Thargoid invasion - Next target systems?

Been doing 240 critically injured passenger runs from time to time but I can't seem to find any information on if selecting influence on the mission rewards screen increases the bar faster. Anyone know?

Time-consuming to absolutely prove, but what I've seen suggests not.
This is almost certainly correct the faction influence reward just raises that factions influence in that system like normal missions do it has nothing to do with the progress bar. I've done hundreds of critical evac runs in my cargo cutter stacking 20 missions at a time what I really want to know is if this is the best way to progress a invasion system. On average in a hours time I can complete roughly 3 runs completing 60 missions and delivering 900-1200 people.

If combat or tissue sampling would be a better use of that same hour I would do it I just wish it was easier to tell what's the best thing to do. For alert systems tissue sampling is definitely the best thing atm so no question there. Cmdr Aleks Zuno said in the OP that the critical evacs have a strong effect so that's why I usually do them for invasion systems and I've seen other info elsewhere that concurs with that so until I'm told otherwise I'll keep doing those when I find damaged stations. I've gotten fairly good at dodging the dozen incoming enemy alerts that come with stacking 20 missions.

But to make it clear whatever impact the evac missions have I'm sure it's purely based on mission completion I would be incredibly surprised if reward choice had any influence.

Last edited:
This is almost certainly correct the faction influence reward just raises that factions influence in that system like normal missions do it has nothing to do with the progress bar. I've done hundreds of critical evac runs in my cargo cutter stacking 20 missions at a time what I really want to know is if this is the best way to progress a invasion system. On average in a hours time I can complete roughly 3 runs completing 60 missions and delivering 900-1200 people.

If combat or tissue sampling would be a better use of that same hour I would do it I just wish it was easier to tell what's the best thing to do. For alert systems tissue sampling is definitely the best thing atm so no question there. Cmdr Aleks Zuno said in the OP that the critical evacs have a strong effect so that's why I usually do them for invasion systems and I've seen other info elsewhere that concurs with that so until I'm told otherwise I'll keep doing those when I find damaged stations. I've gotten fairly good at dodging the dozen incoming enemy alerts that come with stacking 20 missions.

But to make it clear whatever impact the evac missions have I'm sure it's purely based on mission completion I would be incredibly surprised if reward choice had any influence.
AFAIK, tissue sampling is by far the most efficient way to progress systems.

The moral of this story is go big or go home:

So I had enough materials around to build a Federal Corvette modified shard cannon Thargoid killing machine (or so I thought..).. Here's the thing.. I didn't have enough materials handy to build 6 class 2 Cannons (EDIT: 5 class 2's and a class 1!).. so I ended up with 3 class 2, and 3 class 1's. WELLLLL... that cost me $60,000,000 in rebuys... LOL. I took a few with me.. but I got in over my head when 2 were on me... twice... so the grind gets back on tonight to build 3 more class 2's.

So.. if you are going to build a big boy Thargoid killer.. go in with 6 class 2 Shard Cannons.. if that is your weapon of choice...

I run Gauss cannons on my Cheiftain, but I think the Shard Cannons are going to be fun. The shard cannon's ammunition gets on target so fast.. aiming is SOOO much easier. AND always load up on PREMIUM ammo. WOW! Have your field neutralizer handy.. you have a few seconds to fire it after the bugs go green.. or you get the "Energy surge detected" notification on the HUD. I have it set as secondary fire (2) to all weapons on primary fire(1).. same setting as discovery scanner... in combat mode the neutralizer fires. AND LOTS AND LOTS of Heat sinks. LOTS.

If you use VOICE attack.. you will want to turn off the auto launch of heat sinks feature.. or you will burn through them very quickly when you really do not have to.

Does anyone know if you can change the temperature on VOICE attack for when it auto deploys a heat sink? I haven't looked into it.. but that would be a cool feature (PUN INTENDED!!)!

Long Live Humanity! Death to the Thargoids!

o7 Commanders!

Last edited:
AFAIK, tissue sampling is by far the most efficient way to progress systems.
Even for invasion systems? If that is indeed the case I'll swap to my 6 mod plasma charger ax cutter and start doing that instead.
The moral of this story is go big or go home:

So I had enough materials around to build a Federal Corvette modified shard cannon Thargoid killing machine (or so I thought..).. Here's the thing.. I didn't have enough materials handy to build 6 class 2 Cannons.. so I ended up with 3 class 2, and 3 class 1's. WELLLLL... that cost me $60,000,000 in rebuys... LOL. I took a few with me.. but I got in over my head when 2 were on me... twice... so the grind gets back on tonight to build 3 more class 2's.

