The FFED3DAJ Thread

Ok. You mentioned 3rd party software to unpack these files. Where will I find those. Also, that sounds like a lot of downloading and messing with core files. I may need to break this down at a later time. Thanks for your help. I’ll be in touch

"Third party" :) if 7zip is third party (of course it is but i assume every Johanna and Henry uses it).
The rest is "FFED3D party" which is a rather a loose Family.

7zip is to find here
and pardon me i don't like to be offending but it's really on everybody's machine or it should be.
It has a couple of advantages over .zip apart from a slightly higher compression, .zip is almost like a simple folder every bot can browse through it easy.
(just as easy as Windows or any OS can search for a file or even for a given string in a file residing in a .zip. An practical example; if i upload a zip in my cloud anyone can inspect the content even if he has only the rights to view the file, not so for a 7zip, here the cloud will argue that it cam't open it to inspect the content).
While of course it won't be total safe without encrypting but even in this it is out raking, it can even encrypt the header so it won't be possible to see only the file structure in it.
The software 7zip also can open images like ISO images or other disk images and handles every common compression format which exists.
I don't have to advertise for it, but with 7zip you won't need any else software to handle compressed folders and many images.
The possibility to inspect and extract a disk image without to mount it is a big advantage if you guess.
But read what they say about their program:
and perhaps this:

Personally i use 7zip almost since i use IBM PC's (i was a long time Amiga user up to 1998, 7zip was first published in 2000, but i really guess i use it exactly since then).
And in my personal opinion it belongs on every computer (so much that i ask myself how to live without it, at least i can't imagine it).
It is the first software i install after setting up a new OS because how else can i open all the 7zip compressed stuff i like to have.
You can also inspect and extract some installers, in other terms in certain cases you can extract from such an installer exactly and only a single file.

In short terms: 7zip is the swiss army knife of compression/decompression utilities, it just can't make coffee or cook pancakes (unfortunately).

One of the few drawbacks is that it has no error protection (which is almost obsolete since we don't use magnetic storage like floppies anymore) and based on my experience it can corrupt a file, but this happened to me only with pcm wave files (which didn't makes much sense FLAC offers a higher compression ratio for audio so it's at hand to use FLAC and store it in a uncompressed .zip archive, or alternatively store it in a .zip or .tar and compress the stream with 7zip if you need to compress a .wav at all i.e. to stream it to/from the web). It won't be the choice to exchange projects since it can fail in reproducing the file structure (honestly this never happened to me, but only the slightest possibility could mean a big loss of work here) that's why such is usually a simple .zip or a tarball. Due to the missing error protection it can't recover damaged data.

Last edited:
Ok. You mentioned 3rd party software to unpack these files. Where will I find those. Also, that sounds like a lot of downloading and messing with core files. I may need to break this down at a later time. Thanks for your help. I’ll be in touch
Such is life when you start trying mods and homegrown software I'm afraid. Time to roll up your sleeves and get your hands dirty!
Honestly, though, it sounds a lot worse than it is - yes there's quite a few files to download, but you can ignore half of them if you wanted to. If you're not used to unpacking archives, well you soon will be! And once you've done the main one, the others only take a few seconds each... honest!

I must admit, I thought that the first post did have links to 7zip and WinRAR, but maybe they've been lost over the years and forum migrations and edits! (sorry)
7zip is available for the most excellent price of "free" ... so that's probably the one for you to go for!
(And I must admit, the only place I've ever come across the .7z format for an archive is for the base packs at the SSC forum)

Bear in mind that this is not a commercial project and it's one that's evolved over many years - I've been building FFED3DAJ for some 6+ years now (oof, that long?) with many iterative releases over that time. I believe that the FFED3D project ran for a similar length of time before that, and so over all these years there have been many collaborators creating models and graphics to add - most recently nanite2000 & Gernot. The files I've listed provide the best starting point - but there's been further progress since these were created! Gernot has created new models since the last full release and more during the last few beta builds, and I'm sure there'll be more additions in the future!

Don't be put off though. And if you do get stuck or are unsure, just post a Question and I'm sure someone will get you going!

Ah, Steve life isn't soon and not even trademarked.
But somehow i understand we neither get younger.

At least i'm back and that's a little promising, no?
I mean probably we will get this finished before we assimilate with the great spirit.
Me i would have plenty of time but use most of it up for social contacts in RL and i'm unfortunately often stroked by life.
(by social contacts i mean a lot of beer)
So the fact that i lost some of my projects for FFED3D with the loss of my former Laptop, yeah i'm stupid i know backup drives and they are even cheap today.
Fortunately my social contacts come to pay off in the near future, the very young friend i have of which everybody thought "he's just lazy" starts to work for a computer refurbisher, it's just he never wanted to do anything else i always knew he's alright.
This will turn in near future for a this or that for me.
He respects me much for the fact that i always trusted and supported him in his choice, claims "Gernot you was born before the big bang".
And he's clever, see i had a broken external HD and a lot of old drives lurk around of which i could make use of this and that tidbit on them.
Old projects, a lot of artwork.
"Gernot why don't you check the broken drive if the supply and controller still works"
"nah it's broken i told you"
"let me porous it - look it still works and fits super"
And i felt very very old...
Over the years i lost interest to fiddle around with hardware i like to use the machine, but to him it's still a challenge.
Likewise it is a challenge to him to play "Tag along Todd" which is in fact a simple demo for Intelli-Joe's SDK-1600.
It's a simple catch game and Joe himself underrates it much i always liked it because of the simplicity, the story is simple you have to clean your backyard and Todd your friend always hinders you and forces you to play an Intellivision game with him (latter was added by another dev), it's extremely simple and fast paced but exactly that's the thing. It's also a plus that it makes use of the Intellivoice which was gifted to me last year.
And i was beamed back to the '80s and the two millenials as well - "give me that controller i will show you!"
This uttered from two who claimed never to play such an old tard, well well.

The thing is it isn't easy to get rid of Todd he sticks on you like glued, time is limited so either time runs out which is to see as a sort of victory or Todd will catch you which happened to them mostly, you get rewarded with a single point for every garbage can and with each level the backyard gets tighter. Usually and that's so lovely human, when the voice starts to count down the last ten seconds you will get nervous and Todd catches you "Let's play FFED3D" sorry "Let's play Soccer". Right now i would like to hear how this machine pronounces "FFED3D" without to be specially programmed for this "word". Some registers are hardware, numbers,sillables and simple words like "hello", it can speak "Tag along Todd" or "Soccer" or "Hockey" with a true robotic sound but the rest had to be pre-recorded and then transformed into a voice synthesis language. From todays pov a clumsy procedure but in early '80s it was high-tech from GI, never it was intended for a console but i guess it was the sole commercial use of the chip, software driven voice synthesis made it soon obsolete. Very freaky i find that they engaged a couple of comedians to record the voices. It was not a big success for Mattel, not what they expected, to late to less games and whatever, due to this fact i have a cib "brand new" Intellivoice which still lurked around in a storage for a long time until one dude bought them all up. Two in fact because the first was broken but he immediatly sendet me a replacement. Means it was really brand new he never opened the boxes so he won't know if they work. For such collectors it's more important that it is CIB as that it works, it will be shrinkwrapped anyway. I'm the opposite to this dudes i use my stuff up until it's dead and they had a big laugh when i told them that i smashed my first Inty against the wall because of rotten "Bump 'n Jump"
"Space C*nt" has it's roots even in the way how the Intellivoice pronounces "can't"
But i don't know if i told this here ever, there nearly existed a game which i would have loved fanatically "Space Shuttle" it's quite similar to what atari released later - better and with voice support. This would have been a dream come true to me, i still like this unfinished half broken game

I had a dream it it was "Elite" in a farther sense, i dreamed of an open world space game in 1983.
Which combines 3D space shooting (in my imagination a la "Star Strike" no real 3D just sprite based faking of) with tactical and role playing elements, i've read that we will have something like the internet in the future and i couldn't stop dreaming even when my dream was in blocky graphics and 16 colors

I missed Elite, mostly because of my "religious feelings" which kept me away from gaming and computers for a little while and the time after was a little confused i had to reinvent myself for the first time, but fortunately i didn't missed Frontier

Ah, Steve life isn't soon and not even trademarked.
But somehow i understand we neither get younger.
Wise words Gernot. The key is to maintain a young attitude to life.
When Andy hints at a new build of FFED3D I can't help but get excited!
At least i'm back and that's a little promising, no?
I mean probably we will get this finished before we assimilate with the great spirit.
Yeah, and hopefully you'll get back the models you lost :D

Steve, some i guess, the damage isn't that big what is made is made i lost probably some blender projects foremost some texture work i guess, probably not i have to see what's on my old HDs. It's a fortune that i didn't worked that much for FFED3D last year, for Phoenix i lost nothing because release and project are still the same since i didn't worked on the code yet. That's an advantage of scripts, release and project are identical i can download what i released and start to work on it. Time is right for this it starts to get cold outdoors.
If i lost something then it will be a blender project for a model i already released, sure i would have to start the project again if i like to change something but it's not a big loss which i expect or not that big as i first expected. Let's say a disadvantage, the only real disadvantage of direct x meshes the animations can't be resolved it's not portable. It's possible to load a x mesh but usually you lose all animations and have to set them up new, you are lucky if not every tidbit is somewhere in cookamongo.
The most time consuming is that i like to arrange my MAME and other emulation software folders since i like to run the games from a nice icon so you won't see that it's an emulated machine. That's more work as to create a model or needs much more time, but it's a pure fun project and has no priority.
That is like my recent or since a year ongoing special interest for DOSBox, sure i use it since long but here i like even if useless to select between video and sound modes from an intro screen, in the end you will use only one but it's fun to me to create it and challenging sometimes to find a solution for a certain problem.
"can i import this altered track into the original game?"
And i learned again a lot of things that's good for mind fitness.

When Andy hints at a new build of FFED3D I can't help but get excited!
I don't do hints sunshine.

Btw, Anyone having issues with SpaceSimCentral right now - the forum is in a state of flux following a site upgrade. If you get a security warning, it's probably trying to load a URL that starts "https" - just edit it to "http" and reload until it gets fixed. The "File Terminal" for downloads should now be fixed for registered users. (I updated the first post slightly to account for the SSC site changes)

Aha! I got the wrong thread there. I posted on the wrong one. Can I ask, is it possible for the retro version and your version to both be playable on my pc? Also, will I need any emulators, even for the “base installation”. I ha e the BeebEm one that came with the Elite 1984 from the frontier store.

Last edited:
Hi Quackymol.

You can play the original "Frontier: First Encounters" with an emulator such as DOSBox.
The shareware version of FFE is available via the internet archive here: https://web.archive.org/web/20010804223830/http://www.eliteclub.co.uk/download/ (Frontier Development's original "Elite Club" website is long lost to history)
Steve has a page dedicated to FFE/DOSBox on his FrontierAstro site here: https://www.frontierastro.co.uk/DosBox/DOSBoxFFE.html
It's not "on topic" to discuss the original here though, I'd ask that you start a new thread in the "Games by Frontier Developments" forum with the Elite/Frontier tag if you want to discuss it further. (https://forums.frontier.co.uk/forums/frontier-games/?prefix_id[0]=1)

My build is a native Windows executable that doesn't require any emulators. It continued the abandoned FFED3D project, which is why I didn't replicate a 'complete' download just the files required to update existing installations. (which at the time I began, back in 2013, most people here already had!)
The Space Sim Central website should be working now if you had trouble getting the files before. Please read post #1 in this thread for instructions, or at SSC here: http://spacesimcentral.com/community/ffed3d/the-ffed3daj-thread/.

Hot off the press... a new beta build, v1.16 beta 1 has been uploaded here. (VirusTotal report here)
This beta must be added over an existing setup that is running FFED3DAJ v1.11 or higher.

This build contains a new configuration application ffed3daj_config.exe to help users set up their preferences and controls without having to manually edit the ffed3daj.cfg file.
cNleQbPl.png

(requires .Net 4.x on Windows 7)

Existing players with previous beta builds, please be aware that there has been a change to the binding of dev scripts to keys.
Previously, they were defined at the end of the Keyboard mappings section, against pairs of keys in the format "script_key1=" and "script_cmd1=".
These are now stored in their own [SCRIPTS] section with a primary key named "script1=" which has the filename assigned against it (without ! prefix or .txt extension) and a second entry "script1_key=" which can optionally have a keyboard key name assigned to it.
To convert existing entries in the keyboard mappings prior to running the configuration application, edit the .cfg file and insert the line "[SCRIPTS]" before them and rename the entries as appropriate.
A list of scripts can added in this section, and these are now assigned to Joystick (and also Mouse) buttons by specifying the name of the entry, e.g. "script5" rather than the filename.

Changes
Code:
2019-10-23 - Version 1.16 beta 1:
+ Enhanced suns: FFE's 3D suns are now supported and replace the 2D versions by default. Enabled 
  with the .cfg value "draw3DSuns=1", set to 0 to disable and draw the 2D bitmap suns instead.
+ 2D versions are now drawn to emulate FFE's non-spherical stars with the .cfg setting
  "drawNonSpherical2DSuns=1" as the new default. Set to 0 to display all stars as spheres again.
+ Added new texture file values to permit 3D sun surface and corona textures to be customised.
+ Time variable for shader animations is now updated in line with game time to reflect a paused state or
  accelerated stardreamer settings.
+ Added a keyboard BINDS option for the wingman_menu key and added a fix so that it will now work when
  keyboard remapping is enabled.
+ Special CTRL keys functionality can now be remapped, e.g. screenshot, fullscreen/window toggle.
+ Dev console has improved descriptions for orbital objects (stars, planets, spacestations) and 
  planetary starports when displayed with the 'list' and 'info' commands.
+ Fuel scoop, ECM and Scanner models can have their positions tweaked via the tris.ini belonging to
  Ships/stations that are rendered as .X models. A further setting makes it possible to enable animations
  on these equipment items.
+ Dev console / scripts can interrogate and/or set the majority of the .cfg file settings values.
  e.g. "draw3dsuns 0" would disable the new feature to  draw suns as 3D objects.
  The settings names are not case-sensitive. Directories, Translation Language, Control bindings,
  Joystick configuration and Screen setup values are read-only and can not be updated at this time.
+ Dev console/script commands that can output value/string variables also support the .cfg variables
  and some internal code variables.
+ Dev console/script commands nav, att and select can clear their current object value by setting to 0. 
+ Dev console/script commands can reference 'nav' and 'att' as object id's to use their current value.
+ Internal refactor of .cfg file processing to build up the list of settings for the developers console
  with name, data type and callable functions to handle value validation/update at start-up and via input.
+ Automatic and Bind Scripts are cached at start-up and script errors will prevent repeated execution
  until corrected. Updating a script file will cause it to be reloaded into the cache.
+ New auto script "_auto_OnRender" which triggers before each frame is rendered.
+ Bug fix: Water textures became lost to the planet shader if they were cached on the video card 
  and textures were reloaded, resulting in black texturing. (issue introduced in v1.15 beta1)
+ Fix to prevent the 3D text "DAVID BRABEN'S" being briefly displayed when the intro demo repeats.
+ The blue explosion stars in the intro sequence were glitching again. They are now displayed in 2 of 3
  segments: where the Police Viper MKIIs and the Turner class ship are destroyed.
+ Patch correction:
  + The "DisableEnginesOffCombatVelocityFudge" and "DisableAICombatVelocityFudge" settings were not
    being used in the Anisotropic and Hellmod builds following a change in 1.15 beta1.

+ .cfg variable changes:
  + "forceEngineSound" has been moved from the PATCHES section to GAME_SETTINGS.
  + Joystick section: The "enabled" value is now renamed to "enableJoystick". 
    The legacy value will still be read from old .cfg files until replaced.

+ .cfg file change:
  + New section [SCRIPTS] to define all bindable script filenames and an optional key assignment.
  + Keyboard, Joystick button and Mouse button script binds now use a SCRIPTx identifier value from the
    [SCRIPTS] section instead of a filename.
  + New section [CTRL_BINDS] to define special CTRL key assignments. These include screenshot, quit
    game and toggle screen-mode as well as several developer options.

+ A new configuration application "FFED3DAJ_Config.exe" is included to edit the .cfg file. 
  This can define:
  Display modes. FFE Game settings and Language. Graphics and effects values. 
  Model settings and caching. Keyboard, mouse and joystick bindings and values. 
  Game Directories. Optional Gameplay fixes and patches.

The Tooltip help for the various options is defined in the file ffed3daj_config.ini, located within
  the Translations\EN directory. If the selected game language is not "EN" then the application will
  check for definitions within the appropriate Translations subdirectory. This allows for translated
  tooltips to be added in future.

(Windows XP/7 PCs may require .Net 4.x runtimes to be installed.)

I'm just having a very quick play around with this, while I have some spare time. It's all looking amazing so far and the configuration editor works a treat.

One quick point though: I set Maximum FPS to 100 on the Patches tag, but the most I get when pressing "F" in-game is 49. In version 1.15 it was giving much higher values when docked indoors and in sparse regions of space. Admittedly I haven't transferred all the parameters from my old config file to the new setup, so something else may have changed, but it looks a bit suspcious that the fps stubbornly refuses to go past 49 anywhere 🤨

Well that one obviously has you stumped so I'll throw in another issue :ROFLMAO:

Irrespective of whether SinglePlayAllServicesVideos=0 or SinglePlayAllServicesVideos=1 the videos repeat. The config program seems to be updating the .cfg file ok but the program ignores it. If I tick the checkbox in the config program, save, exit and then re-load the prgram, the checkbox is un-ticked again :oops:

Last edited:
Great!

Erm, Steve could it be FFED3D resides on your system in "Programs x86"?
Because this folder is only accessible for writing in Win7 and Win10 if you start the program with administrator rights.
If that is the case move the whole stuff simply to C:\ and you will get rid of that.

CONFIRMED!

i tested it quickly with the new release and the configurator, works fine from my chosen install "C:\games\FFED3D" fails if i move "FFED3D" to "programs x86".
Or of course works even if you start the configurator with administrator rights.

And yes i hate that to!

Last edited:
Hi Gernot,
The program is in a sub folder of the C drive, so that should be ok.

It's the only setting I've found in the configuration program that won't "stick". It just keeps resetting itself and the videos in the game repeat, no matter what I do 😫

Top Bottom