The Oswald-Eugene Counter

Has anyone uploaded any parks that have a lot of changes to the terrain? So far we've only seen the percentages represented on flat maps.

I had a look at the workshop but there is not so much at the moment (only flat terrain).
So i did something from the tutorial and there you start with a park with 1 attraction, i played a little bit and placed another attraction / some shops / toilets en some scenery and that one is running at 15% now.

Source: https://imgur.com/a/ODKlvDY

I had a look at the workshop but there is not so much at the moment (only flat terrain).
So i did something from the tutorial and there you start with a park with 1 attraction, i played a little bit and placed another attraction / some shops / toilets en some scenery and that one is running at 15% now.

Source: https://imgur.com/a/ODKlvDY
Looks decent...I'm hoping it's not too bad on the PS4. It's obviously quite limiting but I guess it's there for a reason.

Looks decent...I'm hoping it's not too bad on the PS4. It's obviously quite limiting but I guess it's there for a reason.

Yes its their for a reason, but hopefully they can stretch it a little bit with a update. Every 10% we are getting extra would be nice !! :)
Because when i load up a park at 99% my PS4 Pro doesn't give a .... So i think they can give us a little update gift :) because they didn't told us earlier ;)

Last edited:
As I suggested in another thread, it would be super cool if the development team could allow next gen console players (PS5 and series X) the option to TURN OFF 4K to get a much higher Oswald counter. A lot of players don't care about 4K, and would be happy with a bigger, more detailed park in 1080. How hard would it be to program such an option? Because as it stands, I hear you'll only get 33% more park on the new generation consoles due to 4K. An option to allow this would be awesome.

At first i was a little bit disappointed about the oswald meter and yes it would be better if we didn't have it.
And yes they had to announce it but they didn't so allot of people are angry as i completely understand !!

But i just played a little bit and fired up some parks from the workshop and i'm really happy with it, i think allot of people are going to build some nice little parks with some good details. And with the Next Gen we can double the size of the park / details i think (getting the PS5 next week). And at 99% there are no FPS drops (didn't see it) and still runs flawless.

Here are some pictures with a percentage (I'm on an PS4 Pro)

This park is at 99% Source: https://imgur.com/a/LWj2pvn/

This park is at 82% Source: https://i.imgur.com/z3PCzwY.jpg

This park is at 60% Source: https://i.imgur.com/gLWQJTq.jpg
LOL even the park guests wouldn't pay to go in there. It's mostly tree's haha. Look at all the space around it unused.. People are trying to make the best from what they're now lumbered with thanks to the very smart but sly people at Frontier.. When PC users of the game say its bad.. IT'S BAD.
So now not only do you have to manage your money, management and guests.. you have to manage a stupid counter.
Then you see games like GTAV, Fortnite, Spiderman with amazing graphics and huge maps.
I think Theme park on the PS1 was bigger and think of the time that was released or JP Operation Genesis.

There isn't really any excuse and they're playing it cool because now they have the majority of peoples money.. Not mine though as I cancelled the pre order and was refunded.. I'm going to buy spiderman miles moral tomorrow.

Was able to play a little bit of the tutorial on the Xbox Series X and holy hell does it look good. I also played the game on PC with a pretty high end rig and it looks just as good and dare I say a little better. Pretty impressed. Sorry I know this is wrong thread for this comment, but figured we could all use some positive comments with Frontier dropping the horrid news like they did with the limits and yet they are still silent about it. Interesting.

Then you see games like GTAV, Fortnite, Spiderman with amazing graphics and huge maps.
I think Theme park on the PS1 was bigger and think of the time that was released or JP Operation Genesis.
That's so true. Having played games like Spiderman on PS4 and The Last Of Us 2, which are both visually demanding, I can't fully understand why this limit is in place. I absolutely get that a console can't compete with a PC, but I could never afford a decent gaming PC, but I also don't want to have to compromise on something as huge as this. Being told to just delete unwanted items when the bar reaches 100% kinda defeats the entire point of having the freedom to build a park. I dunno, I haven't got the game just yet and I know I will, it's just a little deflating to have not known about this prior.

WingardiumLevicoaster

Volunteer Moderator
That's so true. Having played games like Spiderman on PS4 and The Last Of Us 2, which are both visually demanding, I can't fully understand why this limit is in place. I absolutely get that a console can't compete with a PC, but I could never afford a decent gaming PC, but I also don't want to have to compromise on something as huge as this. Being told to just delete unwanted items when the bar reaches 100% kinda defeats the entire point of having the freedom to build a park. I dunno, I haven't got the game just yet and I know I will, it's just a little deflating to have not known about this prior.
Simulation builders are different to those types of games. You load an entire simulation in one go rather than just what you need at the time on the screen. Every item you place has a performance hit, sone types more than others. With Planet Coaster on PC for example, on any PC, you will eventually hit the ceiling on what you can place within the simulation and the park will freeze up.

Simulation builders are different to those types of games. You load an entire simulation in one go rather than just what you need at the time on the screen. Every item you place has a performance hit, sone types more than others. With Planet Coaster on PC for example, on any PC, you will eventually hit the ceiling on what you can place within the simulation and the park will freeze up.
That's fair, thanks for explaining!

This is the reason. The game is simulating all the parks guests, the rides and a bunch of other things like workers and such. It is demanding and those base consoles (PS4/Xbox One) have the horrible Jaguar CPU's that was outdated when they came out in 2013, they just cannot handle that much on the simulation side of things.

The only thing I was wish is that the Cap for the limit would be a bit higher for all consoles. I hope the guys at Frontier see this and maybe consider it so the making of dream parks is a bit more possible even if its not the entire thing you planned but majority!

LOL even the park guests wouldn't pay to go in there. It's mostly tree's haha. Look at all the space around it unused.. People are trying to make the best from what they're now lumbered with thanks to the very smart but sly people at Frontier.. When PC users of the game say its bad.. IT'S BAD.
So now not only do you have to manage your money, management and guests.. you have to manage a stupid counter.

There isn't really any excuse and they're playing it cool because now they have the majority of peoples money.. Not mine though as I cancelled the pre order and was refunded.. I'm going to buy spiderman miles moral tomorrow.

YES! Couldn't have said that any better! In my mind I keep thinking, there's an entire property to allow us to build to our wildest imaginations, but the counter limits us only to create half or even 1/4 of what we want to build. What is the point of giving us that much space only to use so little? That practically defeats the purpose of what Planet Coaster was intended to be.

It was smart of you to return the game. I have it pre-ordered but haven't installed the game, because I am still trying to figure out whether I should play it or not. With the amount of problems in the game so far besides the counter, are a bunch of bugs/glitches. TBH, the Miles Morales version of Spiderman is way better than Planet Coaster. And to say that the next-gen consoles would add 30% or more to the counter is ridiculous. Your marketing/capitalist decision may be smart, but I ain't about to spend nearly half a grand just to get 30% on a counter. You not fooling me. I'll wait till to see next week where it'll go. If by the end of next week, there's no improvement or there's more casualties to the game, I'm refunding the game and my money back. Planet Coaster, PAY ME MY MONEY!!

Since Frontier and no one from the community staff is willing to come into this thread and tell us a bit more about how this all works and how it works with the Workshop when you have people that play on base consoles (PS4/Xbox One), Mid-Gen Consoles (Xbox One X/PS4 Pro) and Next Gen consoles (Xbox Series X/PS5) I guess it is up to us the community to share information that should have been shared by Frontier. So here is what I found on how this works and how it works on all these different versions:

We all know that there is a limit on what you can build called the Oswald-Eugene counter. In the "Settings" menu for the game, there is a tab for this counter. In this menu, you are able to set when the game alerts you about hitting the limit. The default from memory was 80%, but you can change it to whatever you like. So if you want to be notified when you are at 50% for your console, you can set it to that. You can also set at what percentage the game will remind you. For example, if you set it to 60% and reminders at 5% you will get notified when you hit the 60%. Then you will further reminders when you hit 65%, 70%, 75% etc. The limit from what I can tell is based not on the amount of RAM your console has, but more on the CPU/GPU. The smallest amount of building you can do will be on the Xbox One/PS4, then the next bump is on Xbox One X/PS4 Pro and obviously the biggest is on the Xbox Series X/PS5.

One of the other questions that has been raised and not answered is how does the Workshop work with PS4/PS5 and Xbox One/Xbox Series X players? When you go into the same Settings menu for the Oswald-Eugene counter when playing on the Series X or PS5 you get an "additional" notification. This warning tells you that you reached a limit that whatever you are creating will no be sharable with Base console owners. For example, if you are planning to share a park in the Workshop and you "pass" this current gen limit then your park will only be shareable with other owners that have a Next Gen console. It does not tell you what this limit is however...so you would think if your are on PS5/Xbox Series X it would say "As soon as you hit 50%" your creation can only be shared with other Next Gen owners. So as you make a park, at a certain point you will get this warning and you wont be able to share it with current gen owners on the workshop. I have not figured out if it is in the shop will people still be able to view it and tell them this park is too big for your current system or how it communicates this in the shop.

There is still nothing that I have found that tells you how much a ride, scenery piece or anything else "cost" towards this limit. So if you are hitting close to the limit there is nothing that tells you "If you add this Ride it will cost you XXX amount towards the limit".

Since I don't think anyone from the Dev team will read this or pitch in to help us figure out this stuff if anyone finds something that helps us determine the cost values it would be help in the planning stages of our parks.

NOTE: I hope I am not coming across as rude or anything like that towards Frontier. I just am amazed that they have not bothered to chime in other than "Oh on the night before launch, we implemented limits". I do hope and welcome anyone from Frontier to talk about this stuff and give us more insights to how it all works.

Lastly....They did do an amazing job on the game. Aside from the limit issue, which I have not encountered, but really have not pushed anything yet...the game, the performance, the control set up, UI is just so well done and the parts of the new Tutorial that I have been able to complete is executed extremely well. It is an amazing thing they have made for consoles.

Since Frontier and no one from the community staff is willing to come into this thread and tell us a bit more about how this all works and how it works with the Workshop when you have people that play on base consoles (PS4/Xbox One), Mid-Gen Consoles (Xbox One X/PS4 Pro) and Next Gen consoles (Xbox Series X/PS5) I guess it is up to us the community to share information that should have been shared by Frontier. So here is what I found on how this works and how it works on all these different versions:

We all know that there is a limit on what you can build called the Oswald-Eugene counter. In the "Settings" menu for the game, there is a tab for this counter. In this menu, you are able to set when the game alerts you about hitting the limit. The default from memory was 80%, but you can change it to whatever you like. So if you want to be notified when you are at 50% for your console, you can set it to that. You can also set at what percentage the game will remind you. For example, if you set it to 60% and reminders at 5% you will get notified when you hit the 60%. Then you will further reminders when you hit 65%, 70%, 75% etc. The limit from what I can tell is based not on the amount of RAM your console has, but more on the CPU/GPU. The smallest amount of building you can do will be on the Xbox One/PS4, then the next bump is on Xbox One X/PS4 Pro and obviously the biggest is on the Xbox Series X/PS5.

One of the other questions that has been raised and not answered is how does the Workshop work with PS4/PS5 and Xbox One/Xbox Series X players? When you go into the same Settings menu for the Oswald-Eugene counter when playing on the Series X or PS5 you get an "additional" notification. This warning tells you that you reached a limit that whatever you are creating will no be sharable with Base console owners. For example, if you are planning to share a park in the Workshop and you "pass" this current gen limit then your park will only be shareable with other owners that have a Next Gen console. It does not tell you what this limit is however...so you would think if your are on PS5/Xbox Series X it would say "As soon as you hit 50%" your creation can only be shared with other Next Gen owners. So as you make a park, at a certain point you will get this warning and you wont be able to share it with current gen owners on the workshop. I have not figured out if it is in the shop will people still be able to view it and tell them this park is too big for your current system or how it communicates this in the shop.

There is still nothing that I have found that tells you how much a ride, scenery piece or anything else "cost" towards this limit. So if you are hitting close to the limit there is nothing that tells you "If you add this Ride it will cost you XXX amount towards the limit".

Since I don't think anyone from the Dev team will read this or pitch in to help us figure out this stuff if anyone finds something that helps us determine the cost values it would be help in the planning stages of our parks.

NOTE: I hope I am not coming across as rude or anything like that towards Frontier. I just am amazed that they have not bothered to chime in other than "Oh on the night before launch, we implemented limits". I do hope and welcome anyone from Frontier to talk about this stuff and give us more insights to how it all works.

Lastly....They did do an amazing job on the game. Aside from the limit issue, which I have not encountered, but really have not pushed anything yet...the game, the performance, the control set up, UI is just so well done and the parts of the new Tutorial that I have been able to complete is executed extremely well. It is an amazing thing they have made for consoles.

This has been way more informative than what Frontier would produce on these forums. Starting off, I don't think this post comes off as rude. You as a player and a poster are concerned about how this works and why it was designed this way.

Now onto the very informative part of your post. There has been a few videos by GamingVideoTrends and Ollie. (Probably heard of them). They demonstrated the amount of rides and scenery you can input. Now the videos they posted isn't a realistic park, so we won't know for certain how well or how big the park will be when scenery, paths, and rides add up together. That'll be either sooner or later when a video like that pops up. But I know for certain that the fairy tale Castle is already worth 4% added to the counter.

Now what I hope is and I hope this appears in the next update/patch is to provide a percentage next to the rides, scenery and paths to input what you can add onto the land before actually plopping it on the land (if that makes sense).

I'm still very highly optimistic this game will do well, but if the counter is far drastic than we thought it was, then it's a let down of a game and it's a let down of me even wanting to play the game at all.

Overall Hawk269, let's just hope this spreads and Frontier can answer your questions or respond back

Purchased this game yesterday and only just seen this, very disappointed to be fair, I assume this will now impact on building things such as dark rides etc?

Top Bottom