So.. if you are going to build a big boy Thargoid killer.. go in with 6 class 2 Shard Cannons.. if that is your weapon of choice...

I run Gauss cannons on my Cheiftain, but I think the Shard Cannons are going to be fun. The shard cannon's ammunition gets on target so fast.. aiming is SOOO much easier. AND always load up on PREMIUM ammo. WOW! Have your field neutralizer handy.. you have a few seconds to fire it after the bugs go green.. or you get the "Energy surge detected" notification on the HUD. I have it set as secondary fire (2) to all weapons on primary fire(1).. same setting as discovery scanner... in combat mode the neutralizer fires. AND LOTS AND LOTS of Heat sinks. LOTS.

If you use VOICE attack.. you will want to turn off the auto launch of heat sinks feature.. or you will burn through them very quickly when you really do not have to.

Does anyone know if you can change the temperature on VOICE attack for when it auto deploys a heat sink? I haven't looked into it.. but that would be a cool feature (PUN INTENDED!!)!

Long Live Humanity! Death to the Thargoids!

o7 Commanders!
Agreed with that sentiment definitely best to make your ship builds as strong as possible. I spent a crazy amount of time grabbing 24...yes 24 lol weapon fragments to unlock 6 size 2 and size 1 modded shards and chargers. Been watching vids by Cmdr Riz and others for build ideas I'm hesitant to take off my prizzys but seems going shield less is what most do. No idea about voice attack I use a ds4 on my PC was originally on console and have heatsinks bound to the share button. Gl cmdr and happy hunting o7

Victories in Nu Guang, Namayu and HIP 26688!

Targets at 18:00 27th March 3309:
HR 1403 Invasion 92% — Indra 25 Ly, 3 ports, 62k Ls outpost + 62k Ls outpost attack, 194 Ls 2.5g planet + 2483 Ls 0.13g planet damage
Ahol Invasion 68% — Hadad 21 Ly, 3 ports, 395 Ls 0.3g planet attack, 715 Ls 0.4g planet damage
Baudani Invasion 64% — Leigong 25 Ly, 3 ports, 596 Ls 0.11g planet attack
Poqomathi Alert 60% — Oya 24 Ly, 14 Ls outpost, 14 Ls planet
Bhotepa Invasion 56% — Oya 28 Ly, 1 port, 259 Ls outpost attack, 259 Ls outpost damage
Elboongzi Invasion 56% — Oya 27 Ly, 3 ports, 1158 Ls outpost attack
HIP 26274 Invasion 56% — Taranis 24 Ly, 1 port, 4936 Ls 0.3g planet attack, 4935 Ls 0.3g planet damage

Clean-up:
Pegasi Sector NY-O a7-2 Alert 92% — Raijin 25 Ly, empty
Col 285 Sector BA-P c6-10 Control 80% — Cocijo 28 Ly, empty
Col 285 Sector OM-B b14-7 Control 80% — Hadad 30 Ly, empty

Even for invasion systems? If that is indeed the case I'll swap to my 6 mod plasma charger ax cutter and start doing that instead.

It works in Invasion and Control systems at least; personally I would not want to make a confident statement that it is definitely better than defending attacked ports, that being difficult both to test and to quantify, though generally Research samples are a quite strong action in any system.

So I had enough materials around to build a Federal Corvette modified shard cannon Thargoid killing machine (or so I thought..).. Here's the thing.. I didn't have enough materials handy to build 6 class 2 Cannons.. so I ended up with 3 class 2, and 3 class 1's. WELLLLL... that cost me $60,000,000 in rebuys... LOL. I took a few with me.. but I got in over my head when 2 were on me... twice... so the grind gets back on tonight to build 3 more class 2's.

Mind that a Federal Corvette cannot equip six class 2 weapons, and that heavy starships in general can only spend limited time being attacked directly. With six class 2 Shards on an Anaconda you can remove a Cyclops in seconds and therefore avoid much damage, however anything tougher will need to be fought properly (without more Commanders helping you), incurring many journeys back to the docking pad for repairs.

Been watching vids by Cmdr Riz and others for build ideas I'm hesitant to take off my prizzys but seems going shield less is what most do.

If it helps to know, having a Shield equipped while Thargoids are around can cause more problems than it solves. Lightning is obvious and goes without saying, while each of those little strikes, including from Swarms and Scouts, has a Phasing component which gets a free strike on your hull (even if it would have missed you without a shield). The phasing damage also loses its Caustic damage type, so you have no way to equip resistance to help with that.

Without a shield:
  • You have much more power available; in particular, you can use Thermal Spread or perhaps even go as far as Low Emissions.
  • You can fill your Utility hardpoints with everything else you need/want; heat sinks, caustic sink, neutraliser, scanner.
  • More projectiles miss you due to having a smaller angular projection.
  • Caustic resistance works, and has a synergy with repairs of course.
  • Silent Running becomes a quite useful option, both for hiding your signal and for raising your heat if needed.
Probably the biggest threat without a shield is your modules, which is why many loadouts will have two small and one large Module reinforcement and the AFMU to repair that large one. Heavies will want instead something like four large Module reinforcements. Either way though, you can not absorb Swarm missiles for very long that way, for your external modules will only get half protection and therefore still get ruined. Good medium vessels will have enough boost multiplier (and pilot foresight) to avoid that, while heavy vessels either have to fight planetary or accept it.

The occasional Repair limpet will keep the canopy going quite efficiently, and with limpets in the cargo hold you will also want to keep the Cargo scoop healthy so as not to drop them. Other malfunctions are not too much of a problem with the exception of the Neutraliser, which becomes a liability by activating itself at random times, seldom appropriate and best answered just by letting your SYS power deplete.

Have your field neutralizer handy.. you have a few seconds to fire it after the bugs go green.. or you get the "Energy surge detected" notification on the HUD. I have it set as secondary fire (2) to all weapons on primary fire(1).. same setting as discovery scanner... in combat mode the neutralizer fires.

There's a key binding for the field neutralizer now. Bind it to a key so you don't need it in your fire groups!

For my AX Anaconda I have 6 modified guardian shard cannons and 2 turretted long range thermal vent beam laser, split 3+1 on each of left and right buttons so I can alternate fire or blast all at once. Its very effective :) I've gone shieldless with 2 GMRPs and 7 GHRPs for 30% caustic resistance and 10600 caustic hull using a build posted in the forums a few days back. WIth that I can pretty much face tank Cyclops and Medusas but had to run from the Hydras. I also tend to start by mopping up the scouts so I don't end up with a pack of them firing on me when I'm facing an interceptor.

I've been having to land at the surface port under attack to repair/reload fairly frequently, but managed to take out 18 interceptors last night having only ever killed one before :)

Trying to decide if its worth dropping one GHRP and one G5 HRP for a limpet controller and cargo rack - I feel a bit vulnerable without any means to repair myself, but not sure how well that would work. Also going to investigate how effective caustic sink launchers are with this build for planetary attack scenarios.

[edit] caustic sink launcher did seem to help prolong my hull's life however an annoyance is that with more than one caustic sink, I run with them all in a fire group with all but one disabled, however after a shutdown - which I always seem to miss the warning for :s - they are all enabled and I have to go and disable all but one again. So going to just run with two caustic sink launchers in a fire group one on each button.

Last edited:
Victories in Cephei Sector CQ-Y b3, Pegasi Sector NY-O a7-2, Col 285 Sector OM-B b14-7, HR 1403 and Poqomathi! That makes nineteen, and surely there are more to follow.

The Invasion systems listed below are appropriate for expecting completion this cycle with Elboongzi at the very edge of that projection, so these are best for Commanders seeking a good fight. Below that are a few locations which could use some Research sample runs, and note that the full list at the top of the thread contains a good few systems which would be poor for casual investment but could be completed by one Wing with the appropriate equipment.

Targets at 00:00 28th March 3309:
Ahol Invasion 82% — Hadad 21 Ly, 3 ports, 395 Ls 0.3g planet attack, 715 Ls 0.4g planet damage
Baudani Invasion 72% — Leigong 25 Ly, 3 ports, 596 Ls 0.11g planet attack
HIP 26274 Invasion 70% — Taranis 24 Ly, 1 port, 4936 Ls 0.3g planet attack, 4935 Ls 0.3g planet damage
69 Upsilon Tauri Invasion 60% — Indra 26 Ly, 7 ports, 3780 Ls outpost + 3740 Ls 0.4g planet attack
Bhotepa Invasion 60% — Oya 28 Ly, 1 port, 259 Ls outpost attack, 259 Ls outpost damage
Elboongzi Invasion 60% — Oya 27 Ly, 3 ports, 1158 Ls outpost attack

Clean-up:
Pegasi Sector NY-O a7-3 Alert 58% — Raijin 25 Ly, empty
Pegasi Sector EB-W b2-2 Alert 52% — Raijin 24 Ly, empty
Col 285 Sector TH-C b13-3 Control 44% — Thor 22 Ly, empty

There's a key binding for the field neutralizer now. Bind it to a key so you don't need it in your fire groups!

Additional bonus—use a held button! One has to hold the Neutraliser active anyway, so it is as well to use a held button for it so that tapping the button is still available to be used for something else. Personally I set it so that holding my Chaff button activates the Neutraliser instead.

Additional bonus—use a held button! One has to hold the Neutraliser active anyway, so it is as well to use a held button for it so that tapping the button is still available to be used for something else. Personally I set it so that holding my Chaff button activates the Neutraliser instead.
oo so I can have one key for both heatsinks and neutraliser? Only played this game for 5 years was not aware of a "held" key binding X)

Ty for all the info Cmdr Aleks yeah at the start of the war I fully g5 engineered around a dozen ships of all sizes for ax combat all have the 2 small and 1 big gmrp and most are shield less I just have to get over the pucker factor of having no shields. Think I'll focus mostly on tissue samples in alert systems from now on and run evac or combat missions in invasion systems when I feel like doing something different or I see a invasion system that's close and needs help finishing.

Might go ahead and steal that cutter build you posted a few pages ago for doing tissue runs. I'm guessing with tissue sample gathering you dont bother fighting the interceptors and carry all that flak to easily frag swarms and the ax multis are for dealing with scouts presumably? As in I shouldn't bother trying to kill them and just focus on tissue samples as much possible when doing that? Either way I'll go grab a size 7 multi limpet and a few caustic racks later tonight and get to it. o7 cmdrs

Edit: Just went to Kuwemaki and was able to fully g5 a low emissions pp for my cutter with monstered effect and am sitting at .14 heat with 32mw so I'm as cold as can be and still have enough power that nothing has to shut off not that there was much left that could on this build. Made another 8a pp g5 armored while I was there to see if that will work for 6 modded shards and/or plasma chargers. Only got 2 size 4 caustic racks so I'll have to dip back to my carrier frequently I would use more but don't want to shave off anymore armor on top of dropping the prizzy. Running 3x size 3 enhanced ax multis, 1 size 2 enhanced ax missle rack and 3 flak will try finishing them off but guessing the samples will be more important. Hull hp is just over 4k, got a size 3a amfu and 3x 5d gmrps. The g5 le pp and 6x Sirius heatsinks I'm running should keep them from getting much of a lock on me...hopefully lol.

Last edited:
Continuing experiments with ground attack (solo) it seems having a repair limpet controller and cargo is wasted as you can't restock limpets at the base. So looks like a pure hull tank build is best with a couple of caustic sink launchers instead of heatsinks.

Agreed with that sentiment definitely best to make your ship builds as strong as possible. I spent a crazy amount of time grabbing 24...yes 24 lol weapon fragments to unlock 6 size 2 and size 1 modded shards and chargers. Been watching vids by Cmdr Riz and others for build ideas I'm hesitant to take off my prizzys but seems going shield less is what most do. No idea about voice attack I use a ds4 on my PC was originally on console and have heatsinks bound to the share button. Gl cmdr and happy hunting o7
Yeah.. I was definitely nervous switching to shield less. My Corvette was all shields all day... and they NEVER came down! :) But my two AX builds seem to hold up well with no shields and tonna hull vs the badbugs. The best thing about the modified shard cannons is how easy they are to aim! Solid accuracy, no waiting to line up the Gauss or lead with the plasma. Aim, fire.. BANG. Dead bug.

