General / Off-Topic The safest place

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
The World Health Organization (WHO) expects a rise in the number of deaths from Covid-19 in Europe during the months of October and November, which will be "harder" in the face of the epidemic.

🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 😷

2 useful pieces of info.

1) Covid is most often acquired by eating at restaurants, where masks come off. Compared to a range of other common activities. Most attributable to the expelled viral load increasing, as well as the decreased filtering.

Use takeout. Eat at home.

2) Asymptomatic/less severe disease can likely result from getting infected through a mask.

The size of the dose of viral particles causing initial infection determines severity of illness. As the immune response seems to be protective either way, mask wearing is a functional proxy for vaccination. Low dose purposeful exposure for this purpose is called variolation. Old news. Not done now because results are less predictable than vaccination.

I can only begin to imagine the fall-out if it turns out the tax funded ‘Eat out to help out’ scheme is the cause of current spike in the U.K..

Pretty much all restaurants and pubs were fully booked all day long 3 days a week!

Last edited:
I can only begin to imagine the fall-out if it turns out the tax funded ‘Eat out to help out’ scheme is the cause of current spike in the U.K..

Pretty much all restaurants and pubs were fully booked all day long 3 days a week!

Future tax. It's our money they used to give us that discount and maybe the virus.

pandemic-tw.jpg

Something interesting here: laser printing graphene mask fiters from paper.

Filters are antibacterial and reusable, 10 min of sunlight is sufficient to remove most microbial biomass. Much better than polyethelene material environmentally.

7852 new cases in 24 hours, 82 departments (out of 101) with moderate or high vulnerability in France.

866 «clusters» are active in the territory, including 68 new ones that have been detected in the last 24 hours.

I wonder how it is in other European countries.

I know that Poland is suspending its air links with France.

🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 😷

7852 new cases in 24 hours, 82 departments (out of 101) with moderate or high vulnerability in France.

866 «clusters» are active in the territory, including 68 new ones that have been detected in the last 24 hours.

I wonder how it is in other European countries.

I know that Poland is suspending its air links with France.

🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 😷

This source suggests that this week may be bad. Projected increase in cases.

🇹🇹 New cases per day are declining here after our delayed corrective measures.

A local girl foolishly posted video of herself breaking the law at the closed beach, and her house was searched by police today. They removed some tablets and iPhones. We expect charges to follow. After all, we have the confession as she boasts on video, with the sea behind.

But I do not think she will be sentenced to dig graves!

The Prime Minister directed the Police to apply the law strictly to everyone, because of her, so homeless vagrants were charged for being maskless. They are not likely to pay the fines. But the point is made.

No exceptions.

"This is much worse than all the science fiction on pandemics," WHO expert Dr Nabarro told the British Parliament's Foreign Affairs Committee. "It's really serious, we are not even halfway. We are still at the beginning," he said, quoted Tuesday by the British agency Press Association.

"This is a terrible situation, a health problem that has grown so out of control that it is plunging the world not only into a recession, but into a giant economic contraction that is likely to double the number of poor, double the number of poor people. malnourished, leading hundreds of millions of small businesses to bankruptcy, ”Dr Nabarro added. :(

🦠🦠🦠🦠🦠🦠😷

This source suggests that this week may be bad. Projected increase in cases.

🇹🇹 New cases per day are declining here after our delayed corrective measures.
Everything is relative my friend.

Here the cases are between 3000 and 10000 per day for weeks and the entries to the hospital increase every day. The same goes for intensive care admissions. :(

🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 😷

In Greece, the pupils went back to school. But the authorities are facing a resounding fiasco: hundreds of thousands of masks have been distributed to schools across the country for the start of the school year ... but most were far too large to be worn.

The pupils flooded social networks with photos showing faces entirely covered by these "parachute masks".

We could laugh if it weren't so dramatic of incompetence.

🦠🦠🦠🦠🦠🦠😷

"This is much worse than all the science fiction on pandemics," WHO expert Dr Nabarro told the British Parliament's Foreign Affairs Committee. "It's really serious, we are not even halfway. "

Clearly he is right about how bad it is going to get, but has not read much science fiction about pandemics. They are really horrible.

Eg: The Satan Bug, The Andromeda Strain, The Stand

Maybe it's good that doctors like him spend more time working and less time reading fiction like me.
Are there any good French stories of pandemics? In Spanish, there is Love in the Time of Cholera.

I too dread the winter in the Northern countries, but India will likely easily surpass that without even one snowflake. Deaths per million are especially bad in poor Latin America. The US just passed 200,000 recorded deaths, but considering the caseload, their hospital service is doing well. Not so in India, where oxygen is running short.

We have heavy industry that needs nitrogen, produced from air. The byproduct is industrial grade oxygen, so we have tons. Literal, tons, of liquid oxygen.

Clearly he is right about how bad it is going to get, but has not read much science fiction about pandemics. They are really horrible.

Eg: The Satan Bug, The Andromeda Strain, The Stand

Maybe it's good that doctors like him spend more time working and less time reading fiction like me.
Are there any good French stories of pandemics? In Spanish, there is Love in the Time of Cholera.

I too dread the winter in the Northern countries, but India will likely easily surpass that without even one snowflake. Deaths per million are especially bad in poor Latin America. The US just passed 200,000 recorded deaths, but considering the caseload, their hospital service is doing well. Not so in India, where oxygen is running short.

We have heavy industry that needs nitrogen, produced from air. The byproduct is industrial grade oxygen, so we have tons. Literal, tons, of liquid oxygen.
Yep. Most fictional plagues have a much higher mortality rate than 4%. Usually it's around 90%. That's part of the problem, covid's slipping under the radar of many people with that deceptive mortality. That's where the "it's not so bad" attitude comes from. Maybe it read our fiction.

I'm pleased to report that the boy's college appear to be taking this as seriously as you could hope excepting there fact that they're getting people into the building as we see a spike in numbers. As with anything though, diets, the gym, giving up smoking/booze/substances, it is not the first couple of days that counts, it is the maintenance of that 'new way'. We shall see.

As I said earlier, he's a good lad and very aware of the situation. He takes it seriously and has done from the start. So touching door handles and bannisters is a thing he's already solid on, washing his hands etc.

I have to say though, if he starts reporting that standards are slipping from the college end, I'm pulling him out of there. I simply don't care. He's got a lifetime to finish that course, I'll pay for it if needs be. Better pay for that than a funeral or a lifetime of care.

The Stand

I read that in my teens. Captain Trips. What a fantastic book it is. The thing that turned me on about it was the breakdown of society, I really liked that. It was the first apocalyptic thing I had ever read. It was like reading a modern day bible of the struggle of humanity or something. As fantastic as it is, and if my memory serves me correctly, the only thing he didn't explore was the idea of a section of society not believing it, having said that, as @metatheurgist says, the infection rates were massively higher in the book, leaving less room for doubt.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom