The Sol System should not be under the jurisdiction of any one galactic power

Is TS dangerous to democracy? Should we silence him by not letting him use our servers and not allowing him to post?

No.

But perhaps we should increase police activity in and around Sol system.
We must be vigilant of any peaceful protesters rushing the system borders and causing imagined fears among the Sol inhabitants.

Riots or rushes down to Earth itself is strictly forbidden.

Am I letting my imagination run wild? Yes I do. Maybe everyone should calm down and not censor TS. But it sure is one interesting community event if it manifests in game.

Last edited:
Yes, "blaze your own trail"

But only when you're a Petty Officer in the Federal Navy

Seems like the lore fail is is not at my end, friend.
If a door is locked you need a key. If you want to open the door you have to do what is required to obtain the key, get it? Choose to get it or don't but whinging about a non-issue isn't going to win you any popularity contests here

Every commander has to, even Federation supporters.

Why? No idea. Silly if you ask me. Sol shouldn't be permit locked. However, it should be in the hands of the Federation.
Didn't ask you but since you mention it. You are right. In the early days, getting access to Sol was a goal. But with the influx of players and how the game has been (dare I say it?) dumbed down. It should be open to all except FCs.

The same reason Achenar is permit locked and not in the hands of an independent faction.

Regardless of the history of the planet, Sol is the seat of government for the Federation. Personally I find it lore breaking that anyone other than the Federal Congress controls it.
Achenar is beautiful but I never see anyone there - nor does it have any reasons to visit because the only thing there in the way of lore are scattered text nav-beacons. Hardly on par with the original planet of Earth.

I think it's silly to permit lock Earth, but then again I also think it's silly to be able to hold military ranks for multiple different powers. Just one of those "forget about it" things I suppose.

People in the 3300s have lived their whole lives on earth-like colony worlds, stations, and remote settlements.

What would Earth really mean to someone who grew up on the earth-like planet Lave? It’s not home for them like it is for us.

We see Earth as special because we live here. But what about the people of the distant future?
Like I said in the OP, no matter where their journeys led them, they will always see Earth as their origin and true home. Generations would tell of their home planet and why they chose it, and would say they chose it or made it that way to resemble Earth. This cultural beatification and romanticisation would always be there - and in some cases might even be stronger than their own colonial planets in my opinion - it's just too important to overlook or forget about.

Some other guy said that the Feds should retain ownership but remove permit lock of Sol - that might be a better alternative to a neutral police force. I still like my idea more though.

If a door is locked you need a key. If you want to open the door you have to do what is required to obtain the key, get it? Choose to get it or don't but whinging about a non-issue isn't going to win you any popularity contests here
If there's one thing I care about above all FilthyMick, it's a popularity contest on a video game suggestion forum.

Supposedly the United States was a colony of Britain back in the day, yet I've never been to Britain, nor am I mad that you have your own government and queen and MI6 and all that. I suspect that's how most people of the Empire and Alliance feel as well.
And for what reason do American tourists visit London?

In some ways to see the sights - and in some respects, as a pilgrimage to learn about where they came from. Should the British people lobby the government to not allow Americans or other colonials back? Should your passport be revoked and permit-locked? Should the only way you are able to visit the United Kingdom be that you have to be a Warrant Officer in the RAF?

It's laughable.

Last edited:

In some ways to see the sights - and in some respects, as a pilgrimage to learn about where they came from. Should the British people lobby the government to not allow Americans or other colonials back? Should your passport be revoked and permit-locked? Should the only way you are able to visit the United Kingdom be that you have to be a Captain in the RAF?

It's laughable.
I came from Pennsylvania, I was born here. If I travel to London it will probably be to experience a different culture and try the local foods and such. Also to travel to London I would require all the permits and passports. So it seems pretty reasonable to me to need a permit to visit Sol. Be happy you don't need a permit for every system

In some ways to see the sights - and in some respects, as a pilgrimage to learn about where they came from. Should the British people lobby the government to not allow Americans or other colonials back? Should your passport be revoked and permit-locked? Should the only way you are able to visit the United Kingdom be that you have to be a Captain in the RAF?

It's laughable.
Well, I agree that permit locking Sol is laughable, especially since I can be a notorious griefer who destroys innocent cargo haulers and still be granted access to the system. Permit locks in general seem stupid to me (lojack on my FSD). Now denying docking permission without some sort of clearance, that I can understand. And anyone loyal to a hostile power should be actually labeled as hostile when entering the system. I'm pretty sure MI6 doesn't allow known ISIS members just walk around Big Ben, regardless their lineage.

I came from Pennsylvania, I was born here. If I travel to London it will probably be to experience a different culture and try the local foods and such. Also to travel to London I would require all the permits and passports. So it seems pretty reasonable to me to need a permit to visit Sol. Be happy you don't need a permit for every system
I'm pretty sure that if Earth was permit-locked to outsiders in real life, there would be war. If the Thargoids staged a terrifyingly massive invasion, the powers would set aside their petty differences and unite - then, Earth would be seen as the Human galactic jewel - the bubble itself revolves around Sol - so it should be a de-militarised zone, or at least stay under Federal control, but not permit-locked.

