Ships The Adder Appreciation Thread

I'm not seeing many adders flown by CMDR's much at all now.

Is the little shuttle just getting bypassed nowadays?

I'm tempted to get another one again....

I've always respected the Adder. Low investment, and large return. I now have some Adders (and their cousins, Haulers) docked at various stations throughout the systems. The fleet is now called "Karl's Kabs", and it's a nice little side business. Yeah, most will chuckle, but I enjoy it.

HHG_Karls_Kabs_Ad_02.jpg

I recently added an Adder to my fleet out in Colonia, one of the few birds you can outfit fairly well out there, and decided to make it scanner and salvager. It was my 3rd ship after the Sidey and Eagle back as a rookie and I remeber why, for it's size and price it's got a lot to offer, even non A rated and unengineered. So far I am enjoying it, quick (not fast on 3B thrusters)handles well, enough space to haul and room enough for a SRV. When I get back I may get one and see how it is fullu modified and A rated with those sweet 3A enhaced thrusters. I like the looks too, like the NASA STS (shuttle) but a bit more rotund. My main complaint, it needs a couple side windows, I mean seriously it has cup holders and a moon roof but no side windows. I'd say the Adder is 3304's Honda Civic, really nice for the price, making the Hauler 3304's Mitsubishi Mirage in comparison. It makes a nice upgrade from the Sidey or fun cheap run-about.

I recently added an Adder to my fleet out in Colonia, one of the few birds you can outfit fairly well out there, and decided to make it scanner and salvager. It was my 3rd ship after the Sidey and Eagle back as a rookie and I remeber why, for it's size and price it's got a lot to offer, even non A rated and unengineered. So far I am enjoying it, quick (not fast on 3B thrusters)handles well, enough space to haul and room enough for a SRV. When I get back I may get one and see how it is fullu modified and A rated with those sweet 3A enhaced thrusters. I like the looks too, like the NASA STS (shuttle) but a bit more rotund. My main complaint, it needs a couple side windows, I mean seriously it has cup holders and a moon roof but no side windows. I'd say the Adder is 3304's Honda Civic, really nice for the price, making the Hauler 3304's Mitsubishi Mirage in comparison. It makes a nice upgrade from the Sidey or fun cheap run-about.

My engineered Adder is in Colonia with me, with 3A enhanced thrusters and G5DD it cruises at 370 m/s and boosts to 550 m/s. :)
And it was fairly cheap to have it shipped too!

I agree, that at least one more side window at the back of the bridge would be great.
I have just landed at the world of death near Colonia with it, the planet that crosses a white dwarf's cone and exclusion zone.

CnXwgCS.jpg

Last edited:
My engineered Adder is in Colonia with me, with 3A enhanced thrusters and G5DD it cruises at 370 m/s and boosts to 550 m/s. :)
And it was fairly cheap to have it shipped too!

I agree, that at least one more side window at the back of the bridge would be great.
I have just landed at the world of death near Colonia with it, the planet that crosses a white dwarf's cone and exclusion zone.

I may yet send A rated and engineered modules for it out there later or build one in the
bubble and replace the current one that way, do you recall what the shipping cost was by
chance? I have been impressed, took down a pesky Cobra 4 and only lost a ring of shields
lands and fly's great, I do have a coriolis build sheet here, with how I hope I can engineer
it (based on previous rolls) if RNGesus decides to smile upon me, https://eddp.co/u/prK1hwNl
I figure that should be a good salvage runner and scanner. Cheap to build and insure fast and fun.
Honestly it may come down to what mats I have on hand and how much time.

133%, but the small modules you need for the Adder won't set you back much. If I remember right, shipping the whole thing equipped was about 6mils.

I'll add in my new Hybrid Stealth Adder for PvP here:

[video=youtube;5oKnKVqGEAY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oKnKVqGEAY&t=3s[/video]

[video=youtube;jtigtko8PXI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtigtko8PXI[/video]

[video=youtube;TvGG1huok0s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TvGG1huok0s[/video]

I love my Adder and have since the beginning of my Elite Dangerous career.

I use mine mostly for VIP passenger missions. Unfortunately, I can't always find one with a small enough passenger requirement, so a board flip or two might be necessary to get one to pop up. But I just like flying the ship and those 2-3 stop tourist missions are a great way to do just that. Plus, the Adder makes it easy to sneak the shy passengers in and out of the stations when necessary.

The Adder also makes a great salvage ship since you don't need a lot of cargo space for those missions. Sometimes I carry collector limpets, but most of the time I don't bother. The Adder is nimble enough to make it really easy to scoop up the mission cargo. Limpets help when there is more than one item to pick up though. And the Adder's nice boost is really helpful when the nasty NPCs show up and I need to get out of the way quickly.

Sometimes I refit my Adder and go do a little bounty hunting. I'm not a good enough pilot (or patient enough) to go to a HazRez in my Adder, but a HiRez and below can be a lot of fun in this ship.

I haven't tried any smuggling in the Adder - I should go make nice with a criminal faction and give that a try. I'm sure it's a lot of fun. The other thing to note is that the 3A Enhanced Thrusters make a LOT of difference in this ship if you keep the build lightweight. Even only engineered to G3DD I can hit 617 m/s on a boost in my salvage loadout and I'm well over 500 m/s in my passenger mode.

But there's also something... intangible about the Adder that I really like. I know people complain about it, but I actually really like the cockpit and don't find the relatively limited view to be too constricting. The ship just feels cozy in a way that I find difficult to explain. And there's just something about flying it. I just bought a T9 and it's pretty cool. But when I fly the T9 I feel like I am doing business. But when I fly the Adder I feel like I'm on an adventure.

Last edited:
Oh Adder... my FIRST ship in ED. Not counting Sidewinder as it's gifted/loaned. Adder was the first I bought. Sadly that one got sold in the process of climbing up to the bigger ships. But I always thought fondly about Adder. And when I finally got into Anaconda I got slightly disappointed with lack of missions that could fill her up. After a week flying her I bought Python. Not so long after I decided to get Adder back.

And guess what, having DBX, AspX, Python and Anaconda in my hangar (back then), I was flying small Adder all around. D-rated internals for lightweight, 3A engineered FSD turns this little ship into a beast. So what it can haul just 22t. Perfect shuttle for critical deliveries.

If only there would be some nice looking paint jobs...

I feel like the Adder is an often wasted opportunity as an entry-level multi-crew ship, in that we lack low-end missions that would incent multi-crew for this gem. Most low-end missions see you fighting a single enemy ship, not groups of Novice or lower ships. If I had my buddy as a gunner and controlling the chaff launcher, he could man the turret up top while we get dicey with a wing of pirates.

As it is, though, most of the early encounters are 1v1 and completely ignore multi-crew as a strategic option for our two small multi-crew ships.

I feel like the Adder is an often wasted opportunity as an entry-level multi-crew ship, in that we lack low-end missions that would incent multi-crew for this gem. Most low-end missions see you fighting a single enemy ship, not groups of Novice or lower ships. If I had my buddy as a gunner and controlling the chaff launcher, he could man the turret up top while we get dicey with a wing of pirates.

As it is, though, most of the early encounters are 1v1 and completely ignore multi-crew as a strategic option for our two small multi-crew ships.

I'm hoping space legs and multicrew SRVs will change that. Flying over a base while he strafes it with a MC turret. You land, one enters a building while the other covers with the SRV. Stuff like that.

One day. :p

Baldrick (my black adder ) is such a fun little ship.... need do some vids in it again... once I've gotten HOTAS controls down pat.

Good one! If I had Python, I'd name it Flying Circus. :)

Efit: I wish we had a passenger shuttle version with a few side windows! The cockpit is certainly feels like sitting in an airliner. Gotta love ZP's plane-like designs!

The cockpit is super unique in VR. :) It was my starter exploration ship (couldn't afford an Asp Explorer and this was 2nd best at the time), and with the free bonus slots it can still fit all you want for it. :D

Top Bottom