordingly. My personal belief is that Powerplay and BGS should be open only. My personal opinion, is my personal opinion. It's totally up to FDEV.

Simplystyc

Banned
Dang. Too bad the war is over. I was nearly ganked by The Code in Orrerre some days ago, stumbling into another BGS war which I was unaware of,
but I'll gladly come fight for them if the need will arise again.
I will let you know if we need assistance. Feel free to pm me your discord handle, I'll add you.

Deleted member 182079

D
I'm sometimes visiting Orrere if I need trading ship mats, I assume blowing up traders in the RES is actually helping them given they're the controlling faction and an anarchy, right?

I personally would prefer to engage an enemy directly, instead of through a game mode.

I can't help but notice that you may have made an error in choosing Elite Dangerous as a game to play for direct PvP. Not just because of the modes, but mainly because destroying another players ship does nothing to advance your own BGS aims in any quantifiable way.

I don't blame you by the way, I blame FDev's marketing department.

So, since the side playing in Open won, presumably Open should be nerfed to give a more even fight?

If this is a demonstration of anything it's more of how modes don't make much of a difference to the end result in the BGS, surely?
Why should a gamemode that offers more of a challenge to the player be nerfed in comparision to a gamemode that essentially acts as a crutch for the player and absolutely negates any kind of learning and skill curve that this game has to offer?

If this whole War implies on one thing, then it is to heavily nerf any kind of solo and private group activitiy that affects the open play back ground simulation.
Which means rep and inf as well as credit rewards in order to actual encourage people to play the game mode, which powerplay and essentially bgs were intended for.

As for the Tera Ex's loss in the war, they completly deserved it as they were hiding in their private group and tried to undermine a player faction from it.
If you can't even manage to clutch factions or even survive in open play, do not try it in solo or pg.

Gorgon

Banned
Hence, the desire for "open only" or some workable version of it.

This happens quite frequently. The PMF I am a part of has been invaded a few times and always it is done in PG\Solo so that we cannot meet our invaders in battle. So it turns out to be a contest to see who can out grind the other. Lame.

I was not against the idea of Solo\PGs before the addition to PMFs. But since the addition of PMFs, I oppose the existence of Solo\PG as they currently stand. Since the introduction of PMFs, many PMFs want to compete with each other for territory and whatever else. You can see this quite plainly on Inara where PMFs set up alliances and such even though there are no game mechanics that support this play style. Heck, we cannot even join our PMF in-game and instead have to create squadron names that sort of imply the PMFs we support. Clearly, many people want this sort of PvP.

To make matters worse, some people abuse the "block" functionality by permanently blocking people in certain squadrons so that they do not interfere with their activities (undermining a PMF, hunting AX commanders, etc).

So far FDev has not added anything to make this situation any better. Worse, they adopt the "gun makers" argument -- "we only make the guns, we don't make people use them in any particular way". Lame.

Things that would need to be changed or added to make this viable:
-Allow us to join our PMFs
-Allow us to make war on other PMFs so that we don't get wanted for killing their ships
-Do something about undermining PMFs from the safety of Solo\PG
-Change "blocking" so that it cannot be abused
-Let us more easily see PMF territories in the galmap
-Improve instancing so that we can see more of the other PMFs ships in the area
-Allow crossplay so that we can see more of the other PMFs ships in the area
-And whatever else I have forgotten to mention...

Last edited:
I am sorry you feel that way. It's a demonstration how the modes can be unbalanced and need to be adjusted accordingly. My personal belief is that Powerplay and BGS should be open only. My personal opinion, is my personal opinion. It's totally up to FDEV.
Perhaps, some could see it that way. I personally would prefer to engage an enemy directly, instead of through a game mode.

So good to see Hotel California discussions are yet alive and active.

Deleted member 192138

D
I can't help but notice that you may have made an error in choosing Elite Dangerous as a game to play for direct PvP. Not just because of the modes, but mainly because destroying another players ship does nothing to advance your own BGS aims in any quantifiable way.

I don't blame you by the way, I blame FDev's marketing department.
If you go in a conflict zone and blow up a player, they won't win that conflict zone 🤓

Deleted member 192138

D
Except that's not how it actually goes in practise. Especially if you go as a wing and allocate focus and priorities between killing NPCs and suppressing/pushing out players that are opposing you. Sort of like in open there's this interaction with other people that enhances and expands the available tactics for a broader, richer and more varied experience than you get grinding the 100th identical medium/high conflict zones that you get in PG and solo.

Top Bottom