The Star Citizen Thread V10

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Or... scope increase is a strategy. It's been an integral and important part of their early business plan and current business model.

I don't think that has ever been the case. There were limitations in place at the start (LTI, limited availability of ships etc) but it always struck me that Roberts is a sucker for attention. Above everything else he wants fame and adulation, so he promises more and more because it gets him more attention.

The by-product being that they are on this circular ride of always chasing money to pay for his previous ideas. There's no scheme here, no strategy, just overpromises and the seeking of money to pay for it.

That is my understanding also, which reinforces CIG's brilliant business model. And refunds are negligible - a minor cost of doing business - irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.
The problem is that the actual costs of doing business vastly outscales the business revenues, and that all the money they bring in just turns into an ever-increasing mound of liabilities rather than anything that could at some point be counted as profits.

I am sure this has been discussed before, but I just learned there will only be 100 systems at release. How are you going to be able to do the Explorer Role in 100 systems? They all have to be settled already for 100 systems to provide enough game play for the rest of the roles.

I had to look this up: There are 400 billion star systems in Elite Dangerous

That was classic Chris Roberts, promise something and sell it without thinking about how much time and money it will entail.
They have since said that the game might initially launch with 5 systems and will be fleshed out as time goes on. However given how long it is taking them to develop just a singular system and given how unique they want each system to be, people are going to be waiting for a very, very long time...

The problem is that the actual costs of doing business vastly outscales the business revenues, and that all the money they bring in just turns into an ever-increasing mound of liabilities rather than anything that could at some point be counted as profits.

As many a start-up will attest, profit is irrelevant if you can build your business valuation to become a $1B+ unicorn takeover target. In fact many unicorns had huge losses before their buy-outs.

While all my posts this evening have been tongue-in-cheek, mark my words, the current thinking in CIG, especially from the likes of Freyermuth and the new investors, is to build the valuation up to $1B, then $2B if possible. And that might happen if the current rate of backer income continues and leads eventually to a decent game release. It will then be a matter for history to record that given enough money, and regardless of the wastage and incompetence, a games company can eventually release a decent game and become an industry powerhouse. And a side effect might be one man, the 75% shareholder, becoming a billionaire.

Last edited:
It will then be a matter for history to record that given enough money, and regardless of the wastage and incompetence, a games company can eventually release a decent game and become an industry powerhouse.
Nothing CIG has ever done would suggest that either modality (“will” and “can”) would be applicable in this case. :D

I am sure this has been discussed before, but I just learned there will only be 100 systems at release. How are you going to be able to do the Explorer Role in 100 systems? They all have to be settled already for 100 systems to provide enough game play for the rest of the roles.

This info is outdated. Right now there is 1 system containing very little content at all. The goal is to release with 3-5 systems and continue delivering systems after launch. The current planets/moons available also are pretty empty and void of content. We dont know in what capacity CIGs procgen tech is able to handle content generation seeing as even the stelar bodies require an artist touch to result in their current form. We had quite a few theories about this in the past and bar any technological improvements generating content for Star Citizen to fulfill KS pledge goals it would take dozens of developer years to deliver whats promised.

Various sources claim that each single system will hold more content then 100 billion systems in elite dangerous but so far we have had very little evidence for that.

Last edited:
Most games are released in a "basic" version and I dont mean half-finished or bug-ridden by that. So many games come out with a solid foundation and only later when additional content and refined mechanics via DLC, patches and modding arrive become the master pieces they are. This is the same approach you see in almost everything on the planet. On very basic things you can afford to work toward perfection from the start but even "simple" pictures start with a rough sketch and take it from there becoming master pieces at the end.

It's interesting to compare Star Citizen backers vs the uproar that happens when publishers put out $60 games that are in a shoddy state with the excuse that they will improve them later.

Paying for development is a different model, sure, but we are talking orders of magnitude difference in outlay and the end result is the same.

Example (incl swearing):

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XhvNlLTpiQ

It's funny that most people who cover PC gaming seem to avoid Star Citizen (both indie content creators and the press). It'll be one of the most expensive games to be (not) developed so it's kinda odd that there hasn't been wall-to-wall coverage, only occasional outbursts. I know that it's a niche genre but I'm kinda surprised that we don't hear more comparisons to Molyneux & etc.

Hahaha. 100 systems.:ROFLMAO:
Most of them are in the pipeline though. I promise.

Games are an art form,you can’t just throw money at it and expect the greatest game of all time to just pop out.
They are a games studio with no portfolio,their ability to make at the very least a functional game is still up for debate.
At this moment expecting CIG to pull off this mammoth project would be like giving the contract to the Sistine Chapel to a painter and decorator. Sure they’ve painted some ceilings in the past but?!

It's funny that most people who cover PC gaming seem to avoid Star Citizen (both indie content creators and the press). It'll be one of the most expensive games to be (not) developed so it's kinda odd that there hasn't been wall-to-wall coverage, only occasional outbursts. I know that it's a niche genre but I'm kinda surprised that we don't hear more comparisons to Molyneux & etc.
Because it's "not released". They know that if they cover it, they'll get attacked and possibly IRL threatened by angry SC mob crying: "It's only alpha eeee"

Yeah as mentioned, they seem to have drawn down to '5 to 10 star systems' for release.

They're struggling to finish one at the moment though.

It turns out this ship advert may have been ever so slightly misleading...

Goose4291

Banned
Games are an art form,you can’t just throw money at it and expect the greatest game of all time to just pop out.
They are a games studio with no portfolio,their ability to make at the very least a functional game is still up for debate.
At this moment expecting CIG to pull off this mammoth project would be like giving the contract to the Sistine Chapel to a painter and decorator. Sure they’ve painted some ceilings in the past but?!

It's an odd one.

If they'd have been sensible and focused on releasing a functioning and well polished S42 that delivered on promises made before moving onto SC, I think they'd be getting a lot less flak than they are at the moment

Yeah as mentioned, they seem to have drawn down to '5 to 10 star systems' for release.

They're struggling to finish one at the moment though.

It turns out this ship advert may have been ever so slightly misleading...

They later claimed GameStar mistranslated and that CIG will definitely not just go for a measly ten systems at launch. Doesn't matter either way, the reality is they don't even have one measly system after seven years and production hasn't exactly been 'ramping up'. I don't see the difference between five systems in a hypothetical release or five million systems in a hypothetical release when neither is likely to happen anyway. It is like debating whether I will transfer to Real Madrid, FC Barcelona or 'only' to Valencia. I could promise I won't 'settle for just Valencia' but we all know none of them are interested in me anyway. :p

"What is 'a game release' anyway?" - Chris Roberts, probably

Well, he did already say to gamestar when asked about 1.0 he quipped what do you mean? we have 3.0 coming out soon!

I think in CR's head it is already released. Of course, its still a pledge and not a purchase!

This info is outdated. Right now there is 1 system containing very little content at all. The goal is to release with 3-5 systems and continue delivering systems after launch. The current planets/moons available also are pretty empty and void of content. We dont know in what capacity CIGs procgen tech is able to handle content generation seeing as even the stelar bodies require an artist touch to result in their current form. We had quite a few theories about this in the past and bar any technological improvements generating content for Star Citizen to fulfill KS pledge goals it would dozens of take developer years to deliver whats promised.

Various sources claim that each single system will hold more content then 100 billion systems in elite dangerous but so far we have had very little evidence for that.

Don't forget, a single crater on a barren moon in SC has more content than the whole of Skyrim!

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom