The new SCO Drive and it's jump range...

Some posters above make it sound like once the A-rated SCOs are released, you have to immediately refit your entire fleet with them. Which is pretty much not neccessary and very unwise to do.

A very similar thing already happened to FSDs once, with the introduction of the double-engineered ones. I eventually refitted all my ships that had a c5 FSD slot with the better modules, but only gradually, over the course of a couple of months IIRC.

As with a lot of the other "grind", this is a self made problem. You're free to just not play the power creep game; while maybe having an A-rated SCO drive on a few of my ships, you can be sure that I will not rush to replace all my FSDs the minute new SCOs come out.
As I said to Yamiks in a comment : I don't grind, never. If I don't enjoy doing any activity, I do something else (even play another game). That's why my on foot stuff is bad (grade 3, quite no mods, weapons and suits) why I never did any thargo mission, why I haven't unlocked all engineers etc etc... If SCO stuff is just another grind, I will never have any of them, this is not important for me, no enjoyment, no game, no money ^_^

A very similar thing already happened to FSDs once, with the introduction of the double-engineered ones. I eventually refitted all my ships that had a c5 FSD slot with the better modules, but only gradually, over the course of a couple of months IIRC.
I didn't. I think I own two of the preengineered c5 FSDs. The gain was just too little in the grand scheme of things, so I didn't bother.

Adding new things that overpower old things is bad design.
Good design would be to have the SCO drive have a slightly lower jump range so you as a player have to choose between max jump range or SCO.
and isnt that so? the sco i fly with has a pretty good amount of drawbacks that are neither too strong nor too weak.
No, no one said that. Adding new things is a good thing - unless it makes old things completely obsolete. That is called power creep.
thats why im glad that fdev isnt going the way of powercreeps. sco, py mk2, and the prebuilts all have their balance set somewhat well. i would tweak a thing or two but its still far from powercreep.

If SCO stuff is just another grind
so... you have no idea what you are talking about? you can buy sco with credits from high tech ports.

I don't think Elite would survive for very long using that model.
FDev is trying to monetize Elite more, I think everybody here will agree at least on that. In this light, I think Elite will survive longer when doing it rather than not doing it. Thus I predict this methods being used more and more with time.
If SCO stuff is just another grind, I will never have any of them, this is not important for me, no enjoyment, no game, no money ^_^
And here is your opportunity to enjoy the content without grind at all: give a small amount of money, and presto, you have your better gear, your content unlock, etc. You can still do the gameplay, you supported FDev, everybody is happy.

As I said to Yamiks in a comment : I don't grind, never. If I don't enjoy doing any activity, I do something else (even play another game). That's why my on foot stuff is bad (grade 3, quite no mods, weapons and suits) why I never did any thargo mission, why I haven't unlocked all engineers etc etc... If SCO stuff is just another grind, I will never have any of them, this is not important for me, no enjoyment, no game, no money ^_^
Ugh. Is he still running around basically calling people who say the grind is optional and in your head liars? I don't grind either. Granted, I don't fully enginner a new ship every week, but for what I do, I do very well with the materials I get from normal gameplay. But then I also don't panic if my G5 rolls aren't filled to 100%...

I personally only want three 5A SCO-s: one for my titanbomber (only needs grade 3 engineering at maximum, if at all), one for long-range Phantom (don't need to engineer it to G5 until I depart to an expedition) and one for my everyday multirole ship (the only one to take to G5 on day 1). Then I can move my three V1 FSD-s for mission-specific ships that could use some extra range (Orca, Clipper, can't even think of a third one) and put the legacy drives to reserve for use in mining ships and the like.

No grind, nothing gets obsoleted, three ships that need extra-performant FSD-s get them, others get a bit more performance from hand-me-downs, and only one new module needs to be G5 engineered from the get-go🙃

Some posters above make it sound like once the A-rated SCOs are released, you have to immediately refit your entire fleet with them. Which is pretty much not neccessary and very unwise to do.
I agree. If the new LSD SCO had double the jump range, it would be crazy good. The streams I watched yesterday had the new A LSD SCO only getting 2-5 ly's more per jump than a min/maxed conda. It is better, yes, it is worth upgrading and re doing the engineering, not to me for that small a gain.

We will need to see what the exact specs are when the new A rated LSD SCO is released.

I think it's fair to say Elite needs something 'new'.....is SCO it? I'm still unsure...
But I think we should probably hold the pitchforks back, at least until we have a little more info - there seem to be a whole load of assumptions being made, and you have to figure FDev are still 'tweaking'.

(Personally, I'd love to see some kind of DS9 style wormhole, with fixed entrance and exit points, taking us somewhere 'interesting' - but heyho - one thing at a time!)

I didn't. I think I own two of the preengineered c5 FSDs. The gain was just too little in the grand scheme of things, so I didn't bother.
I was in the other camp. I ran my fleet carrier to Colonia twice to get all 6 of the preengineered FSDs, and I have indeed refitted all my ships with size 5 FSDs to the V1.

so... you have no idea what you are talking about? you can buy sco with credits from high tech ports.
I'll wait to see how they balance everything and what will be available and what price. At now they're completely pure cheat (no counterpart) for jump range. And the most important to me : will NPCs get the new modules. 'cause it would make things more funny and see if the economy sim engine can resist to that.
When it comes to only me, I'm far more interested in the new new ship from latest FD stream, not the Python Mk 2 ;) (nor the module)

I'll wait to see how they balance everything and what will be available and what price.
thats a good call
At now they're completely pure cheat (no counterpart) for jump range.
current sco available have lesser jump range
When it comes to only me, I'm far more interested in the new new ship from latest FD stream, not the Python Mk 2 ;) (nor the module)
python mk2 is the new ship

It was my understanding that the A-rated SCO FSD is only available on the pre-built Python MK2. If that's the case, it won't be transferable. Only the C-rated SCO FSD's are supposed to be engineerable next week.

Was my information wrong? If not, what's the problem?

It was my understanding that the A-rated SCO FSD is only available on the pre-built Python MK2. If that's the case, it won't be transferable. Only the C-rated SCO FSD's are supposed to be engineerable next week.

Why do you think there is a problem?
I think its the implied P2W of Class A SCO drives only being available in a jumpstart package. Up until now there's nothing that money can buy you that time/effort otherwise can't. From what I've seen since 6'o'clock last night there will be all classes/sizes of SCO drives, and engineering for them, released into the game for credits/mats at the same time as the early access Python on the 7th May. Therefore there is no exclusivity in the Python Mk.II Stellar jumpstart, it's just new for everyone that day.

In the pre-built Python that has been made available early to content creators (on a test server?) the ship comes with an A rated SCO FSD.

Either:
a) that's a mistake and will be rectified when the Python Mk II appears in the live game next week
b) the ship will come with an A rated SCO FSD but that module will also be available in outfitting for all
c) the crap is going to hit the fan with a ferocity that will make the last couple of weeks seem like a kiss on the cheek

Top Bottom