Thargoid invasion - Next target systems?

We did some field testing around Oya yesterday:
  • a Scythe kill in HIP 10778 (12,24 ly, unpopulated) counted 0,0042% each --> 23.810 needed for 100% progress
  • selling a protective membrane (dropped by killed Scythe in HIP 10778) to a rescue ship gives 0,0253% each --> 3960 needed for 100% progress
  • selling an occupied escape pod (Daruwach, 15,74 ly, populated) gives 0,0362% each --> 2.762 needed for 100% progress

Sampling in control systems seems unchanged, as well as killing scouts or interceptors.

These were first tests and need to be proved with higher numbers of sold pods, membranes etc.

The Scythe follows even in Non-Thargoid space. I was interdicted in Oya Island while delivering escape pods to a carrier. And the Scythe limpets can also break your cargo hatch and can steal collected pods... So some interesting content by now.
Interesting. My own test showed a significantly lower number for escape pods - did you sell them to the carrier’s market rather than hand them in to the Search and Rescue contact?

Given the progress on 19600, jumped over and getting to work, 454 samples in so far - would be fun to see if anything happens far as some fed rescue effort etc. if bold and brash independent pilots reclaimed the system before they could spool up a megaship.

-- 1,358 samples delivered by approx 14:41 servertime. We'll see if it does the trick.
- It did indeed to the trick.

1690989553404.png

Last edited:
So in my experiences with the Scythe so far, I haven't seen an evidence of an anti-guardian field but it does seem to put out some sort of wave when it jumps in. It doesn't look like a shutdown field (and there's no warning), is it some kind of "ping" scan that detects pods (I did get a few ship scan notifications) ?

Without the AG-field I'm thinking they might actually be fun to try taking on with a SLF.

So in my experiences with the Scythe so far, I haven't seen an evidence of an anti-guardian field but it does seem to put out some sort of wave when it jumps in. It doesn't look like a shutdown field (and there's no warning), is it some kind of "ping" scan that detects pods (I did get a few ship scan notifications) ?

Without the AG-field I'm thinking they might actually be fun to try taking on with a SLF.
I think there is a "scan detected" warning if you have that voice prompt on, no display in the HUD though. I think it is safe to assume the green wave is their version of a manifest scan.

I think there is a "scan detected" warning if you have that voice prompt on, no display in the HUD though. I think it is safe to assume the green wave is their version of a manifest scan.
They can also detect your ship that way even in silent running. I was doing that while observing Scythes in signal sources, and they’d start firing when within 3 kilometers(though with no sign of active aggression, as they kept continuing on their patrol paths) after getting scanned by such a pulse.

That will also render the heatsink + SR combo redundant when trying to escape from one when running evacs.

moral what?
I presume you’re joking, but in case you’re not…
Quandary
noun
a state of perplexity or uncertainty over what to do in a difficult situation.
While true, not carrying escape pods in the first place is even more effective!
Certainly… but I’m quite afraid evacuation vessels won’t have that luxury. They might also go after one even if it only carries passengers.

(Will the Far God Cult start offering passenger missions to take their nutjobs to salvation? Now that would be quite funny.)

They can also detect your ship that way even in silent running. I was doing that while observing Scythes in signal sources, and they’d start firing when within 3 kilometers(though with no sign of active aggression, as they kept continuing on their patrol paths) after getting scanned by such a pulse.

That will also render the heatsink + SR combo redundant when trying to escape from one when running evacs.
They also seem to not aggro on you unless you shoot them or bump into them. They fire a few lackluster shots, but you can pretty much circle dance with them with no real fight. All they do at that point is fire their incredibly fast hatch breakers at you.

I presume you’re joking, but in case you’re not…
I am. Forgot the smiley. My CMDR has no moral compass whatsoever. His moral compass is how much the mission pays.

They also seem to not aggro on you unless you shoot them or bump into them. They fire a few lackluster shots, but you can pretty much circle dance with them with no real fight. All they do at that point is fire their incredibly fast hatch breakers at you.
I honestly think that’s on purpose. They really don’t look like and behave like combat ships at all… but they also have a weird niche between Glaive and Orthrus where it comes to doing stuff. One that I don’t know how to describe well.

The only ships I see them pose a threat (of destruction) to is shieldless paper evac boats. Though, that said, I wouldn’t so much rate their threat based on firepower as that they can steal fuel(from account of others), cargo and passengers in your evac runs.

That, and the fact that they are really, really creepy. Damn things give me the chills all over. I partly blame the Dedicant logs. Something you could have ripped straight out of a horror movie.

Are folks not seeing the scythes aggro on you even if you have escape pods in cargo? They certainly don't seem to care if you don't have cargo and don't hit them, but when I have cargo they want, they make a point of chasing me.

A second test in Hyades Sector AA-P b6-4 indicates that both pods and membranes aren't effective there. I'm now wondering why... is the distance scale different for them in some way?

Indeed, victory in HIP 19600! Col 285 Sector UD-G b12-2 is a few percent away from another consecutive prevention of all attacks, and while I would love to adopt Haitchane, at present that is still very much at the mercy of Fleet Carrier jump queues. We will try to finish it; no promises, though!

Alert at 17:40 2nd August 3309:
Col 285 Sector UD-G b12-2 Alert 94% *95.2%Cocijo 26 Ly, 2174 Ls planet

Evictions:
Tougeir Control 30% *30.5%Oya 16 Ly, ~8.9k strength
Haitchane Control 28% — Leigong 30 Ly, 1087 strength

Are folks not seeing the scythes aggro on you even if you have escape pods in cargo? They certainly don't seem to care if you don't have cargo and don't hit them, but when I have cargo they want, they make a point of chasing me.

At minimum it appears to be passengers and occupied escape pods, other escape pods unknown yet, and it seems to be a case of interdicting if and only if you have them. That is to say, moving a dozen full holds of Research samples saw not a single interdiction, while carrying two pods gave me two Scythe interdictions between arriving at a star and docking at a carrier orbiting the star.

A second test in Hyades Sector AA-P b6-4 indicates that both pods and membranes aren't effective there. I'm now wondering why... is the distance scale different for them in some way?

The empty system strength seems to be unchanged—the difference could be that the test in Daruwach was an inhabited system, and perhaps that escape pods have an increased effect there. It is a slightly strange hypothesis, but it is the best I can imagine for the moment in the absence of anything else!

The empty system strength seems to be unchanged—the difference could be that the test in Daruwach was an inhabited system, and perhaps that escape pods have an increased effect there. It is a slightly strange hypothesis, but it is the best I can imagine for the moment in the absence of anything else!
We will have to prove this first assumption. The test this evening with 28 ocupied escape pods gave us nearly none progress (pods ware stored on carrier...), so it is absolutely unsure atm.

I tried taking some pods in Inara to test my hypothesis that the effect is glitched to be inverse of the supposed value. No luck - miniscule progress increase.

All of these things lead me to think that these Thargoids just don’t have any real individualistic behaviour, at least not the ships we interact with. They are either controlled by a higher intelligence or programmed because they seem to always perform perfectly predictable actions and never deviate from their laid out paths. Like they are mindless drones.

Like the one above, if they don’t find what they are looking for they ignore you completely until you behave a certain way, even though you belong to a party they are at war with.

Either that they are the most disciplined soldiers ever.

All of these things lead me to think that these Thargoids just don’t have any real individualistic behaviour, at least not the ships we interact with. They are either controlled by a higher intelligence or programmed because they seem to always perform perfectly predictable actions and never deviate from their laid out paths. Like they are mindless drones.

Like the one above, if they don’t find what they are looking for they ignore you completely until you behave a certain way, even though you belong to a party they are at war with.

Either that they are the most disciplined soldiers ever.
It’s not too much of a stretch to imagine what we are fighting is the ‘rank and file’ of the Thargoids - aka their drones, which are, presumably, intelligent, but not sentient/sapient, and directly controlled by the queens. Which are probably all comfy out in Witch Space while laughing at human idiocy.

(That last part about them laughing at us is a joke, so don’t take it too seriously. Although I would like to know how much of a threat the Thargoids actually think humans are.)

It’s not too much of a stretch to imagine what we are fighting is the ‘rank and file’ of the Thargoids - aka their drones, which are, presumably, intelligent, but not sentient/sapient, and directly controlled by the queens. Which are probably all comfy out in Witch Space while laughing at human idiocy.

(That last part about them laughing at us is a joke, so don’t take it too seriously. Although I would like to know how much of a threat the Thargoids actually think humans are.)

They seem very much like the Zerg from StarCraft.

Top Bottom