The REAL void

I dont think we ever will conquer those distances and in the long term humanitys survival will revolve around space habitats.
If we transcend mortality, the distances will be irrelevant because it doesn't matter that it takes 1000 years to reach another solar system.

Planet has supposedly 50000 years left.
Where does that number come from?
The most common one I've seen is 250-300 million years in which phase the increase in luminosity of the sun will distrupt the carbon cycle and gradually render multicellular life impossible (bacterial life will probably hundreds of millions of years after that).

Barring human incompetence as species, I can't think anything that could bring down complex life on the planet in such a minuscule period of time as 50 000 years. Note that even the fairly recent species of Homo Sapiens have existed ten times that.

Where does that number come from?

Earth is kind of an ice planet that has little warm periods. 50000 years it will be an ice cube, altho donald trump claims americas global warming has bought us more time. True story

:)

Edit: you can argue the number im not a scientist. But just for the interest its worth considering how many flukes had to happen for this planet to even be close to inhabitable. Our gas giants migrated when it appears most dont. We also managed to capture the moon and other hapenings... So many chances happening came together.

Last edited:
As regards not having seen any other civilisations yet:-
1) We have thusfar not seen a single bit of engineering that we'd expect from civilisations thousands/millions of years old that ours. eg: Dyson spheres.
2) We have thusfar not seen a single transmission that we'd expect from civilisations thousands/millions of years old that ours. eg: Why hasn't at least one advanced species sending out a clear/obvious signal for thuosands/millions of years. That said, the "Wow!" signal is very suspicious!
3) Why aren't there probes/beacons galore in our solar system? A species with sufficient automated technology could colonise the entire galaxy with automated units in hundred(s) of thousand years...
4) And if FTL travel was possible, even more so, where are they!?

It really does look like we are as good as, if not actually, all alone in this galaxy. Bizarre and depressing!
Interesting synopsis but I humbly disagree. I think it is presumptuous to think we could receive and interpret a signal from another species. We can't understand the majority of species on our own planet, so how could we understand someone from another planet?

Think of it this way, if an ET sent us a signal less that 100 years ago, we would not even know, and we definitely wouldn't have replied. To the ET, it might just seem we are being a bad neighbour or an ignorant one.

There are that many variables to consider, I think it would be a bloody miracle if humanity actually recognised someone was saying hello. We don't know their frame of time, for all we know one year here could be the same a one day for them, or several lifespans. They might be communicating in a way we could not imagine. For example, could someone in the 1800's comprehend the way we communicate now in 2020, instantaneously via the internet? Doubt it, they would even understand the basics, so why should we presume to be able to identify alien communications methods?

Lastly, we have been broadcasting out to everyone for the last 70 odd years, and I shudder to think what some advanced civilisation will think when they start to try to interpret I Love Lucy and Gilligan Island broadcasts …..could be why no one visits lol

Earth is kind of an ice planet that has little warm periods.
Uhh, no it isn't. If you are referring to the ice ages, they are far from total glaciation, as you can see from the European map here:
LGM.jpg

Drastic as human civilizations go, sure, but entirely different from near-total glaciation which would, if it did happen, take tens if not hundreds of millions of years of ebbing and waning to occur.

But just for the interest its worth considering how many flukes had to happen for this planet to even be close to inhabitable. Our gas giants migrated when it appears most dont. We also managed to capture the moon and other hapenings... So many chances happening came together.
It certainly seems that we were lucky (then again, if we weren't, we wouldn't be here to wonder it).

But on the cosmic scale it still doesn't prove much. There are billions of stars in the galaxy and almost all of them seem to have exoplanets, yet our knowledge of those planets is still very limited by our tools of studying them. Similarly as life goes, it is impossible to say how common or rare it is the universe as we have only a single data point of life existing anywhere - our own.

Drastic as human civilizations go, sure, but entirely different from near-total glaciation which would, if it did happen, take tens if not hundreds of millions of years of ebbing and waning to occur.

Yeah fair point. I think it got the figure off wikipedia long term timeline but i might be wrong. Im reading something that says teh ice will come down as far as new york city... that doenst mean alot to me i just took it as deep freeze.

Link i was reading.. https://weather.com/news/climate/news/ice-age-climate-change-earth-glacial-interglacial-period

It certainly seems that we were lucky

Lucky in the extreme. Another possible reason for lack of contact so far...but yes space is big. Kinda beautiful tho right? All the little things humans get up to and all of it could so easily have never happened.

Didn't one scientist once say we'd never be able to travel at speeds such as 100mph without suffocating? Didn't scientists a hundred years or so ago once say everything that could be discovered, basically had been? So I wouldn't write us off from achieving what we deem the impossible now :)

They did, but that had nothing to do with the laws of physics, more the condition of being ignorant, we learnt, that's how science advances. We still have a lot to learn that's for sure, and maybe many strange things, but what we can observe help sus understand many things. We know the law of gravity is universal because the universe exists, if it didn't work the way it did universally then the universe simply wouldn't exist. We can actually rule out some things as being to improbable to occur.

No, it's fdev's problem and they know it. That's why there's been multiple increases to jump distance capability since release and will likely be more. (Increase base jump distance, engineers, neutron boosts, engineer v2, guardian booster, soon to be 500ly movable bases)

Don't confuse optional with an excuse to not make an activity you do all the time in the game to go even short distances utterly devoid of any kind of gameplay and exist only as a loading screen.

And without changing it, any attempt to add content far away will be destined to be nerfed so that it isn't far away. I'd rather not see the effort of creating a huge Galaxy go to waste because they can't figure out how to make getting there interesting, so they take the easy way out and give us another short cut

Well I think that those 500 ly mobile bases quite likely take a long time for preparation for a jump. Way longer than for example making 10 jumps with 50 ly ship. It is usefull in getting places where gap between stars are too big with even all possible jump boosting systems.

Uhh, no it isn't. If you are referring to the ice ages, they are far from total glaciation, as you can see from the European map here:
LGM.jpg

Also, last I checked, Earth is on the warm side of its habitable zone in its orbit, and this will be moving further out than the Earth as our star expands over the next 500 million to 1 billion years or so.

Last edited:
I think this was the link i meant to post earlier. This one says 80000 years :)

Ice down to NY is a little worse that that picture tbh. Alot of europe if not all covered in ice.

Also, last I checked, Earth is on the warm side of its habitable zone in its orbit, and this will be moving further out than the Earth as our star expands over the next 500 million to 1 billion years or so.
True, though the reason for the habitable zone moving is not the Sun expanding (it won't expand very much before it has fused all hydrogen to helium, which will be in about 5 billion years) but the increasing luminosity of the aging star.

Nothing, or so close to nothing we can call it nothing, lies in intergalactic space.

True, though the reason for the habitable zone moving is not the Sun expanding (it won't expand very much before it has fused all hydrogen to helium, which will be in about 5 billion years) but the increasing luminosity of the aging star.
Maybe so. I was under the assumption that luminosity and size where relatively proportional for this, the slightly higher heat expanding the sun slightly, but perhaps not then.

I think this was the link i meant to post earlier. This one says 80000 years :)

Ice down to NY is a little worse that that picture tbh. Alot of europe if not all covered in ice.
This glacial cycle has been going for a couple million years, there's no particular reason to think the next one (in 50-100 kya) will be any worse than the ones that came before. In North America the glaciers seem to advance farther south because the geography of Canada favors their growth, whereas the geological record is clear that most of Germany and France, and the southern UK, are ice-free during most glacial periods.

There have been full planet-wide freezes - look up Snowball Earth sometime - but not in nearly a billion years, and with the hotter Sun we have now it might be impossible for that to happen anymore.

The most common one I've seen is 250-300 million years in which phase the increase in luminosity of the sun will distrupt the carbon cycle and gradually render multicellular life impossible (bacterial life will probably hundreds of millions of years after that).
The mechanism by which the Sun is brightening is well-understood: as helium "ash" accumulates in the core, the temperature and fusion rate have to increase to maintain pressure equilibrium with the overlying layers. Because of this, the luminosity increases by about 1% per 100 million years.

