The Cortes Base drag strip challenge: another standing SRV time trial from the Buckyball Racing Club

Quick scoreboard update for Shaye who's knocked 3 further seconds off his time to solidify that pole position with a time of 4 minutes 13 seconds.

Nice!

So Mr Blackwood ... are you gonna post the video of how you managed to do such a fast turn around at the 10k line or shall I?

Un-be-frickin-lievable! :LOL:

I was gonna say I'd love to see the 4 minute barrier go but I don't really see how that 4:06 is possible to beat! (famous last words)

Good work AkenBosch (y)

( Except, you're too close to 05:00 to not go under surely ;) Go on! I mean, that's what I'll be doing as soon as I've stopped falling off the Pomeche ridge )

Edit: and PS, if anyone's keen for the ridge the sun rose a few hours ago, should be a couple of days of daylight now.

Last edited:
Cmdr Aken B. is back on the track and, with his traditional battle cry of "AAAAAAaaaaaAAAAAaaAaAAAAAaahhhhrgh!", he leapfrogs Sgurr by just 2 seconds to take 4th place.
Yes, yes I, ah, the traditional battle cry, that's just my, yes as you said, I....uhm, yes it's my battlecry, that's my battlecry, indeed...

( Except, you're too close to 05:00 to not go under surely ;) Go on! I mean, that's what I'll be doing as soon as I've stopped falling off the Pomeche ridge )
It would have been under that already, if only I could aim for one of those ramps and not for the main city walls...but all things considered, that time was already an outlier, can't shake myself off the 5:20 ballpark otherwise. Don't know why, I feel like something's changed from the past, there's something preventing me from gaining speed as I'd like (as I usually did), it's almost as if the SRV didn't pitch fast enough, or the boost reserve was less lasting than before, but it really must be just old me....

It's been a bit slow round here but the drag strip finally saw some new action yesterday as Cmdr Alvin Wall blew the cobwebs out of Cortes in a very nice 6min 59sec run to take 8th place, just 5 seconds ahead of MrMike.

Wooo, Cortes Base Drag Strip entry IN!

An attempt was made to fly over the base, but lost all my momentum to a spin out.
Did manage to accidently wander UNDER Cortes Base, so that's an exciting bonus. :cool:
Turns out that Cortes Base is suspended over a crater as wide as the base itself - those outer struts rest on the rim of the crater (mostly). If they can get over the temperature control problem, what a wine cellar/entertainment centre/SRV maintenance bay this will be once they get rid of the mining facility. In anticipation, one-way armoured glass has already been fitted to the floors on the upper storey so that visitors to the lower level can keep an eye on their ships (top right).

Top Bottom