The GLFrontier Thread

How do you get all the sounds working? At the moment, I can only hear some of them and the music. Also, how do you play in full-screen and use a joystick or edit the keys? None of my controllers will work with the game and I hate the original key mapping.

Edit: Is there supposed to be an engine sound with this version?

Last edited:
Hi there,

All I know is that F11 takes it into Full-Screen mode, and CTRL-E switches between GL, original and wireframe graphics settings.

The sounds don't work properly for me either. I get a sort of "ISH" noise when my laser hits a target, rather than a nice explosion noise. The Hyperspace noise is different too, but okay. But I get no engine noise, no space-station humm, and it does actually make it less enjoyable. :eek:

I hate the original key mapping.
Mouse+Shift+Enter is not nearly enough of a setup to inspire hate, even from a person, who, like me, religiously changes half of the key binding when running a game for the first time. Every other function is accessible with mouse.

The sounds don't work properly for me either. I get a sort of "ISH" noise when my laser hits a target, rather than a nice explosion noise.
I sometimes get "sh" noises instead of normal SFX after being in the vicinity of those industrial flaming chimneys.

Still, GLFrontier fills the niche for modern PC Frontier port for people who can't be bothered to setup the game under DOSBox (or lack the resources to run it under DOSBox with satisfactory speed) rather nicely.

It's better than nothing, but I do miss those ambient noises while in a space-station and the lack of engine noise feels a touch disconcerting. Hasn't anyone got the original sounds from Frontier that could be uploaded, or wouldn't that work/ is illegal?

It's also a shame that all the textures are lost in GL display mode, maybe they'll get that sorted in a later version? One other thing, in the GLFrontier folder, there is a option for a High Res GLFrontier, but it always comes back with 'path does not exist' error message. Has anyone got that to work? How about control with a gamepad/joystick? I'm sure that'd make the combat more enjoyable for me anyway!

The option to have stick/pad control is a must in Elite IV, I'd never play an ordinary space-shooter just using keys, just like I wouldn't play a flight-sim like that.

Edit: I've tried clicking Joystick control in the menu, but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

Last edited:
Was there ever a GLFirst Encounters? I just d/l the shareware version of F:FFE, but it doesn't work, even with DosBox. It runs the intro (with no sound) then as soon as I press a key, CTD.

Edit: I also d/l the shareware Frontier and as I suspected, there was no option for Joystick control, it just works straight away! With GLFrontier, there's an option for joystick control, but it doesn't do anything!

Still, GLFrontier fills the niche for modern PC Frontier port

Absolutely, it's the second most played game on my home Laptop. If I could just make it run a little bit slower, and it had all the original sounds, it would be so much better.

Space Pirate, I never played any games with a joystick, (except flight sims), because I find the mouse so much easier. Plus the "Hi Res" shortcut in my GLFrontier works okay, though I don't think it makes any difference to the look of the game.

As for First Encounters, there's a similar thing to GLFrontier, called JLFFE, (and I think there's a GLFFE as well), but I'm not sure where to get them from I'm afraid. I'm sure someone else will post a link, or you could probably search for them. Never liked it myself.

I'm not mad about F:FE either, one of the things I don't like is if you fly in manual control on maximum stardreamer settings so you can fly much faster than in normal autopilot and re-engage the autopilot around 1AU or so away from the dock, you just fly straight past it. In Frontier, you could do that and you'd still be able to land ok. It was a great way to make deadlines that you'd never make with normal autopilot, but it doesn't seem to work in F:FE. I've uninstalled it and gone back to Frontier: Elite II, although the gfx aren't as good, I prefer that game to F:FE. Until Elite IV of course!

Not that I have a problem sending £5 to Frontier Devs, but why is the game still shareware and not freeware? It's well over ten years old! Has anyone actually paid £5 for one of these games, if so what happened? Did they send you some sort of code to enable the game to run past it's 30 day limit?

Last edited:
Not that I have a problem sending £5 to Frontier Devs, but why is the game still shareware and not freeware? It's well over ten years old!
I think there's a subtle legal difference which is important to Frontier Developments and the future of Elite/Frontier.
Has anyone actually paid £5 for one of these games, if so what happened? Did they send you some sort of code to enable the game to run past it's 30 day limit?
No, it's done on an "honesty box" basis :eek:

I'm not mad about F:FE either, one of the things I don't like is if you fly in manual control on maximum stardreamer settings so you can fly much faster than in normal autopilot and re-engage the autopilot around 1AU or so away from the dock, you just fly straight past it. In Frontier, you could do that and you'd still be able to land ok.
Wait, you don't like that they removed a bug? o_O

It was a great way to make deadlines that you'd never make with normal autopilot, but it doesn't seem to work in F:FE.
It was also cheating. Besides, you can still use manual to meet the deadlines, you just have to know what you're doing (accelerate half of the way, flip, decelerate, then either reach the planet manualy and land or use the autopilot).

Sound files can be simply replaced by hand. Changing the space colour, on the other hand, would probably require you to rewrite the source code (which is available).

I didn't really see it as a bug, but I suppose the ultra-realism camp among us might see otherwise.

Edit: What's happened to Earth in F:FE? Either it's some sort of gfx glitch, or Earth has become some sort of desert world! I haven't got the F:FE manual and I can't find it anywhere to download it, has there been some sort of terrible environmental catastrophe on Earth?

Last edited:
Has anyone uploaded any sounds? I know what you mean about replacing the sounds but they have to be in WAV format (I don't know how to convert sound formats). I'd use the sounds from F:FE, but they're in RAW format (or something like that).

It's also very hard to know which sound is which, since they're not named, only numbered and so many of them are little hissing sounds, so you can't tell what's meant to be an explosion, for example.

I didn't really see it as a bug, but I suppose the ultra-realism camp among us might see otherwise.
Expecting decelerating from significant fraction of c to complete halt to take more than a few kilometers is hardly "ultra-realism", if you'd hit the Earth with velocity you expect your autopilot to miraculously nullify you'd turn it into planet-sized ****** tribute!

(to find out what ****** means, check this link, specifficaly the article under letter "G" - I can't be bypassing the autocensor all the time - mods might get angry at me. ;) )

Edit: What's happened to Earth in F:FE? Either it's some sort of gfx glitch, or Earth has become some sort of desert world! I haven't got the F:FE manual and I can't find it anywhere to download it, has there been some sort of terrible environmental catastrophe on Earth?
Earth got 0wned by technical difficulties. To be more specific, it was a victim of the new way of generating terrain.

Last edited:
I do, but it's a flippin' useful one. Even when I'm not after making a deadline I use it. :eek: ;)
Meh, I usually cruise on autopilot, unless I'm either in haste or doing some freaky things involving spectacular (ab)use of orbital mechanics. If I'm in haste I simply accelerate on full burn half the way, flip, then decelerate over the remaining distance. It was sufficient to win Wiccan Ware Race, it's enough to beat most of the deadlines, except for particularily ones.

This is probably a stupid question, but what do you mean by 'flip'?
Turn aruond and fly backwards, so you can use the main thruster to brake.
Since main thruster is always more powerful than retros/maneuvering ones you can brake faster, which means that you can accelerate longer and can start braking later, which means that you will arrive at your destination much faster.
It's also rather easy to do manualy, as all you have to do is flip mid-way to your destination. Sure, it's not very precise, especially given the influence of gravity and planetary movement, but even if shoot past your destination and manage to stop after flying one or two AU extra, you can still be faster than person who simply flew on autopilot all the way, even if you use the autopilot for your final approach.

Top Bottom