General / Off-Topic The safest place

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Despite still very high mortality figures and a very contagious “Brazilian” variant, Rio de Janeiro reopened its bars and restaurants in early April and is preparing to do the same with its beaches on Monday, April 19.

The epidemic has killed more than 373,000 people in just over a year in total in Brazil.

373,000 ? How is it possible ? :unsure:

😷

The epidemic has killed more than 373,000 people in just over a year in total in Brazil.

373,000 ? How is it possible ? :sick:
Well, population of Brazil is 212M, so with a 0.68% mortality rate they could have lost 1.4M if everyone have been infected. So expect more deaths.

OTOH if they had vaccinated everyone with AZ / J&J vaccines they could have lost ... 212 people. Math eh?

Some more news from N.I.
International travel has restarted, 10 days hotel quarantine if from red list countries, 10 days self-isolate if other.
855k 1st, 262k 2nd dose...not bad for a country with an shortage, so much mixed messaging it seems.
90,000 teachers & kids to be LF tested twice a week, age 12-14 and below. I have only heard of one school being shut so far. We are to expect a rise in the number of cases.
Cases were as low as 58, then 150'ish, then down to 99 over the last week or so. Some hospitals are over capacity, others are doing well so a bit of a mixed bag. 88 in hospitals with covoid.
Chair of BMA NI has said he's happy with the cautious approach but to keep a close eye on the data as things progress. He had not said much in quite some time but happy he is back.

Last edited:
In an ideal world the top 1% would just hand over some of their money and cancel out all of the debt burden some people are under.
Unfortunately, whether people like it or not, we don’t live in an ideal world so all of us lesser folk will just have to bear it for the next decade or so
I mentioned a while ago. That there should be a one off, pandemic profiteers tax and I have been hearing some governments are thinking about something like that. However: Giving businesses the heads up, would mean that they will find away of squireling away, their profits.

Last edited:
Well, population of Brazil is 212M, so with a 0.68% mortality rate they could have lost 1.4M if everyone have been infected. So expect more deaths.

OTOH if they had vaccinated everyone with AZ / J&J vaccines they could have lost ... 212 people. Math eh?
You did not understand my post

I did irony, not math. :). Read the entire post and do not cut it for your personal interpretation. :)

«Despite still very high mortality figures and a very contagious “Brazilian” variant, Rio de Janeiro reopened its bars and restaurants in early April and is preparing to do the same with its beaches on Monday, April 19. »

😷

Last edited:
Three cases of the Indian variant reported in the Republic of Ireland.
Two are travel related, third is currently unknown.
India is not on their red list of 71 countries.
Didn't take too long.

We are actually just getting started...again . Nothing is over .

owid_globalcases.PNG

owid_cumulativecases.PNG

Getting requests for MMR now, from people who don't want or can't get the actual vaccine.
No idea if it will work on new variants. Suspicious that they might take it, feel safe, get exposed...

Discontinuing offering it. Let them take the real thing as it becomes available.
Judgement call, hope it won't lead to deaths I could have prevented.

Getting requests for MMR now, from people who don't want or can't get the actual vaccine.
No idea if it will work on new variants. Suspicious that they might take it, feel safe, get exposed...

Discontinuing offering it. Let them take the real thing as it becomes available.

I almost have no words . Too many people have too little understanding of the burden this whole thing puts on some .

Tell them the MMR is just a 'temporary' thing.

India is going to be on the UKs red list, from Friday and still a shortage of testing kits, at airports.
Bit late, but definitely justified.
They are reporting 257,000 new cases yesterday, which is certainly underreporting of the true figures.

Tell them the MMR is just a 'temporary' thing.
Been doing so from the start, but if someone is picking MMR over O-AZ, we have a problem where they obviously don't think it's "temporary". I won't be undermining the vaccination program here.

Oh by the way: Remember this?
....constant illegal traffic by boat from the Latin American mainland, and it's a sure bet that P1 from Brazil is eventually coming here
It's here.

It came by boat.
The P1 variant was detected in March in a sample from a person who remained aboard a vessel, but this is the first instance of the variant being detected in a patient not in quarantine.

The winning lottery numbers for next week are ...
11, 24 06, 39, 25, 52.

Ok I have no idea. But hey, might as well. If they turn out to be true then everyone will know that time travel is possible.

Last edited:
Bit late, but definitely justified.
They are reporting 257,000 new cases yesterday, which is certainly underreporting of the true figures.

Been doing so from the start, but if someone is picking MMR over O-AZ, we have a problem where they obviously don't think it's "temporary". I won't be undermining the vaccination program here.

Oh by the way: Remember this?

It's here.

It came by boat.

The winning lottery numbers for next week are ...

Ok I have no idea. But hey, might as well. If they turn out to be true then everyone will know that time travel is possible.

I'll cut you in if these numbers work .

Nah, there's basically no virus in either country. If we were to open to the rest of you plague bearers then yeah it might be an issue.
An Auckland airport employee, however, tested positive for coronavirus on Tuesday. New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern has indicated that this should not have an impact on this "bubble", the two countries "having accepted that there are cases".

If these are detected and controlled ...

😷

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom