Game Discussions The No Man's Sky Thread

Well at least they move around then, that is good.
I wondered if the settlements were scattered around, would be nice if they are.
I just learned that they occasionally dance in the dance hall, and sit/stand at the bar!

They're actually dancing here:
26542930E16A4C3A4A339348964E5E439FE86A8E

This guy just stepped up from the bar stool.
A395FFAE4102AF728AC307C701B6BD35434585ED

Well compared to elite, you have to get used to the fact the ship never stops moving, its always moving slightly in some direction. For space combat, i think you have to get over wanting to avoid being hit alltogether and just slow down and hope your shields hold up. As soon as something zooms under you, pull back the throttle and turn. Also helps if you have a decent weapon... the infra knife thing is great, and the shotgun is apparently good. I never really liked the pulse laser or the beam laser, haven't tried the plasma balls against a real ship but can't imagine it being that good.

The trick is when you get there's a way to be really precise with steering with it. I never played elite with kbm, but might be similar. I don't really like kbm for space ships either, but seems you can get used to it.

Also if someone knows the real tricks for it would love to hear as well, im still relatively a noob at it and also wish for a joystick. Does combat ever get hard? Are you just supposed to recharge your shields mid encounter?

The positron ejector, upgraded, is the OP weapon of choice. And in the exotic ship type, you have even extra on the hit points. I easily kill a pirate with one or two shots. Plus, since it's a scatter shot like a shotgun, you don't have to aim either.

Also, when you kill a pirate, fly through the debris for loot and an automatic recharge of the shields.

I easily take on several waves of pirates for quicksilver missions. I even once picked a fight with sentinels and kept on killing the sentinel space ships until I got bored. And I'm not even a good pewpew guy.

Sorry Console user dont use software untill editing..

PS4 OG Consoles have built in Game PVR hardware for 720p game recording, they don't use software until editing, but also I have external HDMI hardware capture unit from Avermedia with linux powered stand alone HDD hardware capture PVR box for 1080p recording when can be bothered...
Dont require or use OBS for a long time Sorry...

Thanks for your reply. I managed to find a different streaming program for the PC that works just fine with NMS. (y)

Agreed, piloting is a simple model but the effective combat technique is reverski and blatting. Missiles are often overlooked but are very, very effective.
600+ hours in NMS, never died to a pirate. Saying that, never died on the ground either. Even a c grade multitool with modules will destroy everything.

But I don't play NMS for combat. My exped finished a couple of days ago. I'll wait for the next one.

Can I ask what you are using to record video with NMS? For some reason either recording or streaming NMS using OBS is just capturing the upper-left of the video for me. It works fine in Elite but in NMS, nope, just a section. (I have tried the rescale options in OBS - record and stream - but with no effect.) ... the bottom and right of the video are missing. I only noticed this when I tried livestreaming a new NMS start ( you can see these aborted attempts on my channel here)

I am using a 4k monitor (recent upgrade from a x1440 one) and wondered if that is the issue but there is no problem with Elite - only NMS.

EDIT: SORTED - Found a different prog to stream NMS.

Thanks for your reply. I managed to find a different streaming program for the PC that works just fine with NMS. (y)

For anyone interested, I found out what was going on and fixed it so that OBS now records and streams NMS fine. It was to do with using a 4K monitor, I needed to change a setting in OBS to allow for me moving to this from my previous 2560x1440 monitor:

nms obs fixed.jpg

I don't believe it, after a couple hundred hours, an exotic finally spawned, typical blue explorer ship.
If I go to a vy'keen system, do the chances that an exotic fighter spawns instead of an explorer increase?

I don't believe it, after a couple hundred hours, an exotic finally spawned, typical blue explorer ship.
If I go to a vy'keen system, do the chances that an exotic fighter spawns instead of an explorer increase?
I don't know. I thought exotic was it's own class, and didn't have fighter, explorer, trader grade to them. The only thing i know (if it's still true) is that wealthy systems have a higher chance of spawning exotic in general. Any exotics I've had have higher plus values on all categories (jump range, weapon, shield) compared to the fighter, trader, explorer classes. It's more about finding the style of exotic you like (squid, bird, etc), and color. The inventory size doesn't matter anymore (it used to), since you can now upgrade storage over time.

