Game Discussions The No Man's Sky Thread

On a different note, it took me until now (all these years) to learn about glitch building. I thought the weird building constructions done by other people were done by mods and such, but apparently not. So I tried a little yesterday and to see how it works. Quite interesting. Hopefully HG won't nerf it, because then the glitchers would go bananas.

OK, now you've got me. Glitch building? Whut?

OK, now you've got me. Glitch building? Whut?
I know, right? I never heard about it until yesterday.

There are videos that shows how to do it, but the simple explanation is that some of the things that you can't build in a place can be tricked to be put there. That's how you can get corridors going straight up or inside stairs or walls outside and so on. The basic principle is that a red item (my word I'm using here to depicts an item you can't place somewhere at some spot) is next to a green item (one that you can build or place at that spot) in the build menu. You bring up the green item on the menu, and quickly click the left or right button to get the red item and the place item button almost at the same time. It tricks the logic in the game to think that the red item is allowed to be put there. I managed to do some, but it's tricky since you don't always have green items next to red ones.

And by using some of the ornamental pieces and stuff, like the pyramid, you can get things in odd angles.

Here are some examples of glitch building
85C87255BAF0457857D5AEB8CF7A011E190EC728

The floor is in an angle. The power door is upside down (floor that it's upside down). Inside floor with doors being outside. Inside stairs being outside.

So, I thought I'd do some catching up in NMS this weekend so fired it up. I was parked in the Anomaly, which was convenient as I also had enough to buy one of the eggs. :)

Everything seemed normal while at the anomaly, but when I flew out and back down to the planet, everything ground to a halt. I must have been getting 2FPS at most. I've now tested this a few times (though using a portal to get back to the planet), and it is the same every time. I have never had these problems before - has anyone else had issues recently? No other VR game has issues, it is just NMS. And when the issue starts, CPU and GPU are nowhere near maxed - CPU is generally below 30%, with the GPU around 80%. The GPU temperature also shows that it isn't working very hard (it'll max out at around 86C when I benchmark it).

I've played with all the settings to no avail too. Which is odd, as for all my other VR games I've been steadily increasing the settings as my system is now watercooled (for E: D I can run it at 170% Steam SS, and this is with an Odyssey+).

Any suggestions welcome. As I seem to have got sucked into Farscape recently, I'd really quite like to get hold of one of those living ships! :D

Any suggestions welcome. As I seem to have got sucked into Farscape recently, I'd really quite like to get hold of one of those living ships! :D

Not had the specific issues you've mentioned, but I have had regular freezes (usually when heading to a planet) - to the point where I now jump in and out of my ship every time I do anything to make sure my save is as recent as I can get it. It's something that happened a few patches ago but they fixed - now it's back.

I run about 25 mods on my PC version though, so I assumed it was related to that.

So I think it was the 170% SS setting. Though I did double-check that NMS was only set to 100%, it seems that the application setting didn't override the global setting. I put it back to 100% everywhere and NMS runs ok now. I need to play with the settings some more, though, as it looks awful.

Still, I've got a void egg now. Though I might have to play in pancake mode if it involves much space flying - I really cannot stand VR ship flying in NMS.

Are there any known plans to support controllers in VR? If I could use my XBox controller while flying, that would pretty much resolve my issues with NMS currently. I'll keep checking out the updates, but until I can hatch my void egg I doubt I'll be playing much. I can't seem to bring myself to play outside VR much anymore (or when I do, it is on the console, and I don't have NMS on that).

Are there any known plans to support controllers in VR? If I could use my XBox controller while flying, that would pretty much resolve my issues with NMS currently. I'll keep checking out the updates, but until I can hatch my void egg I doubt I'll be playing much. I can't seem to bring myself to play outside VR much anymore (or when I do, it is on the console, and I don't have NMS on that).
Its the bane of my NMS play. I dislike the ship control so much it puts me off playing and yeah, I don''t like playing it 2D either now. VR has spoilt me for a lot of games now.
Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be any plan to introduce gamepads for VR but I will keep hoping

I just got mine today... the day when it hits that no mans sky is elite dangerous...

take off one point for copying elite dangerous, add 5 for actually being built.

• What it took was realising the cost for antimatter is really cheap, and picking up a mission that was in another system, and not giving up this time. They made it seem like it was really special and exotic from the old tutorials.
  • When you add up all the pieces, its exactly the same as what we do today in elite but with space legs and of course more things to do. Good luck frontier. Infinite rng planets, supercruise, mission boards, coriolis stations, exploration (that rewards more than a table of random figures and rp), credits, tagging, its all there. Im sure they were inspired by elite, but in contrast they've actually done it.
  • The status quo dismissal of the flight model means that people use a hotas and dont know about kbm flight. I bet pvp people don't have a problem with nms?. It makes sense, because when you use a joystick, the act of flying is literally a different thing to moving a mouse cursor in and out of a circle, and the first time you really need control in nms is probably combat, hence the stressful experience and the "the flight model sucks in nms" comment. Same with docking in elite dangerous.
Wow. If you do it today like i did, the years of QOL fall into place and make sense too. Its just a shame about the filthy hipster theme they picked.

Makes sense why sean murry is an elite fanboy on twitter.

ps. I was thinking that space legs would be more like a realised version of freelancer + some percentage of star citizen. Might have missed the mark completely. Adjusting speculation accordingly. Also if frontier return the tribute and copy nms for space legs.. should be amazing, just do the usual adjustment inceasing for aliens and decreasing for skeleton barely finished and non integrated features.

Last edited:
I just got mine today... the day when it hits that no mans sky is elite dangerous...

take off one point for copying elite dangerous, add 5 for actually being built.

• What it took was realising the cost for antimatter is really cheap, and picking up a mission that was in another system, and not giving up this time. They made it seem like it was really special and exotic from the old tutorials.
  • When you add up all the pieces, its exactly the same as what we do today in elite but with space legs and of course more things to do. Good luck frontier. Infinite rng planets, supercruise, mission boards, coriolis stations, exploration (that rewards more than a table of random figures and rp), credits, tagging, its all there. Im sure they were inspired by elite, but in contrast they've actually done it.
  • The status quo dismissal of the flight model means that people use a hotas and dont know about kbm flight. I bet pvp people don't have a problem with nms?. It makes sense, because when you use a joystick, the act of flying is literally a different thing to moving a mouse cursor in and out of a circle, and the first time you really need control in nms is probably combat, hence the stressful experience and the "the flight model sucks in nms" comment. Same with docking in elite dangerous.
Wow. If you do it today like i did, the years of QOL fall into place and make sense too. Its just a shame about the filthy hipster theme they picked.

Makes sense why sean murry is an elite fanboy on twitter.

ps. I was thinking that space legs would be more like a realised version of freelancer + some percentage of star citizen. Might have missed the mark completely. Adjusting speculation accordingly. Also if frontier return the tribute and copy nms for space legs.. should be amazing, just do the usual adjustment inceasing for aliens and decreasing for skeleton barely finished and non integrated features.

My biggest criticism of NMS is the flight model, its not that I can't do it because I'm used to HOTAS its that I can solo nexus wing missions in my noob ship on permadeath because its so incredibly easy. Add beams and a couple of upgrades point and click job done.

Why i can't hate this game though is every time elite does something, it keeps me like a poor orphan in a corner humbled* that i'm just getting a taste of something.

See elite somehow taught me that i like rp'ing the distress calls, i want to do that. So go in and do it and what do you get? Some stale template and literally a few thousand credits.

Meanwhile in no mans sky.. since i last checked, they've made it so you can zoom in on these with the specific navigation maps, they've increased the variety of what you get, some are empty, some are freighters, some are crashed ships which turn into loot and epic free stuff, and some are now occupied so you can.. actually help the person in distress by repairing the ship and its a meaningful experience.

Sure i don't like the setting, but really you look the fool for turning this down when we're given 2 sticks to play with over here sometimes ;P

*humbled by an all superior god master who doesn't even talk to us and when they do its in legalese, and only spend development money on skeleton built features. Sorry but its a bit true.

EDIT: There's another tipping point they created in a recent patch.. they changed the ship radar to function exactly like elites now, i think that makes it feel quite at home there.

Last edited:
NMS is a better game right now, and has been for a while. Sorry, but it's true. 🤷‍♀️

Maybe / hopefully 'New era' will change this, but because FD are giving us zero hints on what that might even be, it's impossible to stay engaged with it.

So, we'll see.

NMS is a better game right now, and has been for a while. Sorry, but it's true. 🤷‍♀️

Maybe / hopefully 'New era' will change this, but because FD are giving us zero hints on what that might even be, it's impossible to stay engaged with it.

So, we'll see.

Its true for you, its not for me. The flight model is a joke, the FPS elements are like a 90's console game and the cartoon pop in graphics can be painful to look at. The economy is irrelevant once you build an activated indium mine and the only challenge is playing permadeath. The 24 hour delays with bioship components are also a pain.

Its a fun simplistic game overall but it doesn't excel at anything in particular.

Top Bottom