The 2020 Dev Run: As Big As The Launch Run (?)

One thing for sure, whatever comes in 2020/2021 there are a few (the same few) that will complain:
  • It comes with Elite Feet and not Atmospherics: I don't want feet/an FPS! Why didn't Frontier work on atmospherics?
  • It comes with Atmospherics not Elite Feet: landing on planets is boring, I want to get out and explore! Why didn't Frontier work on Elite Feet?
  • It comes with both: (slight brain melt while they think of something to complain about). Why didn't Frontier work on one and "get it right" rather than giving us bare bones which they will never look at again?
You can almost bet money on it :p

One thing for sure, whatever comes in 2020/2021 there are a few (the same few) that will complain:
  • It comes with Elite Feet and not Atmospherics: I don't want feet/an FPS! Why didn't Frontier work on atmospherics?
  • It comes with Atmospherics not Elite Feet: landing on planets is boring, I want to get out and explore! Why didn't Frontier work on Elite Feet?
  • It comes with both: (slight brain melt while they think of something to complain about). Why didn't Frontier work on one and "get it right" rather than giving us bare bones which they will never look at again?
You can almost bet money on it :p
You forgot those who will then complain about the complainers.

Using the restaurant analogy:

The diners never see the pain of running a business.
The diners never see the work done for each food order.
The diners can eat the food faster than it can be cooked.
The diners are badly behaved, and lousy tippers.

If the restaurant charges too much, the customers stop coming.
If the customer has to wait an hour for a table, they will leave.
If the waitstaff fail to bring water (or are rude) to the customers while waiting, there will be lousy tips- community management.
If the customer has to wait an hour for the food order to arrive, they will leave.
If the food is bad, the customer will not come back, and it will go viral.
If there is food poisoning, the restaurant goes out of business.

This is why you never go into the restaurant business...or complain about running one. :)

For what it's worth........

I'd be surprised if base building was going to be a thing at the next release. They've been pretty clear in the past about how the game would develop and what, broadly speaking, would be the priority content. Of course game development can be a fluid thing but I'd be very surprised if this took precedence over other stuff.

I'd go against the leak and say that atmospheric planets are a near certainty. If they failed to add any by near enough the last quarter of 2020 that would be 5 years without any more planetary types being added. Possible? Yes, Likely? Not really imo. There's so much more they could add to the game with new planet types both visually and gameplay wise. That's a lot of work and if you're designing most of those planet types (maybe with the exception of Earth-likes) and adding in new materials and even fairly simplistic gameplay, it's going to take time. Additionally we know we're getting upgrades to rocky moons and ice worlds, so that might be a good signpost as to what's coming next.

Spacelegs? Not yet.

--------> Standard disclaimed about me usually being wrong.

Can you remember which stream this was? My eye has been off the ball recently due to family stuff. :(

I just did a quick transcript search of all the live vids since the leak and couldn't turn up anything for 'leak', 'legs' or 'atmos'. The transcript may have snarled the spelling though, or they used different phrasing etc.

Space Legs: A first person adventure game with shooter elements and an equipment based ability system.

That's how I like to imagine it.

With the trend for space games to have walking around I’d be surprised if it isn’t added in the next big update.
Base building would fit well with the added bonus of being a great way to sell cosmetics.
A free to play FPS with planet side war zones created by the bgs,new troop carrier modules,air support missions.
Of course this is all impossible.

Last edited:
With the trend for space games to have walking around I’d be surprised if it isn’t added in the next big update.
Base building would fit well with the added bonus of being a great way to sell cosmetics.
A free to play FPS with planet side war zones created by the bgs,new troop carrier modules,air support missions.
Of course this is all impossible.
Not impossible. See: CQC/Arena. :)

That's pretty intriguing. Have you got a timestamp at all? Or do you remember which vid it was in so I can search it out?

Can you remember which stream this was? My eye has been off the ball recently due to family stuff. :(

Damn - I knew at least one person would (quite reasonably) ask that. I think it was Will in a lunchtime stream, perhaps the Monday after the leak? I'm really sorry, I can't remember precisely. It was a single sentence throw-away comment in response to a question from the chat, wording very much along the lines of "... all I will say is that at least one of the things it says we're not working on isn't true".

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
Just re-posting this thought here since it's vaguely relevant ...

Havent seen that stream you mentioned (have a link / time stamp btw?) but if you describe it correctly then my humble speculative guess at the thing that was not true was probably the leak statement about Raxxla not existing, not the atmos.

Havent seen that stream you mentioned (have a link / time stamp btw?) but if you describe it correctly then my humble speculative guess at the thing that was not true was probably the leak statement about Raxxla not existing, not the atmos.

Yeah that was my first thought. (The Raxxla bit felt like a very trollish aside in the original text. And also not something that was likely to be on any 'roadmap' or concept art presentation or whatever).

I'm searching the best candidate streams casually but drawing a blank. Not even 'leek' has turned up anything ;)

Drat. Yup, you're probably right. :(

Top Bottom