What is less well understood is how the Earth will respond. Pessimistic models have the Earth going into Venus-like runaway greenhouse within 100 million years. Optimistic models have various effects counter-balancing the luminosity effect and keeping the Earth habitable for as much as another couple billion years. Somewhere in the middle is the model you mentioned.

Interesting synopsis but I humbly disagree. I think it is presumptuous to think we could receive and interpret a signal from another species. We can't understand the majority of species on our own planet, so how could we understand someone from another planet?

Think of it this way, if an ET sent us a signal less that 100 years ago, we would not even know, and we definitely wouldn't have replied. To the ET, it might just seem we are being a bad neighbour or an ignorant one.

The argument you're responding to is an old one, most famously stated as the Fermi Paradox. The points roughly go:

• Even if the only possible means of interstellar travel is via slow probes and generation ships, it takes less than a billion years to cross the Milky Way
  • Expanding at such a slow pace, each colony would have ample time to send ships to two or more unvisited stars, so the number of visited systems would expand exponentially
  • Thus, if a species became capable of interstellar travel, you could expect that it would expand to visit every star in the galaxy in less than a billion years
  • The galaxy is billions of years old, and contains billions of potentially life-bearing planets. Unless the above scenario is impossible for some reason, you would expect it to have happened by now.

Depending on who you ask, this means that interstellar travel is impossible, that intelligent life inevitably destroys itself, or that the above has in fact happened and for some reason we just haven't noticed. I once had the pleasure of a fascinating dinner with Jill Tarter, at the time director of the SETI project. She left me tentatively convinced that the most likely answer is the last one, but that after becoming long since adapted to life in interplanetary and interstellar space, there would be little reason to venture down into the deep gravity wells. We are most likely to find evidence of alien life by conducting archaeology out in the asteroids and icy moons in the outer solar system.

This glacial cycle has been going for a couple million years, there's no particular reason to think the next one (in 50-100 kya) will be any worse than the ones that came before. In North America the glaciers seem to advance farther south because the geography of Canada favors their growth, whereas the geological record is clear that most of Germany and France, and the southern UK, are ice-free during most glacial periods.

There was a link that i cant give cause i closed it but the writer had Dr in front of his name. He seems to think it would be all of north america, i think it said northern but maybe all europe and northern asia. Most farm land would be gone but the sea level would drop by 120 feet/meters? so new farm land may be uncovered.

By chance I happened across this. It's fairly speculative, but interesting none the less.

I like a lot of the shows this guy puts out, especially on his Event Horizon channel where he interviews active and relevant space-related scientists from various fields.

If we transcend mortality, the distances will be irrelevant because it doesn't matter that it takes 1000 years to reach another solar system.

[ ... ]

Thanks to relativity, it doesnt take that long to reach even the Andromeda galaxy (4 Mio ly) as long as you can keep up your acceleration/breaking for the whole travel time.

I think for the andromeda galaxy, if you accelerate/break with nice and constant 1g, it will take the travelers only about 60 years to travel to the 4 mio ly away target destination.

The point is that the proper-velocity can be indefinitely large (gets a gamma prefactor which is unbound).
In other words: as the ship is reaching relativistic velocities, its time will slow down dramatically from the earths perspective (time dilation), making the ship travel huge distances in "no time".
From the ships perspective the whole universe will be compressed to a super flat pancake, making the large distances extremely small (along traveling direction) (length contration).

Last edited:
Seems there's been some updated research findings recently. Apparently some new stars have even been detected between Andromeda and the Milky Way. This video has some nice info on it...

New stars forming at the boundaries and interactions of the galactic halos of Andromeda and the Milky Way, if true, is wild.

While the average density is comparatively extremely low, it does seem like there is actually quite a lot out there.

It seems at least plausible to me now that something like Jaques Station or maybe purpose-built fleet carriers could leapfrog out to even Andromeda with the current in-game technology.

Cheers. :)

Last edited:
Top Bottom