Game Discussions The No Man's Sky Thread

Credit where credit's due. Hello Games have put a huge amount of play/content into this game, and now VR. I'm up to 65 hours on my main save and hardly touched some areas like exocraft, base building (just started), industry/agriculture. It's got something for everyone. Do it all, or just do the parts you like.

Addendum: I still haven't done a single mission from the star base mission giver. And now the main quest is needing me to "Complete contracts for the Gek: 0/2" at the mission board. As others said above, the main quest lines appear to show you the whole game, eventually. Either as the main arc, or as side quests.

Outstanding!

Flipping-A-Yeah.... I'm super happy!!!

I'm crossing my fingers, but I think (hope) that I've solved the routine crashes I was experiencing.

In the GAMEDATA folder there is a SHADERCACHE folder. Mine had 2,408 files in it, of wildly differing ages. Having renamed it away I have a new SHADERCACHE folder with zero files, and (so far) no crashes.
(SHADERCACHE still has zero files....)

Last edited:
Hi. This could be really useful however a few questions. The small refiner it does not seem to have much point. Carbon is super common or at least on the planets I am on so is there any point "refining" all the plants? Also refining oxygen into carbon?.
I guess I am missing something but not sure what use the small refiner has.
Thans
I always carry a small refinery because there are many things you can produce with it, like pure ferrite from dust, and other things. Check the recipes on the link I posted. I never leave home without the refiner and a save beacon or save point unit.

Addendum: I still haven't done a single mission from the star base mission giver. And now the main quest is needing me to "Complete contracts for the Gek: 0/2" at the mission board. As others said above, the main quest lines appear to show you the whole game, eventually. Either as the main arc, or as side quests.
A couple of things that I feel is really great with NMS and the mission system:
  • There seems to be no limit to how many missions you can load up on. Granted only a few is provided in each station, but go from station to station and pick up as many as you want
  • There's no time limit to the missions. Carry them in your log for a year, complete them while playing and doing other things, and "oops" a bunch of missions are finished
  • You can STACK!!! For instance, animal killing missions. Stack them up. Find an abandoned building. Build an exocraft. Crack and egg, pick it up, and jump into the exocraft and kill monsters until the missions are fulfilled. Get into your ship and return bunches of the same mission at once.

I have just started . Am new to the game and I guess I feel a bit like new elite players do . It is great fun but really not sure what I am doing. I can't open crates as I don't have an atlas's pass and my inventory is full and have not even a 1st clue about crafting.
I am next to a massive wrecked ship which is incredible in VR. I don't know whether to try to move on (it's only my 2nd planet) or whether it is worth going to all the points of interest with knowledge stones or what ever they are, or are they just like USSes in elite in that they keep on appearing and are not really important.
It's definitely a keeper however it is very good
The game takes time to learn all aspects, but here's the thing... don't stress. I feel more relaxed playing NMS than ED because they're no pressure. Only issue is knowing how and when to save your game.

And the other issue with NMS is... I keep on getting distracted. I do this, no that... wait this is cool, wait.. what's this? Maybe I should do this now? How about that...

For instance, I started the mission to circumnavigate a planet in the Roamer exocraft. I got to a point I thought was the south pole, but I think it might not be. The compass is kind'a weird. Anyway. Started a base there. Doing stuff. Suddenly I'm doing other stuff. And them I'm not doing the circumnavigation... yet... maybe tomorrow...

🤪

Note: I've played every iteration of NMS since the beginning. And it's getting harder to get to the "finish" line each version (fully upgraded slots, 48slot S-class + exotic, full fleet with S-class frigates and S-class freighter, reaching 4 b credits, etc). Harder in the sense of sooooo much to do. Not harder in ouch, so hard to do. It's just a longer journey with more fun things to do and more distractions.

The game takes time to learn all aspects, but here's the thing... don't stress. I feel more relaxed playing NMS than ED because they're no pressure. Only issue is knowing how and when to save your game.

Totally agree with this. NMS is like E: D in that there is no "win" - there are only goals that you can set yourself and then work towards achieving. But if you don't, or get distracted along the way, that's absolutely cool too. It's a game, and it's very comfortable in it's own skin with that.

Usually, the first goal is to know what the HELL is going on! Who am I? Where am I? What year is it? Who's the President? Why is that six-winged pterodactyl looking at me funny?

Note: I've played every iteration of NMS since the beginning. And it's getting harder to get to the "finish" line each version (fully upgraded slots, 48slot S-class + exotic, full fleet with S-class frigates and S-class freighter, reaching 4 b credits, etc). Harder in the sense of sooooo much to do. Not harder in ouch, so hard to do. It's just a longer journey with more fun things to do and more distractions.

Totally agree... I'm around 80 hours into my main (non-VR) Beyond save, and I've travelled to eight systems. Eight! Just keep being side-tracked on planets / stations / anomaly. I'm still finding new and weird stuff, and I've been playing since release.

If only E: D had been developed with such zeal as HG have done with NMS. sigh

lost a whole load of sleep to this last night after only going on for an HR at 10pm I wrapped up at 1am (I am up at 6 so feeling rough right now)

This could be my new elite (a VR game to suck my life) at least until next year.
I didn't get far as keep getting side tracked but I found a nice abandoned settlement to call home with a functionally useless but very impressive golden tower that I can climb up with some sort of Comms device at the top. I built my Stargate and the generator for it before finally going to bed. I think I learned 15 words of an alien language (from what I can tell 1 humongous oversight that I just don't get at all.... Why items we have been to already don't change colour or something when we go into scan mode. I keep going to already visited knowledge pillars and that drives me nuts).
Is it possible to learn an entire language and if so is it worth it? If those pillars are all over the planet there must be 1000s and then I guess millions of languages throughout the game? Is it worth it or mindless busy work?

I met 1 alien on the planet, could not really understand him but was.still able to trade anyway

lost a whole load of sleep to this last night after only going on for an HR at 10pm I wrapped up at 1am (I am up at 6 so feeling rough right now)

Easy done. Well done for limiting yourself to only the three hours. :LOL:

This could be my new elite (a VR game to suck my life) at least until next year.
I didn't get far as keep getting side tracked but I found a nice abandoned settlement to call home with a functionally useless but very impressive golden tower that I can climb up with some sort of Comms device at the top. I built my Stargate and the generator for it before finally going to bed. I think I learned 15 words of an alien language (from what I can tell 1 humongous oversight that I just don't get at all.... Why items we have been to already don't change colour or something when we go into scan mode. I keep going to already visited knowledge pillars and that drives me nuts).

Agreed. That's called a Holographic Comms Tower btw, and you'll make use of it later if you follow the Artemis quest.

BTW, Knowledge Stones don't change colour on the visor if you've been before, but they do light up. If it's lit up, you've already activated it. So you can usually see from a distance if it's one you've been to before.

Is it possible to learn an entire language and if so is it worth it? If those pillars are all over the planet there must be 1000s and then I guess millions of languages throughout the game? Is it worth it or mindless busy work?

There's 3 languages (4 if you count whatever it is the Atlas "speaks") and there are thousands of words in each. Gek, Korvax and Vy'keen.

I have a pre-Beyond save who knows 2000+ words, but still has gaps. It is possible, but obviously it'll take you a long time. If you learn about 100 words of each race (of the different contexts, so 'blank', 'friendship', 'aggression', 'trade', 'technology' as well as the race-specific ones - note you don't get these options with Knowledge Stones) you can get the gist of what anyone is saying to you. There are also translators you can equip that will passively learn languages by standing next to aliens having a conversation.

The trick is to talk to every single alien you meet (and meet everyone!), and ask them to teach you a word of their language. They like that. It makes them happy. Stations are a good place to pick up 10-15 words or so. But take your time and don't stress it. There's no rush for anything.

Last edited:
I tried building a new base in creative mode, and I don't think I like this new wiring / power system. Maybe I'm confused, but do I need to run wires to every light and door and whatever else needs power in my base? I'm cool with bases needing power, but I'd prefer something more simple like Subnautica's power management system vs. having to run all these wires by hand like an electrician, specially since there are no easy "auto-wire" tools that I can see.

Maybe I need to watch a YouTube video... Either that or I need to go back to playing Subnautica.

I tried building a new base in creative mode, and I don't think I like this new wiring / power system. Maybe I'm confused, but do I need to run wires to every light and door and whatever else needs power in my base? I'm cool with bases needing power, but I'd prefer something more simple like Subnautica's power management system vs. having to run all these wires by hand like an electrician, specially since there are no easy "auto-wire" tools that I can see.

Maybe I need to watch a YouTube video... Either that or I need to go back to playing Subnautica.

You can do either of these things of course - but no, you don't have to wire everything up individually. You just need ONE wire from your power grid to go to one of the buildings in your base. As long as the buildings are connected, the power will spread throughout the entire base.

If the buildings are separate (i.e. not connected by tunnels or corridors or whatever), then each one needs to be powered individually.

You can do either of these things of course - but no, you don't have to wire everything up individually. You just need ONE wire from your power grid to go to one of the buildings in your base. As long as the buildings are connected, the power will spread throughout the entire base.

If the buildings are separate (i.e. not connected by tunnels or corridors or whatever), then each one needs to be powered individually.
What if a power generator is in the base? Do I just run a wire and plug it into the wall and then everything in that base is powered?

I met 1 alien on the planet, could not really understand him but was.still able to trade anyway
The only serious use of knowing more of a language is when you're starting to get into stealing blueprints from factories. There's a whole game-chain of things to do for just that. There's a way of "cheating" while doing them without knowing the language, but it's all up to you which way you want to do it.

Anyway for factory blueprints, here's a list of steps what to do:
1. get a bunch of navigation data chips
2. find a station where the cartographer exchange it for "secure site" maps. If he only gives you "distress signal" or "alien sites" maps, go to another system's station
3. use the map chips to find factories, sometimes it will result in depot which are also useful but for other things (stealing some other good materials) and sometimes the map might take you back to a factory you've already been to or not even give you anything, then go to the next system
4. go the the factory and break down the door, you better have an upgraded boltcaster or other weapon that can take it down before the sentinels kill you, and have upgraded shield helps as well
5. go in to the console and solve the puzzle, sometimes it'll give you a random blueprint automatically (old version still some places), but most of the time you get the options to get units, nanites, or get a new blueprint
6. the blueprint now is a decision tree (two trees of blueprints in fact) and you get 2 tokens to use

And what are those blueprints good for? Well, the first tree has useful items and the second is for money making products. The highest paying modules you can produce sell for about 15 million.

...4. go the the factory and break down the door, you better have an upgraded boltcaster or other weapon that can take it down before the sentinels kill you, and have upgraded shield helps as well...

I normally get back in my ship and nuke it from above. It's the only way to be sure. And the sentinels can't do anything.

I've been playing this game for three years, and even now it still manages to surprise me with a totally "what!?" moment. :)

If you want to discover everything on your own for the first time, then don't expand the spoiler tag...

Warped into a new (Indium) system, and noticed some flying debris around the station (always my first port of call whenever I enter a new system, so I can easily get back with the portals).

Just like you find (or are guided to) haunted terminals on the planet, there are haunted stations too! No signs of life except residual gloop, and services are basically a teleporter and a limited market.

o_Oo_O

I've been playing this game for three years, and even now it still manages to surprise me with a totally "what!?" moment. :)

If you want to discover everything on your own for the first time, then don't expand the spoiler tag...
View attachment 142033

Warped into a new (Indium) system, and noticed some flying debris around the station (always my first port of call whenever I enter a new system, so I can easily get back with the portals).

Just like you find (or are guided to) haunted terminals on the planet, there are haunted stations too! No signs of life except residual gloop, and services are basically a teleporter and a limited market.

o_Oo_O
That's an abandoned starbase, isn't it? I've seen one or two in previous version(s). A bit buggy when they first came out with huge pieces of oversized debris in front of the entrance.

Talking about haunted, apparently one of my frigates have a crew of ghosts. 💀

What if a power generator is in the base? Do I just run a wire and plug it into the wall and then everything in that base is powered?

Not tried that, but yes, it should work. If it's a large prefab (i.e. one of the circular or square rooms) then wire it up to the side of the building - not the door.

If not, move the power generator outside. I use solar panels as soon as I unlock the BP, as the biofuel reactor is just nuts for resources.

Not tried that, but yes, it should work. If it's a large prefab (i.e. one of the circular or square rooms) then wire it up to the side of the building - not the door.

If not, move the power generator outside. I use solar panels as soon as I unlock the BP, as the biofuel reactor is just nuts for resources.
There's a ton of things HG could improve on these things, but considering that this mechanics just came out, I have good hopes that they'll keep on expanding and improving it.

On the note of Old Duck's mention of powering the doors, the reason they're powered now (which bugged me at first until I realized why) is to allow for motion control, pressure plates, code lock, and such.

Maybe a way to really improve the cable system though could be if they had a map screen, a base circuit screen, where you connect things (draw lines) virtually and there's no cables in the "physical" world you have to draw. :unsure:

Top Bottom