The Mighty Eighth - Microprose

I'm wondering what the survival rates for torpedo bombers were....brave lads.

Taranto was a surprise attack that had few casualties, later in the war when Scharnhorst and Gneisenau ran for it in the English Channel was a disaster with (if I remember) all Swordfish being lost.

I still want a remake of 1942 Pacific Air War by Microprose...there's simply never been a replacement for it. I was kinda hoping for the IL2 devs, 777 software, to branch out into the Pacific campaign at one point...sadly not to be.

Way back in 1994, seeing a demo of 1942 PAW running in my local computer shop dragged me away from the Amiga and into the world of PC gaming...never been anything like it....besides Red Baron 2....which is probably why I love Rise of Flight so much :)

I've never even considered replacing RoF with the newer IL2 Great Battles addition of Flying Circus...just can't beat Rise of Flight with Pat Wilson's campaign generator and taking a pilot from 1915 right through to the end of WW1.

WIgTJUz.jpg

LKFLvuY.jpg

nimZnpC.jpg

BM70HSi.jpg

fhjwtW9.jpg

32HMQCL.jpg

Last edited:

There's some nice looking screenshots of the aircraft there, this could be great, multicrew done right hopefully ;)
Didn't even knew they still existed?

If you like story vids from IL2 or Rise of Flight...Zetexy is probably one of the best...if not the number 1 contributer...Love his vids, every one tells a story.

I am absolutely in love with IL-2 Great Battles, especially thanks to the career mode that gives a bigger sense of purpose to what is already an absolutely fantastic flight sim.

I haven't felt this passionate about a flight sim since the 90's when playing a fantastic (fot the time) WW1 flight sim called Knights of the Sky, where you also played a lengthy campaign across the war and crossed paths with AI versions of real legendary pilots.

Rise of Flight is also very good, and belongs to the same guys who make IL2. However it's no longer worth investing in it, as there are clear signs that they are merging the 2 series together, the first batch of WW1 airplanes, maps and campaigns has already been released, a second batch will follow during the year, and hopefully career mode will also be possible for WW1.

Didn't IL2 have a Pacific theatre as well? I remember flying a Kate I believe.

Not yet, at least in the current incarnation (IL-2 Great Battles). Currently scenarios are all in eastern europe and east germany. Normandy is due to be released soon, and there are rumours of a pacific dlc being in the cards, but no confirmation yet. However there are already several american airplanes playable in the Battle of Bodenplatte DLC, which takes part in the latest part of the war.

From what Jason has said so far it looks doubtful if the Pacific is possible with the current game engine, but you never know. I know nothing about game development :)

Not yet, at least in the current incarnation (IL-2 Great Battles). Currently scenarios are all in eastern europe and east germany. Normandy is due to be released soon, and there are rumours of a pacific dlc being in the cards, but no confirmation yet. However there are already several american airplanes playable in the Battle of Bodenplatte DLC, which takes part in the latest part of the war.
Pacific Fighter? Might have been a Microsoft FS - I know I flew off some carriers and it had some kind of campaign mode.

Top Bottom