There were others on here saying they have their home planets, but Achenar is not on-par with Earth in any respects whatsoever. It's almost lop-sided with Frontier taking the default side of the Federation, which makes no sense given powerplay.

Achenar is beautiful but I never see anyone there - nor does it have any reasons to visit because the only thing there in the way of lore are scattered text nav-beacons. Hardly on par with the original planet of Earth.

I think it's silly to permit lock Earth, but then again I also think it's silly to be able to hold military ranks for multiple different powers. Just one of those "forget about it" things I suppose.
You've just hit on the issue really. If the naval ranking system was based on performance specific missions for each superpower, separate from the main board and progression with one balanced with a drop in trust with another we might have something interesting. It wouldn't necessarily have to permanently lock someone out of owning a Corvette for example, it would just be that your security and therefore honorary rank would drop with the Empire when you did missions for the Federation to get it

So basically in your case, you could wipe away the Federation stain by doing more Imperial missions to drop your Federation security level.

I'm sure there's a ton of holes in there, but it doesn't matter as it won't change to anything else anyway.

You've just hit on the issue really. If the naval ranking system was based on performance specific missions for each superpower, separate from the main board and progression with one balanced with a drop in trust with another we might have something interesting. It wouldn't necessarily have to permanently lock someone out of owning a Corvette for example, it would just be that your security and therefore honorary rank would drop with the Empire when you did missions for the Federation to get it

So basically in your case, you could wipe away the Federation stain by doing more Imperial missions to drop your Federation security level.

I'm sure there's a ton of holes in there, but it doesn't matter as it won't change to anything else anyway.
I'll just do missions for them until I get the permit... Slimy Feds.

I'll just pass it off as being a double agent and was subtly working against them, haha. I live this game.

Why should an Empire loyalist have to join an opposing galactic power's navy and be promoted just in order to see the home-planet of their species? Are you telling me that the only true in-lore way for one of the trillions of Human colonials to even catch glimpse of Earth has to do so by joining the military wing of a bloated corpse of corporate greed?

In real life the powers wouldn't allow it, there would be a treaty involved that allowed people to visit.

Needing to join the Federation navy and be promoted to fly a starship in Sol ≠ needing to do that to visit Sol as a civilian passenger.

According to Frontier's own well-established fictional background:

"Historic system famous as both the birthplace of humanity and as the political capital of the Federation. A very expensive and prestigious system to live in and a popular tourist venue. Most rich humans will visit Earth once in their lives. All the major corporations have their headquarters on Mars, terraformed in 2286, which is the main centre for administration."

The vast, vast majority of the population in Elite Dangerous's galaxy are not starship commanders. We're a different class of citizen, and different rule apply to us.

Lots of visitors make the pilgrimage to Earth from all over the Federation, Empire, Alliance and Independent systems, presumably as long as they're not on some kind of no-fly list and after background checks and obtaining some kind of visitor's visa or waiver.

Out-of-fiction, the reason it's locked is to create a small goal for players to work towards.

I'll just do missions for them until I get the permit... Slimy Feds.

I'll just pass it off as being a double agent and was subtly working against them, haha. I live this game.
Too bad you have to rank even higher for the coveted Vega permit. I'm not even gonna tell you about all the stuff there or about how Gan Romero stole a dbx from a secure station there before disappearing on a search for the galactic caretakers.

Yes, "blaze your own trail"

But only when you're a Petty Officer in the Federal Navy

Seems like the lore fail is is not at my end, friend.

But that wasn't your point. I agreed the permit is silly. Your point was that it being controlled by the Federation is somehow wrong. But the Federation grew out of Sol. It is correct in lore.

That is where you failed to understand the lore.

Either that, or you are declaring the lore is wrong. In which case, please go explain that to David Braben.

Didn't ask you but since you mention it. You are right. In the early days, getting access to Sol was a goal. But with the influx of players and how the game has been (dare I say it?) dumbed down. It should be open to all except FCs.

Well, i never understood why it was locked in the first place. But it doesn't take much effort to get the permit, so its not a major deal. And at the end of the day, getting access to the Dropship was one of my goals anyway, as its a really nice craft for many activities. Highly underrated.

Well, i never understood why it was locked in the first place. But it doesn't take much effort to get the permit, so its not a major deal. And at the end of the day, getting access to the Dropship was one of my goals anyway, as its a really nice craft for many activities. Highly underrated.
Right, I unlocked it by accident way back when my only ship was an eagle. I didn't even know what I had done at first. And that was before they added all the noob friendly stuff and the tutorial and the handbook. Kids these days want Sol permit as participation award and don't even want to participate smh

Well, it was something to aim for, on release. I got the permit on my way to outrank CPO Pertwee of HMS Troutbridge. (60's Brit radio show.)
:coffee:

Top Bottom