The game is not worth fixing

I disagree with the OP, I have recently bought Odyssey and I do enjoy the missions I have done so far. Yes I have had one crash which caused me to fail a mission but other than that I have enjoyed it. It is not as bad from my perspective as everyone makes out yes its not going to be the HUGE leap that everyone was hoping for but I can see where this is going and I wanted to play that part of it so I bought it :D

a) depends what you class as fixed
How about having similar and consistent performance to Horizons? That sounds reasonable as a description for "Fixed".
b) it could be argued that adding said new content to Horizons and Odyssey while still fixing has it's own merits
It could be also argued that such an addition would be tantamount to insanity, given the issues already present...

But I suppose there are some who want new shinies, then would throw their toys out of the pram once more when further issues are introduced 🤷‍♂️

How about having similar and consistent performance to Horizons? That sounds reasonable as a description for "Fixed".

It could be also argued that such an addition would be tantamount to insanity, given the issues already present...

But I suppose there are some who want new shinies, then would throw their toys out of the pram once more when more issues are introduced 🤷‍♂️

Space should certainly approach Horizons frame rates. Settlements and social spaces - there's nothing to compare those to, but they're a lot more complex than an empty planet or an asteroid field with a few NPC ships, so I doubt anyone running Horizons on Ultra will get the same frame rates in an Odyssey conflict zone with 40+ NPCs, explosions and gunfire, turrets and dogfights going on overhead.

As for the shinies and other issues, you're right. People need to understand that software development is nothing like the assembly of a car or a games console from manufactured parts. It's impossible to test every combination of inputs to a PC game, not to mention the hardware it's running on, so there will always be bugs.

Space should certainly approach Horizons frame rates. Settlements and social spaces - there's nothing to compare those to, but they're a lot more complex than an empty planet or an asteroid field with a few NPC ships, so I doubt anyone running Horizons on Ultra will get the same frame rates in an Odyssey conflict zone with 40+ NPCs, explosions and gunfire, turrets and dogfights going on overhead.
That is why I worded my comment as I did. ;)

As performance currently is inconsistent - particularly on and around occupied planets - losing the stuttering / brief stops for smooth gameplay, even if at a reduced framerate (within reason!) to 'normal' space performance, would be consistent enough for me.

But I suppose there are some who want new shinies, then would throw their toys out of the pram once more when further issues are introduced 🤷‍♂️

Similar performance to Horizons, when on foot, would be nice. Not sure it's possible*, or that they should delay all of the new content in the pursuit of it.

We have to bear in mind that non-Odyssey players haven't had a content update since Fleet Carriers (June 2020).

* While consistency is great, first person shooter (FPS) gameplay tends to require higher than average frame rates to be either competitive in a PvP scenario, or enjoyable in any scenario.

With the FPS gameplay being quite "light" on features as it is, in my opinion it will take a huge improvement in both performance, and gameplay features/mechanics, to sell Odyssey's FPS elements outside of the existing Elite Dangerous player-base. And wasn't that one of it's main goals? So back to the OP: Can it even be done?

Last edited:
We have to bear in mind that non-Odyssey players haven't had a content update since Fleet Carriers (June 2020).
To be honest the normal way is once a new DLC is out the rest go I to maintenance mode, everything pre Odyssey won't get major work now it's been released tbh. Heck how much work has been done to Horizons since Odyssey was thought of tbh iirc it was full Odyssey from way before that was even released? 🤔

To be honest the normal way is once a new DLC is out the rest go I to maintenance mode, everything pre Odyssey won't get major work now it's been released tbh. Heck how much work has been done to Horizons since Odyssey was thought of tbh iirc it was full Odyssey from way before that was even released? 🤔

Unfortunately the DLC is not available on all platforms yet, though, so maintenance mode (content starvation) for those platforms is (in my view) unfair.

Unfortunately the DLC is not available on all platforms yet, though, so maintenance mode (content starvation) for those platforms is (in my view) unfair.
How odd... Other platforms will (possibly) get the new content when the PC version is fixed - suggesting that 'content starvation' (what an enchanting term!) is unfair on a multi-platform game where the newest expansion is occupying all of the allocated developers efforts is curious indeed... Why, it is almost as if you are suggesting that consoles wait even longer because you wish the developers to make some exclusive content for them because they are the poor brethren who are having to wait...

How odd... Other platforms will (possibly) get the new content when the PC version is fixed - suggesting that 'content starvation' (what an enchanting term!) is unfair on a multi-platform game where the newest expansion is occupying all of the allocated developers efforts is curious indeed... Why, it is almost as if you are suggesting that consoles wait even longer because you wish the developers to make some exclusive content for them because they are the poor brethren who are having to wait...

A Cobra MKV for Xbox and PS owners upon Odyssey pre-order? What a good idea!

That is why I worded my comment as I did. ;)

As performance currently is inconsistent - particularly on and around occupied planets - losing the stuttering / brief stops for smooth gameplay, even if at a reduced framerate (within reason!) to 'normal' space performance, would be consistent enough for me.

Yep, in my own way I was agreeing with you.

I find space/empty planets/ship combat runs fine in Odyssey on both systems (1660ti, gtx970), but there are people with much older hardware currently running Horizons who would find Odyssey laggy in those same situations - especially driving the SRV around on the surface if they try to run the game in Ultra detail.

The Odyssey-only content doesn't have to run at 'Horizons' speed, at least not right away, since anyone who gets the Odyssey planet tech for free with the Horizons merge won't be accessing station interiors or Odyssey settlements and won't experience the most hardware-critical parts. They just need space and empty planets (including guardian ruins, etc) to run at roughly the frame rates they get now in Horizons.

The game definitely is worth fixing. Not like we got a ton of options in this niche field of gaming lol. I'm not impressed with Odyssey either but dang. Let 'em try and salvage what they can and make it an enjoyable experience for those who still tinker in the game.

The funny part is that the 'poor console players deserve..."
Is this sense of entitlement even more pervasive among this breed? I have a PS4 and have not felt any kind of starvation because I own it...

A strong sense of entitlement is pervasive in the gaming community regardless of the platforms they're on. If the CM4 was a console exclusive you'd still have PC Commandos whine for years that they want the console exclusive ship.

They need to build a bridge and get over it.

Top Bottom