THE FORMIDINE RIFT MYSTERY (Part 4)

You know I can't answer that question. ;)

I have been at pains to say this mystery isn't 'a' POI. That's still true. That doesn't mean it doesn't contain POIs (because how else can players visit something/see it/learn?).

Some of those POIs have been upgraded overtime because the technology improved. Some additions have been made. I thought that was quite cool personally - lots of people put a lot of hard work into the Zurara for example.

Will you all be satisfied by the ultimate outcome? I'm guessing not after some of the comments today! I don't think I can satisfy you all.

This is a piece of in-game story when all is said and done. It has a finite set of resources available to it and only limited mechanics to allow players to affect and interact with it. Within those constraints I have improvised to the best of my ability. I do carefully observe how things are progressing. I'll admit could have done some things better. This is a learning experience for me too. I'll accept direct criticism when one of you has written a cohesive in-game MMO player influenced storyline, whilst writing a book and interacting with a busy dev team, working around bugs and issues and holding down a full-time job and a family. ;) We can compare notes - let me know when you're ready.

Some constraints are also forced upon me. The book must end at a point in time (I hated 'Lost' for that reason!) and all this is bound up in it. That may require some contrivances or nudges in certain directions.

Those of you who've met me know that I only have the best interests of the Elite Dangerous community at heart. If you haven't, I'll appeal to your judgement of character.

The event on the 29th may not work either. It's a risk, we all know that. But nobody ever achieved anything worthwhile by holding back and playing it safe.

Cheers,

Drew.

A good explanation Drew. I'm not really involved in it, but it's cool and I enjoyed watching the video of the Zurana, I'll definitely go there, and hopefully they'll leave it there as a POI for people to visit.

Ultimately this story will also expand the content available, and I expect we're about to see Tech II in Elite: Dangerous (Powerplay mods and Engineers are just meta on the current level). Expect the galaxy to get easier to travel, and I think we'll see ships like the Panther Clipper as well.

So this is great for the game.

Took the time to fly out there myself, a bit of a trek at just over 3 hrs from the bubble, but well worth it to experience it myself.

My own recording (4k/60fps) of the ship and logs (no where near the quality of shabooka's vid, but hey I'm not a YouTuber!)
[video=youtube_share;is8VmfNvoFA]https://youtu.be/is8VmfNvoFA[/video]

Bravo to Drew for writing a mystery into the game that has (and continues to) engross so many cmdrs. Just hearing the audio logs sent shivers down my spine (we need more voices in Elite!!).. the best part, it ain't over yet.. roll on the 29th :)

what's happened, in my humble, is we've (the royal we) found a big bit of evidence. But we still don't know the who, and we're very sketchy on the how and why still. For me, the narrative mystery has always been the thing, and a lot of that still remains.

I can't tell you how often we talked about among the CoR consuls and intel-team how we could prevent some Rifters anger when we discovered something and went public with it. We were always afraid about the possible reactions here, especially as some of you are good roleplayers too. Erimus always urged us to publicise as much as possible to keep the Rifters in the loop. Which we did, every single base that we found during the search 2 months ago was almost immediately posted here. But I can say another thing. CoR now has 240 members and a very active and clever intel-team that is more than able to decipher and decode riddles on their own. Some of those guys are incredible people that I am proud to have met. This time we absolutely wanted to be sure about the finding so we waited until the system had been checked. As (please be honest) you might also have done. Imagine you were the one that found Jaques. Would you have run to the forums and post about it or would you have checked it out first?
And if the press release was incorrectly worded I give you that. You are right, our fault, it has been corrected.
I sincerely hope that the CoR bashing will end after the 29th.
(Edit)
And I just want to add: the accusations of favouritism, snuggling and winning the lottery are false!

Never an accusation of favouritism here, you keep on top and do the work, including the background study for that so I've no issue there.

But if I had worked out a theory for where Jacques, this or anything else was, yes I would share. I have no interest in the fame, keeping it to myself or claiming credit. Every hunt is always a group.

All it would have taken to keep me silent was 2 things and a third to be happy.

Your press release should have acknowledged the help of all other commanders who contributed the information that helped you unravel the final key and acknowledged that without their help it would never have happened. There are a couple on here who could have been named (and again not me) and some from other areas. That would have kept me silent.

Sharing ideas before checking would have kept me happy, after all it's others sharing that got you to the point of making the final step.

But no, so whoever wrote your press release needs talking to.

As for CoR bashing, in real life, carry on. In game you have confirmed reasons to mistrust you and that leaves you with a hole to climb out of for HQ and I can't see you bothering to try, so piñata time it may well be for a while.

I have been at pains to say this mystery isn't 'a' POI. That's still true. That doesn't mean it doesn't contain POIs (because how else can players visit something/see it/learn?).

Some of those POIs have been upgraded overtime because the technology improved. Some additions have been made. I thought that was quite cool personally - lots of people put a lot of hard work into the Zurara for example.

Will you all be satisfied by the ultimate outcome? I'm guessing not after some of the comments today! I don't think I can satisfy you all.

This is a piece of in-game story when all is said and done. It has a finite set of resources available to it and only limited mechanics to allow players to affect and interact with it. Within those constraints I have improvised to the best of my ability. I do carefully observe how things are progressing. I'll admit could have done some things better. This is a learning experience for me too. I'll accept direct criticism when one of you has written a cohesive in-game MMO player influenced storyline, whilst writing a book and interacting with a busy dev team, working around bugs and issues and holding down a full-time job and a family. ;) We can compare notes - let me know when you're ready.

Some constraints are also forced upon me. The book must end at a point in time (I hated 'Lost' for that reason!) and all this is bound up in it. That may require some contrivances or nudges in certain directions.

Those of you who've met me know that I only have the best interests of the Elite Dangerous community at heart. If you haven't, I'll appeal to your judgement of character.

The event on the 29th may not work either. It's a risk, we all know that. But nobody ever achieved anything worthwhile by holding back and playing it safe.

Cheers,

Drew.

Thanks for the response.

Just to note that I fully appreciate this effort at creating a player-influenced MMO-storyline is a gargantuan one, it's probably rather groundbreaking in some respects, and that I know that the playerbase has thwarted one or two bits of the storyline in the recent past due to their actions, so again, kudos for having to cope with that.

I just deal in absolutes, which is why I just asked if there was more to find (in terms of physical things to see) in the Rift, or if you were referring to the overall big-picture mystery, as your previous answer is sort of vague (which again might be understandable if you're having to be very careful in not giving away too much). It appears from your answer that there are more 'things' to find within the Rift then.

As for 'has the Rift Mystery been solved' - on Discord today, apart from a couple of jokes, I haven't thought that the Formidine Rift mystery itself was solved in any way, I just mentioned that 'IT' had been found. Looks like it was an 'IT' and there's possibly more to uncover.

Will look on passively whilst more 'stuff' is revealed.

- - - Updated - - -

Didn't we have an FD indication of abandoned ships (plural) in a galnet article or weekly newsletter?

In the lore, there is definitely more than 1 megaship which was launched.

Cheers,

Drew.

It's really funny the amount of stuff that people have taken literally and the stuff they refuse to take literally. Just theorizing but I bet the beacons the Zurara talks about is what we were supposed to find, EAFOTS containing some of them, which would lead us to the ship beyond that where we turn is the question. The Gap or Conflux? The mystery involves them but we are no where near understanding what they were preparing for and an even better question who "they" is.

Last edited:
At Phaethon's Reach - Eridanus
Follow the Path of Souls - Styx

DB-IB = David Braben and Ian Bell who made Elite.

1337 is leetspeak for Elite.

T-1319 = 1984

Fi(0) = Fibonacci sequence

Sum ( 10,7,5,3 ) = 25 as it is. Clotsed is leetspeak for the brackets.

Cheers,

Drew.

