The Star Citizen Thread v5

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
And most will probably be refactored once or more for optimization and balancing, if not for another Vision©® adjustment. So flyable? yes, close to completion? Not in a near future.

Yep. The people posting like that have woken up and they won't lulled again as easily.

It happened for me sometime during last year, but it happened. Once the rose tinted glass filter has been taken off and you look at how CIG has operated at the very least since the end of 2014, all the inconsistencies, the small and big lies, all the eyewash they've been doing with their regular talk shows, it falls apart. You finally realize that there is a simple truth: They've spend about five years on development (no matter what Chris Roberts retroactively wants us to believe), they've gathered 130$ Mio. (by their own accounts) and they have no more than a pre apha tech demo to give to backers for it, despite claiming to deliver the sky.

Any further delay of 2.6 or Squadron 42 is only going to alienate those recently "awoken" people even more. If (!) Frontier manages to start season 3 around summer next year and it indeed brings space legs, there's going ot be a fallout on a whole other level as even the first person space universe USP will be dilluted.

They've spend about five years on development (no matter what Chris Roberts retroactively wants us to believe), they've gathered 130$ Mio. (by their own accounts)

This is the part I'd like to see get investigated.
IMO, crowdfunding is one big shady business with little or no accountability towards the backers (it's developer's free will) regarding spending of the funds.
No one cares how funds are being spent until problems arise, but when they do, then the developing studio has no obligation to disclose the information to backers, and the backers have no possibility to ask that information if/when they feel is needed (like now).

Last edited:
This is the part I'd like to see get investigated.
IMO, crowdfunding is one big shady business with little or no accountability towards the backers (it's developer's free will) regarding spending of the funds.
No one cares how funds are being spent until problems arise, but when they do, then the developing studio has no obligation to disclose the information to backers, and the backers have no possibility to ask that information if/when they feel is needed (like now).

Well, crowdfunding brought us many excellent games in the last years. It saved Obsidian Entertainment from bankruptcy, made inXile and HBS leading cRPG studies. A modern cRPG Engine was developed by Obsidian and inXile, bringing us downstream many more excellent games (Tyranny) not funded by the crowd. Not to forget, it confirmed the interest in a new Elite game, bringing us all here together. For me Kickstarter is one of the most important developments in the game industry in the last years. And to be frank, i never (that's true) considered StarCitzen a crowdfunded game in the classical sense. They were selling ships from day one. I criticised this from day one. No other successful crowdfunded game has provided any advantages from higher pledges. Even more so, any attempt to go in this direction (e.g. extra backer missions) was shouted down by the backing crowd immediately. SC and it's community are the singular exception.

Last edited:
For me Kickstarter is one of the most important developments in the game industry in the last years.

Kickstarter, and I'd include early access titles. Different concepts, which sometimes went hand in hand, but it's allowed games to thrive that we might otherwise never have seen. Minecraft, Ark, Subnautica. All that leads to a ressurgence of "medium profile" games, compared to the "AAA" titles.

Star Citizen is pretty unique among kickstarted games, having always touted "AAA" claim.

Last edited:
Well, crowdfunding brought us many excellent games in the last years. It saved Obsidian Entertainment from bankruptcy, made inXile and HBS leading cRPG studies. A modern cRPG Engine was developed by Obsidian and inXile, bringing us downstream many more excellent games (Tyranny) not funded by the crowd. Not to forget, it confirmed the interest in a new Elite game, bringing us all here together. For me Kickstarter is one of the most important developments in the game industry in the last years. And to be frank, i never (that's true) considered StarCitzen a crowdfunded game in the classical sense. They were selling ships from day one. I criticised this from day one. No other successful crowdfunded game has provided any advantages from higher pledges. Even more so, any attempt to go in this direction (e.g. extra backer missions) was shouted down by the backing crowd immediately. SC and it's community are the singular exception.

I think SC is example how concept of crowdfunding can be exploited with disastrous results. However, I wouldn't write down concept as whole due of existence of this project. Any other ambitious person would have done SC right in my opinion - given proper engagement, evoluion of capabilities, building base and so on. I am ready to bet no one cared about original premise of delivering game in 2014 if SC would have Alpha 3.0 already here (as advertised during Gamescom). Issue is that CR lied, continues to lie and will lie because he simply can't deliver. He is not right guy to back, he is not right guy for a job.

TLDR crowdfunding works (there's enough examples for it delivering and then some), and when it's not, you shouldn't continue to prop up failed project. If you choose to do so with all information available, you are only one to blame.

I see Kickstarter and all the Kickstarter-like websites no more than tools to achieve something.

Give a sharp carvig knife to an Artist and he will create something priceless. Give it to the wrong person and he would harm himslef and/or others.
No need to ban sharp carving knives.

I see Kickstarter and all the Kickstarter-like websites no more than tools to achieve something.

Give a sharp carvig knife to an Artist and he will create something priceless. Give it to the wrong person and he would harm himslef and/or others.

Right. But civilised countries have things called 'laws' to make sure you dont get stabbed every day by a wrong person with a carving knive.

Right. But civilised countries have things called 'laws' to make sure you dont get stabbed every day by a wrong person with a carving knive.

Maybe, if all breaks apart in the end, after another $100 million have been wasted, we will see some regulation - the StarCitizen Act. Like: All pledges containing in-game objects (ships) count as pre-order and can be refunded if not delivered (as advertised).

Well there ARE rules with Kickstarter that say "If you get money you have to deliver a products".
Same way people get stabbed and killed in real life despite the "laws" so... yeah.

Scamming people on crowdfunding is victimless crime, unless there's some real issues involved (like people spending 10k for ships). So while I agree laws are good, let's not go overboard. Calling people clueless on Internet is a bit long stretch. Most of SC backers have willingly ignored available information for years. It is kinda it's own special storm.

I agree that Kickstarter or other crowdfunding venues are important and useful, but Star Citizen's failure will be a major blow to it, considering how many funding records they broke.

Scamming people on crowdfunding is victimless crime, unless there's some real issues involved (like people spending 10k for ships). So while I agree laws are good, let's not go overboard. Calling people clueless on Internet is a bit long stretch. Most of SC backers have willingly ignored available information for years. It is kinda it's own special storm.

Word of caution. My point simply is that Kickster and the likes are not evil or a scam by definition but simply tools people can use to do what they want.
For good or bad. Peace.

Isn't it more the case though, that they stopped the "Kickstarter" phase once they reached their initial very low target? Everything after that was this nebulous "pledge" idea... donations with sales tax, etc

I agree that Kickstarter or other crowdfunding venues are important and useful, but Star Citizen's failure will be a major blow to it, considering how many funding records they broke.

I agree but also think that some damage is already been done.......sure the worst is yet to come...

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom