The Star Citizen Thread v5

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
If you take a look at the ship details, you will see that most of the "minimum crew" of 13 players are either gunners for the 5 manned turrets, or crew members for the 7 consoles, which will most likely handle the ship shields, power distribution etc... I guess the remaining one will be the pilot, who i guess will control the automated turret the same way a Hornet pilot does.
So my guess is that yes, a single player will be able to pilot a Polaris, but with several reductions in capability because he will just control a single turret.
That's going to get pretty messy don't you think?

Or do you imagine everyone going full-military on it complete with punishments for people deserting their posts or not ensuring their internet connection is up to scratch to keep up with the rest of you?

Elite seems to be taking the line that you hire NPC crew fullstop and that other players can be allowed to "jump in" which solves all these problems - the crew is already paid for, any drop outs can be reassumed by the NPCs.
The SC way we have no answers whatsoever, just more questions and much more riding on it with high dollar value ships relying on it to be playable at all.

No, that is what he wants. There is no indication that actually exists, especially since he goes onto talking about concept the very next paragraph. Again, until it is plugged in and actually demonstrable then it exists as much as the Pupil to Planet did as a real-time in-game technology.

I don't see how this
The whole concept is to have a living, breathing universe that reacts and responds to the players’ actions.
can invalidate this:
We actually have a full universe simulation that runs on separate servers, responsible for deciding which planets are trading, which organization is doing what, which factories are doing well, who’s selling what, who needs what kind of goods.

That's going to get pretty messy don't you think?

Or do you imagine everyone going full-military on it complete with punishments for people deserting their posts or not ensuring their internet connection is up to scratch to keep up with the rest of you?

I don't think it can get so messy. One guy pilots the ship. Other guys go to turrets. Another guy controls the power distribution to ensure a good management in fight. Another one controls the distribution of shield power, so if a shield falls, the energy can be redirected to it so it restores faster. And so on. Each guy does a single task.
Keep in mind that pretty much everyone using capital ships will be members of clans, or groups of friends who want to play together in an organized way top maximize their efficiency. I'm sure they can have fun with it.

Of course, i also think the lone player should have the option to hire NPCs. Not everyone will be part of a clan or will have friends ready to play at any moment.

No, that is what he wants. There is no indication that actually exists, especially since he goes onto talking about concept the very next paragraph. Again, until it is plugged in and actually demonstrable then it exists as much as the Pupil to Planet did as a real-time in-game technology.

Yeah, it is Chris Roberts treatement:

We obviously haven’t got all this working; it’s all in different stages of development, but that’s the long-term vision — a dynamic, living, breathing universe where you can just go off and spend as long as you want in it.

Sorry Chris, but FD got it three years ago. Like seriously. Still selling other people ideas and dreams as yours it seems. Disgusting.

Last edited:
UNIVERSE! 100 Systems. Small universe.

Well, the human explored universe is 1 star system in real life, and just 1 planet human populated. Yet humanity has been capable of having thousands of years of fun just with that small amount of playable area...

- - - - - Additional Content Posted / Auto Merge - - - - -

Sorry Chris, but FD got it three years ago. Like seriously. Still selling other people ideas and dreams as yours it seems. Disgusting.

In that case, there is no need to fear of him not delivering the game. Since it's something which has already been done several times, it should be piece of cake even for any mismanaged team of noob developers, right?

Last edited:
No sane person would demand undeniable proof before becoming suspicious. We're not in a court of law, we're just a bunch of people noticing very fishy stuff happening. Noone is proving a claim, we're just pointing out that SC is starting to smell funny. You may argue you like the smell, but its still weird to some others. Including me.
We would be in civil court. Burden of proof is "more likely than not...".

In that case, there is no need to fear of him not delivering the game. Since it's something which has already been done several times, it should be piece of cake even for any mismanaged team of noob developers, right?

I think you are doing them a dis-service in their ability to constantly surprise!

Well, the human explored universe is 1 star system in real life, and just 1 planet human populated. Yet humanity has been capable of having thousands of years of fun just with that small amount of playable area...

At least FD honestly describe their game as a Galaxy simulation. Roberts on the other hand. Universe, don't think so.

There is apparently a discount for cash if you are in one of the handily identifiable open wallet classes such as concierge or subscriber or you attend cit Con!

Great I'll have three .... Oh wait, I am not any of those so I will pass ....

It actually blows my mind that ships are still being released and sold for that sort of money when surely the time and effort would be better off spent on the basics. Like releasing a working game and then expanding the available fleet a little later on.

Two things always come to mind regards this sort of thing and Star Citizen, one is The Emperor's New Clothes by Hans Christian Andersen and the other is Obi-WAN .....

[video=youtube_share;x0ow4X8tiMI]https://youtu.be/x0ow4X8tiMI[/video]

Last edited:

Just because something is possible for a well run cleverly financed successful company with a plan and a proven track record on delivering, doesn't mean it's equally possible for companies that have yet to prove they are any of those things.

It's like comparing an Olympic medal winning swimmer with someone who just bought a pair of speedo's with borrowed money.

In other news: According to the funding spreadsheet, CIG has earned 1,244,634 dollars until now (counted from GMT-6, IIRC), and the day isn't over yet. I wonder if the Concierge/subscriber-only discount is going to be active throughout CitCon, if not, we could very rougly calculate a number of "privileged" people who could have bought Polaris at a discounted price. If I remember correctly, the discounted, real-money only price is 625 dollars, which gives us at most 1991 buyers.

Is there anything stopping CIG from buying some of these ships themselves, to make it appear they are selling well?

Just asking, as they don't seem to publish any accounts.

Last edited:
Is there anything stopping CIG from buying some of these ships themselves, to make it appear they are selling well?

There's nothing, but I find it quite easy to believe that few thousand backers are ready to shell out large amount of money for the promise of their dream game. Whales are a proven phenomenon in games with cash shops, and I can't see why SC should be different.

I don't think they make up incoming numbers. They are very sush about their expenses though.

Btw, is there any actual news from today? Or all what's left is tomorrow? Really curious.

Last edited:
I was all set up to watch their twitch from yesterday and whatever they plan on showing today, and completely forgot that the chromecast just shows an annoying twitch logo and expects you to sign in to some silly service before it will cast those streams.

No, just no. The lulz just aren't worth it.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom