The Open v Solo v Groups thread

ryan-reynolds-but-why.gif
Why the thread was closed? Open only/duplicate.
Why open only? So Ax ships can get attacked by murder boats?

Steve

That's so unkind....
It is because the shy, but aspiring, socialites might meet like-minded individuals for a romp in the black, surely?

surely running a small emissive laser and a bunch of corrosive/autoloader multicannons against hull tanks would be a blast, right?
and surely again - it would be a literal blast for the latter, but only a figurative one for the former

surely running a small emissive laser and a bunch of corrosive/autoloader multicannons against hull tanks would be a blast, right?
and surely again - it would be a literal blast for the latter, but only a figurative one for the former
<<< definitely didn't see someone in a Clipper run around with an emissive laser and seeker missile rack around Taranis in the hour or so before it met an explosive demise

(And I don't believe shooting ships fighting the invading Titans will achieve anything to further the PX cause.)

Right, that's my contribution. I'll be hopping away from this black hole before it sucks me into it. (Just kidding, more a reference to the OP and maybe nature of the subject.)

Well, it would certainly make the war last a lot longer...
Although it was fun to hear of some PvP players, who were not (allegedly) interested in dealing with Taranis gaining the attention of an Interceptor or 2, I wonder how long they lasted against an enemy that doesn't play by the rules?

ETA: I wasn't there, so it is only hearsay - but if anyone was, and would like to comment, I'd be interested to hear the opposite 'side' of the tale.
According to syschat when I was making one of my runs;
Ganker got ganked lol

Some of the best gameloops are pvp. The unpredictability of it. Assuming both are competant, it's 1 on 1, and ships evenly matched. But that's rare.
Those that choose seal bashing are a different breed. But I get it. The thrill of actually killing a player.
Elites mechanics allow for any kind of pvp. From the most honourable to the most despotic.
Discussion about how to fix it so it's fair and wotever is old hat.
It's what it is. Unfair at times. Downright cruel.
Trying it out with a Lance engineered as meta is fun. Not clubbing seals but hunting those that do.
Trouble is it's a waiting game in supercruise.

First of all, because the modes are in the game to filter players out, not to filter (pve) content out.
IF you want the pure pvp Elite, go play CQC, otherwise, PVP is purely optional in ED

Second, there is this too

View attachment 386695
Well, to be fair. They did mention powerplay and the new Python is made with PVP in mind.
You can't do that in private and solo.

Hopefully, they will give us reasons to engage in PVP so every encounter won't be considered a grief. I mean the whole reason PVP exists in games is because of conflicting goals from either side. Powerplay, Community Goals, BGS between groups. Those are great reasons for PVP.
Killing people for no reason and removing the reasoning created a toxic environment within the community.

Just because people don't want PVP doesn't mean we shouldn't have PVP.

If someone gets a thrill killing an unarmed player (AX missiles and Torps arnt weapons), then it shows just how little class and skill they have.
Couldn't agree more.
I was just attempting to get into the heads of these so called pvpers.
Why they choose to target those who clearly cannot fight back. Ax, haulers, noobs, bgs runners, explorers,etc.
We've all said time and time again that having just open would populate the game. Which it would. But as long as these lesser folk are allowed to ply their trade, that's just never going to happen. And I get that.
Having the mechanics ingame to make ganking/griefing almost impossible is long overdue.
But please let's not stain the reputation of pvpers with just a few weak minded feeble callous numpties who choose to bash seals.
Pvp hones flying skills just like ax combat does. Only more so because unlike ax combat or indeed any npc combat, pvp is totally unpredictable.
Fdev should do something. It's obvious to me that bringing back cmdrs is paramount.
That one rebalance would bring back 1000s of em.
"Light em up" like in that other game. Relentless bounty pursuits till the offender is behind bars busting rocks 🪨 with an ever increasing sentence measured in weeks and months not just hours to offset their reoffending twatishness.

Last edited:
Couldn't agree more.
I was just attempting to get into the heads of these so called pvpers.
Why they choose to target those who clearly cannot fight back. Ax, haulers, noobs, bgs runners, explorers,etc.
We've all said time and time again that having just open would populate the game. Which it would. But as long as these lesser folk are allowed to ply their trade, that's just never going to happen. And I get that.
Having the mechanics ingame to make ganking/griefing almost impossible is long overdue.
But please let's not stain the reputation of pvpers with just a few weak minded feeble callous numpties who choose to bash seals.
Pvp hones flying skills just like ax combat does. Only more so because unlike ax combat or indeed any npc combat, pvp is totally unpredictable.
Fdev should do something. It's obvious to me that bringing back cmdrs is paramount.
That one rebalance would bring back 1000s of em.
"Light em up" like in that other game. Relentless bounty pursuits till the offender is behind bars busting rocks 🪨
At the same time there are players who sympathize with the Thargoids and try to defend them. Its totally okay and Fdev even addressed this at one point. That doesnt make those PVPers bad people. The same goes for Explorers and Haulers moving Data and Cargo for the BGS.

A lot of the community misunderstands the mechanics of the game.
For example: Crime and Punishment that was reworked several years ago makes total sense if there was only one mode available. Except the community was expecting for it to punish the "griefers" accounts. When it wasn't greifing at all. They simply misunderstood the game.
That being said, there are people out there who just want to cause people trouble. But if the game were properly balanced, you couldn't tell them apart from the enemy you were fighting against anyway.

