Thargoid invasion - Next target systems?

Even if range matters in theory, with Col 285 Sector OG-E b12-1 at 22 Ly I imagine it matters little in practice—20 Ly has been our containment/eradication line! 300 is also close enough to half of all Control systems.
The layout of the galaxy might matter here since some maelstroms might end up with significantly less planets that can contain barnacles - assuming they're not all hand placed and can spread.

This evening we testet harvesting in alert system Cephei Sector AF-A c21 (unpopulated, 20,67ly). It seems that alerts need lower efforts than before. Selling 174 tissue samples gave a system progress of 64 %. We sold those 174 samples in two separate orders of 87 samples each. Each sell order gave 32% progress. So only aprox 273 samples needed to complete the system.

6 Orthrus kills in system Cephei Sector AV-Y b0 (unpopulated, 23,57ly) gave 22% progress; aprox 30 Orthrus needed to complete the system.

Maybe some tests in other alert systems on other mealstroms can be made to prove these new values.

We found Thargoid-Barnacle-Matrixes around MS Oya in the follwing systems:
  • Cephei Sector XO-A b3, planet 2 (1524 ls)
  • Lyncis Sector WU-P b5-0, planet 3 (703 ls)
  • Cephei Sector AF-A c9, planet A1 (4298 ls) --> this one is only shown in VSS and system map, but there is no signal on the planet...

Last edited:
The scythe is easy to attract by picking up escape pods. Do their tissue samples or destruction count for much in either alert or control systems or are they more of an interference

The scythe is easy to attract by picking up escape pods. Do their tissue samples or destruction count for much in either alert or control systems or are they more of an interference
Samples haven't mattered for value based on where they are from so if samples from a Scythe are worth more than samples from anything else that is significant. Would doubt that until shown to be true though, makes little sense for a Scythe to be worth more than e.g. a Hydra when a Hydra is worth no more than a scout.

6 Orthrus kills in system Cephei Sector AV-Y b0 (unpopulated, 23,57ly) gave 22% progress; aprox 30 Orthrus needed to complete the system.
That seems to be an extremely high reward in my experience - it's pretty easy for a solo player to take out 8-10 in an hour. Are you taking into account how many cmdrs are present at the time of the kill (i.e. how many are awarded the bond)?

Last edited:
That seems to be an extremely high reward in my experience - it's pretty easy for a solo player to take out 8-10 in an hour. Are you taking into account how many cmdrs are present at the time of the kill i.e. how many are awarded the bond)?
Suspiciously high to me too. That would be the same as about 40 samples. Definitely other activity there.

That seems to be an extremely high reward in my experience - it's pretty easy for a solo player to take out 8-10 in an hour. Are you taking into account how many cmdrs are present at the time of the kill (i.e. how many are awarded the bond)?
It is always possible that other cmdrs also did something in the systems. We did this in a system which had 0% as we started and after one the tick it had 22%.
So other cmdr would have to be working at the same time as we did. That was why we asked if any other cmdrs can confirm this. Furthermore it was an uninhabited system (23,57 ly) so it is not suprising that the kills impacted as much as they did. What we also noticed that the value of sampels has been increased in alert systems so that could also fit in for the orthus kill.
o7

I wonder if the Thargoids are changing their tactic by prioritizing settling & fortifying already controlled systems but I think we need a bit more data before concluding anything... Still, considering the numerous matrixes we are finding in controlled systems (which prevent any recapture attempt), I wouldn't be surprised if something changed.

Not being able to retake control systems would certainly be something of a game changer, if any start appearing further out from Maelstroms/Titans.

But they currently are still on the backfoot, so I’m not sure this will do much to change things. Do wonder if there will be more that appear over time.
Thank you ever so much for the scouting support!
Happy to provide - I myself am curious if a Maelstrom can launch alerts of its own too. Here’s to hoping those two systems also remain clear of the barnacles until cleared.

Victories in Hyades Sector NT-I b9-3, Cephei Sectors AV-Y b0 and AF-A c21, HIP 20019 and Pegasi Sector HH-U b3-4!

Alerts at 07:20 4th August 3309:
Muruidooges Alert 40% *40.3%Hadad 18 Ly, 1018 Ls starport, 7225 Ls outpost, 7320 Ls planet
HIP 23716 Alert 40% — Taranis 18 Ly, 2314 Ls starport, 2351 Ls outpost, 2354 Ls planet
Vistnero Alert 38% — Raijin 21 Ly, 147 Ls starport, 147 Ls planet
69 Upsilon Tauri Alert 30% *31.6%Indra 26 Ly, 3628 Ls starport, 3697 Ls outpost, 1474 Ls planet
Ebisu Alert 22% — Taranis 21 Ly, 358 Ls starport, 63 Ls outpost, 1798 Ls planet
Holvandalla Alert 20% — Raijin 21 Ly, 86 Ls starport, 19 Ls outpost

Evictions:
HIP 19781 Control 18% — Indra 26 Ly, 1260 strength

Clean-up:
HIP 111081 Alert 92% *93.2%Raijin 25 Ly, empty
HIP 4041 Alert 26% *27.5%Oya 19 Ly, empty
Hyades Sector NS-T c3-14 Alert 26% — Taranis 23 Ly, empty
Trianguli Sector ZJ-A b1 Alert 20% — Taranis 22 Ly, empty

Operation Redacted has 3023 of 20043 stored, placing it almost a day ahead of schedule, so a bit of target-trimming later could be quite nice—if we are able. Ideally I would like to guard Wangakwan and Ildano, two systems we cleared originally, for which the attackers are Hyades Sectors QN-T c3-13, AA-P b6-4, HW-W d1-88 and EG-N b7-2. If any of those have frozen progress, I think it best to clear the others regardless and—echoing indeed the goal of Operation Redacted—let this become a test whether a system from which we cannot evict Control can still start attacks.

I wonder if the Thargoids are changing their tactic by prioritizing settling & fortifying already controlled systems but I think we need a bit more data before concluding anything... Still, considering the numerous matrixes we are finding in controlled systems (which prevent any recapture attempt), I wouldn't be surprised if something changed.

Fortifying—or getting desperate and low on Meta-alloys? It is a tenuous situation indeed when their war materials are sourced from the systems those materials are required to occupy!

Fortifying—or getting desperate and low on Meta-alloys? It is a tenuous situation indeed when their war materials are sourced from the systems those materials are required to occupy!
Not if it was always their intention. They've taken all this territory for some reason. I just wonder why they did not start seeding straight away, while they were still expanding.

I just wonder why they did not start seeding straight away, while they were still expanding.
Possibly they have been - all the systems they've been found in so far have been ones they've held from the start or near enough, with the exception of Col 285 Sector YT-F b12-2 at Cocijo and even that's been held since 9 March. Though that may be coincidental on the systems they're using also all being with 25 LY and almost all within 20 LY, of course.

Top Bottom