Guide / Tutorial The popular guide to mining.

Greetings commanders

A long time ago, a player friend of mine (Hanako) wrote a popular guide aimed at players unused with powerplay, it's been well received as a beginner's guide to a complex subject. And a few months ago I kept up the tradition and wrote three further guides.

Introducing the Popular guide to mining!

Mining is just complex enough that it warrants having a guide to explain the ins and outs. This guide's purpose is to help out commanders unused to space mining, and there's a tiny bit of of humor thrown in for good measure.

I have a thread with this stuck in the main forums, but it really belongs here...

Last edited:
Very nice guide, CMDR :) Have some rep! - apparently I have already given you rep not too long ago :rolleyes:
Looking forward to Ice Mining as well ^^

Last edited:
guide updated somewhat...I haven't gone through all the nooks and crannies of the changes in engineers, but put up a list of materials found in belts. important.

If you don't mind me asking what is the expected return on mining runs? For example if one has a Type7 mining ship loadout for 160tons how long does it take to fill the cargo and what profit might you get for it?

bigbangtheory. I'm afraid it varies a LOT depending on your luck, your style of mining (how much you use prospectors) and if you throw away bad materials or not.

To give you a guesstimate. When I launch in my mining clipper. I pick up 2/3 of my cargo in limpets and I'm 'fairly choosy' which rocks I'll mine. wanting good stuff. But I won't go out of my way to throw away worse minerals. And I need about two hours to fill my 192 ton hold (I could do better, I'm a bit casual at it, easily distracted). Then I can make maybe 2.5 to three million credits with that haul, more if I pay attention to missions.

Well played. I've been playing for months but never gone mining. The Engineers have now pushed me in that direction so this is an ideal guide for me. Thanks!

One thing that might be handy is a more complete list of what can be found in each ring type. Missions often ask for things that aren't worth much on the open market

bigbangtheory. I'm afraid it varies a LOT depending on your luck, your style of mining (how much you use prospectors) and if you throw away bad materials or not.

To give you a guesstimate. When I launch in my mining clipper. I pick up 2/3 of my cargo in limpets and I'm 'fairly choosy' which rocks I'll mine. wanting good stuff. But I won't go out of my way to throw away worse minerals. And I need about two hours to fill my 192 ton hold (I could do better, I'm a bit casual at it, easily distracted). Then I can make maybe 2.5 to three million credits with that haul, more if I pay attention to missions.

ty for that, I am if I'm honest trying to wean myself off of bounty hunting and the problem I am discovering is not so much "finding other things to do" it is "finding other things to do that bring in a good income whilst doing them". Thanks for tips as always.

One thing that might be handy is a more complete list of what can be found in each ring type. Missions often ask for things that aren't worth much on the open market
page 7, mossfoot, that's the first thing I did when I saw the changes. :)

And ugh, coriolis updated and I found many of my mining designs were outdated, I did a few corrections in the ship types. Though I still could use a good design for a fighter/miner anaconda. Don't have experience in condas I'm afraid.

Last edited:
Is it complete? That's a good question mossfoot. I actually have no way to be absolutely certain this list is complete. I'm just pretty confident since I saw the same materials over and over and saw no other... But then again, I never spotted a low-temperature diamond, that one's just hearsay.

Let's roll this way: Anyone out there, compare your findings while mining to my table on page 7 please, if I'm missing anything don't hesitate to PM me with what you found so I can update the guide!

Is it complete? That's a good question mossfoot. I actually have no way to be absolutely certain this list is complete. I'm just pretty confident since I saw the same materials over and over and saw no other... But then again, I never spotted a low-temperature diamond, that one's just hearsay.

Let's roll this way: Anyone out there, compare your findings while mining to my table on page 7 please, if I'm missing anything don't hesitate to PM me with what you found so I can update the guide!

Ah! Turns out both the items I was looking for were right where your guide said. Thanks!

Big update done today.
-More ship designs, now split in small/medium/big ships.
-I've added advice and tips to dodge space pirates, now they more stubbornly appear when one arrives in a belt. But don't panic! And bring your limpets.
-I had a friend who kept losing limpets due to targetting ore chunks. So one full page to explain collector behavior.

Just wanted to say thank you for the guide it was very informative and has some information I will be using in the future once I get my fire mining vessel set up!

Top Bottom