For example: Crime and Punishment that was reworked several years ago makes total sense if there was only one mode available. Except the community was expecting for it to punish the "griefers" accounts. When it wasn't greifing at all. They simply misunderstood the game.
And the instant it went live the forums were beset by the tormented screams of people who never played in open and found that a 100cr assault bounty for failing to check their fire in a hi-res no longer expired after 10 minutes.

At the same time there are players who sympathize with the Thargoids and try to defend them. Its totally okay and Fdev even addressed this at one point. That doesnt make those PVPers bad people. The same goes for Explorers and Haulers moving Data and Cargo for the BGS.

Well of course, but considering there are no consequences for that "sympathizing", its again immersion breaking. What in-game consequences SHOULD be? Well considering humankind is in somewhat total war with implacable enemy, who might consider wiping out humans everywhere, proper name for tharg sympathisers would be enemy of humankind. Which would basically mean kill on sight orders, kill anyone harbouring them and offering comfort&protection and so on. Even most backwards systems should be hostile towards Thargoid friends, no station should allow docking, any carrier belonging to them or offering services would again be outlawed and denied services.

I mean in-game setting is such that said behauviour would go beyound normal criminal behauviour.

Well of course, but considering there are no consequences for that "sympathizing", its again immersion breaking. What in-game consequences SHOULD be? Well considering humankind is in somewhat total war with implacable enemy, who might consider wiping out humans everywhere, proper name for tharg sympathisers would be enemy of humankind. Which would basically mean kill on sight orders, kill anyone harbouring them and offering comfort&protection and so on. Even most backwards systems should be hostile towards Thargoid friends, no station should allow docking, any carrier belonging to them or offering services would again be outlawed and denied services.

I mean in-game setting is such that said behauviour would go beyound normal criminal behauviour.
Have you ever seen the movie Contact with Jodie Foster? You know the guy in White? Played by Gary Buseys kid? Its kind of like that. :ROFLMAO:

I don't care for the reasoning behind killing cmdrs. Only that once that line is crossed your flagged until retribution has been served. Flagged in the galmap for all to see.
Exceptions player groups, and obviously bounty hunters.
Bgs is a gray area. Would need work.
Permutations!
Devils in the detail.

Last edited:
Well to reiterate the point of my thread that got closed:
What if they made Titans only able to be damaged in Open Play?
It's a trick question!

Everyone knows by now that damaging the Titans in Open can be buggy!

If it were Open only, the Titans wouldn't be destroyed!

PX CMDR detected!

Well, to be fair. They did mention powerplay and the new Python is made with PVP in mind.
You can't do that in private and solo.

They said Mk2 is balanced around PVP to compete with FDL and Mamba. We will see how good it will be.
However, FDL and Mamba are first and foremost Combat ships - lots of CMDR that have nothing to do with pvp are using them in pve.

Again, Let's not forget the Elite game is PVE, PVP being purely optional - there is not a single thing achieved in terms of games objectives by pvp alone.
Sure, it's fun to explode someone else' ship, even more fun if you extract some salt in the process, but it is not a game objective - the game doesnt ask nor does require you to do that.

About PP20 they said: "we are going to give people more reasons to engage in PVP in PP20
Currently PP marks CMDR ships as enemies if they belong to an opposing Power. And that's the only incentive to engage in PP related PVP, but it simply does not matter because PP is not won by PVP, but purely by PVE.

I'm quite curious how PP20 will work, but i would not hype myself over "more reasons to engage in PVP in PP20" - because Elite is a PVE game with optional PVP.
That's how it is 🤷‍♂️

Hopefully, they will give us reasons to engage in PVP so every encounter won't be considered a grief. I mean the whole reason PVP exists in games is because of conflicting goals from either side. Powerplay, Community Goals, BGS between groups. Those are great reasons for PVP.
Killing people for no reason and removing the reasoning created a toxic environment within the community.

Nope, the whole reason PVP exists in Elite is because after they created the PVE game that is Elite, they decided to allow people to kill each other for no reason whatsoever.

PVP is completely disconnected from the game:
  • PowerPlay is about merits gained through PVE - no objective to kill other commanders, the objectives are done by filling pve buckets counted on a weekly basis.
  • Community Goals are about doing PVE tasks (trade, exploration, pve combat), nothing to do with other commanders.
  • BGS has nothing to do with PVP, it's designed as asynchronous competitive playground where objectives are achieved by filling PVE buckets, counted over a daily basis.

None of the above are reasons to do PVP, and if you engage in PVP you will not be able to achieve your objective in PP (no merits), you will get no contributions to CG nor any contributions to BGS.

It just seems to me that you are mistaking opportunities* for reasons and/or game objectives.

As i said, i'm really curious how they will pull off PP20, but even tho Zack said "reasons" i do think they will actually add opportunities, not reasons.
Ofc, unless they make PP20 to progress only by killing opposing commanders - which will turn PP20 into a pure PVP feature and i wouldnt mind that at all, but i dont think it will happen.

*(for optional PVP between likeminded commanders)

new Python is made with PVP in mind.
I gathered it was marketed as being a combat ship that could match the FDL - you are aware that the FDL isn't only used for PvP play, surely?
Just because people don't want PVP doesn't mean we shouldn't have PVP.
The ones who want it have it, the ones who don't, don't bother...
I doubt that PP 2.0 is going to change that.

Top Bottom