THE LOOP OF SHAME

Ok, maybe it's me but I know I can't be the only noob doing it. My question is, Your coming in hot, and for what ever purpose you just ain't slowing down and you know in your gut your gonna blow by your destination. Then have to head back, thus making a loop.

What I do now, is once I know it's gonna happen, I do a loop prior, I mean right now stick up all the way. Every time I do it, I only a few k's away and just stroll right in.

Sometimes it just seems to happen, I'm watching my speed everything is goood, then bam, I can ever hear the motor reving higher. I recon it because of gravity or something, because it hapens more when there's a lot of planets and stuff nearby. My remedy works well and saves time because you basically use the loop to slow down rather than go back.

Ok, maybe it's me but I know I can't be the only noob doing it. My question is, Your coming in hot, and for what ever purpose you just ain't slowing down and you know in your gut your gonna blow by your destination. Then have to head back, thus making a loop.

What I do now, is once I know it's gonna happen, I do a loop prior, I mean right now stick up all the way. Every time I do it, I only a few k's away and just stroll right in.

Sometimes it just seems to happen, I'm watching my speed everything is goood, then bam, I can ever hear the motor reving higher. I recon it because of gravity or something, because it hapens more when there's a lot of planets and stuff nearby. My remedy works well and saves time because you basically use the loop to slow down rather than go back.

Or you throttle back to blue at 7 seconds and go straight in - but hey, if it works for you, good job [up]

(Just this evening on the main forum: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showt...my-time-playing-Elite-I-never-knew-about-this)

Last edited:
Actually grinding out exploration, I noticed that no matter how often I kept the speed in that range....there is just a touch of lag that you need to compensate for. There were so many times when I was flying in and all the sudden time went from 10 to 6 in 2 seconds. So yeah... many many loops

The ship you're in can make a difference too, with smaller ships recovering better from slowing down at even 6 seconds.

If you're at 7 and zero throttle but it's not quite slowing down fast enough, a good waggle on the stick (point down for a second, up again for a second etc) can sometimes just about bleed off enough speed to get you dropping out at the right point. But once you hit five, if you're not already into the KM/s speed bracket, it's usually too late.

If you're doing it so often it's annoying, try slowing down at 10 and then speeding back up to 7. Then work your way through doing it at 9, then 8, before the magical 7. An extra couple of seconds getting back up to speed is better than an entire loop of shame.

The ship you're in can make a difference too, with smaller ships recovering better from slowing down at even 6 seconds.

If you're at 7 and zero throttle but it's not quite slowing down fast enough, a good waggle on the stick (point down for a second, up again for a second etc) can sometimes just about bleed off enough speed to get you dropping out at the right point. But once you hit five, if you're not already into the KM/s speed bracket, it's usually too late.

If you're doing it so often it's annoying, try slowing down at 10 and then speeding back up to 7. Then work your way through doing it at 9, then 8, before the magical 7. An extra couple of seconds getting back up to speed is better than an entire loop of shame.

Damn good point and something I figured out in the first hour after getting into my Conda. The momentum is a crazy change.

An alternative way to increase the distance (and as such giving you more time to slow down) is the barrel roll.
Aerobatics%20-%20Barrell%20Roll.png

I'm primarily a PC player and something I've noticed is that the throttle on the PS4 seems far more forgiving. If you fall to 05 with the PC you're gonna overshoot for sure. With the PS4 I can usually throttle way down, then back up again and make it in. Here's a tip. The next time you're coming straight in and you hit the 07 sweetspot, look where the throttle indicator is on the dashed blue line and remember it. Then all you need to do is get about 30 seconds out and throttle down to that position. It will settle at 07 just about every time.

I've set a spair button combo to "engines to 75%".
I use hold circle and R1...
When it gets to 7seconds I hit the combo and my ship goes into like a cruse control... Never do the loop of shame again...

I'm with Nemo - something is going on and it isn't just throttle related. I thought I had it for a while (but then I changed ship so maybe thats a factor), but it is NOT just about the blue. I can be happily minding my own business, everything cool and blue sitting, not touching anything at 0.08, then WHAM - suddenly I am at 0:04 with a SLOW DOWN warning on my dash which of course is fruitless because its just not possible to slow down and off you go for a loop.

I find that I actually have to be consciously and dynamically adjusting my throttle as I approach. Once I get close enough and I get the little blue line on the left panel GUI - then we are all good - but again, at that stage you can actually throttle back UP to max. Provided you stay within eh blue band you can still exit on the money.

Planetary gravity well's certainly have an effect, but I have also had this happen nowhere near a planet so I just don't know whats going on. it isn't insurmountable but I have had wayyyyyy too many loops of late.

I'm with Nemo - something is going on and it isn't just throttle related. I thought I had it for a while (but then I changed ship so maybe thats a factor), but it is NOT just about the blue. I can be happily minding my own business, everything cool and blue sitting, not touching anything at 0.08, then WHAM - suddenly I am at 0:04 with a SLOW DOWN warning on my dash which of course is fruitless because its just not possible to slow down and off you go for a loop

Hmmm, I'd like to see a video of that - maybe it is something PS4 specific.

o7 Commanders

If you're coming in hot, throttle back so that you're in control. I would rather slow down and then go back to a manageable speed than my ship taking me along for the ride. Once I notice my speed is rapidly increasing, I instantly start slowing down my bird to make sure the entry is to my liking. Watch your Ls on the destination marker and you will start to note a certain sweet spot for throttling down. Remember piloting is an artform. Listen to that wonderful track and fly in with cinematic grace. Immerse yourself and it would almost become instinctual.

stormyuk

Volunteer Moderator
When it gets to 7seconds I hit the combo and my ship goes into like a cruse control... Never do the loop of shame again...

This, basically, this. It saves so much time, I sometimes still mess up on very looong SC trips but 75% bind is a real help.

It's not a loop of shame, it's a victory pass.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Actually, surprisingly true, for one simple reason:

Deliberately coming in too fast, skimming close to the planet and looping back is much faster than the "standard" 6s mid-blue approach.

It's not a loop of shame, it's how to go fast.

I'm primarily a PC player and something I've noticed is that the throttle on the PS4 seems far more forgiving. If you fall to 05 with the PC you're gonna overshoot for sure. With the PS4 I can usually throttle way down, then back up again and make it in. Here's a tip. The next time you're coming straight in and you hit the 07 sweetspot, look where the throttle indicator is on the dashed blue line and remember it. Then all you need to do is get about 30 seconds out and throttle down to that position. It will settle at 07 just about every time.

If you are far enough away, 5 seconds is recoverable if you zero your throttle and wobble.

75% speed keybinding is great - it also pays to see what other planets there are around your target as you can use them to slow down too.
Not that that helps when I'm browsing online and miss it completely....

If you're just travelling, always supercruise at 75% throttle and never go around. It's super simple. No need for excuses ;)

Maybe it's me, but my t6 had to be set to 50% where as the 75% was more than sufficent for my others. And even then, I've had to do my NEMO loop.

I'm courious, do any of you experience pilots on a pc and or an xbox, have an issue with the throttle on a ps4?

Last edited:
Top Bottom