Personally I love how it's been implemented - even though I had very little participation in terms of the outcome (just hunted a bit for the lost outposts). The fact so many players were involved created an organic background "life" to the galaxy. While you have people who play the game with only an eye on credits-per-minute you have those who treat events in the game with equal importance, who believe in whatever side they've chosen or simply try to puzzle out the galaxy they're in. These are the people who help make this world feel "real" and you've done a great job of giving them a lot to work with. :)

In a sense it's a matter of it not being the destination, but the journey. I say "in a sense" because without a decent payoff the journey wouldn't have felt like it was worth it, but I totally think it was. Can't wait to see it play out in the book.

All this salt.

Please spare poor Drew - he's doing a great job at storytelling, and I'm actually tempted to even like that Salome figure somehow. Will do my part to not seeing her end up as smiling dog food, at least :) Yes, the Rift mystery had its lengths, in particular around Xmas and due to the settlements bug. But then, only some months ago, we didn't even exactly know where the Rift was at all. We didn't know anything about the beacons, the settlements, the Dynasty project, all the conspiracy behind it, and this is just a start. As I see it, only one single thread has come to and end, and that is what Old Lady Rebecca discovered in the Rift and how the story ties up with the Tionisla article appearing on August 5th last year.

The Zarura ship was done masterfully IMHO, the vid gives me goosebumps and now I really want to find out more. As I see it, the end of Premonition leaves us at the eve before the storm. There has to be an end to this chapter some day, and something like, 'oh, we found Raxxla or at least some lights on an ELW, call it a day' would just be bland. As would have been finding a Conda floating around with some basic placeholder text. All that we got now is so much better than that, and I'm excited to see the story move on. The eve before the storm, I said. But which storm? There could be way more to it than just Thargoids. And Drew's storytelling IMHO is the main reason why it's worth reading GalNet articles at all.

Don't spoil that, please.

[noob]

Last edited:

Cheers,

Drew.

I hope that whatever happens on the 29th isn't an ending, as such. I'd hate to think of Elite's future hanging on the conclusion of several puzzles, several threads, leading to a primary event. And you know what... I really don't believe it will be that way.

If I cast my mind back to the 80's, and the addiction I had for this game back then, with no storylines, no events beyond the collection of an ECM jammer, a cloaking device, a thargoid invasion and 100g of gems, I can believe only that the 29th is but another part of a neverending saga.

Last edited:
You are right. Bugs prevent us to dig in further. My bad.

Are you meaning the Ram Tah mission? Cos that isn't "The Guardians". It's just part of it. There is a ton of stuff from before the Ram Tah mission came along, there is a ton of stuff that came out of the Ram Tah messages that are just starting points, and there is a ton of stuff from the Galnet lore that are just starting points too. No bugs effecting any of that AFAIK.

Cheers,

Drew.

Unfortunately some people can't comprehend that some people have lives, I for one wholeheartedly appreciate all the work you and FDev have both put into this, it is fantastic and I hope to carry on working on all of these riddles and mysteries, I may have not met you ever but I see where you are coming from and hopefully one day I will meet you all :) \o/

Cheers,

Drew.

Satisfied me already by trying, anything else is a bonus

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator

Cheers,

Drew.

Well said Sir. Having met Drew at Lavecon 2 years ago, and after a chat with him I personally admire his dedication to the story of Elite. It's easy to criticise. For me the Formidine Rift mystery was - and still is - good fun and I think ED would be much poorer without it.

I can't rep you again, so I'm only going to say - carry on and let the story continue!

Are you meaning the Ram Tah mission? Cos that isn't "The Guardians". It's just part of it. There is a ton of stuff from before the Ram Tah mission came along, there is a ton of stuff that came out of the Ram Tah messages that are just starting points, and there is a ton of stuff from the Galnet lore that are just starting points too. No bugs effecting any of that AFAIK.

Ok, ok ... If you aren't afraid of the 'black helicopter' coming to take you I would be very pleased to be enlightened ! Please tell me !

Top Bottom