The FFED3DAJ Thread

Welcome Commander!

So what is this FFED3DAJ thing then & how to install it?

First of all, FFED3DAJ is not a stand-alone game that will run 'out of the box' - it's a continuation of the FFED3D project and aims to stabilize it, fix the outstanding issues and to add further enhancements. The aim of FFED3D was to update JJFFE for "modern" (2008+) PCs and add 3D models and effects using DirectX9. Before that, JJFFE updated the original FFE to be playable on Windows 95 systems.

So - FFED3DAJ requires the texture/model assets of FFED3D to be playable. If you are starting out from scratch then you will first need to download and install a base pack. There is the choice of the smaller, standard FFED3D beta1.12++ package or Ittiz's beta3 package which is significantly larger but it includes all of the up to date models as well as those infamous videos!

The original FFED3D beta1.12++ is available here at Elite-Games.ru: full beta. Registration is required to post to the forum and download files, but is free to join.
It is a Russian language site, and the home of the original FFED3D project started by DreamZzz. Chrome users should be able to automatically translate the site and register with / navigate it.

Alternatively, SpaceSimCentral.com (SSC) hosts a choice of two updated packages:

FFED3D_Complete.7z contains the beta1.12++ plus later models and textures.
FFED3D-beta3-Ittiz.7z contains Ittiz's beta3 pack. Recommended as the base pack to install over.

Again, registration is required to post to the SSC forums and download files, but it is free to join. Downloads are via the "Download Terminal", a web-based file-manager, and located within the main folder "#-F", then "FFED3D". There is a general FFED3D discussion sub-forum here. (Note: Site is currently undergoing an update, expect issues)

If you grab either of these two base packages from SSC, then be forewarned they are archived using 7zip (.7z) which is open-source, freeware.
(Owners of WinRAR can also open this format since around version 4.2).

Tip: If you are using either of the FFED3D beta1.12++ packs rather than Ittiz's, then I would recommend running the JSGME application that's found within the root FFED3D folder. This can enable / switch between a number of enhanced/replacement models and textures that are not normally active.

Both sites also have active community/forum boards, so perhaps stay a while and say hello/thanks when you download, see what other goodies they may have to offer and join in with some discussions!

Adding the FFED3DAJ patch

The Russian Elite-Games site has a specific FFED3DAJ discussion thread on its forum with downloads here.

There used to be a SpaceSimCentral downloads page with installation instructions and updated files with each new build, but sadly this is no longer available.
The individual patch files can be found in the same download location as FFED3D via the Download Terminal file manager, Folder '#-F' \ 'FFED3D'.

The distribution of FFED3DAJ is split into 3 .zip files:

FFED3DAJ_v1.11.zip contains the new patch .exe files. (required)
FFED3DAJ_v1.11_CoreFiles.zip contains a set of updated or new core textures and other supporting files. (required)
FFED3DAJ_v1.01_ExampleSkins.zip is an optional install and contains some examples of multiple-textures on ships as well as a custom shader that colorizes the cargo canisters for variety.

The patch is split like this to save bandwidth for the hosting sites. Once an initial install has been completed, it's typically just the primary "patch" zip file that gets updated between builds. These files should be unzipped into your FFED3D folder, straight over the top of the base installation.

There's a readme file included in the patch .zip "FFED3DAJ_readme.txt" that hopefully explains a lot of the various configuration settings, so please do take a look at that and then edit your ffed3daj.cfg to suit your own requirements / preference!

The current release version is v1.11. [Release notes & Changes]

Latest Beta Build

There is also a work-in-progress beta build which is currently
v1.17beta4. (see post #510)
Previous beta builds : v1.17beta3. (see post #500), v1.17beta2 (see post #469) & v1.17beta1 (see post #463)

Note: beta builds do not contain a complete set of required files for this patch - First time users must add the beta file over a full setup that has had the latest release of FFED3DAJ applied to it. (patch & core files)

As always, a very big thanks to Steve of FrontierAstro for all of the time that he's spent over the years, testing the never-ending beta builds and for feeding back both bugs and suggestions to help get the version to where it's at today. (And also for supplying a few of the new loading-screen 'hints'!)

Recommended Texture Add-on packs

To get the best visuals from the latest builds of FFED3DAJ, I recommend that you add the following texture packs by nanite2000.
These were created in collaboration and to accompany the release of v1.10a. They will continue to be compatible with future versions.

From SpaceSimCentral: (Via Download Terminal, Folder '#-F' \ 'FFED3D'), or from this post at Elite-Games.Ru: http://www.elite-games.ru/conference/viewtopic.php?p=3171500#3171500

nanite2000_Planet_Surfaces_v1.8.zip For enhanced planet surface textures and atmospheres. (Gallery)
nanite2000_Metal_Textures_v1.3.zip for enhanced metal surfaces on FFE's original ship and space-station models. (Gallery)
nanite2000_Planet_Icons_v1.1.zip for an updated set of graphics for the system information views. (Gallery)
nanite2000_Cockpit_Graphics_v1.0.zip for updated cockpit icons and buttons. (Gallery)

Please do post in this thread if any help is required or to leave any feedback! :)

Cheers, AndyJ

Screenshots

v1.09b:

v1.10:

v1.17 beta1 upscaled bitmap mode:
screen_200712_222603.jpg
screen_200712_215046.jpg

YouTube Videos

Donik
has recorded the intro using the v1.10a build and nanite2000's textures pack. (post)
Source: https://youtu.be/bXtqi4C5Rx4

And pettytyrant101 has posted this little vid for your viewing pleasure:
"FFED3DAJ- Elite Frontier: First Encounters- see the galaxy for less than 3 Altarian dollars a day!"
Source: https://youtu.be/9ToRefwqPpE

Version History: View attachment FFED3DAJ_versions.txt (v1.11)

Last edited:
Hey AndyJ!

I got round to trying v1.08 last night. It's looking great!

The only problem I've found so far is that I can't get PLS playlists to work. I've put a playlist called 'battle.pls' in my 'Music\custom\battle' folder that looks like the following:

Code:
[PlayList]
File1=D:\Music\Music\Breaks\Unsorted Breaks\UNKLE - Eye For An Eye (Force Mass Motion Vs. Dylan Rhymes Remix).mp3
File2=D:\Music\Music\Breaks\Unsorted Breaks\2010\Access Denied & BSD - Publicity.mp3
File3=D:\Music\Music\Breaks\Unsorted Breaks\2010\Vandal - Lose It.mp3
NumberOfEntries=3

But none of these tracks play when I enter a battle. If I copy the physical MP3's to the same folder, then they play fine, so it looks like it's just the PLS file that's not being read properly.

Do I need to change a config option somewhere to enable it?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi nanite2000

The playlist in each folder needs to be named "playlist.pls" for it to be loaded. A small detail that I missed mentioning in the readme - Sorry about that!!! :eek:

I had time for a little more testing today and realised that combat music has the same issue that I'd had to address for docking music - i.e. if you load a game in, it doesn't play it. meh!
Anyway I was able to track down where the battle light is switched on, and from there identify a flag that's set when ships are closing in on you. This flag gets cleared at the end of a battle, so where that happens I can also hook it and provide an option to either immediately cease the custom combat music or leave it play until the end of the track.
Couple of things to code, and I'm not going to have time to give it any serious testing, so once it's built I'll upload it as a 'test' build and you can give it a go while I'm away :)

Hi nanite2000

The playlist in each folder needs to be named "playlist.pls" for it to be loaded. A small detail that I missed mentioning in the readme - Sorry about that!!! :eek:
Sweet! That fixed it. Thanks!

I had time for a little more testing today and realised that combat music has the same issue that I'd had to address for docking music - i.e. if you load a game in, it doesn't play it. meh!
Anyway I was able to track down where the battle light is switched on, and from there identify a flag that's set when ships are closing in on you. This flag gets cleared at the end of a battle, so where that happens I can also hook it and provide an option to either immediately cease the custom combat music or leave it play until the end of the track.
Couple of things to code, and I'm not going to have time to give it any serious testing, so once it's built I'll upload it as a 'test' build and you can give it a go while I'm away :)

OK, great! I've not been able to replicate the issue you describe above, but I'm happy to try out a test version, if only to make sure it's as solid as the previous release.

I'm afraid I didn't get time in the end to finish up & chuck out the test build, it looks like the flag gets reset every frame so the new hook I'd added didn't pan out quite as hoped! It'll be solvable I'm sure, but will have to wait now 'til I get back.
Glad you've got the playlists working in the meantime anyway :)

Sir.Tj

The Moderator who shall not be Blamed....
Volunteer Moderator
I've added this thread to the index stuck at the top of the page. :D

The graphic for blue supergiant stars eg. Hadar (-6,-40) doesn't appear on the system screen.

Here's how it looks in glffe...

bsg1.jpg

...and here's the same screen in FFED3DAJ v1.08

bsg2.jpg

To be fair, it doesn't seem to work in any version of FFED3D, although the texture is present in the directory (tex39).

Oh, and the same problem is present for other supergiant stars as well eg Antares (-39,-34) ;) although other stars appear ok.

Last edited:
The size of the one in the Ittiz build is 385x1815, and that is the one that appears to be not showing.

The default FFED3D tex39.png is 32x165 (and looks like the one in that top screenshot, so is probably the same).

In VampireDuCosmos Stars_Planets_Textures mod that file is 320x1650.

So maybe there is an upper limit that the screen can display at for these?

Edit: A quick test with various versions (FFED3D, Ittiz, AndyJ) and even swapping that tex39.png for the various different versions did not make it appear in any version. So looks like a general FFED3D bug, rather than an AndyJ one.

Last edited:
Yeah, the version I was using was 32 x 165 so it seems like the program isn't referencing tex38 or tex39 when it generates the system screen. Hopefully AndyJ will have a look at it when he gets back from his holiday :)

Yeah, the version I was using was 32 x 165 so it seems like the program isn't referencing tex38 or tex39 when it generates the system screen. Hopefully AndyJ will have a look at it when he gets back from his holiday :)
Same problem here. This has always been a problem with FFED3D if I remember correctly.

I think the program *is* referencing the texture, as there is a thin sliver of it appearing in the very top left hand corner of my screen. It is only one pixel high though, so maybe it's a positioning problem with the texture...?

Thanks for the heads up on that!

Yes, it's likely always been a fault in FFED3D. I took a quick look and its function to draw sprites includes a pointer to a set of values that define the attributes of the graphic, from which it gets the width & height. The data type for height was incorrectly defined as being signed, and so instead of holding the height value 165 it was -90 and that's why it wasn't appearing on screen. It was simple to fix, and a further search over at the JongWare site also revealed that the pointer matches the bitimage structure documented here.

I also realised that there was a really, really simple way to avoid the issue that I'd run into in making the battle music repeat or return to a random song. So that enhancement is also working as intended now, and as with the docking music tweak, it will now play the battle music immediately after loading in a save where you're engaged in combat, and repeat for the duration of the battle.
I've added a pair of new settings to enable/disable the tweaks that repeat battle/docking music just in case anyone doesn't actually want this behaviour.

Still a bit holiday weary and not intending to rush back into anything too heavy just yet!
I've dropped a quick v1.09 build out at the usual locations with the above changes - enjoy! :D

Welcome back Andy, hope you had a great holiday :smilie:

I've just downloaded v1.09 and it all looks good! Giant stars are displayed on the system page now, although the texture itself is a bit ropey. I'm sure some talented gfx artist could draw something better ;)

Yes thanks, had a great time stumbling around NYC to celebrate the other half's 40th and St. Patrick's ... I'm sure it's simply all the walking and nothing else that's left us both so broken LOL.

nanite2000 sent me some nice graphics the other week, perhaps he could be persuaded to share them as a pack - or I could upload them for him if he wished...

:eek: I've just had a report on the Russian forum that Avast is reporting ffed3daj.exe as having the "win32 evo-gen [susp]" virus.

I hope it's a false-positive as neither my Norton install or a newly setup Avast 2014 + defs flag it so with direct scans. However, running the exe files does then causes Avast to quarantine them.

I'm running a system wide scan anyway just to be double sure.
A heads-up anyway for other users...

I've rebuilt the .exe files and Avast! seems happier with them now. I'm sure it was a false positive so have uploaded a v1.09a the patch .zip so that other users won't run into the same issue.

Yes thanks, had a great time stumbling around NYC to celebrate the other half's 40th and St. Patrick's ... I'm sure it's simply all the walking and nothing else that's left us both so broken LOL.
Hah! Been there, done that. We stayed in a hotel overlooking Times Square, about 25 floors up. NYC really never sleeps :eek:

nanite2000 sent me some nice graphics the other week, perhaps he could be persuaded to share them as a pack - or I could upload them for him if he wished...
That'd be great!

:eek: I've just had a report on the Russian forum that Avast is reporting ffed3daj.exe as having the "win32 evo-gen [susp]" virus.

I hope it's a false-positive as neither my Norton install or a newly setup Avast 2014 + defs flag it so with direct scans. However, running the exe files does then causes Avast to quarantine them.

I'm running a system wide scan anyway just to be double sure.
A heads-up anyway for other users...
AVG 2014 doesn't have a problem with v1.09 so I'm also hoping it's a false positive. I used to use Avast but got fed up with it for a variety of reasons. AVG is A Very Good alternative :smilie:

I used to use Avast but got fed up with it for a variety of reasons.
Well it's free I suppose, does sound like it's prone to these sorts of issues though...

I've just been checking the previous builds' .zip files with the VirusTotal site following more feedback over on the Russian forum and the last two versions fail 1 of 50 packages: Antiy-AVL (which I've never heard of) which reports that v1.08/a and v1.09 have "Worm/Win32.NetSky", but the previous build zips are all clean.

On a hunch, I removed the bass.dll from a copy of the 1.08a zip as it had been updated and resubmitted that zip, and this was then fine with all 50 packages. So it seems that the updated bass.dll is triggering a false/positive against that file with Anity-AVL. Submitting the bass24.zip that I downloaded for the latest version already had a pre-existing scan with the same false/positive reported.

Did a little digging on the Bass forums and found [url=http://www.un4seen.com/forum/?topic=15328.0;hl=virus]this thread[/url] highlighting the same issue and the team had attached a new build of bass.dll to resolve the problem ... so ... I've included that and we're now up to v1.09b.

Oh well, sorry for the multiple releases but hopefully it will put any concerns to rest!

What was I saying something about not wanting to rush into anything heavy... :S

I have a two system set up, with a battery of Anti-virus/Malware scanners to check anything i get from the net.

I've only ever got a warning for part of the original FFED3D download from the russian site (which is a false positive). Never had an issue with any of your downloads AndyJ, and i use Avira as one of my scanners (+ Avast/AVG/Kapersky/SAS/Malwarebytes/Emsisoft and a few other tools). Probably a false positive.

That'd be great!
I've just messaged Ittiz to ask if he'd mind me including some original and slightly modified assets from his pack to my own set of graphics.

I don't know if he's still active on these boards any more though. Let's give it a week, and if I don't hear from him to say otherwise then I'll go ahead and do it. (Based on the principle that it's better to seek forgiveness than to ask permission!).

I also have some models (mostly buildings) that aren't included with the standard model pack which I've scrounged up from previous releases and the Russian site. Do you want me to include those as well? Or shall I make that a separate pack?

:D

I'd go for issuing a couple of distinct packs for your textures anyway to start with - e.g. the console icons, the planet info graphics and the planet textures, etc. This way it makes it easier for users to pick and choose what they want, rather than all - or - nothing, and if you want to update any of them in future then it makes it easier just to update a few files in an single pack.

You could set up a download page on SCC to host your textures, it's really easy to set up a description page, screen shots etc and then just to update individual packages on it. The Russian forum are really helpful too if you want to upload there as well, I can't speak Russian but those that understand English are happy to help.

Intrigued about the models - are these models anything missing from the final beta v1.12++ zips or alternative/older versions? e.g. the low poly starport, potsmokes' re-released courier/adder etc?

Last edited:
I'd go for issuing a couple of distinct packs for your textures anyway to start with - e.g. the console icons, the planet info graphics and the planet textures, etc. This way it makes it easier for pick and choose what they want, rather than all - or - nothing, and if you want to update any of them in future then it makes it easier just to update a few files in an single pack.
Sounds like a sensible approach. It'll take some time as my collection of graphics is a mashup of my own stuff and graphics supplied in other packs. I'll need to provide acknowledgements to the originators of some graphics, as soon as I remember where they came from! :D

Intrigued about the models - are these models anything missing from the final beta v1.12++ zips or alternative/older versions? e.g. the low poly starport, potsmokes' re-released courier/adder etc?
They're buildings that appeared as beta models on the Russian download site, but look fine in-game. There's a church, trees, some futuristic looking buildings. And yes, some alternative (i.e. improved!) models of ships from packs which are no longer available to download.

I'll need to do a model-by-model comparison of FFED3D_Complete.7z 1.1x and FFE D3D -=Full Pack=- v1.12b++ to see what I've got above the default packs.

I'll let you know how it goes...

Last edited:
Top Bottom