Votes: 54 51.4%
  • No, I don't want a Open PvE

Votes: 49 46.7%
  • I want only Open PvE and PvP only in groups

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.

Nonya

Banned
I think FD are mainly appealing to Xbox players there. PC players tend to be more fickle and want PvP with a purpose in my personal experience. I also believe Xbox players will eventually want more purpose to their PvP too.

You sir, are correct. CQC is fine-tuned for the Xbox controller. They even micro-gimbaled all the weapons for it.
Small tiny player-space, quick-turning ships flying through stations running and gunning are hard on almost all sticks except for maybe the Thurstmaster Warthog.

No it wouldn't. Bad reviews of it being crippled and an exodus of players would sink it.
It's called "economics". When a software company no longer has enough revenues coming in to keep the servers running while still making enough of a profit to make the whole venture worthwhile, the software dies.
PvP'ers tend to talk to their friends and get them to buy the game so they'll have more power in their wings to take on other players.
Eventually even the PvE crowd would get bored and leave too since even now it looks like any changes to the AI have been put on the back burner with recent personnel moves within FDEV itself.

Do you think EVE would still be around if it completely got rid of PvP? No one would remember it ever existed except as a bad joke.
Do you think WoW could exist as a PvE-only game? Nope.
Humans WANT to battle other humans online, period. And they are greater in numbers than the PvE-only crowds. Look at any PvE-only game released and you'll see that the two most-asked questions of the devs for that game are a) when will we get multiplayer and b) when will we get PvP?
The only exceptions to the PvE-only games are RPGs because they are marketed and sold as single-player RPGs and the buyers know there won't be any MMO/PvP aspect to it.
But that's NOT how ED was marketed now, was it?

Actually yes it would. The game is a PVE game with a PVP aspect.. if people stopped PVPing outside of the "arena" the game would still be very viable and live. It is not a PVP game with Open being the main mode with few people in solo and Groups.

Yes there would be a exedus of some players but still have enough to be functional while new players would be joinging. As for EVE.. they are struggling to keep the non hard core PVPers in the game.

Wow.. dont' know don't care.

And Humans don't "WANT to battle other humans online, period". YOU do.. some others do, I don't and others don't. There have always been people on both sides, to claim one is "defacto" human nature is asinine. You will always have some ask for PVP, and some ask for multi player, I'm sorry but the pvp crowd is not greater than the PVE crowd. I never denied some people want to PVP, you just seem to think everyone should.

Funny how you make a comment about how ED was marketed, since you've been trying to make it not like how it was marketed. All I said was the game could survive without PVP, not that is should not have PVP. Yet you jump to "How ED is marketed "... maybe you should take your own advice.

Wrong again. My own independent research on the matter using the Mobius group as the example shows that the vast majority of the Mobius player-base is actually playing IN OPEN! I know, it shocked me too as I scrolled down the player list and saw that player after player was listed as currently playing in OPEN. The rest were in Private Groups and a tiny minority were in Solo.

Apparently you've missed the variety of coments on how Mobious does not restrict and that some players do play in open when they feel like it. Mobius is there to give a non griefing environment, not to dictate where people play. And I would love to know how many of the 10,500 players you have on your list..

Wow. Horribly wrong on a lot of points in here.
<snip>

We see it differently. I see one Galaxy, play as you like. You see open as a separate game. I see it as one game, with the option to decide who you play with. You see a barrier because of some intrinsic value of open over the other modes. If we were to contend on this issue, we could make some head way. But focusing on the function of your ideal won;t get us very far.

I'm going to ask you to answer a question I've asked time and time again, but have never received a direct answer to. The answer to this question could put us on a course of understanding each other. Here it is: Why should the whole of the Elite player base succumb to the gamer ethics of the few?

I believe Power play is well suited as the backbone of my suggestions. In fact I was shocked Power play went the PvE route that is has. I think a portion of players feel the same unquiet with Power play that I do.
That's where I see your suggestions as antithetical to the ED philosophy of switching between modes. Powerplay allows your aspect of PvP gameplay AND other's PvE. As far as I understand it, one isn't supposed to be given priority over the other. If the majority of the community influences PP through PvE, well they've cast their vote.

Edit: Xbox hate is indicative of exclusiveness, not inclusiveness.

Last edited:
Open offers you that experience. What has to happen is the resentment of Solo and Group needs to be toned down. Elite was also advertized to allow freedom of movement between the modes.
Absolutely. Wish I could rep you more +1

yea, me too.
how do i get to rep people more than once anyway?

the lack of people in open is noticeable to those who spend most/all of their time there.
and according to a loud minority, the people that play the other modes instead of open have made it that way.
the question that some people seem to want the answer to is "why did people move out of open?"
and the next comment is "we need to charm them back to open, or force them back to open"

well some never went to open.

they decided to start to play group mode, some solo and never had a reason to change modes.
those people probably won't be coaxed or forced into open.

and if open really is empty, it could be a clue as to where the thousands of people that play the game choose to play.
somewhere other than open.

i personally often rant about greifers, but i also know for sure that i don't represent the majority of non-open players.

other popular comments;
we need separate power play for each mode.
or.
PP needs to be invalid anywhere but open.

really?
if you look at the mechanics of power play it looks like PP could lose open mode entirely with no ill effects.
when examined closely you can see PP is PVE based, and open mode people are allowed to play also, not the other way around.

all this forum warrior stuff is cutting into my game time.
I AM NOT A NUMBER I AM A FREE MAN!
a signpost up ahead.
it says the twilight zone.
or is it the hotel california.

Nonya

Banned
I am also puzzled by this. It is definitely a problem.

Probably because it's not a part of "Braben's Vision" for the game.
He wanted a big PvE co-op game but failed to take human nature and the difference between what players in the 80s wanted versus what players want today into account once he killed offline mode because of his BGS silliness.
Remember folks, they went cheap - solo works by disabling the P2P part of the online game. It's basically Open with P2P diabled. You would get the exact same effect if you block all P2P connections at your router and jump into Open.
It's all online no matter what what mode you play.

Last edited:
Probably because it's not a part of "Braben's Vision" for the game.
He wanted a big PvE co-op game but failed to take human nature and the difference between what players in the 80s wanted versus what players want today into account once he killed offline mode because of his BGS silliness.
Remember folks, they went cheap - solo works by disabling the P2P part of the online game. It's basically Open with P2P diabled. You would get the exact same effect if you block all P2P connections at your router and jump into Open.
It's all online no matter what what mode you play.

The Mobius group suggest you may be wrong. There is a strong movement for the Co-Op playstyle.

On a side note. You're not up to answer the fundamental question (as I see it) to this threads discussion either. It's a common reaction.

and if open really is empty, it could be a clue as to where the thousands of people that play the game choose to play.

Is it empty due to lack of players or does it just feel empty due to the sheer size of things combined with matchmaking? Play in Open a few hundred LY from the "core" areas and it will feel like Solo, but it's still Open. When not playing as a Fuel Rat, I see another human player about once or twice a month on average, having played in Open since Gamma.

Unfortunately it's not. Coming from Planetside 2 the emphasis is on territorial expansion and defence that CQC doesn't impinge on.

And here is the "ownership" thing that DB emphatically said "will not happen" more than a dozen times. They will not take the game there. They will not allow players to "own space." I'm sorry, but it isn't going to happen no matter how much posting gets done.

On my own part, I think that they paid a LOT of attention to EvE and are determined not to let their game make the same mistakes.

Nonya

Banned
The Mobius group suggest you may be wrong. There is a strong movement for the Co-Op playstyle.
Wrong again. How many copies have been sold versus how many Mobius players? That's right, around 2.12% of the entire player base is in Mobius.
That's not a "strong movement" by any definition.
And even those in Mobius are not playing in Mobius most of the time. They're mostly in Open.

On a side note. You're not up to answer the fundamental question (as I see it) to this threads discussion either. It's a common reaction.

Well, ma'am, this thread has grown to quite a few pages why don't you enlighten me as to what the fundamental question is from your point-of-view so I can dissect it properly without misquoting?

Last edited:
On my own part, I think that they paid a LOT of attention to EvE and are determined not to let their game make the same mistakes.

They are completely different games with a completely different ethos, you cannot directly compare the two as the only thing they have in common is that it's in Space.

yea, me too.
how do i get to rep people more than once anyway?

the lack of people in open is noticeable to those who spend most/all of their time there.
and according to a loud minority, the people that play the other modes instead of open have made it that way.
the question that some people seem to want the answer to is "why did people move out of open?"
and the next comment is "we need to charm them back to open, or force them back to open"

well some never went to open.

they decided to start to play group mode, some solo and never had a reason to change modes.
those people probably won't be coaxed or forced into open.

somewhere other than open.

i personally often rant about greifers, but i also know for sure that i don't represent the majority of non-open players.

other popular comments;
we need separate power play for each mode.
or.
PP needs to be invalid anywhere but open.

really?
if you look at the mechanics of power play it looks like PP could lose open mode entirely with no ill effects.
when examined closely you can see PP is PVE based, and open mode people are allowed to play also, not the other way around.

all this forum warrior stuff is cutting into my game time.
I AM NOT A NUMBER I AM A FREE MAN!
a signpost up ahead.
it says the twilight zone.
or is it the hotel california.

Agreed, and "special" repping you cause I can't rep you again.

also:

No.6: “The whole earth as. . . `The Village'?”
No.2: “That is my hope. What's yours?”
No.6: “I'd like to be the first man on the moon!”

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom