General / Off-Topic The Covid vaccine must be mandatory ?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Just need to vent a bit, and this seemed as good a place as any to do so, because I saw these figures being trotted out as "positive" in the news for showing that "While cases are rising, hospitalisations are still on a downward trend".

What's off about this picture? Well, I took the liberty of highlighting it.

View attachment 278968

So the infection data is almost a week more recent than the hospitalisation figures
What do we know about hospitalisations? They lag behind infections. By about a week. The figures for the 30th of November represent infections on the 23-24th of November. Not from the 6th of December. So if we correct for both the difference in where the data runs up to, and the lag from infection to hospitalisation, that's around two weeks, which we can account for and then overlay the graphs on each other to see the relationship much more clearly, and also to see how much longer it's going to be before we see any potential knock-on effects of this uptick in cases represented in hospitalisation figures.
View attachment 278970

As we see, the lines have a lot of places where they track pretty damn closely, since those hospitalisations are among the people included in those new case figures a week earlier. Most importantly for the purposes of how this was being interpreted by media however, is that the slight uptick at the end of the hospitalisation figures is pretty much concurrent with the first detection of the most recent uptick in cases.

It would sure be nice if it turns out that hospitalisations do not track with cases this time around. But there's certainly no reason to expect it and the data won't be in for weeks, so it's exceptionally irresponsible to suggest the absence of data is indicative of something good.
Yep. You wont get far in this World telling the truth, unless you wrap it in fancy cellofane and perfume.

It's kind of the same with the numbers I'm currently watching closely, being the hospitalisations in South Africa. They haven't been updated since 27. Nov.

In Denmark we test a lot, and we sequence a lot of positives. Here the number of Omicron cases grow exponentially with a doubling time of roughly two days, and we have community spread. Yesterday the number of Omicron cases were 137.

1638963051212.png

This is not a drill. Things will change radically over the next months. Honestly, with the data we have, there is no clear indication that Omicron is mild (it's mostly wishful thinking like always), but it sure is contagious, even in a population with a high degree of immunity. Also the South Africa hospitalisations in the OWID link above has started rising, and they are two weeks old.

Take care out there, and good luck to all of you! :alien:

Edit: I hope y'all vaccinated, because the vaccine needs time to become efficient after inoculation.

Last edited:
Interesting quote from Mahatma Ghandi who is quoted by the anti-vaxxers for what he once thought about smallpox vaccination :

"I cant sleep. These kiddies are fading away like little buds. I feel the weight of their deaths on my shoulders. I prevailed upon their parents not to get them vaccinated. Now the children are passing away. It may be, I am afraid, the result of my ignorance and obstinacy; and so I feel very unhappy."

. Honestly, with the data we have, there is no clear indication that Omicron is mild (it's mostly wishful thinking like always), but it sure is contagious, even in a population with a high degree of immunity.
The big problem seems to be that from the available data, an awful lot more Omicron cases are reinfections of people who had antibodies from previous infection, which should in a sane world be the final nail in the coffin (perhaps a poor choice of words) to the idea of mass infection as a viable strategy for quickly developing population immunity...

And that is why I have zero sympathy for anti-vaxxers. They are not only using up resources they didn't have to use. They are wearing out our doctors with their nonsense. If they believe their crap so much they should just start their own "hospitals" and dole out the treatment they want to themselves. If there's so many of them, funding shouldn't be a problem. Put your money where your loudmouths are morons.

The big problem seems to be that from the available data, an awful lot more Omicron cases are reinfections of people who had antibodies from previous infection, which should in a sane world be the final nail in the coffin (perhaps a poor choice of words) to the idea of mass infection as a viable strategy for quickly developing population immunity...
There is actually a rather large immunity in the population around the world, but it decreases over time, and it does seem that it is less efficient against Omicron. We are getting used to "the daily numbers", and often forget that the true number of infections is much larger than the number of positive tests. Even in Denmark, with most testing being done per capita, the number of daily infections is probably 10-30 times higher than the numbers. That actually changes a lot in our understanding of the pandemic. The IFR for one is much lower than what you get if you just divide deaths by positives. That might be worth remembering when hell breaks lose.

The problem with Covid-19 doesn't seem to be that it's very deadly, as early data indicated back at the start of the pandemic (like >20%). The problem seems to be that it's very contagious, causing many infections, and even though only a small percentage become seriously ill, they have a much better chance of surviving when treated, and because the global population has become so large, even a small percentage is a lot of people. That is why every government around the globe is concerned about hospitals not being able to cope, because no treatment increase the fatality (dramatically, as seen in India).

This was mostly before Omicron, which seems to be a game changer. If it's mild, it could be a potential savior from Mother Nature. If it's not, we are up the creek without a paddle. Right now you can flip a coin to see which one it will be.

That is why every government around the globe is concerned about hospitals not being able to cope, because no treatment increase the fatality (dramatically, as seen in India).
Except ours, who have been happy to run at the highest levels our healthcare system can possibly cope with without exceeding capacity, effectively applying the logic of "just-in-time" supply chains to healthcare, assuming that if we match supply and demand that's the optimum situation, as if there's no conceivable scenario where demand might increase and we don't have the capacity to meet it...

coronavirus-data-explorer.jpg

Notice that the last data point is one week old. ICU also rising at same rate.

I wonder when someone will realize the severity of the current situation. Right now they are just poking it with a stick.

Notice that the last data point is one week old. ICU also rising at same rate.
That's a weekly report chart, so all data points are a week apart. But that is really obviously not the important thing!

I wonder when someone will realize the severity of the current situation. Right now they are just poking it with a stick.
(Waving frantically! )
The epidemiologists know, judging by their expostulations on Twitter. Gauteng province data vs other provinces gives a horrendous possible picture of the future -

Because it is much more infectious, and is now established as recombinant capable, it can mutate at an unprecedented rate in HIV populous southern Africa, who have intercurrent infection chronically with Lord knows what RNA viruses nobody else knows from exotic species exposure
, but because that population has a median age of 24 years, fatalities there may be way too low to alert watchers elsewhere.

Thymus gland involutes in humans, losing function from the 20's going forward. After 65-70, immunity falls off a cliff. So vaccination effects wear off exactly in the wrong place, the increasingly gullible elderly.

I shall be glad to be wrong this time. Fortunately, it is not easy to predict, making error larger.

That's a weekly report chart, so all data points are a week apart. But that is really obviously not the important thing!

(Waving frantically! )
The epidemiologists know, judging by their expostulations on Twitter. Gauteng province data vs other provinces gives a horrendous possible picture of the future -

Because it is much more infectious, and is now established as recombinant capable, it can mutate at an unprecedented rate in HIV populous southern Africa, who have intercurrent infection chronically with Lord knows what RNA viruses nobody else knows from exotic species exposure
, but because that population has a median age of 24 years, fatalities there may be way too low to alert watchers elsewhere.

Thymus gland involutes in humans, losing function from the 20's going forward. After 65-70, immunity falls off a cliff. So vaccination effects wear off exactly in the wrong place, the increasingly gullible elderly.

I shall be glad to be wrong this time. Fortunately, it is not easy to predict, making error larger.
I've also been looking at the daily reports:

If you scroll down you find ICU, daily admissions, current admissions etc. on daily basis. SA numbers drop during the weekend, but their positivity rate seems pretty solid. It's at 29% nationwide now. If you plot the daily positivity rate you clearly see when Omicron started showing up through the layer of Delta infections.

1639168237463.png

Log scale. T0 = nov 1. The delay from when infections started rising, until the hospital numbers did is roughly 2-3 weeks, but as you said the dates in these data slide somewhat.
Edit: The data in table
Date​
NICD daily report adm​
Oxygen​
Current admit​
ICU​
04-12-21​
110​
475​
3255​
283​
05-12-21​
28​
473​
3268​
278​
06-12-21​
175​
510​
3517​
308​
07-12-21​
383​
542​
3798​
354​
08-12-21​
374​
622​
4252​
374​
09-12-21​
453​
662​
4795​
398​

Last edited:
Latest things from the UK - they reckon the omicron infections are doubling every 2 days and will be the dominant strain by next week. It's a fast mover ...

Latest things from the UK - they reckon the omicron infections are doubling every 2 days and will be the dominant strain by next week. It's a fast mover ...
The Guardian has seen leaked advice from UKHSA for Javid marked “official, sensitive” saying: “The key point is that under a range of plausible scenarios, stringent action is needed on or before 18 December 2021 if doubling times stay at 2.5 days. Even if doubling times rise to around 5 days, stringent action is likely still needed in December.”

It adds: “The rapid spread of Omicron means that action to limit pressures on the health system might have to come earlier than intuition suggests.” Its calculations suggest that even if Omicron causes a less severe hospitalisation rate of 1% or 0.5% compared with Delta’s 1.5%, then “stringent national measures’” would be needed by 18 December at the latest.

"Sturgeon warned of a “potential tsunami” of Omicron infections as the new variant brings “the fastest exponential growth we have seen in this pandemic so far”.
The Scottish govt released an evidence paper https://www.gov.scot/publications/omicron-scotland-evidence-paper/

We've had up to 2000 cases recently, now suddenly 5000, and the projection graph based on that current 5000 cases (which WAS the upper end of worse case) is 15000 daily cases plus in 2 weeks. In a country with 5 million people.

The Scottish govt released an evidence paper https://www.gov.scot/publications/omicron-scotland-evidence-paper/

We've had up to 2000 cases recently, now suddenly 5000, and the projection graph based on that current 5000 cases (which WAS the upper end of worse case) is 15000 daily cases plus in 2 weeks. In a country with 5 million people.
Thanks for the data.

Had a poke through.
Because the Scottish scientists are using S-gene dropout to ID the variant, they are going to miss the Omicron Jr.
using S-gene target failure as a proxy for Omicron
It's possibly even worse than they are predicting, since there's no tracking of the other version.
But the work is very solid, better than anything we have put out in public here in Trinidad, and the quick use of the tech is commendable.

Don't have any feedback locally, except a statement that "we can test for it." which isn't even so much as "we are looking for it". The Central govt just lost control of Tobago in a snap election, and they have pulled back on unpopular measures for non-medical reasons. They are going to HAVE to react eventually.

27th Nov to 10th Dec is umm... 2 weeks. You saying it takes over from DELTA in 3 weeks?
No wonder all the epidemiologists are pooping bricks.

Hit the bakery, and loaded up on cakes, Gingerbread men, local specialties. That might be it for Christmas this year, but it's still going to be good, if we all survive.
I hope the rest of you good people are all prepped already, because we are likely going to be in bunkers soon.

Since everybody is likely to catch Omicron, we might well consider defensive measures that can upgrade survival chances. The ideal thing is to become younger. Is that possible?

In animal studies, removing senescent cells seems to mitigate the disease, and if done prior to vaccination, senolysis also upregulates the provoked immune reaction.
Medical senolytic drugs are in Phase 2 trials. They are not approved for safe use. Therefore, I can't reccomend them. Treatment is "hit and run" where meds are given for a day or two, and repeated again much later. Optimum regimens for humans are not yet determined.

However, there are commonly available supplements that can do senolysis. Procyanidin is found in grapeseed extract, for instance, and it's quite cheap. Also categorised as GRAS, or "generally recognised as safe". At low doses, grapeseed extract suppresses the secretions from senescent cells. At high doses it wipes them out better and with fewer exceptions and practically zero toxicity compared to synthetic drugs.

Antibiotics can cause senolysis, such as Minocin and Zithromax. So can Digoxin, a very old heart medication. All of those have long track records with well established safe dosages. They could theoretically be combined, but we have no human trial data.

They showed that human senescent cells have an amplified response to the SARS-CoV-2 Spike (S) protein, provoking increased production of factors causing inflammation and tissue damage by senescent cells.

They also found that older mice infected with viruses, including a coronavirus related to SARS-CoV-2, showed an amplified reaction, with increased senescent cells, inflammation and nearly 100 percent mortality. When the researchers treated similar mice – before or after the infection – with senolytics, drugs that selectively remove senescent cells from the body, the result was the opposite. Antiviral antibodies increased, while signs of inflammation and senescent cells significantly decreased along with mortality, so survival of the old, infected mice became more like that of younger mice.

It's very unlikely that using grapeseed extract would cause any harm. And it might potentially help. Most of this work was done at Mayo Clinic, USA.

There are additional biochemical features that are very favorable.
  • inhibits CD38, preserving NAD levels from breakdown
  • upregulates expression of NAMPT enzyme, resynthesizing more NAD
Reference:
Natural dietary polyphenols and specifically proanthocyanidins (PACs), the most structurally complex subclass of flavonoids, are bioactive food compounds that are primarily present in fruits and vegetables and exhibit many protective effects against cardiovascular disease1. In this context, our group and others have reported many healthy and beneficial effects of PACs on different metabolic syndrome-related pathologies, such as insulin resistance, dyslipidemia, obesity, hypertension and inflammation

Sorry, the x-axis is days, starting with February 8th. 2021

Remember, this is a pandemic, which means global. It's not good. On the other hand, one could hope that the global population immunity will rise considerably over the next month. We still cannot see how deadly this thing is, but if it's equal to Delta, then this is potentially very bad for a couple of months, and then herd immunity should become strong enough to stabilize it, for a considerable future. It's scary, but it's not the end of the World. Our biggest problem will be keeping society up and running, because a large part of the population will be ill at the peak, depending on booster shot percentage etc.

Take care out there. I wish my VR spaceship was a real spaceship. Then I'd leave the planet for a couple of months. :alien:

The step son of the UK's only omicron death so far just rang LBC radio station and said his step father was an anti-vaxxer who refused the jab as he thought covid is a conspiracy.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom