The Open v Solo v Groups thread

It was kind of in jest, but how would a ejection system work? Original elite you could scoop escape pods? Can't see that working in this version?
Well if I was writing a space game, I'd be leveraging telepresence so 'you' can be beamed all over.

In my imaginings I'd love to make it like an APEX in that it has a disposable FSD that burns out after X jumps, or that you can call one of your ships as a rescue ship (and you have to survive using whats in the pod). So when you go boom, you auto jump to a safe location, and then have x jumps before you are 'stuck'- subject to maybe experimentals. So the pod is a bit like the SRV, just an SRV that is a disposable shuttle :D

Yeah, it's a tough one to solve.

Player death should be a challenge but not punishing in this type of game.

Having insurance mitigates the loss, but being unable to insure data or cargo makes it punishing.

Ought there be a death minigame, if you "win" there's less loss (e.g. >95% insurance)

Ok, today's debate.

Open only, but it's Ironman. Who's in?

Assuming networking was up to snuf, this would be my ideal mode.

With the current unbalanced PVE/PVP? And lacking C&P?

No thanks.

Since the Odyssey release, my CMDR (who essentially never leaves Open) has been Rescue Rangered more because I've accidentally walked him into mineral extractor beams than from all other causes combined.

I'd have him sue for lack of proper warning signs, guard rails, or safety systems, but C&P isn't fleshed out well enough for that!

It was kind of in jest, but how would a ejection system work? Original elite you could scoop escape pods? Can't see that working in this version?

The manual says were microjumped to safety. I would like there to be a chance for this to fail. It should probably only function at all for Pilots Federation members (or elite operatives of other factions) in good standing, otherwise they'll just gun down or recycle any pod without a proper IFF on their end...though extending this further one could have a false IFF...

Assuming the microjump system failed or was not present, a pod, if one ejected in time, is just jettisoned, and could be scooped.

Of course, if you scoop my CMDR's pod, he's going to try to kill your CMDR and take your ship, or failing that, make his way to environmental control or engineering and shut down life support or overload your power plant.

Or you make it like X Wing and its up to you to eject just in case your ejection system fails (or have a hardened escape pod / use your SLF as a lifeboat).

But again, its far too late in EDs life for it to be a useful and interesting thing- IMO.
Isn't self destruct = eject, just with a timer?

Of course, if you scoop my CMDR's pod, he's going to try to kill your CMDR and take your ship, or failing that, make his way to environmental control or engineering and shut down life support or overload your power plant.
If I was to scoop your commander, I wouldn't open his escape pod.

And if we could scoop other commanders pods, we could keep them out of the game by never turning it in?

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator

And if we could scoop other commanders pods, we could keep them out of the game by never turning it in?
Exactly.

Players with altCMDRs could grief players indefinitely if the escape pod had to be handed in before its occupant could play again.

Or that you could jump to solo and have to get back to the nearest station somehow instead, like a mega survival mode but on foot / SLF scale.

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
It is, I think the problem was that FD kind of left the ejection thing a bit nebulous :D
Being "dead", i.e. going through the destruction / rebuy flow is not "playing", it's more like logging back in.

If other players could interfere with that flow it'd likely just end up wasting time.

Telepresence of that kind would lead to "I want to log in at any ship I own" fast travel demands.
And you could, but it would be limited to your 'bodies'- if you wanted that you'd need a module that carries them inside your ship. Each time you die, you need a new one- SRV style.

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
And you could, but it would be limited to your 'bodies'- if you wanted that you'd need a module that carries them inside your ship. Each time you die, you need a new one- SRV style.
I'd rather the game stuck to the "one CMDR" philosophy rather than trivialising the size of the galaxy like that.

My CMDR would never lock himself in a box that could only be opened from the outside.

Bug-out bag, suicide vest, spare sidearm, 5 ton jack, and extra candy would be standard in any pod on any of my CMDR's vessels, were it possible to stock them.

If none of the mechanisms behind the current systems were fleshed out. This wouldn't be any worse than just losing the CMDR in an iron man mode though.

I'd rather the game stuck to the "one CMDR" philosophy rather than trivialising the size of the galaxy like that.
True, but its really about making everything consistent and FD have done a poor job really after starting out strongly.

In the end its about making the game feel 'whole'. For example you could make distances 'big' by allowing CMDRs to have digital packet 'spaces' for data / upgrades- but the further out you go the harder it is to transmit all that. Or that you have to be close to some form of NAV beacon to be transmitted: if not the last time you docked will be your 'backup'.

This would also make on foot stuff less gamey in a way when you 'die' / fall over which I find jarring.

A la "Paranoia!"???

Send in the clones...

I like Rubbernukes telepresence idea to mitigate it there could be a cost attached, to doing it so you can just beam about willynilly as it were. Maybe having a timer before you can do it again would also help.

After all the galaxy size is trivial unless you want to take your ship to x system then it becomes a mission. As ED stands today i can multicrew to someone at Beagle Point without any problems ao its already in just needs expanding.

I like Rubbernukes telepresence idea to mitigate it there could be a cost attached, to doing it so you can just beam about willynilly as it were. Maybe having a timer before you can do it again would also help.

After all the galaxy size is trivial unless you want to take your ship to x system then it becomes a mission. As ED stands today i can multicrew to someone at Beagle Point without any problems ao its already in just needs expanding.
So we'd all really just be Duane Dibbley???

Top Bottom