What do you all think of the Guardian modified power plant and the gaurdian modified distributor? I'm more than willing to grind for it.. but I haven't

For my AX Anaconda I have 6 modified guardian shard cannons and 2 turretted long range thermal vent beam laser, split 3+1 on each of left and right buttons so I can alternate fire or blast all at once. Its very effective :) I've gone shieldless with 2 GMRPs and 7 GHRPs for 30% caustic resistance and 10600 caustic hull using a build posted in the forums a few days back. WIth that I can pretty much face tank Cyclops and Medusas but had to run from the Hydras. I also tend to start by mopping up the scouts so I don't end up with a pack of them firing on me when I'm facing an interceptor.

I've been having to land at the surface port under attack to repair/reload fairly frequently, but managed to take out 18 interceptors last night having only ever killed one before :)

Trying to decide if its worth dropping one GHRP and one G5 HRP for a limpet controller and cargo rack - I feel a bit vulnerable without any means to repair myself, but not sure how well that would work. Also going to investigate how effective caustic sink launchers are with this build for planetary attack scenarios.

[edit] caustic sink launcher did seem to help prolong my hull's life however an annoyance is that with more than one caustic sink, I run with them all in a fire group with all but one disabled, however after a shutdown - which I always seem to miss the warning for :s - they are all enabled and I have to go and disable all but one again. So going to just run with two caustic sink launchers in a fire group one on each button.
I hear you on the Field Neutralizer.. but I HATE going from Throttle / Stick to keyboard and back again... ESPECIALLY IN VR..and especially when the window for deploying the field is pretty tight!

o7

Only got 2 size 4 caustic racks so I'll have to dip back to my carrier frequently I would use more but don't want to shave off anymore armor on top of dropping the prizzy.

When you spoke of removing the Shield, I thought you were referring to direct combat. If you meant that for research samples, I recommend accepting the calculated hazard of using the shield, because all of the cargo space and equipment precludes appropriate protection. The only exception is if you have the limited class 6 corrosive cargo, releasing many module slots for protection.

For what it is worth, direct Cyclops damage is negligible with the shield and requires no attempts to avoid it.

Might go ahead and steal that cutter build you posted a few pages ago for doing tissue runs.

By all means; I would add that I keep meddling with its utilities. When summoning in an Alert system you just need Shield boosters, though when dropping by a planet in a Control system it is better to bring a Neutraliser and a Caustic sink. I suggest keeping an extra 5B Shield cell bank around for swapping with a Hull reinforcement depending on situation.

Your goal is to balance your hull and shield, including cells and four to SYS, so that they would both deplete together. Generally this means having nine times more shield than hull, though given observable damage differences between Swarms and Interceptors I now suspect it is not quite as simple as assuming 10% phasing.

I'm guessing with tissue sample gathering you dont bother fighting the interceptors and carry all that flak to easily frag swarms and the ax multis are for dealing with scouts presumably? As in I shouldn't bother trying to kill them and just focus on tissue samples as much possible when doing that?

Exactly! Note that:
  • When the Interceptor starts replacing Swarms, their missile formation will expend itself all at once. The skill here is either to maximise time by thinning it without destroying it, or moving proactively in a way which will put you within range to coax the missiles but with a trajectory which will escape. Good medium vessels can do that as a reaction, but the Cutter will need you to watch the radar and plan ahead. Remember that you need to stay within 5 km for the limpets to finish their work, and you need to lower your speed for them to reach you with the sample, both of which can make Swarm attacks inevitable.
  • You can revert that situation by destroying a petal, but that then makes the lightning attack active, so I would consider that only if indeed you have no shield. If you have a shield, it is better to use its strength of absorbing Swarm missiles.

Continuing experiments with ground attack (solo) it seems having a repair limpet controller and cargo is wasted as you can't restock limpets at the base. So looks like a pure hull tank build is best with a couple of caustic sink launchers instead of heatsinks.

It depends on the starship; despite being unable to restock limpets, in some cases it can enable you to restore your entire hull amount several times over—given time to repair, of course. My Chieftain has repairs, my Fer-de-Lance has too little space for repairs, and my six-Shard Anaconda cannot avoid projectiles well enough for repairs.

