The Open v Solo v Groups thread

Another strength of the telepresence idea is that criminals could be slowly locking themselves out of civilised space- the more crimes you do, the less restart points in close proximity (unless you are near an anarchy) you have. So couple that with a stronger C+P (by reducing engineering and adjusting other areas) destruction would restart you further and further away.

I'm going to drop a link to my most recent suggestion here:

Because it does "bridge modes" and addresses one of my biggest reasons for playing in Open and my biggest complaint about playing in Solo. As with most suggestions, I don't expect anything to come of it, but at least I enjoyed the brainstorming process! I'm sure the "nah" crowd will poopoo the idea in short order, but maybe someone will also find it inspiring. 🤷‍♂️

I can't see a problem with a telepresence idea either tbh.

It would perhaps help some other gameloops.

This idea depends on CMDRs being mode locked to Open should they commit PvP bounties.

With telepresence, bounty hunters could telepresence into system security ships thus removing the need to actually "find" their marks. Ofc system response would still depend on security level, with a cool down if the telepresence er, presence was lost.

Well if I was writing a space game, I'd be leveraging telepresence so 'you' can be beamed all over.:D
I hate telepresence as it's currently represented. I'd be more open to it if we were flying drones (like IRL drones) or if we were telepresencing into a physical body - be it an android or clone like the TV show Dark Matter. The whole "project a hologram into a large physical cockpit" feels like a huge gimmick.

I also am not a fan of galactic fast-travel. This feature is available as a "late game" addition in X4 Foundations (galactic teleport), and I purposefully do NOT unlock this ability. In-system teleport is very handy and doesn't break my immersion, but being able to beam anywhere in the galaxy instantly breaks the whole "space is big" feel. It leaves me with the glaring question, "Why are we even flying spaceships? Hauling should be automated, and data exchange done by telepresence."

All that said, I do support the limited use of wormholes and jump gates to bridge certain sections of the galaxy together, so I'm not opposed to all fast travel, just the omnipresent "I'm God with instant access to the entire galaxy" version.

I remain of the opinion that if space is too big, literally make it smaller. Let the Thargoids loose to totally wipe out all but the inner core systems in the Bubble, keeping the three super power capitals and a dozen or so surrounding major (billion+ population) systems, along with the "old worlds". Let everything else become a haunted debris field. That'll compress trade routes and supply chains and battle fronts, so that players need not travel far to find action and lots of other players. Of course I know that most people would hate this idea, but I can dream 🤗

I hate telepresence as it's currently represented. I'd be more open to it if we were flying drones (like IRL drones) or if we were telepresencing into a physical body - be it an android or clone like the TV show Dark Matter. The whole "project a hologram into a large physical cockpit" feels like a huge gimmick.

I also am not a fan of galactic fast-travel. This feature is available as a "late game" addition in X4 Foundations (galactic teleport), and I purposefully do NOT unlock this ability. In-system teleport is very handy and doesn't break my immersion, but being able to beam anywhere in the galaxy instantly breaks the whole "space is big" feel. It leaves me with the glaring question, "Why are we even flying spaceships? Hauling should be automated, and data exchange done by telepresence."

All that said, I do support the limited use of wormholes and jump gates to bridge certain sections of the galaxy together, so I'm not opposed to all fast travel, just the omnipresent "I'm God with instant access to the entire galaxy" version.

I remain of the opinion that if space is too big, literally make it smaller. Let the Thargoids loose to totally wipe out all but the inner core systems in the Bubble, keeping the three super power capitals and a dozen or so surrounding major (billion+ population) systems, along with the "old worlds". Let everything else become a haunted debris field. That'll compress trade routes and supply chains and battle fronts, so that players need not travel far to find action and lots of other players. Of course I know that most people would hate this idea, but I can dream 🤗
This is what I mean, for example the SLFs have a pilot in them even on remote, for me what if I was downloading into that body?

Death has no meaning because the exploded part is just the physical part, and explains things better than on foot death where somehow you get back to your ship.

And then you can explore what thousands others had explored before?

And then you can explore what thousands others had explored before?
Huh? If you're talking about exploring "wiped out" systems, yes, that would be an option. The game already has a limited set of debris fields as POIs in certain systems. Imagine replacing stations with debris fields, planetary outposts with abandoned bases (kinda like the INRA bases), all while Thargoids patrol those systems. I'm talking Cylons vs the Twelve Colonies level of destruction and occupation, which for the brave would make for some interesting exploration.

Frontier won't ever do this, but imagine for a moment if they did. I bet Elite Dangerous would make headline news in all the gaming publications, and for every person who rage-quits, a dozen more would return to experience something totally epic and apocalyptic. But like I said, it'll never happen.

Yeah, it's a tough one to solve.

Player death should be a challenge but not punishing in this type of game.

Having insurance mitigates the loss, but being unable to insure data or cargo makes it punishing.

Ought there be a death minigame, if you "win" there's less loss (e.g. >95% insurance)
In terms of exploration data at least, i think it'd be pretty cool to have an option to send it in remotely via one of the screens in your ship directly to universal cartographics, with a penalty of say -10% total value, and of course the downside that your data doesn't give you any rep because it's not sold at a station. Hell, even give it a 1 hour delay on the payout so that if some nerd did fly without a rebuy then they can't just worm out of it with a quick sell while they get blended by a plasma accelerator.

At least this way people who have spent a tonne of time gathering data have a way to benefit without fear of loss. This makes sense to me simply because why lose it when the person who killed you can't pick up an item that contains the data? it's just... lost. Explorers would like this, and i'm sure pirates would like this because then they know if they gank someone, then at least the data portion was something the victim coulda saved and that's entirely on the victim meaning there's one less thing people can abusively DM them about, or moan about on the forums.

I like the idea of making the Thargoids progressively more powerful and aggressive, the further you go from the bubble. It would limit the size of the accessible galaxy without actually setting a hard limit.

But explorers wouldn't be happy about it...

I like the idea of making the Thargoids progressively more powerful and aggressive, the further you go from the bubble. It would limit the size of the accessible galaxy without actually setting a hard limit.

But explorers wouldn't be happy about it...
Basically all of those ideas are well something that if I said what they are I would be censored. Why have massive galaxy where you cannot go and explore?

Top Bottom