I don't know. I thought exotic was it's own class, and didn't have fighter, explorer, trader grade to them. The only thing i know (if it's still true) is that wealthy systems have a higher chance of spawning exotic in general. Any exotics I've had have higher plus values on all categories (jump range, weapon, shield) compared to the fighter, trader, explorer classes. It's more about finding the style of exotic you like (squid, bird, etc), and color. The inventory size doesn't matter anymore (it used to), since you can now upgrade storage over time.
nm, my comprehension was poor.
I think storage matters, as a hauler has over 40 slots, but the my exotic has ~20
That's a lot of upgrades required.

nm, my comprehension was poor.
I think storage matters, as a hauler has over 40 slots, but the my exotic has ~20
That's a lot of upgrades required.
True. The exotic can only expand to 20, but even if the upgrades are expensive (they are!), after a while you learn how to make big bucks in NMS and it won't matter.

I had stuff collected and recipes to the high-end stuff, and made 30 mil this morning. Made 2 high-end products.

Here's a helpful chart for advanced production:
Source: https://imgur.com/IDMJ1iZ

To get the blueprints/recipes, they cost 250 nanites per, at the nexus in the back on the right side.

--edit:

Just realized the chart has the old prices. The high-end only pays around 15 mil.

Last edited:
Been playing around with the upgrades to engines, etc.
As most know, not only do you need to place the upgrades next to the base module, but arranging, and stacking them in a certain order gives more of a bonus.
This is the optimal arrangement I found to max out hyperspace jump distance and pulse engines boni.
FA23EF066C9822490E0BDB96FDDB6A3B698B2510

Been playing around with the upgrades to engines, etc.
As most know, not only do you need to place the upgrades next to the base module, but arranging, and stacking them in a certain order gives more of a bonus.
This is the optimal arrangement I found to max out hyperspace jump distance and pulse engines boni.
FA23EF066C9822490E0BDB96FDDB6A3B698B2510

I have no idea if this is good or not, but my freebie expedition explorer does 1300 with the also free upgrade modules. Good point that its a new save and doesn't look all that epic.

I think no mans sky has replaced my elite slot, at least until the content runs out. I managed to get it running on my desktop potatoe somewhat decently, the interesting variables seemed to be vram (it collapses the moment it uses more than available). Also, while it allows you to not restart the game after changing some settings, this seems to be broken and you need a restart for pretty much everything. Last time i tried was thrown off by bad performance staying after settings change when all it needed was a restart.

Also i really appreciate the development support. This kicks off a few secondary benefits, the community is generally happier because some average standard is met, and critically you aren't required to be "positive" about something by lieing to yourself. Fresh air again. Also.. what does that make us if we take it? I can't unsee this conclusion about the other 2 games.

EDIT: Forgot to mention:
- Im running at 1080p 30 capped on my desktop. Ironic that i learnt that was even possible from the ceo of another game. Works. Its fun watching the game run at about 40-60% gpu and then spiking up but never exceeding 100 as you're turning round. Rock solid 30fps.

Bonus question: What do the gek monoliths in space do? Were they there before the guardian ones?

Last edited:
I wasted a whole day's playing time trying to score a S-class heavy (large inventory) fighter. What with all the trading posts in popular places being overrun with people's bases and the much-reported salvage points being either a shuttle or a landing pad with a Gek NPC wanting you to pay full whack for a wrecked ship, it turned out both fruitless and soul-destroying. So I suppose I shall just have to instead lean how to farm nanites to upgrade my A-class one. LOL

I wasted a whole day's playing time trying to score a S-class heavy (large inventory) fighter. What with all the trading posts in popular places being overrun with people's bases and the much-reported salvage points being either a shuttle or a landing pad with a Gek NPC wanting you to pay full whack for a wrecked ship, it turned out both fruitless and soul-destroying. So I suppose I shall just have to instead lean how to farm nanites to upgrade my A-class one. LOL
Yup. It takes a lot of nanites though, but there are tricks to grind nanites. Certain things can be refined to nanites, and of course missions.

I love this game. I think it proved itself by leaving it for a few days, then coming back and having the time of my life.

NMS_2021_09_25_10_42_49_195.jpg

Not the most interesting screenshot sorry, but i got that thing just because it looked interesting, and was extra delighed when i tried to ride it planets later and turns out it goes very fast and very straight. Has a sun shade.

Exploration in no mans sky is so good. Amazingly good. The rewards are balanced so that you can keep going longer term without being oversaturated or meaningless. Ahh they must have thought about this. Still not used to space developer thinking about gameplay. Yes it works. You end up applying some art about when to use your ship vs exocraft vs mounts. You can make the experience cheezy, or not. I think what im anchoring on the most though is the odysee use case that was i left hanging on from elite. Srv exploration -> get out and actually do stuff on foot feels amazing. If you do it on hazardous planets with the right upgrades even better. Anyway, no mans sky has answered all the expectations i had for odysee.. been doing for years too i guess.

Is there a bug with exocraft summoning at the moment? You can put down the circular summoning holes everywhere, but there are specific upgrades for the carrier etc so this seems too easy.. all you need to do is carry around a few mats and you can get one anywhere and everywhere... no point in summoning them (and being prevented from doing so by the other ui).

... Because the worlds are so rich.. you have more than just one very distant and grind based goal to string forward the experience. Its worth any long term elite player who hasn't experienced this to give it a go.

... Because of the content diversity, you don't have to rush it and force overplay it, you'll get something every day regardless, not have to slog it out over a week just for one thing. ... ... Really frontier think highly of their own designs?

I find myself wanting to scan everything when i land on a planet. Its so easy to forget what i went there for in the first place. This is good. (assuming you have a bag full of maps etc and still need environment lootables).

It was a hunch before but certain, keep your main gameplay base in a carrier. Adds a dose of space to legs.

Finally i can see a reason for the art style. Without being so out there there would be no diversity, like elite. All elite did was ice vs rocks and colors...

... Because of the content diversity, you don't have to rush it and force overplay it, you'll get something every day regardless, not have to slog it out over a week just for one thing. ... ... Really frontier think highly of their own designs?
And missions aren't time based. I love that. I get interrupted quite a bit at home, and have to leave occasionally and at times come back maybe the next day. It's impossible to do in Elite.

The best part though is that if you just play without "grinding", you end up having a lot of the things you need. You can play it without having to stress how to find "that thing" constantly. It was worse in previous versions of NMS though, but they have "nerfed" the "grind", so to speak.

Finally i can see a reason for the art style. Without being so out there there would be no diversity, like elite. All elite did was ice vs rocks and colors...
Also, a reason for the art style was that they wanted to imitate the gauche/poster-paint art style on the cheesy sci-fi books from the golden era, i.e. 60's-70's. They have toned it down a bit though in recent updates. It's less cartoony now.

It wasn't me!

10B70E5B79CED9D04DBA2DFBCD56294C786AC8B6
I am glad to see I am no the only one experiencing the levitating seat bug. I can't sit anywhere without floating!

I had to resort to sitting on the floor. I like to call this: "What the hell is that thing on the countertop?"

QXQ2sLR.png

It is cozy when there is a blizzard blowing outside.

Tonight I came across one of the most mountainous planets I have ever seen. Only tall mountains and narrow valleys.

95kyWDX.png

And snow. Lots of it. This whole system is full of frozen worlds.

I am glad to see I am no the only one experiencing the levitating seat bug. I can't sit anywhere without floating!
It's a bit annoying. But did you see I managed to get my bubble jetpack working? "Pull my finger." :D

It is cozy when there is a blizzard blowing outside.

Tonight I came across one of the most mountainous planets I have ever seen. Only tall mountains and narrow valleys.

And snow. Lots of it. This whole system is full of frozen worlds.
For some reason, winter planets weirdly attract me (even though I dislike cold in real life). It's just the feeling of forever Christmas.

Currently, my settlement is on a planet with tall mountains and narrow valleys, but not ice/winter planet. It's radioactive with storms every 5 minutes! eurgh! But I've gotten it to "S" class. Maxed out production and happiness.

Top Bottom