For tissue sampling destroying petals and/or baiting out the lightning might increase yields per limpet in return of taking some damage if you time it so that the limpets detach/return during the 30s window the interceptor stays still or use lightning to slow it down, this might work better in wings with coordination.

Been doing 240 critically injured passenger runs from time to time but I can't seem to find any information on if selecting influence on the mission rewards screen increases the bar faster. Anyone know?
Time-consuming to absolutely prove, but what I've seen suggests not.
On the same subject, anyone know if bringing in supplies in the missions tab move it?

How about just looking at what's needed in the commodities listing?

Personally, I tend to go for commodities because I find it hard to believe any station needs to fight an invasion with 500 tons of onionhead.

Victories in HIP 26274, Ahol, Bhotepa and Ge! That is a very nice twenty-three with 2–4 more Invasions projected, and definitely well done to those who have been fighting some Conflict Zones all week to bring those systems into focus. There are also some very ripe unpopulated systems, two of which could be cleared with a single Research run.

As a courtesy note for DCOH, if anyone could pass it on—the Qinganu system has been listed there at 2% for a while, however every scan here has shown zero.

Invasions at 22:40 28th March 3309:
Baudani Invasion 90% — Leigong 25 Ly, 3 ports, 596 Ls 0.11g planet attack
69 Upsilon Tauri Invasion 78% — Indra 26 Ly, 7 ports, 3780 Ls outpost + 3740 Ls 0.4g planet attack
Pathamon Invasion 72% — Leigong 22 Ly, 1 port, 105 Ls starport attack, 105 Ls 1.7g planet + 2696 Ls outpost damage
Elboongzi Invasion 70% — Oya 27 Ly, 3 ports, 1158 Ls outpost attack

Surplus:
Senocidi Invasion 56% — Taranis 20 Ly, 1 port, 184 Ls starport attack, 467k Ls 0.14g planet damage
Muruidooges Invasion 42% — Hadad 18 Ly, 2 ports, 7321 Ls outpost attack, 7320 Ls 0.4g planet damage
HIP 20491 Invasion 38% — Indra 23 Ly, 3 ports, 3197 Ls 0.2g planet attack, 3194 Ls 0.19g planet damage
63 Eridani Invasion 36% — Taranis 20 Ly, 1 port, 1698 Ls starport attack, 432 Ls 0.9g planet + 2726 Ls outpost damage

Alerts (invest with caution):
Kagutsuchi Alert 46% — Indra 22 Ly, 42 Ls starport, 55 Ls outpost, 42 Ls planet
Yan Zangata Alert 42% — Hadad 22 Ly, 70 Ls outpost

Clean-up:
Col 285 Sector TH-C b13-3 Control 86% — Thor 22 Ly, empty
Pegasi Sector NY-O a7-3 Alert 72% — Raijin 25 Ly, empty
Pegasi Sector EB-W b2-2 Alert 58% — Raijin 24 Ly, empty
Col 285 Sector VD-G b12-1 Alert 42% — Cocijo 27 Ly, empty

On the same subject, anyone know if bringing in supplies in the missions tab move it?
How about just looking at what's needed in the commodities listing?
Personally, I tend to go for commodities because I find it hard to believe any station needs to fight an invasion with 500 tons of onionhead.

According to Sally Morgan-Moore, items requested by a delivery mission count as if they were in-demand, and doing that also counts for a mission completion as well!

Great info again Cmdr Aleks I'll have to mull everything over and readjust from the sound of it I thought you were doing tissue sampling unshielded. I have a size 8 prizzy that would shield me pretty well but still need to go grab stuff for the caustic sink will probably start there. Unfortunately I never got the size 6 racks when they were available so I'll swap to a shielded build and drop armor for more size 4s. Will probably run a 8a prizzy with dual 6a scbs would flip and run a 6a prizzy with dual 8a scbs but dont want to lose the big multi limpet controller. Ty again for the help o7

Edit: might just go with a big 8a prizzy with no scbs and use most of if not all other optional racks for cargo and limpet controllers and play around with stuff a bit. Got pretty nimble with a cutter after a ridiculous amount of time mining vo back in the day with a big prizzy I should be able to tank some thargons like you said. Will still load up on Sirius sinks for help breaking target lock either way if this is the best we can do to help I need to figure it out. Will start with unlocking the caustic sink asap been sleeping on that thing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom