The Planetary Circumnavigation Club

Ladies and gentlemen of the Planetary Circumnavigation Club, we haven't had one of these for a little while but please be upstanding for Cmdr Straha Yeager!

source.gif

Cmdr Yeager has just completed a 4 month long circumnavigation of Blau Euq WK-V d3-1 C 7. With a circumference of 12,690 km and a total estimated journey distance of 16,000 km this is the longest planetary circumnavigation yet recorded and the first time a planet with a radius over 2,000 km has ever been circumnavigated.

Epic! Congratulations sir.

You can read more about this journey over here: the-great-circle-a-planetary-circumnavigation[url]

I'm not saying I'm starting another planetary circumnavigation myself .... but I'm not saying I'm not starting one either. Let's just see where this little ravine takes me ..

Greetings all!

I have been looking for a suitable body to take up this challenge - and while I have some rather small moonlets bookmarked - I think the backdrop is a more important factor....So without much further ado - I announce my undertaking on the following body:

Hypoae Ain MO-I d9-37 / 4 c a

1579235572017.png

This body is a nested moon - circling a ringed gas giant - and nestled between the two halves of the "Heart and Soul Nebulae"....I don't think I can ask for a better backdrop:

vGOs8RH.png

The moon also hosts 6 biological sites and 31 geological...If I get close I may stray from my straight course to visit one - as the moon is rich in Basic and Standard Jumponium mats...

I landed at 0.00 / 0.00 - ship facing east (090 degrees) - so I exited with SRV facing west (270 deg) ...so "go west young man" it is!

I will take a screen every x degrees of longitude until l get back to the start...

Cheers and see you at the finish line!

(Edit: session 1: 20 degrees longitude....learning how to hit fairly big jumps....Helps to cruise over uneven terrain much faster...still this is a major undertaking :) )

Last edited:
@Alec Turner

Completed my leisurely little jaunt around Blau Euq WK-V d3-1 C 7 a.

I've now updated the official club records in post #1 with this achievement. Congratulations @Straha Yeagar - you've circumnavigated the planet, you've circumnavigated its moon, good luck on your next endeavour - circumnavigating the galaxy!

tenor.gif

I've also added entries for the new ongoing circumnavigations by myself, @Walter2 and @SpaceTrash67. Good luck everyone!

Anyone familiar with Tom Godwins 'The Cold Equations'? I apparently vastly over-estimated my SRV planetary speed capabilities 😵

Body radius 563 km = 3537 km circumference...

IIRC - the SRVs can reach @ 30 m/s ground speed x 3600 sec/hr = 108,000 m/hr = 108 km/h...

So giving a 50% grace factor for rougher patches / canyons & refuel stops - that would be 54 km/h = 65.5 hr driving time...(assuming drving at top speed....this is probably my biggest source of error - as even level ground needs to avoid the axle-shredding boulders)

U4u2Zfy.png

I've put @ 9-10 hrs of "pedal to the metal" driving in so far and only managed 30 deg longitude (1/12th circumference) - meaning my actual ground speed is not even half my allowance and the resulting time requirement will likely double...Due to time constraints (RL / also flying in CEA expedition) - I regretfully need to postpone my entry for the time being....

That being said - it will remain my entry - as the views have remained spectacular....to be continued....(anticpated resumption in June-July? Post- CEA = end-April and then driving time...)

I also fully understand if entries need to be in one, continuous trip to properly be considered....

o7

ranG4Kq.png

Last edited:
Anyone familiar with Tom Godwins 'The Cold Equations'? I apparently over-estimated my SRV planetary speed capabilities 😵

Body radius 563 km = 3537 km circumference...

IIRC - the SRVs can reach @ 30 m/s ground speed x 3600 sec/hr = 108,000 m/hr = 108 km/h...

So giving a 50% grace factor for rougher patches / canyons & refuel stops - that would be 54 km/h = 65.5 hr driving time...

U4u2Zfy.png

I've put @ 9-10 hrs of "pedal to the metal" driving in so far and only managed 30 deg longitude (1/12th circumference) - meaning my actual ground speed is not even half my allowance and the resulting time requirement will likely double...Due to time constraints (RL / also flying in CEA expedition) - I regretfully need to postpone my entry for the time being....

That being said - it will remain my entry - as the views have remained spectacular....to be continued....(anticpated resumption in June-July? Post- CEA = end-April and then driving time...)

I also fully understand if entries need to be in one, continuous trip to properly be considered....

o7

ranG4Kq.png
That's fine and your entry can remain, I'll just mark it as POSTPONED or somesuch. Re: the size of your chosen planet, it's fine and fairly typical of other planets that have been circumnavigated here. What you need to work on is your driving, or rather "flyving" technique. With practice you can get those speeds up to 100m/s and above, flying the SRV through the air using boost with the nose tilted down to propel you forwards. This is something you could definitely pick up along the way. When we did the First Great Planetary Expedition we had quite a few SRV novices who started out at sub-30m/s speeds and who were flying over canyons at 150m/s by the end of the journey. The 0.06 gravity you have down there is just perfect for this!

Added Lord Tyvin's ongoing circumnavigation of Tewanta A 7 g a to the OP as well as doing a bit of a status update of the other ongoing circumnavigations.

Better late than never (how did I miss this?!?!?).

Ladies and gentlemen of the Planetary CIrcumnavigation Club - please be upstanding for our newest member, Cmdr @Arburich ... who circumnavigated 59 Virginis 6 B A for a 24hr charity livestream event back in March 3305.

Bravo sir!

54d2c94f3395822478b46bcb9b52751c.gif

More info here: featured-event-the-road-trip
Seems only fitting to join you in a toast... same time next year.
:p

Jokes aside, well done Cmdr @Arburich ! 👏

Cmdr name: Nozdus
Planet/Moon: 3 Geminorum 2 A
Gravity: 0.08 G
Radius: 298 km
Approximate distance travelled: more than 600 km
Start & Endpoint: 0°, 86° (equator). Circumnavigated nearly along the equator with SRV orbiting
Start/finish date: 07.03.3305 / 08.03.3306
Time taken: Approximately 1 h for 2 circumnavigations
Evidence/travelogue:
Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QapvcG_AH8U

During the Winter Australis Expedition I made an orbit of my SRV by gaining speed by bounces and boosts with the drive assist deactivated.The video shows two complete circumnavigations and the orbit is stabilized on the second one with a speed around 1200 m/s and an altitude of 9 km.

2020-03-08 00-02-03 3 Geminorum_1.jpg

Last edited:
Ok then, so three more successful circumnavigations to add to the club's ever growing roster.

First of all, as reported above - congratulations to Cmdr @Nozdus who completed several orbital circumnavigations of 3 Geminorum 2 A between the 7th and 8th of March (there's a nice video to watch for the evidence of this too).

Then, a day later Cmdr Sealios Maximum completed a week long circumnavigation of Flya Hypooe TE-L b9 1. Evidence was posted into the Discord and I've now re-posted it as part of the entry for this circumnavigation in the OP here.

And lastly, yours truly finally completed his journey down a "little ravine", a journey we all knew would ultimately take me all the way around the entire planet. You can read the full story of that three month long adventure (my 3rd circumnavigation now) over here: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/lets-see-where-this-little-ravine-takes-me.534520/

Congratulations one and all (gives self polite pat on back).

Hip Hip ... Hooray!
Hip Hip ... Hooray!
Hip Hip ... Hooray!

As I've observed elsewhere, now most of us face what could easily be a three month long lockdown in RL ... what better time to embark on a planetary circumnavigation of your own? Who knows, by the time you finish you might even be able to celebrate with a pint of beer in an actual pub (🤞).

Last edited:
Ok then, so three more successful circumnavigations to add to the club's ever growing roster.

First of all, as reported above - congratulations to Cmdr @Nozdus who completed several orbital circumnavigations of 3 Geminorum 2 A between the 7th and 8th of March (there's a nice video to watch for the evidence of this too).

Then, a day later Cmdr Sealios Maximum completed a week long circumnavigation of Flya Hypooe TE-L b9 1. Evidence was posted into the Discord and I've now re-posted it as part of the entry for this circumnavigation in the OP here.

And lastly, yours truly finally completed his journey down a "little ravine", a journey we all knew would ultimately take me all the way around the entire planet. You can read the full story of that three month long adventure (my 3rd circumnavigation now) over here: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/lets-see-where-this-little-ravine-takes-me.534520/

Congratulations one and all (gives self polite pat on back).

Hip Hip ... Hooray!
Hip Hip ... Hooray!
Hip Hip ... Hooray!

As I've observed elsewhere, as most of us face what could now easily be a three month long lockdown in RL ... what better time to embark on a planetary circumnavigation of your own? Who knows, by the time you finish you might even be able to celebrate with a pint of beer in an actual pub (🤞).
Congrats on your ravine run! Regarding that, it inspired me to go check out that moon sometime last month and I did a circumnavigation of my own. The end result was that I launched myself into the rings of the parent gas giant! It was spectacular, but also a little anticlimactic - as I passed through the rings in my srv I saw the fog/mist/dust start to surround me, the little pellets flying by... And then I passed through the other side of the ring. So it turns out if you fly from the surface of one planet to the rings of another in an SRV, all you get is the wimpy little rocks-flying-by animation and no actual massive asteroids like you would if you dropped in from supercruise. Game breaking bug?? Perhaps, but I'll need to go back and do more thorough testing before submitting my official bug report :p

I recorded video of the whole thing and inadvertently deleted it all about a week ago, thinking I had already edited the footage down to a video to be uploaded. So I might have to try it again sometime.

Top Bottom