The multi monitor thread... coz wider is better!

Eyefinity and Elite will work on two monitors.

Problem is - you end up with bezels right in the centre of view, and it's just nasty!

Add a third monitor, and it'll be all good!

[video=vimeo;115841864]https://vimeo.com/115841864[/video]

E:D does not support multiple monitors like X-Plane or FSX. It only supports it when you make a virtual monitor with Eyefinity/Surround (hence you need driver support!), and that has drawbacks as the game doesn't recognize where the monitor boundaries are. Thus you cannot, for instance, put your star chart, comms panel or other camera views on your additional monitors.

It's a single monitor game.

Personally, I use only one out of my three monitors and pretend the others are my inflight entertainment system and my comms with access to the wonders beyond galnet.

My 17" laptop screen just seems inadequate now. How helpful has it been to go multi-monitor? It seems like vertical movement would be more critical than horizontal, so a trackIR might be a better option.
Opentrack + smartphone orientation sensor = free servings of WIN.

The lag is minimal, and you get used to it very quickly.

[video=youtube;6Pts_sotjMA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Pts_sotjMA[/video]

Admittedly, you do look a bit daft with a nice princess headband on, but you can always attach it to your headphone band or just wear one that isn't bright red.

As for multi-monitor, I find it really adds to the sense of immersion. However, it doesn't really affect gameplay very much, especially with an orientation tracking solution.

I hate wide screens. It looks like you're looking out through a mail slot when you could open the door.

In fact I'd like to stack my screens. My peripheral vision doesn't go only left and right.

I have a triple monitor running on eyefinity, one display port, one VGA and one HDMI - which shouldn't workl, but does. Biggest problem for me is the non linear scaling. If you notice with one monitor, when you approach a circle, it is only circular when it is centre screen? Well the efefct is much worse out further on 3 screens.

I have a triple monitor running on eyefinity, one display port, one VGA and one HDMI - which shouldn't workl, but does. Biggest problem for me is the non linear scaling. If you notice with one monitor, when you approach a circle, it is only circular when it is centre screen? Well the efefct is much worse out further on 3 screens.
Get Opentrack, strap your mobile to yer 'ead, and the screens become peripheral vision - the moment you turn your head to look, the view appears on the central screen.

I barely notice the fish-eye lensing now.

I have a triple monitor running on eyefinity, one display port, one VGA and one HDMI - which shouldn't workl, but does.

Actually it SHOULD work as DVI, HDMI, and VGA all have dedicate clock signals - it's the displayports that don't which is why they need active adaptors rather than (much cheaper and easier to find) passive ones to work with traditional monitors.

Biggest problem for me is the non linear scaling. If you notice with one monitor, when you approach a circle, it is only circular when it is centre screen? Well the efefct is much worse out further on 3 screens.

Yep, it's a symptom of the extremely wide screenmode... needs to have seperate "viewports" built into the game to correct it or something. Witcher 3 and Thief (to name two) both do it too. So does FSX if I remember correctly. Can't currently be fixed, but already mentioned headtracking of some kind resolves.the problem. The devs said a long time ago.that they'd not finished with multimonitor.support, but nothing's happened since.then so I can only assume it's a very low priority.

Last edited:
I'm actually thinking of getting rid of 2 of my 3 monitors due to the Oculus Rift. Multi monitors and games seem rather pointless for me. i'm getting a 28 inch and use a 22 inch as a secondary.

I'm actually thinking of getting rid of 2 of my 3 monitors due to the Oculus Rift. Multi monitors and games seem rather pointless for me. i'm getting a 28 inch and use a 22 inch as a secondary.

Playing on the middle monitor, surfing the forum on the left and operating Teamspeak and Elite OCR for market data on the right one makes perfect sense to me ... ;)

Zombie thread alert. Well, I need help now and this was the best thread, so...
OK.
Just got 3 of the new lovely Dell U2515H panels (2560x1440). Got them all set up OK but the right hand panel (3) is all fuzzy. Panels 1 & 2 (centre & left) are absolutely gorgeous.
The fuzziness on the right hand panel seems to be because it has a max available resolution of 2048x1152. It's not at its native res. Windows won't let me set it any higher and nor would the NVidia thing. So I've created a custom setting in the driver for the right resolution and it's scaling up to it. I think that this is where the fuzziness is coming from.
Please note that I'm not intending to play ED spanned across three panels just yet. I know that'll take more GPU power than I have.
So, is there any way I can get them all at 2560x1440 for normal desktop use?
If not, what is the issue?

Tech details:
Panels: Dell U2515H
GPU: NVidia 650Ti Boost (remember I'm only going to be playing on one panel, it runs ED in ultra at 60fps on the old 1920x1200 panel without issue)
Panels are connected via daisychained Displayport. The Dell panels do not have DP 1.2 enabled by default so I sorted that out first thing. Centre is connected to the GPU, then the left one (2), then the right one (3).
I've not swapped 2 & 3 around yet but I can't see it making any difference given that I can see the monitor is still on 2048x1152 on the onscreen menu display even though I've got it trying to do the 2560x1440 thing.

Ladies and gents, can you help me out here?

Zombie thread alert. Well, I need help now and this was the best thread, so...
OK.
Just got 3 of the new lovely Dell U2515H panels (2560x1440). Got them all set up OK but the right hand panel (3) is all fuzzy. Panels 1 & 2 (centre & left) are absolutely gorgeous.
The fuzziness on the right hand panel seems to be because it has a max available resolution of 2048x1152. It's not at its native res. Windows won't let me set it any higher and nor would the NVidia thing. So I've created a custom setting in the driver for the right resolution and it's scaling up to it. I think that this is where the fuzziness is coming from.
Please note that I'm not intending to play ED spanned across three panels just yet. I know that'll take more GPU power than I have.
So, is there any way I can get them all at 2560x1440 for normal desktop use?
If not, what is the issue?

There are plenty of things you can do to find the problem.

first off swap the cables to monitors 2/3 around - you don't even have to move the monitors - and see if the problem moves.

Note that 3 x 2560x1440 is a hell of a lot of pixels - I only have 3 x 1600 x 1200 and that has always streched the video connectivity options.

I'd recommend you connect the monitors independently to the graphics card (there must be a reason you didn't do this, maybe it's the card or you just wanted one neat cable). But just swap the fuzzy one onto a regular dual-dvi / vga connection.

Maybe one of your DP cables is more crap than the others - try swapping those around.

Anyhoo, 3x2560x1440 down a single cable *is* state-of-the-art, regardless of the theoretical capabilities of DP, so it doesn't surprise me you're having problems.

FYI I have my monitors in portrait mode, so the 3x isn't too letterbox. Works well for ED, with 2 x 660Ti in SLI (with a lot of low graphics settings though).

Yeah. My mind is moving in the direction of not enough horsepower to push the pixels around. It is a lot of them as you say.
The cables are OK and the monitor is OK on its own.
I'm going to try the third panel on HDMI and see if that makes any difference.
There are only DP and HDMI ports on the monitors. No DVI.

I've just installed a new PC for my Custom simpit/game chair with GTX970 and triple 1080p displays. I'm running 120fps docking at an outpost. :D :D :D

ncXLvrZl.jpg

I am looking for a way to fix the extreme scaling on the left and right edges, i tried playing with the Field of View but it is still not right.

Anyone have a set-up like these?
[video=youtube_share;twP5ZIeoGxQ]https://youtu.be/twP5ZIeoGxQ[/video]

Racing, but still a cool setup..rear projection
[video=youtube_share;dNiLWAPWVLE]https://youtu.be/dNiLWAPWVLE[/video]

Last edited:
or you could always try a 3 port MST hub they are kind of expensive but they do work, if you suffer from any screen tearing that will solve your issue, I have AMD r9 270x v 3 via DP and 1 vis VGA>DVI

I am looking for a way to fix the extreme scaling on the left and right edges, i tried playing with the Field of View but it is still not right.

I've been trying to figure that one out too, can't seem to find anything in the graphicsconfiguration.xml that seems to help with it. It really becomes badly apparent if you go to debug camera to take a screen shot and your ships gets stretched way out of proportion.

Last edited:
Yep, it's a symptom of the extremely wide screenmode... needs to have seperate "viewports" built into the game to correct it or something. Witcher 3 and Thief (to name two) both do it too. So does FSX if I remember correctly. Can't currently be fixed, but already mentioned headtracking of some kind resolves.the problem. The devs said a long time ago.that they'd not finished with multimonitor.support, but nothing's happened since.then so I can only assume it's a very low priority.

Exactly. E:D currently doesn't support multiple monitors. You can create a virtual screen with the device driver and present it to E:D, but it won't know about the size and angles of the other monitors and it can only draw the main view onto it.
X-Plane and FSX have much better multi monitor support, the latter can even draw on screens that are not connected to the main computer.

But FD doesn't have that kind of ambition. Personally, I play on 40" 4k, that's enough for me. All chat and communication goes via external tools, so it doesn't use up precious screen space on the E:D monitor. Bit immersion breaking, but not too much. I wish the map could go on one of the other screens though. You miss all kinds of stuff when it's open.

I think most gfx cards have 3 slots now, so sli won't be needed for 3 monitor setup. It might even be that you can only use the monitor connectors of the first card in sli mode?
Instead of getting 3 monitors though, you could consider buying the occulus rift that ED is going to support, when both are released near the end of 2014.
In both cases you'll need a fast gfx card though. I'm waiting for the new nvidia chip generation "maxwell" / geforce 800 series.

even in SLI, you need to connect all monitors to a single card. most cards have 3 to 4 outputs.

Not sure how crossfire works, but AMD cards had support for multiple monitors far earlier than NVidia, so I'd be surprised if things were differnet with them.
SLI really doesn't impact ed at all... if you want to support three monitors, all you need is a decent modern single card. I think something along the lines of a NVidia 950 (ehh.. maybe a 960), and whatever amd's counterpart is, would be more than sufficient.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom