The Star Citizen Thread v5

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I must remember to win arguments by simply stating "and apparently looks like I'm in the right." Oh wait, that doesn't actually work.

It's interesting to see this resistance to accepting that they are just buying unmade digital goods. I guess if you put it that way, it sounds like prime suckerdom rather than a noble enterprise to fuel the most ambitious dream ever dreamed by a pudgy guy in slimming black.

Ah well, just another case of bravely fighting the big publishers by embracing tactics that even EA would recoil at.

Last edited:
I must remember to win arguments by simply stating "and apparently looks like I'm in the right." Oh wait, that doesn't actually work.

actually, I was pointing out that the U.S. doesn't charge taxes on pledges... apparently, I'm correct about that. funny you selectively omitted that part of my quote.

So yes, here.. it does work :)

- - - Updated - - -

Well, exactly that is the problem.

No need for that. I was only interested if it was a well-founded statement or not. That question was answered.

exactly the point. Over generalizations just don't win the day.

Last edited:
That's a very good point-- maybe in the EU you're charged VAT, but in the U.S., THERE IS NO sales tax on pledges .... so... I guess by your logic... not a sale, eh?

I think I see the finer issue here.. there really is a distinction between the U.S. and EU here. I can't speak to the EU. I look at it as a donation, and apparently looks like I'm in the right.

:)

EU citizens have more legislative protection from scams.

You missed this bit:

People have received death threats for asking for or getting refunds by cultists saying it's just a donation your not entitled to your money back.

People have been repeatedly lied to about their rights as customers by random strangers on the internet claiming to be experts.

People are sick of lies, broken promises, missed dates, threats and the cult.

But it's not a sore spot for people who've refunded or never bought in, it just shakes the confidence of the overly invested.

Last edited by a moderator:
apparently, I'm correct about that. funny you selectively omitted that part of my quote.

They aren't a charity, they aren't a non-profit. You're buying digital goods that aren't even digital or good yet. No wonder you have to twist yourself into knots about the nature of these transactions.

Last edited:
It's interesting to see this resistance to accepting that they are just buying unmade digital goods. I guess if you put it that way, it sounds like prime suckerdom rather than a noble enterprise to fuel the most ambitious dream ever dreamed by a pudgy guy in slimming black.

Ah well, just another case of bravely fighting the big publishers by embracing tactics that even EA would recoil at.

The problem is that someone, about ten pages ago, and it may have been me, casually said that paying money to CIG was a donation. Several people have expended time and effort to convince us that pledges are actually purchases.
I keep saying that I view my pledge as supporting the game, with the added benefit of getting a cool ship. There's really no way to against that, and I don't see why others are trying to convince me otherwise. that's how I see it.
If others want to view it as buying a ship, that's the way they view it, and I'm totally fine with it -- but they're going to be the most dissapointed players in the game , since you're not getting a ship in most cases when you pledge.

Anyway, I realyl, really would love to know why this is such a sticking point, and why others are trying to convince me that my subjective view on this can't possibly be correct.

- - - Updated - - -

They aren't a charity, they aren't a non-profit. You're buying digital goods that aren't even digital or good yet. No wonder if you have to twist yourself into knots about the nature of these transactions.

that's not how I view it, I view it as supporting the game.
Funny you haven't addressed the tax issue.. I'll just assume we agree on that.

I did, and I don't see it.
Look again. It's trivial for you to find since you can just look at your own posts.

I understand why you don't want to repost.
Because your dismissive and snide tone has made me disinclined to be helpful about something you don't need any help with.

Go back and read what I wrote. Again. Just like when you first responded to it. Then read the second (and third… and now fourth) post where it was explained to you.

Last edited:
The problem is that someone, about ten pages ago, and it may have been me, casually said that paying money to CIG was a donation. Several people have expended time and effort to convince us that pledges are actually purchases.
I keep saying that I view my pledge as supporting the game, with the added benefit of getting a cool ship.

It's a legal issue, not feelings issue. It doesn't matter what you think about that, it won't change the reality.

exactly the point. Over generalizations just don't win the day.

Someone asked what the law was, I complied to answer.

There was no malice in what I said, just an: "if you're not sure then look it up to satisfy your own curiosity" If people take that wrong, well thats on them. :shrug:

I view my pledge as supporting the game, with the added benefit of getting a cool ship.
…and no-one denies you the right to view your purchase as a pledge or even as a donation. It's just that what you view it as does not change what it is. Just a tip: you definitely do not want to consider it a pledge, since that would mean that CIG owes you money. Well, on second thought, you probably do want to consider it as such, but I'm sure CIG would not. :D

Oh, and the reason there is no sales tax on pledges is that pledges are not sales — they're (unsurprisingly) pledges, where there's nothing to tax until the debt is settled either by repayment or by a final transfer of ownership.

why others are trying to convince me that my subjective view on this can't possibly be correct.
Because your subjective view does not change the objective reality of what it is or how the terms are defined. This, too, has been explained to you many times over, so it's really strange that it's still such a point of confusion for you.

Last edited:
So... is it just me who kinda likes the Hurricane design? I have seen voices stating it has too much similiarities to Vanguard, but I'm not seeing that. It has no unneeded greebles and yet doesn't look like something from Ace Combat.

Last edited:

Yaffle

Volunteer Moderator
I really can't believe how hard it must be to remember this...

DO NOT insult each other, or snipe at each other, or try to induce each other into making replies that do either. I still have a whole bagful of infractions I can hand out if you continue.

Anyway, I realyl, really would love to know why this is such a sticking point, and why others are trying to convince me that my subjective view on this can't possibly be correct.

You may want to look at post #36706, there it`s explained.

If that`s true I can understand the emotional discussion. I can decide for myself how to handle the situation, but others should have the right to do what they think is within their own interest.

I finally got into the game. I'd say it's was worse than the version before it. Still couldn't get my own ship to spawn, but since I was playing with a friend I got to ride/fall out of his connie.

Pro List.

- Game loaded in.
- I wasn't invisible.
- underwear party on the landing pad.

Con list.

- Can't spawn my own ship.
- Fell out of my friend's ship(Ha!)
- space combat feels...off, like it's super arcady.
- The ring fell off the station, it wiped everyone on the station as it zipped through everything.
- The lag while flying the connie! I think it took 30 seconds of 3 frames per second for the server to understand to take us out of warp.
- A weird spawning thing happens with pirates, couldn't get to loot with out more popping in at the wrong time.
- everything is too close to the character's face, couldn't see half of my screens.

It's still the most boring demo I've played, and I seriously don't see much movement from this time last year. Two bases added in and star marine. Where is the solar system(s)?

I'll check back in on the next version.

Last edited:
So... is it just me who kinda likes the Hurricane design? I have seen voices stating it has too much similiarities to Vanguard, but I'm not seeing that. It has no unneeded greebles and yet doesn't look like something from Ace Combat.

Much to my surprise I actually do like it. The usual SC designs are messy and full of greebles. The 300 series at least has a nice silhouette, and so does this new Hurricane. Sadly they are the exceptions.

If the whole lineup looked more like the Hurticane, the game would have a better aesthetic. Even the Turret has enough firepowet to make playing as a gunner viable. Of course they are going to mess that up by alllowing the pilot to shoot those guns as well, if the ship ever actually gets released that is.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom