The new SCO Drive and it's jump range...

There’s no need to have too many choices with FSD modules. The more jump range and the less time I can waste in supercruise the better. Think of it as a technology advancement, after a few hundred years of using the old, something better has come along and replaced it all.

It is called game balance.
If there is an improvement in one area then that gives the commander a different performance for their ship they then have a decision to make.
What is the best out of these alternatives for the role of the ship.
But with this it is just replace all the FSDs and engineer the replacement SCOs.

The decision will be among which FSD SCO to use, just like now the decision is which FSD to use, which 99% pick A rated anyways. The old FSDs are no longer needed, good riddance.

A FSDv1 is still useful. Being able to shut it off with 2 seconds of boot time so I can use the power for other things is more beneficial for a lot of my combat ships compared to flying 300-600 ls faster.

Not everything has to be a "hard decision" or a "trade off" just because this is a video game. Example: Supercruise Assist and docking modules. They should just be software installed by default on ship computers. But instead we get the "hard choice" about if its worth a size 1 slot. The answer is always NO. Having my ship auto-fly itself in the blue zone the entire way to a destination is not worth the trade-off of any other module that could fit in a size 1 slot. That slot is 100% always better served as a DSS, HRP, 1A Prospector Controller.... I fitted a SCA module the first day they came out and I thought it was fun to use but there is no build I'll ever make where module economy allows for it so I'm kind of sad that something cool was added to the game that I'll never use.

You very conveniently prove yourself wrong there 😛

Lots of people (including me) run flight assists, because we value their convenience over the tiny amount of extra survivability from yet another HRP or whatever. And my vette happily spends a size 5 module on a FSD booster so that I can SCO quickly to/from combat scenarios while maintaining enough jump range for cycling missions.
It's perfectly fine if you think those modules don't add anything for you, and don't use them. But the fact that they exist, and offer trade offs other players consider worthwile, makes the game better as a whole.

On the other hand, modules that don't offer any trade off are worthless to have in the game. Examples would be E rated modules, or thruster engineering options other than dirty/drag. The only reason an experienced player would ever buy them is because they misclicked. *) And that's what Sirius FSDs would become if the "engineerable A-rated SCO" rumours turn out to be true.

*) E rated modules serve an important function in teaching new players about upgrading. And I'm sure somebody is lying in wait behind the next planet to prove me wrong with some obscure stealth build involving Clean Drives. Don't mind them, focus on the point I'm trying to make.

Lots of people (including me) run flight assists, because we value their convenience over the tiny amount of extra survivability from yet another HRP or whatever. And my vette happily spends a size 5 module on a FSD booster so that I can SCO quickly to/from combat scenarios while maintaining enough jump range for cycling missions.
It's perfectly fine if you think those modules don't add anything for you, and don't use them. But the fact that they exist, and offer trade offs other players consider worthwile, makes the game better as a whole.

On the other hand, modules that don't offer any trade off are worthless to have in the game. Examples would be E rated modules, or thruster engineering options other than dirty/drag. The only reason an experienced player would ever buy them is because they misclicked. *) And that's what Sirius FSDs would become if the "engineerable A-rated SCO" rumours turn out to be true.

*) E rated modules serve an important function in teaching new players about upgrading. And I'm sure somebody is lying in wait behind the next planet to prove me wrong with some obscure stealth build involving Clean Drives. Don't mind them, focus on the point I'm trying to make.
For clarity, E grade Shield Boosters are fantastic. Otherwise, I agree.

I do not know why you could not have a class 2 module that does both Super Cruiser and Auto Docking.
This would be great on some of the bigger ships that have a class 2 slot that is filled (by me) with a class 1 Super Cruise or Auto Dock Module.

It was an example of a "hard video game choice" that doesn't need to be a choice. I even said that I found it useful. I then lamented that I'll never get to use this feature which someone spent time programming into the game because, to me, it is never a choice. It should just be on any ship as a given.

As someone who flies in Open that size 1 slot will never be an SCA because it could be an HRP which, if given proper engineering, adds a crazy amount of survivability for the size slot it takes. 15% all resists in a size 1 slot is always better than a module which simply lets you watch Youtube while your ship blue-throttles itself to a space station. I say all of that and I'm not even a min-maxxer, it's just a no-brainer. You can almost double the HP of a Cobra III with one Heavy-Duty Deep-Plated size 1 HRP.

JOoIxaX.png

So I think I figured out Fdev's planned grift.

the TL;DR, you will be buying the Python Mk 2 just for a module.

Fdev has said the ship will be available for purchase with credits in August. Thing is, they didn't disclose the fact the ARX store version has a module you cannot get under any other means, a Class 5A FSD with SCO.

So how much do you want to bet that the credits version of the ship will come with the standard loadout that every ship in this game gets when you buy one for credits, in this case a Class 5E FSD standard. And the Arx version will come with the 5A with SCO.

and since....
SmaIKkN.png

You will be deploying the Arx's version just to pull off the Class 5A with SCO, storing it, trashing/selling the ship, then doing it again and again till you have all the Class 5A (SCO)s you want.

And Fdev will have gotten the players to pay real money not for a ship but for a module.

slow clap Absolutely diabolical Fdev. I honestly applaud you for the cojones of actually trying this...
But let's face it, you'll probably get away with this too since this community honestly never stands up for itself.

JOoIxaX.png

So I think I figured out Fdev's planned grift.

the TL;DR, you will be buying the Python Mk 2 just for a module.

Fdev has said the ship will be available for purchase with credits in August. Thing is, they didn't disclose the fact the ARX store version has a module you cannot get under any other means, a Class 5A FSD with SCO.

So how much do you want to bet that the credits version of the ship will come with the standard loadout that every ship in this game gets when you buy one for credits, in this case a Class 5E FSD standard. And the Arx version will come with the 5A with SCO.

and since....
SmaIKkN.png

You will be deploying the Arx's version just to pull off the Class 5A with SCO, storing it, trashing/selling the ship, then doing it again and again till you have all the Class 5A (SCO)s you want.

And Fdev will have gotten the players to pay real money not for a ship but for a module.

slow clap Absolutely diabolical Fdev. I honestly applaud you for the cojones of actually trying this...
But let's face it, you'll probably get away with this too since this community honestly never stands up for itself.
Modules can only be sold off of pre-built ships to make room for other modules. You can’t use a module from a pre-built on any other ship.

Modules can only be sold off of pre-built ships to make room for other modules. You can’t use a module from a pre-built on any other ship.
Do you have a source that says this or are you assuming? I've not read anything that says that they can ONLY be sold, only that they CAN be sold for 0 credits to make room for other modules.

After having read the first 3 pages of this thread...I've used the 5C SCO FSD in a few different ships...here is how I see things...

In the last 10 years, the players have explored < 1.0% of the game world.

It appears (based on current information) that he addition of the new ships and SCO FSDs w/engineering will increase the amount of real estate in the game that the players can cover in a given amount of time, not just for exploration, but also for everyday game play...

On a daily basis
  1. The BGS players will be able to produce more influence...

2. The space truckers will be able to deliver more commodities...

3. The Explorers will be able to travel further and visit more bodies...

4. Hunters will be able to cover more ground...

5. The mission completion time will decrease...

6. Players will be able to engage with their chosen game content sooner...
One of the big time wasters in the game (IE: travel from point a to point b at medium range), will be greatly reduced and the cadence of gameplay will increase...

Money really is not the grind in this game. There comes a point were it seems to be there just to keep score.
I certainly can replace all the FSDs on my ships, but as for engineering them all...

Well time is also a cost. It costs time to unlock or engineer something and credits is a barrier depending on how high.

There’s no need to have too many choices with FSD modules. The more jump range and the less time I can waste in supercruise the better. Think of it as a technology advancement, after a few hundred years of using the old, something better has come along and replaced it all.

Yeah, supercruise travel without SCO is a lot worse imo. The old supercruise (without Supercruise Overcharge) is boring, slow, and wastes more of the player's time.

SCO should've been added years ago, because it distinguishes ED's space travel from other space sims. There would be less people who thought ED was boring.

Last edited:
So, sounds like slight travel power creep or are there truly meaningful drawbacks?
That's an interesting question, because at the moment some elements of in-Bubble game design are based around an assumption everyone has a short-ish range (like the 20ly limit / tipping point on lots of things, or the way the recommended market system works, or the way missions are generated, etc etc)

But in practice nobody has a range that short now, so the player is always OP compared to the mission design envelope.

If that gets rebalanced and the whole universe moves to an assumption you'll have 20ly range it would solve a range of sillies in the mission designs and it would also mean flitting around PP bubbles was more interesting because so many more systems would be assumed to be one hop. Therefore the average system will be better connected (have more borders with other systems.)

(Maybe the current shortcomings are more noticeable in Horizons if you play spaceside only, because there are fewer mission styles to choose from and they're mostly of an older vintage. I think it's clear SCO is there so that planetside stations become a bigger part of gameplay so that's one part of Odyssey balance fixed already.)

But the fact that stealth builds using Clean drives exist rather undermines your point, doesn't it? Also, even E-rated modules offer a trade-off by being cheap as dirt.

Top Bottom