THE FORMIDINE RIFT MYSTERY (Part 4)

(OFF)

No, 'zephyrum' is the right Latinized form of the medieval North-Italian word 'zefiro', witch comes from the Arab 'safira' (='empty', it is the translation of the original Indian 'sunya', used for 'zero' -- what is the Venetian contracted form of 'zefiro', used word-wide today...)

The nominative and accusative of second declension singular neuter nouns have the same -um ending in Latin. Eg. gaudium, auspicium, servitium, auxilium. Also, neuter abstract nouns, names of groups and offices, and neuter foreign words usually have the same nominative and accusative. The word 'zephyrum' was made by Fibonacci himself, who wasn't under-educated in Latin. -- He may have played with the Greek word Zephyros as well, when he brought westward the concept of zero from the Middle-East.
(/OFF)

What he said! ;-)

I would say this is only part of the story and a new way to run a central storyline in multiplayer games. So on that, rep to FD and Drew for having a go.

I do think puzzles and tools to decipher should all be within game or at least have a resource page pointing to external tools and resources needed if going expect that wider working or it excludes many of the player base, but that's just my opinion.

But to try and write a game plot, build this in to the game and get players involved in driving it forward, they are braver than me, would have disappointed people no matter what they did and have made a good attempt at something new.

Room for improvement and lessons learned? Yes. But I can't knock them for trying, have enjoyed most of this and I'm looking forward to where it may go next so overall I'm happy with it.

With an Anaconda? Oh boy. No cracked planet. No weird stuff. No MYSTERY! For gods skes we see crashed anacondas every day. Cheap as cheap.

"Stars thin out..." You don't say.

I took a direct line from Farsight to the system. Currently 1,3k out and the plotter fails. Can make it, but have to plan carefully now for the next couple houndreds of Ly's. Question: How was this supposed to be possible prior to engineers? I only started in January, so i only know life after them. But seriously...

Drew I was wondering if you care share some of the "upgrades" this particular ship had gotten over the years. I know excluding any hint dropping, just curious was it a regular ship before? Was the audio always there? Just asking about this particular instance not probing for info. I'd hate for the work that went into this by the devs to be lost behind the salty veil.

With an Anaconda? Oh boy. No cracked planet. No weird stuff. No MYSTERY! For gods skes we see crashed anacondas every day. Cheap as cheap.

Didn't drew also say that if someone stumbled across it they wouldn't necessarily know it for anything special? A derelict Anaconda certainly fits that bill.

A lone player with no knowledge of the FRift mystery might just think it's another procgen poi and not think anything of it.

So... The Megaship was found on the far side of the Rift, and has been found to need a 35-40 (or more?) lightyear range to reach it. Which begs the question, how did Rebecca ever get there? Wasn't she in a Cobra MkIII, pre engineers...even with an a-rated fsd and fully lightened, it wouldn't have made it :/

"Stars thin out..." You don't say.

I took a direct line from Farsight to the system. Currently 1,3k out and the plotter fails. Can make it, but have to plan carefully now for the next couple houndreds of Ly's. Question: How was this supposed to be possible prior to engineers? I only started in January, so i only know life after them. But seriously...

Good luck mate!

I can't tell you how often we talked about among the CoR consuls and intel-team how we could prevent some Rifters anger when we discovered something and went public with it. We were always afraid about the possible reactions here, especially as some of you are good roleplayers too. Erimus always urged us to publicise as much as possible to keep the Rifters in the loop. Which we did, every single base that we found during the search 2 months ago was almost immediately posted here. But I can say another thing. CoR now has 240 members and a very active and clever intel-team that is more than able to decipher and decode riddles on their own. Some of those guys are incredible people that I am proud to have met. This time we absolutely wanted to be sure about the finding so we waited until the system had been checked. As (please be honest) you might also have done. Imagine you were the one that found Jaques. Would you have run to the forums and post about it or would you have checked it out first?
And if the press release was incorrectly worded I give you that. You are right, our fault, it has been corrected.
I sincerely hope that the CoR bashing will end after the 29th.
(Edit)
And I just want to add: the accusations of favouritism, snuggling and winning the lottery are false!

Eisen. You know me. I just found that it was a cheap shot at the end of the day. Discoverable since gamma? Rubbish. It wasn't.
Clues? Even for COR - You couldn't find them until Drew told you. The game mechanics prohibit that.
The end result? Thank god they produced something special for 2.3. Imagine coming across an Anaconda after all that time.
Sorry - Kudos to Drew for making it more exciting - but WHAT A WASTE. What a downer. 30 years and that's the FR? No thanks. How Dave could allow this to happen is beyond me. I am disgusted. Really, really disgusted.

It's not CoR...That people are miffed with. Its the method and the story.

So... The Megaship was found on the far side of the Rift, and has been found to need a 35-40 (or more?) lightyear range to reach it. Which begs the question, how did Rebecca ever get there? Wasn't she in a Cobra MkIII, pre engineers...even with an a-rated fsd and fully lightened, it wouldn't have made it :/

You only need that jump range to cross the Rift. You can go the long way round with much lower range.

I can't rep you again, so I'm only going to say - carry on and let the story continue!

I think in this case it should be "write on commander!" ;)

I hope he has some antisalt umbrella after 29th, because after 2.3 the game is in pretty bad shape when it comes to instances and open mode, the enourmous PvP event that is coming will get lots of salt, I'm sure, even if all of the issues are ironed out by then (don't think so). This is the only thing that makes me dubious, closing two years of searching and solving puzzles with PvP event, but so be it, I have ships and credits and guts, the only thing I lack is skill which got lost over time. I was to polish it before 29th, but hey! I need to see The Ship! :)

Last edited:
I too flew out to see said mega ship today - great stuff. I have met Drew on multiple occasions now, and as I have said previously in reviews and whatnot the whole parallel evolution of both the game and the books (and especially Premonition) I think is breaking new ground in entertainment ... with the interplay between the two. I for one am loving it.

I'm really looking forward to the 29th too - I can't wait to see how that goes.

Anyway, can't stop, got to go watch a new film ... Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.

Congrats to all the CMDR for all the efforts done!!

So, I supposed that the mystery about the DB-IB F(0) T-1319 SUM(10,7,5,3) is not resolved yet ¿?

I think in this case it should be "write on commander!" ;)

I hope he has some antisalt umbrella after 29th, because after 2.3 the game is in pretty bad shape when it comes to instances and open mode, the enourmous PvP event that is coming will get lots of salt, I'm sure, even if all of the issues are ironed out by then (don't think so). This is the only think that makes me dubious, closing two years of searching and solving puzzles with PvP event, but so be it, I have ships and credits and guts, the only thing I lack is skill which got lost over time. I was to polish it before 29th, but hey! I need to see The Ship! :)

Hasn't everybody and their dog already come out on Salome's side?
There's going to be a lot of disappointed PvPs come the 29th, I reckon ;)

Hmm nice find! Time to make my avatar and take a trip out there.

Funny thing is, upon checking my visited systems around SYREADIAE JX-F C0 it seems that i passed just above this system when i went on my Luna-tic grand tour of the Rift many months ago. PHA EAB JA-A D2 to be exact, i started going senile though..

But all in all great find!

Eisen. You know me. I just found that it was a cheap shot at the end of the day. Discoverable since gamma? Rubbish. It wasn't.
Clues? Even for COR - You couldn't find them until Drew told you. The game mechanics prohibit that.
The end result? Thank god they produced something special for 2.3. Imagine coming across an Anaconda after all that time.
Sorry - Kudos to Drew for making it more exciting - but WHAT A WASTE. What a downer. 30 years and that's the FR? No thanks. How Dave could allow this to happen is beyond me. I am disgusted. Really, really disgusted.

Ill add to that. People deserve a punchline. After so long a time. There is no reason to exclude that and not be able to continue on with the story.

ITS NOT BEEN SOLVED YET! Drew said the mega-ship and what not with its audologs is just a bonus. its not been solved yet. only a big part.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, here's a thought (possibly clutching at straws)

Phaethon's reach - he was reaching for the Sun => Sol (Federation)
Follow the path of souls => The end of the constallation Eridanus is Achenar (Empire)
Db-IB Fi(0) T-1319 basically could mean Lave (assuming it is a reference to David Braben & Ian Bell and Fi(0) means starting point of the game)

So something to do with the 3 main seats of power and whatever is going to be revealed is thier involvement in all the shenannigans?

The T-1319 possibly is linked in with the 3rd part (if that is 3300-1319 => 1984) but also maybe what if that is 1800-1319 => 481 (1800 being the time of the event) - not sure what this would refer to though.

For SUM(10,7,5,3) taking the Greek letters that is Kappa, eta, epsilon, gamma (which is geek backwards! XD). But these are also systems in the Eridanus constallation (Kappa Eridanis, Azha, Epsilon Eridani and Zaurak - according to the info in klumpozyte post on page #410 of this thread).

Ok, so still doesn't quite all fit together as a final single location but anyone have any more thoughts?

(\(\;;/)/)

Last edited:
Top Bottom